Darnold Officially Named Starter

JetsFanatic

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:

What is exactly the issue with Bowles saying Darnold gives us a very good chance to win? He said it was very close.  Should it be close with a 39 yr old vet? Which has a better chance to progress?  Some people have BDS

Nothing. People just want to read into every little thing.

1 minute ago, DetroitRed said:

What is exactly the issue with Bowles saying Darnold gives us a very good chance to win? He said it was very close.  Should it be close with a 39 yr old vet? Which has a better chance to progress?  Some people have BDS

He said good chance when coach speak is usually best chance 

Not a big deal but this is Bowles lol

5 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

JMO but I get the sense Bowles probably wanted Bridgewater to start. I think we'll see the disconnect between the coaches and the FO unravel this season when the team is 3-6.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

JMO but I get the sense Bowles probably wanted Bridgewater to start. I think we'll see the disconnect between the coaches and the FO unravel this season when the team is 3-6.

If he wanted that wouldn't he had started him against the Giants?

So Bowles starts Darnold game 3, gives him the half and a series, which is always the sign of a week 1 starter.

Bowles sits Darnold in game 4, which is always the sign of a week 1 starter.

Bowles has also been giving Darnold almost all the starter reps since week 2.

And now the conclusion is Bowles is being forced to start Darnold?

For the umpteenth time, where is the logic?

This is probably from the crowd that keeps insinuating Bowles doesn't start rookies when it was quite obvious he just didn't want to start Hack or Petty.

Same fans complain Bowles didn't announce the starting QB. Now that he has named the youngest player to ever start at QB the starter, you still want to complain and come up with nonsensical conspiracy theories.

Me personally as a fan, its hard to take the Bowles criticism here seriously, even when it's warranted because fans blindly and illogically put ridiculous blame on this coach. It makes it impossible to take those points of view with any seriousness. 

32 minutes ago, Larz said:

He said good chance when coach speak is usually best chance 

Not a big deal but this is Bowles lol

I think he's giving his honest opinion there. I bet he still believes that McCown gives him the best chance to win, but that Darnold is the future and gives him a good enough chance right now to start.  

10 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

So Bowles starts Darnold game 3, gives him the half and a series, which is always the sign of a week 1 starter.

This is probably from the crowd that keeps insinuating Bowles doesn't start rookies when it was quite obvious he just didn't want to start Hack or Petty.

Same fans complain Bowles didn't announce the starting QB. Now that he has named the youngest player to ever start at QB the starter, you still want to complain and come up with nonsensical conspiracy theories.

Me personally as a fan, its hard to take the Bowles criticism here seriously, even when it's warranted because fans blindly and illogically put ridiculous blame on this coach. It makes it impossible to take those points of view with any seriousness. 

Image result for this gif

Doug Pederson used the same secrecy tactic until today – only after the decision was leaked. He was pissed he had to announce it.

Bowles probably preferred to wait longer too. He looks more tired than unhappy. 

PHILADELPHIA – Eagles coach Doug Pederson said he'll decide on whether Carson Wentz or Nick Foles will be his starting quarterback by Friday.

Pederson, however, might not make that decision public until the last possible minute. 

"Deadline? 90 minutes before the kickoff, I think," Pederson said about the season opener next Thursday night against the Atlanta Falcons.

But Pederson said he will know well before that. He'll just keep it to himself and the rest of the team.

"Probably Friday, privately," Pederson added. "Otherwise, 90 minutes (before the game)."

After saying he won’t announce the decision until Thursday, Doug Pederson caves by naming the starter on Monday.

This past offseason wasn’t easy for Philadelphia Eagles head coach, Doug Pederson. He entertained nonstop questions concerning the health of the franchise quarterback, Carson Wentz for the entirety of the offseason. “Is Carson going to be ready to go by week one?” That sentence may very well haunt Doug Pederson for years to come now. Eventually, enough was enough for the head coach, and he started to lose patience.

On Sunday, a visibly frustrated Doug Pederson stood at the podium in the Nova Care Complex to voice his anger towards the media. After saying that he would announce the starter of Thursday’s game only 90 minutes before kickoff, word got out that the decision has been made this weekend. Well, Doug was not very pleased, to say the least.

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Still... I am not sure this is the right thing to do given the start to the schedule.  

