Jump to content
JetsFanatic

Darnold Officially Named Starter

Recommended Posts

@BrianCoz: Todd Bowles announces that Sam Darnold will be the starting quarterback. #nyj

m.twitter.com/BrianCoz

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Sam 

Bowles is such a weirdo lol

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"We are not starting him becasue he's a rookie and not ready"  Huh?  WTF is he saying?  Or maybe Vacchiano misquoted him.  Makes no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lith said:

"We are not starting him becasue he's a rookie and not ready"  Huh?  WTF is he saying?

I caught that too. Either a typo or Bowles hasn't been sleeping a lot recently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

I think he means to say that they aren’t just throwing him out there because he was a high draft pick. Which seems to be a thing in the mainstream media with the Doug Gotlieb’s, Skip Bayless’, Max Kellerman’s, etc.

He’s earned the right to start.

This is how I read it too.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lith said:

"We are not starting him becasue he's a rookie and not ready"  Huh?  WTF is he saying?  Or maybe Vacchiano misquoted him.  Makes no sense.

Really odd way to phrase that Todd, couldn’t have just said “best chance” and we could have avoided speculation.

I think Sam has earned it but I wonder if Todd doesn’t.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody can say Darnold isn't ready to play right now.

Still... I am not sure this is the right thing to do given the start to the schedule.  

Hopefully, he has the expected ups and downs... shows the maturity and composure we have seen... and all the fears of us "jittery" fans conditioned to expect the worst will be put to rest.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bla bla bla said:

Really odd way to phrase that Todd, couldn’t have just said “best chance” and we could have avoided speculation.

I think Sam has earned it but I wonder if Todd doesn’t.

Yeah it's annoying that his clarification comments create questions. 

It's possible that Bowles feels McCown gives them the best chance to win week 1 but that Darnold did what he had to do with his opportunity 

All that matters to me is that Darnold is the starter and I bought tickets a month ago and a Darnold jersey 😁

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Nobody can say Darnold isn't ready to play right now.

Still... I am not sure this is the right thing to do given the start to the schedule.  

Hopefully, he has the expected ups and downs... shows the maturity and composure we have seen... and all the fears of us "jittery" fans conditioned to expect the worst will be put to rest.

The only thing that had me hesitant about Darnold starting was the 3 games in 10 days. Sounds like he’s good enough to overcome that, here’s to a good start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that it means anything -- but this is list from Albert Breer of when every R1 QB since 2000 made his first start.

DmMTTJlWsAAR3Yp.jpg:large

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we please, just once, have both a very good QB and a very good HC on the team at the same time?  We've sometimes had neither, we've occasionally had one or the other.....we never seem to have both.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is how I read it too.

Bowles really didn’t have a decision to make. Just a head nod, a smile and pray his ass off the ginger king of NY saves his job. 

If he didnt start him he might as well go home and talk to his wife about what is the next chapter of their lives. No choice whatsoever! 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Can we please, just once, have both a very good QB and a very good HC on the team at the same time?  We've sometimes had neither, we've occasionally had one or the other.....we never seem to have both.

 

Parcells and Vinny was fun. Till his Achilles sploded. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Not that it means anything -- but this is list from Albert Breer of when every R1 QB since 2000 made his first start.

DmMTTJlWsAAR3Yp.jpg:large

Can't really take away too much from this list, and maybe that's a good thing.  There's a mix of guys who started immediately and have either found longterm success (Newton, Ryan, Flacco, Stafford, Wentz) and guys who floundered (Weeden, Boller, Carr, etc.).   There are also late starters who have both succeeded (Palmer, Rivers, Aaron Rodgers) and failed (Locker, Quinn, Campbell, etc.).

Not too much rhyme or reason here.  I think you either have it or you don't.  Hopefully the supporting cast of 10 guys is "good enough" to give Sam some opportunities for success.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Websites, SEO & Social Media

Mile Social
×