2019 edge rushers first look

maury77

On 9/2/2018 at 8:13 AM, maury77 said:

I think the Jets will be good enough that Bosa will not be a realistic option for them, so I have my eyes on Burns and Sweat. 

I would  throw Kentucky’s Josh Allen in there as maybe a late first round guy.  Looks the part of an every down 3-4 OLB.  

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I actually watched Allen play in high school.  He is a Jersey kid from Montclair.  Didn’t have a ton of D1 interest coming out.  He’s grown an inch and put on 25 pounds since entering college.  

I can't pretend to know him at that level. I haven't even really dug into the film that's out there.... just a few clips here and there. But then I watched him this week and boy... that guy looks like he's gonna be steal. He can do it all. 

On 9/4/2018 at 8:48 AM, sec101row23 said:

I would would throw Kentucky’s Josh Allen in there as maybe a late first round guy.  Looks the part of an every down 3-4 OLB.  

I like him too if he keeps playing like this no way we can draft him he’ll be long gone

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:48 AM, sec101row23 said:

I would would throw Kentucky’s Josh Allen in there as maybe a late first round guy.  Looks the part of an every down 3-4 OLB.  

I was about to say that what the Jets need is a guy who plays OLB not DE. So yes, a pass rusher but someone super athletic and quick. While I would take Bosa anyway- he's just such an elite talent- a more realistic option might be Josh Allen, the best Pass Rushing OLB prospect. I'm not sure if he can be a true 3 down LB, maybe, he certainly doesn't have coverage skills. But he is solid against the run, and has the size, speed and pass rushing ability to stay on the field in most situations.

The Jets won 5 games last year and ended up with the 6th pick. If they win 8 this year, they will probably be out of the running for Allen.  

6 hours ago, PepPep said:

I was about to say that what the Jets need is a guy who plays OLB not DE. So yes, a pass rusher but someone super athletic and quick. While I would take Bosa anyway- he's just such an elite talent- a more realistic option might be Josh Allen, the best Pass Rushing OLB prospect. I'm not sure if he can be a true 3 down LB, maybe, he certainly doesn't have coverage skills. But he is solid against the run, and has the size, speed and pass rushing ability to stay on the field in most situations.

The Jets won 5 games last year and ended up with the 6th pick. If they win 8 this year, they will probably be out of the running for Allen.  

i would contest that statement. 

I've got to watch the 2018 tape on Allen. I watched some of his 2017 tape. Definitely a very good player, but I have questions about how his skill set may translate to the NFL. He needs to add weight and strength, along with adding some pass rush moves. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 3:12 PM, maury77 said:

I've got to watch the 2018 tape on Allen. I watched some of his 2017 tape. Definitely a very good player, but I have questions about how his skill set may translate to the NFL. He needs to add weight and strength, along with adding some pass rush moves. 

He's stepped up this year, IMO. His game against Florida will be heavily leaned on coming next feb-march. 

Pauline recently singled him out as a riser w/ rnd 1 potential. 

On 9/15/2018 at 6:09 PM, Paradis said:

i would contest that statement. 

I watched the Kentucky/ Miss. State game on a replay and Allen was in coverage a bit and looked smooth.  As far as 3-4 OLB prospects go, he checks many of the boxes.  There aren’t a lot of these guys around.  

1) the way we are going we'll have our choice of guys to draft;

2) they way we are going, we might have a new coach, new DC and thus a different defensive scheme.

I do think we are going pass rusher in next years draft though.  The O-line could be upgraded by overspending in FA.  There should be better players available then what we have now (although that's obviously not saying much)

On 9/30/2018 at 6:48 AM, sec101row23 said:

Allen with 3 sacks last night, plays in space nice, still looking the part of a proto-typical 3-4 OLB.  

If he keeps this up, it only cements his legitimacy as a prospect... meaning he'll skyrocket up boards. 

But, don't think any player will be out of reach for the Jets at this rate. Yeesh.  

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

If he keeps this up, it only cements his legitimacy as a prospect... meaning he'll skyrocket up boards. 

But, don't think any player will be out of reach for the Jets at this rate. Yeesh.  

Agreed, even if Allen has a meteoric rise, realistically the Jets should be within striking distance.  

I keep seeing  a lot of DTs being pushed up the boards also, that could prove helpful in landing an edge guy.  

Agreed, even if Allen has a meteoric rise, realistically the Jets should be within striking distance.  

I keep seeing  a lot of DTs being pushed up the boards also, that could prove helpful in landing an edge guy.  

