2019 Head Coaching Candiates

GreenWhite

Let’s all assume that the team will stink again this year because of a rookie QB, below avg talent, and the worst HC in the NFL. 

Who do you want next year?

Candiates: 

Jim Harbaugh-Reports are coming out that he is on the hot seat after the loss to ND 

Todd Haley-If the Browns have a good year I think he could be an option

Jeremy Bates- If the offense performs well and Darnold likes him it could be a Lovie Smith/Dirk Kettering situation 

John DeFillipio-Jets seem to like him 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, GreenWhite said:

Let’s all assume that the team will stink again this year because of a rookie QB, below avg talent, and the worst HC in the NFL. 

Who do you want next year?

Candiates: 

Jim Harbaugh-Reports are coming out that he is on the hot seat after the loss to ND 

Todd Haley-If the Browns have a good year I think he could be an option

Jeremy Bates- If the offense performs well and Darnold likes him it could be a Lovie Smith/Dirk Kettering situation 

John DeFillipio-Jets seem to like him 

Todd Haley?.in NY? Yeah he wouldn't last a week with his mouth.

I'm gonna assume the Jets are good this season.

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Lets assume we'll suck.

BEFORE a single snap of the 2018 season.  LOL.

Well make no mistake I do believe we will suck to some degree but I agree with the whole 1st snap thing.

Oh and if Harbaugh can't win at Michigan why would we want him here in NY? You know there is a lot of pressure to win in Ann Arbor and times that by infinity in NY. Michigan looked bad last nite and they have talent but Harbaugh ain't getting it done IMO. Just food for thought.

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well make no mistake I do believe we will suck to some degree but I agree with the whole 1st snap thing.

Oh and if Harbaugh can't win at Michigan why would we want him here in NY? You know there is a lot of pressure to win in Ann Arbor and times that by infinity in NY. Michigan looked bad last nite and they have talent but Harbaugh ain't getting it done IMO. Just food for thought.

There is infinitely more pressure to win at UM than there is here. Hell, just look at this thread: you and Nut are in here talking about how a bad season this year—after back to back 5-11’s, is fiiiiiine. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

THE ANSWER IS JAMES JOSEPH HARBAUGH.

Gotta say the la de da pace of the Michigan offense was hauntingly familiar. You're down 2 scores, you gotta throw the ball and you cannot huddle up. And still, they were doing exactly that. ND nearly effed up and gave Michigan a shot. And not convinced ND is any good. You would think this should have been a Michigan win going away. The cute recruiting stories only go so far if you lose big games.  

Just a year after getting an extension, there are only 2 ways Bowles gets fired this year:

1. The Jets finish with 4 wins or fewer.

2. There's another indication he doesn't have control of the team. Based on the current roster makeup I think this is unlikely.

He'll have a build-in excuse on offense (rookie QB plus a bad OL) and defense (no edge rusher, and maybe an injury, despite getting what he's wanted at the other 10 starting positions). I think they're weak excuses that don't wash away the types of decisions he's made, but those will be the excuses. 

I don't think we'll see #1 either. 4 games against the Bills and Dolphins should net 2-3 wins, plus Cleveland again, and the Colts, Texans, and Bengals... there ought to be at least 5 wins in that half of the schedule. Plus there's always the chance we play a game or two against teams with injuries to their key starters again among the rest. Darnold would have to be hideous to lose them all - or all but a few - in which case Bowles would have his excuse.

He's coming back in 2019. Accept it.

5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Thank you.  Hes been a nightmare in Michigan.  Is 1-6 in his last 7 against ranked opponents.  His record since his hot start when he took over the program would lead anyone else to being fired.  He has 3 games that he will be judged on this year, we'll see.  But his failed record, which people want to continue so we can get him?  I get it, he had a team in SF that was loaded and got to a SB but since?

7 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Gotta say the la de da pace of the Michigan offense was hauntingly familiar. You're down 2 scores, you gotta throw the ball and you cannot huddle up. And still, they were doing exactly that. ND nearly effed up and gave Michigan a shot. And not convinced ND is any good. You would think this should have been a Michigan win going away. The cute recruiting stories only go so far if you lose big games.  

Agree he hasn’t gotten it done at UM, but the Big 10 is a disgusting conference where you have to field a team of 100 kids who shouldn’t be allowed on a college campus in the first place. That’s why Urban dominates it: because he has no compunction regarding the exploitation of illiterate 18-year old serial killers and rapists in the pursuit of beating Kent State 76-3. Harbaugh was a massive success everywhere else, though, and you’ll take that, especially here, and especially if it means moving away from Bowles and Maccagnan.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Just a year after getting an extension, there are only 2 ways Bowles gets fired this year:

2. There's another indication he doesn't have control of the team. Based on the current roster makeup I think this is unlikely.

