Darnold Officially Named Starter

JetsFanatic

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad it is official; maybe they wanted to talk to Darnold first - who knows. The only other thought I had was since we have 3 games in 10 days, maybe they would start Darnold for game 1, and then let McCown start game 2 giving Darnold more than a week to prepare for the 3rd game.

It seems way to weird and progressive for Bowles, but that is what I thought he was thinking...

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Probably the closest we've had since Weeb and Namath.  Vinny and Parcells were the duo that could have done it in 1999.

Weeb had one of the strangest coaching records.  20 years, his teams were .500, and only made the postseason 4 times.  But he won 3 championships in those 4 appearances.  Including 2 of the most memorable games in NFL history.  Great big game coach.  

49 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Really odd way to phrase that Todd, couldn’t have just said “best chance” and we could have avoided speculation.

I think Sam has earned it but I wonder if Todd doesn’t.

He said "He's earned the right to start". So Todd believes Sam has earned it. If you listen to the press conference, it's pretty clear Bowles think Darnold won the job. He did say it was a close competition though. He was happy with how Darnold progressed week to week.

The exact comment quoted on twitter came after a reporter asked about growing pains for rookie QBs and if that played a roll in his decision. It's hard to hear the report but I think he also said if Bowles will be ready to deal with those ups and downs.

2 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Go on Sam. Let’s do this. 

I hope that Jet’s fans afford him a few hiccups through this season and we enjoy his good moments knowing it’s only going to improve as he plays more. 

I think (hope) most Jet fans are realistic.  He is a rookie, he is going to make mistakes and may cost us a few games.  But hopefully he also has games/moments where we get glimpses of how good he can be.  Probably going to be a mixed bag from him this year, and thats okay as long as he shows improvement over the season.

12 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Last week: The Jets organization is terrible because it hasn't announced a starting QB. The season is over.

This week: So what they named a starter. Wait let's dissect what Bowles meant by saying good and not best. The season is over.

It might be time to flip that ✈️ trajectory 

????

Good karma required 

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think (hope) most Jet fans are realistic.  He is a rookie, he is going to make mistakes and may cost us a few games.  But hopefully he also has games/moments where we get glimpses of how good he can be.  Probably going to be a mixed bag from him this year, and thats okay as long as he shows improvement over the season.

One of his best traits is taking chances and extending plays so I fully expect mistakes and bad plays 

I fully expect a week bye week over analysis from writers trolls and haters but all I care about is that he improves overall in his grasp of the offense and defense. 

I remember reading he can get off to slow starts, I will defer to our in house expert on that but I really want to see him execute at the end of the half and game. 

Bates will have to keep him out of bad situations the first month, I expect a lot of posters here screaming for the bomb on 3rd and 13, but I am totally cool with building him up from a foundation 

Let's remember he has about 30 lifetime starts at QB 

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

After a prime time Monday night game, I expect Sam to be talk of the town come Tuesday morning after the performance he’ll put on.  I think that’s totally reasonable. 

45 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

bowles is so out of his depth i almost feel badly for him.....almost...

on the other hand he is CLEVELAND , so i laugh...

He’s a money thief. A defensive-HC who fields a terrible defense yet still convinces the FO to allocate well north of 50% of the resources on moar defense

44 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

he's  pissed cos he wanted to sit darnold and start mclown

Good chance of that

44 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Bowles had us all fooled?‍♂️?

Likely including himself

Archived