Maxman

2018 NY Jets Practice Squad

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

his name looks like a text.  Luv u.  Not you, of course.

Thank you. That's why his name looked so familiar.

Another Jet to root for.

5-11

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

wow. Quietly surprised at our PS... usually a who's who of Div-III jags and a couple burnouts. Henderson, Burnett & Kaufusi?... that's nice. 

Kafusi 7.03 three cone at 285lbs

Aaron  Donald 7.11 at 285 lbs

JAG Leonard Williams 7.59 at 302

20 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Kafusi 7.03 three cone at 285lbs

Aaron  Donald 7.11 at 285 lbs

JAG Leonard Williams 7.59 at 302

And guess who has 0 sacks and 3 tackles and is unemployed?

On 9/3/2018 at 1:42 PM, Lith said:

Full 10 Man Practice Squad as of today (from NYJets.com):

Player Position Experience
Brandon Bryant DB R
Deontay Burnett WR R
Jeremy Clark DB 1
Nico Falah C R
De'Angelo Henderson RB 2
Dieugot Joseph T 1
Bronson Kaufusi DL 3
Frankie Luvu LB R
Anthony Wint LB R
John Wolford QB R

We know that last spot flipped from Wolford to Webb but it stays QB and it stays offense, giving the Jets a balanced PS of 5 offensive players and 5 defensive players.  They also hit every level of the D (Line, LB, Secondary) and every major Offensive group besides TE (where they kept 4 on the Active Roster).  Macc seems to have really done a good job here......not just in the variety of positions and balance but some seemingly good quality.

On 9/3/2018 at 4:48 PM, T0mShane said:

That’s a pretty exciting practice squad, tbh. There are players on there who are athletic and could challenge starters after awhile. Burnett, Luvu, Bryant, Kaufusi, and Henderson in particular. I would have liked to see a better QB prospect, but giving Wolford a few checks to run the scout team isn’t the worst thing. 

This is really good analysis and they circled back on the QB thing. Pretty happy about the practice squad. Definitely has guys with potential.

Now if only they would get to work on the actual roster, lol.

18 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And guess who has 0 sacks and 3 tackles and is unemployed?

It sounds like Balt used Kaufus as a down lineman. He missed his rookie year due to breaking his ankle. His pre-draft reports and reports from this years Balt TC said he seems to be more suited for a standing up role. He pre-draft report said he needed to get alittle stronger and develop his game more.  He played basketball at BYU too. I wonder how the Jets view and plan to use him.   

Kaufus, OT Dieugot Joseph and DB JClark are the three PS guys that I'm interested in this season (besides obviously Webb). 

I hope at the very least they can remain on the Jets PS all season. If they get promoted to the 53 at some point, great.

46 minutes ago, C Mart said:

It sounds like Balt used Kaufus as a down lineman. He missed his rookie year due to breaking his ankle. His pre-draft reports and reports from this years Balt TC said he seems to be more suited for a standing up role. He pre-draft report said he needed to get alittle stronger and develop his game more.  He played basketball at BYU too. I wonder how the Jets view and plan to use him.   

Kaufus, OT Dieugot Joseph and DB JClark are the three PS guys that I'm interested in this season (besides obviously Webb). 

I hope at the very least they can remain on the Jets PS all season. If they get promoted to the 53 at some point, great.

I dont have a problem with the pick, hell turn over any and every rock.  Just the idea that every PS addition ever will see the playing field and to make it harder will be that hard to find edge rusher.  

I'm hard pressed to remember the last PS addition that went through the process, graduated to the 53 man and made any difference.  Unfortunately theyre hard to find.

But it is a hell of a lot of fun to play GM and root for one to make it 

And of course the only reason I wrote that was because he compared a few Kaufus numbers to Donald and L Williams.

Really impressed with the practice squad Maccagnan put together this year.

It's probably not great how much I prefer the construction of the practice squad to the actual roster, but have to start somewhere.

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I'm hard pressed to remember the last PS addition that went through the process, graduated to the 53 man and made any difference.  Unfortunately theyre hard to find.

Last guy that I can remember is Brandon Moore, constanly up and down from the practice squad before he finally established his spot in the lineup.  From the current team, Neal Sterling is a former practice squad player, we poached him from the Chiefs practice squad last year.  Remains to be seen if he can make a difference.

47 minutes ago, Lith said:

Last guy that I can remember is Brandon Moore, constanly up and down from the practice squad before he finally established his spot in the lineup.  From the current team, Neal Sterling is a former practice squad player, we poached him from the Chiefs practice squad last year.  Remains to be seen if he can make a difference.

Ben Braden made the jump. Maybe 1 more year and he pushes for a role on GameDay 

13 hours ago, Lith said:

Forgot about Moore, thanks.  We may have gotten lucky with Sterling, hoping he can contribute

On 9/5/2018 at 7:42 PM, Lith said:

Great point, great post.

On 9/5/2018 at 12:58 PM, C Mart said:

If some other team grabs them off the PS not so great.   :sad:

On 9/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, Jet Nut said:

I dont have a problem with the pick, hell turn over any and every rock.  Just the idea that every PS addition ever will see the playing field and to make it harder will be that hard to find edge rusher.  

And of course the only reason I wrote that was because he compared a few Kaufus numbers to Donald and L Williams.

Actually our 6 th rd cb from last yr was on the practice squad and this year he is a top 6 cb with starter potential.  

Not sure how much diff there is in quality between the last guys cut and the last guys to make the cut- it’s almost an arbitrary distinction.  Damon Harrison as a FA made our 53 but hardly played his first year

On 9/6/2018 at 5:30 AM, Obrien2Toon said:

Mac sucks at most things

but he really does a great job with the back end...

aw, never mind....

11 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

If some other team grabs them off the PS not so great.   :sad:

Understand. Tried to word it that way but didn't do a good job 🙂

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Actually our 6 th rd cb from last yr was on the practice squad and this year he is a top 6 cb with starter potential.  

Not sure how much diff there is in quality between the last guys cut and the last guys to make the cut- it’s almost an arbitrary distinction.  Damon Harrison as a FA made our 53 but hardly played his first year

I agree with you in principle, but if you are talking about Derrick Jones, I am pretty sure they carried him on roster all season.  He was just inactive until the end of the year.  Enunwa was on the practice squad as a rookie.  As previously mentioned, Braden and Sterling have spent time on practice squads.  Off the top of my head, Qvale, Xavier Coleman, Josh Martin, Doug Middleton, and Lawrence Thomas all spent time on the practice squad.  

54 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Understand. Tried to word it that way but didn't do a good job 🙂

No the way you worded it was fine. That WOULD say something if teams grabbed our guys off the PS. Who would have thunk it. lol

On 9/6/2018 at 8:30 AM, Obrien2Toon said:

Mac sucks at most things

but he really does a great job with the back end of the roster

Agree. The back end of the roster and nabbing a few good UDFAs is the thing he's actually best at.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, Jet Nut said:

maybe....

He has yet to establish himself in the regular season, however. As a rookie, Middleton began the year on the practice squad after suffering a quad injury during training camp, and he played in just the final four games that season. There was the pectoral injury a year ago. But now he’s healthy and coming off a strong training camp