He'll have a build-in excuse on offense (rookie QB plus a bad OL) and defense (no edge rusher, and maybe an injury, despite getting what he's wanted at the other 10 starting positions). I think they're weak excuses that don't wash away the types of decisions he's made, but those will be the excuses. 

I don't think we'll see #1 either. 4 games against the Bills and Dolphins should net 2-3 wins, plus Cleveland again, and the Colts, Texans, and Bengals... there ought to be at least 5 wins in that half of the schedule. Plus there's always the chance we play a game or two against teams with injuries to their key starters again among the rest. Darnold would have to be hideous to lose them all - or all but a few - in which case Bowles would have his excuse.

totally agree of the conditions needed to launch bowles.  but right now i prefer to be optimistic and want to see this team play a few games before making up my mind.  darnold being the real deal will go a long way to solving this team's issues.

I honestly don't love the HC talk before the season even starts...but in a world where Bowles gets canned, I have absolutely zero (less than zero, really) interest in seeing a Harbaugh in NY. Seems to scream trouble to me. A thoughtful, creative guy like Shaw would be interesting, though I'm not sure how much interest he would have in moving up to the NFL. 

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Mostly agreed, but the x-factor is that Christopher Johnson seems to be smarter and more self-aware than Woody, and there *appears* to be some fracturing in the front office that could indicate a move away from what is, by any measure, a failed regime at the top.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Agree he hasn’t gotten it done at UM, but the Big 10 is a disgusting conference where you have to field a team of 100 kids who shouldn’t be allowed on a college campus in the first place. That’s why Urban dominates it: because he has no compunction regarding the exploitation of illiterate 18-year old serial killers and rapists in the pursuit of beating Kent State 76-3. Harbaugh was a massive success everywhere else, though, and you’ll take that, especially here, and especially if it means moving away from Bowles and Maccagnan.

Yes. Would be less upset over the recruiting failure if there was a ass-kicking coaching philosophy. Harbaugh is a bright guy, think he gets lost in the weeds instead of being totally cutthroat. He would be a major improvement over this dreck. 

Would like to think Bates' appearance and McCown getting $10 million to hold a clipboard have something to do with the 2019 Jets coaching staff, but the Johnsons aren't that kind of smart. Entirely plausible they  may have lucked into 2 serious offensive guys here right now and they'll still eff that up. 

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There is infinitely more pressure to win at UM than there is here. Hell, just look at this thread: you and Nut are in here talking about how a bad season this year—after back to back 5-11’s, is fiiiiiine. 

I'm not saying its fine I'm saying its what I expect. I'm also resigned to the fact that while I would love to see Bowles exit stage left chances are that he will be here next year. They will use the rookie QB cliche and we didn't expect the playoffs bla bla bla bullsh*t.

As for more pressure to win at U of M yes for a place where a 1 or 2 loss season is considered a failure there is pressure but compared to the media scrutiny in NY and the expectations that will come with a Harbaugh hire it really doesn't compare. Results are going to be the barometer in which JH is judged on this year. If He doesn't beat Ohio State and Michigan after losing the opener to ND Harbaugh is going to be in trouble but I don't think he will be fired unless they really look terrible. Harbaugh may get one more season after this and he may not but if he is fired he will not be a HC anywhere in 2019 IMO. 2020? A different story but I think he takes a year off before considering another HC gig.

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah but he has one of the top 5 best jobs in NCAAF.  He doesnt struggle to sell the program to recruits and should be more successful than hes been

IF Bowles survives this year and I think it’s more than likely, there absolutely has to be a playoff mandate next year.

Load up on smart FA aquisitions (mainly O-line-pass rusher), resign our FAs like our wideouts and hit next year hard. A 5th year competeive rebuild and then full blown rebuild is too much time but that has to be the absolute limit. I think we can all agree on that.

The only 2 “unexpected” years of 2015 and 2017 were due to fluke career years from Fitz and McCown. It has nothing to do with Todd Bowles coaching ability. Let’s hope the Jets do well in 2018 but this is the last year of “no expectations”. 

With the extension, I don't think Bowles is going anywhere until after next season. That's the year we are supposed to be ready, and that will make or break him. What I don't understand, is Macc and Johnson allowing Bowles to fire Morton, yet keep his guy Kacey. Don't get me wrong, I like what I see so far with our new OC, but if Morton was a problem, what exactly was our DC? 