A bunch of highly touted DTs sitting on the board when we pick is a scary thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

As we predicted, it's starting--

Josh Allen - LB - Wildcats

Pro Football Focus has Kentucky senior LB Josh Allen as the highest graded edge-defender through Week 5.

This would likely be Joey Bosa if he was eligible, but because he's missed the past few weeks with injury, the spot goes to Allen. Deservedly so. Benny Snell gets the most recognition for the 5-0 Wildcats, but Allen (6'5/250) is a big reason for Kentucky's success. He has won 30.6 percent of his pass-rushing opportunities -- best in the FBS among edges -- and he also has a stout 82.0 grade against the run. Allen would have been a late Day 2 pick at best if he had entered the draft in 2018. He absolutely is on the first-round board right now. He has to be.

Looks like my boys are rolling with a few legit ones.

Jachai Polite is very intriguing.  6 sacks on the year. 8 tackles for loss.  Dude has been wreaking havoc the past few weeks.

Vosean Joseph - if you tuned into LSU vs. Florida this weekend it was impossible to miss Joseph.  He was a man possessed.  14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 3.5 tackles for loss.  

Jabari Zuniga is probably more prototype. 4.5 sacks on the year, 8 tackles for loss, and can be a real load to block.

Only issues are size.  Joseph is 6'1 230 ish, Polite is 6'3 245.  He reminds of Dwight Freeney a little bit.  Zuniga weighs in around 6'4, 260.

23 hours ago, JiF said:

Looks like my boys are rolling with a few legit ones.

Jachai Polite is very intriguing.  6 sacks on the year. 8 tackles for loss.  Dude has been wreaking havoc the past few weeks.

Vosean Joseph - if you tuned into LSU vs. Florida this weekend it was impossible to miss Joseph.  He was a man possessed.  14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 3.5 tackles for loss.  

Jabari Zuniga is probably more prototype. 4.5 sacks on the year, 8 tackles for loss, and can be a real load to block.

Only issues are size.  Joseph is 6'1 230 ish, Polite is 6'3 245.  He reminds of Dwight Freeney a little bit.  Zuniga weighs in around 6'4, 260.

thats funny - I logged on just now after reading my gator midseason report, and was going to post on Polite as someone who needs to be in the conversation...

Kind of ashamed to admit that i didn't realize how seriously hot this kid is right now. He's looked good of course, but when I dissected the numbers, he's balling like Allen or Bosa

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

thats funny - I logged on just now after reading my gator midseason report, and was going to post on Polite as someone who needs to be in the conversation...

Kind of ashamed to admit that i didn't realize how seriously hot this kid is right now. He's looked good of course, but when I dissected the numbers, he's balling like Allen or Bosa

Ever since Kentucky, Polite has been an absolute monster.  4 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 12 tackles, 6 for losses.  Dude is playing out of his mind.  Joseph too.  He's fun to watch.  Not sure what he could play at the next level but he absolutely flies to the ball and can bend and work through blocks as good as I've seen and he might the hardest hitter on the team.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 4:28 PM, JiF said:

Ever since Kentucky, Polite has been an absolute monster.  4 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 12 tackles, 6 for losses.  Dude is playing out of his mind.  Joseph too.  He's fun to watch.  Not sure what he could play at the next level but he absolutely flies to the ball and can bend and work through blocks as good as I've seen and he might the hardest hitter on the team.  

Polite is routinely being mentioned as a first round guy now.  Insane amount of edge guys in this draft.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So... that meteoric rise we expected, came early.

Allen is now being mocked consistently in the top 10, and recently trending in the top 5.

Ledyard has him at #2... FFS! 

Suddenly not even a lock at 3 that we'll get a crack at this bastard. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

So... that meteoric rise we expected, came early.

Allen is now being mocked consistently in the top 10, and recently trending in the top 5.

Ledyard has him at #2... FFS! 

Suddenly not even a lock at 3 that we'll get a crack at this bastard. 

I'm coming around to Allen being the Jets pick. Local kid too (from Montclair, NJ). 

5 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I'm coming around to Allen being the Jets pick. Local kid too (from Montclair, NJ). 

I’m pretty much there. His competition is nonexistent, really. DTs?... no thanks. I don’t think any of the WR are soooo good, or maybe more aptly put, are sooo much better than the mid round guys that I would take one over Allen. 

Tackle is really the only discussion... I don’t know. Not seeing any Joe Thomases... and Allen is going to be a Suggs caliber playmaker IMO. 

Archived