Jets Sign Jerimiah Attaochu

hawk

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Better than dealing 2 #1s and paying $141 million for Mack.

Possibly, I have no problem with money ball methodology as long as it too is kept in context. The guy is still young and costs close to nothing. Sacks are like the deep ball you want them on the stat sheet, but the threat of them also has an effect if the threat is credible.

Remember this player at GT.  Gets around the corner in a flash, non-stop motor.  Weak at POA.

If he is used right, strickly an edge rusher, he should produce quite a few sacks.  Thought he was going to be an excellent pass rusher when he was with GT.  Don't know what happened to him in the NFL, but it loks like he's had nagging injuries.

Could be the guy the Jets need.  Not a head case thank God

51 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Did some brief reading on the guy and it seems part of the issue he had in Charger land is that he played a crowed position aside from his minor seasonal injuries. 

That's a big part of it. He was drafted to bookend at OLB with Ingram. In 2016, the Chargers drafted Bosa and that was pretty much the end for Attaochu in San Diego (now LA). 

Attaochu reminds me of Calvin Pace in his later years.  A big body who can hold his own in 1-on-1 and take up space.  But he lacks the quickness to be a really feared NFL pass rusher.  Throw the injury problems on top of it and I'm not expecting much.  Nevertheless, the signing makes sense for the Jets solely because they're so thin at the position and devoid of any pass rush whatsoever.

19 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

If a player can’t stay healthy in college can u expect him to stay healthy in the NFL? Nope! Also I remember another 2nd rounder from Georgia Tech that didn’t work out for us. Not trying to be Dr Doom but just sayin.

Always a crap shoot. Marvin Jones was always injured early too. We'll see.

12 minutes ago, Maxman said:

OLB Meeting

Kevin Greene: okay guys I would like the new guy to speak first. He's the only one in the room that has ever touched a QB before. Learn from him and his ten career sacks.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry ...

Of course. I'd be happy just for the fact that he didnt blow the picks and they are actual legit starter material.
That would be a step in the right direction. 
But, we know, these scenarios rarely reflect reality when it comes to Macc.

He’s getting better. :-)

You’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So I was pushing Attaochu in the off season free agent thread. Obviously really happy the Jets finally grabbed him.

As others have said, he's very athletic, and even more so compared to the current OLBs on the roster.

My question for everyone. Is it correct that the Chargers played a 4-3? Which means Attaochu was playing DE?

If so the reason I have hope is having Attaochu rush from a stand up position may really help him as a player. I remember Demarcus Ware discussed how he was a better pass rusher standing up because he could see the play develop. 

It also might help Attaochu stay healthy seeing where the lineman, double teams, and chip blocks are coming from. It's just a much different position playing DE as opposed to OLB so hopefully it matches his athletic ability. Still young too.

5 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I'm aware, but all he needs is one aggressive safety on a crossing route, and it doesn't really matter.

I think the continuous pounding that a FB takes is more the problem.  

He should be starting in the slot on Monday, with Anderson and Pryor on the outside.  When they try to cover him with a LB, exploit it in the passing game.  No LB can run with him.  When they try to cover him with a CB, run the ball.  No CB can handle him at the point of attack.

Archived