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah well you are giving him a pass for losing to Michigan State who has a lot of egg on its face right now but the Football program is clean compared to everything else, at least as clean as any program can be in this day and age. Wisconsin is another program that is pretty clean as well. Michigan has gone through QB's at an alarming rate and it could be argued that Harbaughs hot start occurred with players he did not recruit and did not sign. The rest is all on him. These are guys he brought in and recruited and they have the talent but are not getting it done on the field. Thats coaching as we both know. Close up Harbaugh has been an ordinary coach at the collegiate level and I think what we are seeing now is the real JH. Time to judge him on what he is now not what he was in San Fran.

54 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

LOL. Already?

I couldn't agree more. For the first time in forever, we actually have hope for the future with Sam. Sure, maybe we will stink but the games should be exciting; no more suck for Sam, we have Sam and already people are looking towards 2019. Enjoy the moment, there will be plenty of time to be miserable (if we in deed do suck) later.

46 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

This thread is an example of how no fans whine like Jets fans.

Not whining.  Perhaps a bit anticipatory is all.

Look, I am on record that I don't believe Bowles is a good NFL HC.  I singled out the game where he took a knee with over a minute left in the first half and 2 time outs because he didn't feel like there was any point in trying to score (I think it was @BUF).  To me, that's not NFL HC mindset.  But there were countless other examples where, IMO, he didn't appear to understand clock management, or game situations, and certainly didn't seem to be able to control or motivate some of our more challenging personalities.  He also isn't squeezing lemonade out of our defense which is supposed to be why we hired him.  Apparently, he didn't learn everything Bruce Arians had to teach.  

Now flip it around.  What is Bowles really good at that we can build on?  I can't see anything.  Not a single thing he is above average it.

So we come to the start of the season.  Getting Darnold, who hopefully will shine, isn't going to make Bowles a better HC.  He may win more games but unless I see real signs that Bowles has grown as a HC (which I allow for the possibility of), I'm not going to be any more satisfied with him as our HC next year, which is to say, not at all.  I want the team to win every game this year, and I want Bowles to have 'the light go on' and become an effective HC.  But I don't expect it.  So if a compelling HC candidate were to surface at any time this season, barring an obvious turnaround in Bowles' abilities, I'm interested.

9 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Yeah well you are giving him a pass for losing to Michigan State who has a lot of egg on its face right now but the Football program is clean compared to everything else, at least as clean as any program can be in this day and age. Wisconsin is another program that is pretty clean as well. Michigan has gone through QB's at an alarming rate and it could be argued that Harbaughs hot start occurred with players he did not recruit and did not sign. The rest is all on him. These are guys he brought in and recruited and they have the talent but are not getting it done on the field. Thats coaching as we both know. Close up Harbaugh has been an ordinary coach at the collegiate level and I think what we are seeing now is the real JH. Time to judge him on what he is now not what he was in San Fran.

You’re describing recruiting problems, not coaching problems. And why should UM be evidence of “The Real JH” and not Stanford, San Diego State, or the 49ers? The UM job is legendarily difficult, with the most entitled, douchebag alums next to Notre Dame. That program hasn’t won a national title in 30 years but they expect one every year.

Look, he hasn’t gotten it done there and I predicted from the beginning that he’d burn out there, and quickly. He’s a weird dude with no patience for the glad-handing and kissing boosters’ asses. And he’d come here and the media would haaaaate him and he’d get a bunch of front office people fired. BUT, he might compete for a title within four years and he’d teach Sam Darnold a sh*t-ton about playing QB.

Bowles is not going anywhere.

I am off the Harbaugh train he seems to have become crazier as time as gone on and Michigan can't beat anyone good at all.

I like that we are giving the HC job to bates if the offense does well, the offense did well for morton and gailey and they got fired.

If we are looking for a young offense minded head coach how abut a look at Lincoln Riley, he may be too green I suppose.

If he did not have about 3 awful qualities that exclude him a guy like mcdaniels would be good.

Edit:  Oh and whoever got the job i would demand they bring in wade phillips as DC.

We really have to be real bad this year for them to fire Bowles. With the rookie QB he has a built in excuse- the most I can not get from Bowles he is a defensive guy and this defense has not been good in his tenure

I used to be against this idea, but I’d love to see a special teams coach be given a shot who has good leadership ability. I’m sick of the coordinator who comes in and focuses on one side of the ball and wants all the draft picks and attention on that side. We need a leader who can hire good smart coordinators in all three phases, and can set the tone for the team and the direction. All that said, we will have three more years of Bowles 

Archived