This has to be the most overblown opinion that’s gone on around these parts, and the Jets media folk.

Week 1 he has 17 days to prepare for (since the Giants game).

Week 2 is one day shorter then most weeks, but the team (coaches) will use those extra days leading up to week 1 to have the team prepared for the one less day of preparation, and it’s not like it’s week 8, and no bye week yet they would have played one game I think they can manage week 2 with one less prep day for the teams home opener, there will be zero affect from that one missed day.

Week 3 the Jets designated annual Thursday night game, every team has to play one, yes stinks they have to travel for this, but they are coming off the home opener, and Cleveland is also on the same rest, every team has to go through this short Thursday night game week, no need to change who you want to start at QB over this one thing, because this is the only thing about the supposed daunting 3 games in 11 days, it’s something great for a reporter looking for any story these days, or narrative to push, but it’s just a NON ISSUE.

Week 4 the daunting trip to Jacksonville you know the Jaguars team that the 2016 Jets wiped the floor with even thou they tried their hardest to hand the Jags the game, but nobody mentions that the Jets essentially get a mini reset early season bye week after the Browns game to prepare for this game one which could be a very big game should the Jets walk away 2-1 after 3 weeks, and 9 days off to prepare instead of 6 which could be HUGE for Darnold to look at some things he might need to correct instead of just focusing on the game plan.

IT’s ONE short week that’s it, every team, and QB HAS to go through it once a year it’s not a big deal!  I’d even argue it might be more difficult for the 76 year old McCown to get his body ready to play another game in a short week then Darnold having to get his mind right in short order.

12 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This has to be the most overblown opinion that’s gone on around these parts, and the Jets media folk.

Week 1 he has 17 days to prepare for (since the Giants game).

Week 2 is one day shorter then most weeks, but the team (coaches) will use those extra days leading up to week 1 to have the team prepared for the one less day of preparation, and it’s not like it’s week 8, and no bye week yet they would have played one game I think they can manage week 2 with one less prep day for the teams home opener, there will be zero affect from that one missed day.

Week 3 the Jets designated annual Thursday night game, every team has to play one, yes stinks they have to travel for this, but they are coming off the home opener, and Cleveland is also on the same rest, every team has to go through this short Thursday night game week, no need to change who you want to start at QB over this one thing, because this is the only thing about the supposed daunting 3 games in 11 days, it’s something great for a reporter looking for any story these days, or narrative to push, but it’s just a NON ISSUE.

Week 4 the daunting trip to Jacksonville you know the Jaguars team that the 2016 Jets wiped the floor with even thou they tried their hardest to hand the Jags the game, but nobody mentions that the Jets essentially get a mini reset early season bye week after the Browns game to prepare for this game one which could be a very big game should the Jets walk away 2-1 after 3 weeks, and 9 days off to prepare instead of 6 which could be HUGE for Darnold to look at some things he might need to correct instead of just focusing on the game plan.

IT’s ONE short week that’s it, every team, and QB HAS to go through it once a year it’s not a big deal!  I’d even argue it might be more difficult for the 76 year old McCown to get his body ready to play another game in a short week then Darnold having to get his mind right in short order.

You make some valid points from a different perspective.  Really, you do.

I am going to that game in Jacksonville.  I was there once before in 2006.  A 41-0 Jaguars mollywhopping.  The concern is not just the Jags pass rush... it is the pass rush in the 4th quarter when the Jets below average offensive lineman are getting IV fluids and oxygen on the sideline because it is 105 degrees on the field.

Teams that don't play regularly in that kind of heat... sometimes... don't show up in that kind of heat.  The Jets were 10-6 that year btw...

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

Doug Pederson used the same secrecy tactic until today – only after the decision was leaked. He was pissed he had to announce it.

Bowles probably preferred to wait longer too. He looks more tired than unhappy. 

First Boooo Hooooo the poor HC of the defending Super Bowl Champions had a tough week cry me a river.

Second I wonder if the combination of this being the kickoff game for the entire 2018 NFL season, AND with the new gambling laws in this country that the NFL has basically flip flopped on you know if we get a piece of the pie hip hip hooray for finally having legalized wagering on NFL games, but if we’re not getting a piece of the pie we will just go back to pretending nobody gambled on the NFL before, and it’s a terrible thing we want nothing to do with either forced his hand to announce the starter before he wanted to, or was the reason the organization leaked it regardless of Pederson’s Wishes.

