2018 NY Jets Practice Squad

Maxman

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And guess who has 0 sacks and 3 tackles and is unemployed?

It sounds like Balt used Kaufus as a down lineman. He missed his rookie year due to breaking his ankle. His pre-draft reports and reports from this years Balt TC said he seems to be more suited for a standing up role. He pre-draft report said he needed to get alittle stronger and develop his game more.  He played basketball at BYU too. I wonder how the Jets view and plan to use him.   

Kaufus, OT Dieugot Joseph and DB JClark are the three PS guys that I'm interested in this season (besides obviously Webb). 

I hope at the very least they can remain on the Jets PS all season. If they get promoted to the 53 at some point, great.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, C Mart said:

It sounds like Balt used Kaufus as a down lineman. He missed his rookie year due to breaking his ankle. His pre-draft reports and reports from this years Balt TC said he seems to be more suited for a standing up role. He pre-draft report said he needed to get alittle stronger and develop his game more.  He played basketball at BYU too. I wonder how the Jets view and plan to use him.   

Kaufus, OT Dieugot Joseph and DB JClark are the three PS guys that I'm interested in this season (besides obviously Webb). 

I hope at the very least they can remain on the Jets PS all season. If they get promoted to the 53 at some point, great.

I dont have a problem with the pick, hell turn over any and every rock.  Just the idea that every PS addition ever will see the playing field and to make it harder will be that hard to find edge rusher.  

I'm hard pressed to remember the last PS addition that went through the process, graduated to the 53 man and made any difference.  Unfortunately theyre hard to find.

But it is a hell of a lot of fun to play GM and root for one to make it 

And of course the only reason I wrote that was because he compared a few Kaufus numbers to Donald and L Williams.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm hard pressed to remember the last PS addition that went through the process, graduated to the 53 man and made any difference.  Unfortunately theyre hard to find.

Last guy that I can remember is Brandon Moore, constanly up and down from the practice squad before he finally established his spot in the lineup.  From the current team, Neal Sterling is a former practice squad player, we poached him from the Chiefs practice squad last year.  Remains to be seen if he can make a difference.

47 minutes ago, Lith said:

Last guy that I can remember is Brandon Moore, constanly up and down from the practice squad before he finally established his spot in the lineup.  From the current team, Neal Sterling is a former practice squad player, we poached him from the Chiefs practice squad last year.  Remains to be seen if he can make a difference.

Ben Braden made the jump. Maybe 1 more year and he pushes for a role on GameDay 

13 hours ago, Lith said:

Forgot about Moore, thanks.  We may have gotten lucky with Sterling, hoping he can contribute

On 9/5/2018 at 7:42 PM, Lith said:

Great point, great post.

On 9/5/2018 at 12:58 PM, C Mart said:

If some other team grabs them off the PS not so great.   :sad:

On 9/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, Jet Nut said:

I dont have a problem with the pick, hell turn over any and every rock.  Just the idea that every PS addition ever will see the playing field and to make it harder will be that hard to find edge rusher.  

And of course the only reason I wrote that was because he compared a few Kaufus numbers to Donald and L Williams.

Actually our 6 th rd cb from last yr was on the practice squad and this year he is a top 6 cb with starter potential.  

Not sure how much diff there is in quality between the last guys cut and the last guys to make the cut- it’s almost an arbitrary distinction.  Damon Harrison as a FA made our 53 but hardly played his first year

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Actually our 6 th rd cb from last yr was on the practice squad and this year he is a top 6 cb with starter potential.  

Not sure how much diff there is in quality between the last guys cut and the last guys to make the cut- it’s almost an arbitrary distinction.  Damon Harrison as a FA made our 53 but hardly played his first year

I agree with you in principle, but if you are talking about Derrick Jones, I am pretty sure they carried him on roster all season.  He was just inactive until the end of the year.  Enunwa was on the practice squad as a rookie.  As previously mentioned, Braden and Sterling have spent time on practice squads.  Off the top of my head, Qvale, Xavier Coleman, Josh Martin, Doug Middleton, and Lawrence Thomas all spent time on the practice squad.  

