Darnold Officially Named Starter

JetsFanatic

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Smoke sceen

Absolutely.  Bowles is an evil genius.  Darnold is the starter.....takes one snap and then yields to McCown who plays the rest of the game.  The Lions are thoroughly confused and cannot respond to the effectiveness of our consistent, grizzled veteran QB.  Jets win 31 - 17.  Matt Patricia is fired on Tuesday morning.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

"We are not starting him becasue he's a rookie and not ready"  Huh?  WTF is he saying?

I think he means to say that they aren’t just throwing him out there because he was a high draft pick. Which seems to be a thing in the mainstream media with the Doug Gotlieb’s, Skip Bayless’, Max Kellerman’s, etc.

He’s earned the right to start.

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I think he means to say that they aren’t just throwing him out there because he was a high draft pick. Which seems to be a thing in the mainstream media with the Doug Gotlieb’s, Skip Bayless’, Max Kellerman’s, etc.

He’s earned the right to start.

This is how I read it too.

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

"We are not starting him becasue he's a rookie and not ready"  Huh?  WTF is he saying?  Or maybe Vacchiano misquoted him.  Makes no sense.

Really odd way to phrase that Todd, couldn’t have just said “best chance” and we could have avoided speculation.

I think Sam has earned it but I wonder if Todd doesn’t.

Nobody can say Darnold isn't ready to play right now.

Still... I am not sure this is the right thing to do given the start to the schedule.  

Hopefully, he has the expected ups and downs... shows the maturity and composure we have seen... and all the fears of us "jittery" fans conditioned to expect the worst will be put to rest.

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Really odd way to phrase that Todd, couldn’t have just said “best chance” and we could have avoided speculation.

I think Sam has earned it but I wonder if Todd doesn’t.

Yeah it's annoying that his clarification comments create questions. 

It's possible that Bowles feels McCown gives them the best chance to win week 1 but that Darnold did what he had to do with his opportunity 

All that matters to me is that Darnold is the starter and I bought tickets a month ago and a Darnold jersey ?

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Nobody can say Darnold isn't ready to play right now.

Still... I am not sure this is the right thing to do given the start to the schedule.  

Hopefully, he has the expected ups and downs... shows the maturity and composure we have seen... and all the fears of us "jittery" fans conditioned to expect the worst will be put to rest.

The only thing that had me hesitant about Darnold starting was the 3 games in 10 days. Sounds like he’s good enough to overcome that, here’s to a good start. 

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is how I read it too.

Bowles really didn’t have a decision to make. Just a head nod, a smile and pray his ass off the ginger king of NY saves his job. 

If he didnt start him he might as well go home and talk to his wife about what is the next chapter of their lives. No choice whatsoever! 

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Can we please, just once, have both a very good QB and a very good HC on the team at the same time?  We've sometimes had neither, we've occasionally had one or the other.....we never seem to have both.

Parcells and Vinny was fun. Till his Achilles sploded. 

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not that it means anything -- but this is list from Albert Breer of when every R1 QB since 2000 made his first start.

DmMTTJlWsAAR3Yp.jpg:large

Can't really take away too much from this list, and maybe that's a good thing.  There's a mix of guys who started immediately and have either found longterm success (Newton, Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, Wentz) and guys who floundered (Weeden, Boller, Carr, etc.).   There are also late starters who have both succeeded (Palmer, Rivers, Aaron Rodgers) and failed (Locker, Quinn, Campbell, etc.).

Not too much rhyme or reason here.  I think you either have it or you don't.  Hopefully the supporting cast of 10 guys is "good enough" to give Sam some opportunities for success.

Archived