On 9/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, Jet Nut said:

maybe....

He has yet to establish himself in the regular season, however. As a rookie, Middleton began the year on the practice squad after suffering a quad injury during training camp, and he played in just the final four games that season. There was the pectoral injury a year ago. But now he’s healthy and coming off a strong training camp

On 9/7/2018 at 8:51 AM, johnnysd said:

Our PS this year seems particularly strong. I think Deontay and Luvvu will be on the 53 sooner than later.

Well Luvu made it game one. I think Deontay makes it around game 4. You know Sam is lobbying for him every day and probably throwing with him after practice.

The Jets have signed offensive lineman Ben Braden to their practice squad.

Braden (6'6", 329), the first-year player out of Michigan, made the Jets' 53-man active roster for the start of the season. He was inactive for the Monday night opener at Detroit, then was waived Wednesday when LB Kevin Pierre-Louis returned to the roster following his one-game NFL suspension. Braden's addition brings the practice squad to its 10-player limit.

Braden was an undrafted free agent who joined the Jets after last year's draft. He played in all four games, 91 snaps in all, in last year's preseason, then was waived, signed to the practice squad, and spent the entire season there.

He was signed to a reserve/future contract on Jan. 1. This summer his preseason activity increased to 136 plays in four games.

14 hours ago, varjet said:

Braden to the PS is a good move.  

I hope we work him exclusively at LT.  Between harrison and Dozier we have guard and center covered.

Qvale was a disaster on the left side and we are better off letting him focus on backing up shell and have Braden work on the left side.  I cant imagine he could be worse then Qvale on the left, and maybe it could help his development for next season.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

I hope we work him exclusively at LT.  Between harrison and Dozier we have guard and center covered.

Qvale was a disaster on the left side and we are better off letting him focus on backing up shell and have Braden work on the left side.  I cant imagine he could be worse then Qvale on the left, and maybe it could help his development for next season.

I don't see him as a LT. Have to hope they can develop Dieugot Joseph while on he's the PS

14 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

do they have other OL on the practice squad who could be called up at some point?

They have a C who played with Sam at USC -- Nico Falah and T Dieugot Joseph who had been with the Bears and Ravens last season or two -- I think only with their practice squads.

3 hours ago, C Mart said:

The Jets have signed offensive lineman Ben Braden to their practice squad.

Braden (6'6", 329), the first-year player out of Michigan, made the Jets' 53-man active roster for the start of the season. He was inactive for the Monday night opener at Detroit, then was waived Wednesday when LB Kevin Pierre-Louis returned to the roster following his one-game NFL suspension. Braden's addition brings the practice squad to its 10-player limit.

Braden was an undrafted free agent who joined the Jets after last year's draft. He played in all four games, 91 snaps in all, in last year's preseason, then was waived, signed to the practice squad, and spent the entire season there.

He was signed to a reserve/future contract on Jan. 1. This summer his preseason activity increased to 136 plays in four games.

Very glad to hear this. Not the most athletic prospect but can play G & T and seems to play with a bit of a nasty streak.

6 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Very glad to hear this. Not the most athletic prospect but can play G & T and seems to play with a bit of a nasty streak.

Hes actually a decent athlete.  Here is his PFF Scouting report from michigan - they didnt love him as a tackle, but he cant be worse then Qvale and at least has experience with OT footwork on the left side

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-ben-braden-gt-michigan 

13 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Hes actually a decent athlete.  Here is his PFF Scouting report from michigan - they didnt love him as a tackle, but he cant be worse then Qvale and at least has experience with OT footwork on the left side

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-scouting-report-ben-braden-gt-michigan 

Good read. Thanks for posting. Sounds like he was going to need time to get stronger and work on his technique. Hopefully can contribute in 2019. I'm a fan of o-lineman who show they can play more than 1 position. He's better than Qvale.

Archived