17 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I felt the same way. If anyone can do it physically it should be the 21-year-old!

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

it is the pass rush in the 4th quarter when the Jets below average offensive lineman are getting IV fluids and oxygen on the sideline because it is 105 degrees on the field.

Another non issue, we all know Bowles quits, and throws in the towel in the 4th quarter when the Jets are losing running the clock out ?

In all seriousness having the 11 days off before this game is a much bigger thing for the reasons you wrote about then any silly concocted no way a rookie should play 3 games in 11 days thinking without actually looking at it from the outside, I mean would anyone be complaining about the Jets having to play 3 games in 12 days weeks 7-9?  And would people say well the Jets shouldn’t play Darnold till week 10 to make sure he doesn’t have to go through that, and yes that would be a MUCH harder task for any team then what the Jets have to do with 3 games in 11 days weeks 1-3.

12 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Teams that don't play regularly in that kind of heat... sometimes... don't show up in that kind of heat.  The Jets were 10-6 that year btw.

Well hopefully the Jets are still conditioned from playing in the heat, and humidity they dealt with during TC, it was one of the more hot, and humid Augusts, and the early portion of this week will be ridiculously hot, and humid for them to practice in.  Also Jacksonville can easily be rainy, and 75-80 in September, but it could also be like it was today here in the northeast time will tell, and if it is I’d be more concerned with our Defense in the 4th quarter being gassed, and getting run over by Fournette like back in 2009 the way the Dolphins, and Ronnie Brown did that Monday night in September because of that weather.

3 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Excellent post....

The dumb conspiracy theories to fit agendas are irritating to say the least. Fans with their panties in a bunch because of what Bowles did or did not say. If you imbeciles would just look at Bowles actions this entire preseason you would have known beyond a shadow of a doubt that Darnold was going to start all along....but no you’d rather make up reasons to whine and cry about the coach as if there aren’t already enough concrete examples to say at the very least there’s a lot of improve upon here ??‍♂️

57 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Well hopefully the Jets are still conditioned from playing in the heat, and humidity they dealt with during TC, it was one of the more hot, and humid Augusts, and the early portion of this week will be ridiculously hot, and humid for them to practice in.  Also Jacksonville can easily be rainy, and 75-80 in September, but it could also be like it was today here in the northeast time will tell, and if it is I’d be more concerned with our Defense in the 4th quarter being gassed, and getting run over by Fournette like back in 2009 the way the Dolphins, and Ronnie Brown did that Monday night in September because of that weather.

Bowles doesn’t have the temperament to create the environment necessary for serious cardio

5 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

After a prime time Monday night game, I expect Sam to be talk of the town come Tuesday morning after the performance he’ll put on.  I think that’s totally reasonable. 

You might be right I hope it’s for the reason you think 

38 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Excellent post....

The dumb conspiracy theories to fit agendas are irritating to say the least. Fans with their panties in a bunch because of what Bowles did or did not say. If you imbeciles would just look at Bowles actions this entire preseason you would have known beyond a shadow of a doubt that Darnold was going to start all along....but no you’d rather make up reasons to whine and cry about the coach as if there aren’t already enough concrete examples to say at the very least there’s a lot of improve upon here ??‍♂️

I'd like to point out that anyone who prides himself a connoisseur of conspiracy theories, would tell you from day one that Bowles would pretend to agonize over the decision for months before announcing the foregone conclusion that Darnold would start. This tactic accomplishes two things: (1) If Darnold bombs, Bowles then counters with the insinuation that he was forced to roll with Darnold and thus should be given another chance next season; (2) If Darnold succeeds, Bowles can , via the sycophantic media who will cite "anonymous sources," leak about how he alone showed the courage to go with "the kid," and look how it's paid off.

That's how you distort facts to fit agendas. I also happen to believe it's true. 

Image result for tin foil hat

5 hours ago, GreenFish said:

He said "He's earned the right to start". So Todd believes Sam has earned it. If you listen to the press conference, it's pretty clear Bowles think Darnold won the job. He did say it was a close competition though. He was happy with how Darnold progressed week to week.

The exact comment quoted on twitter came after a reporter asked about growing pains for rookie QBs and if that played a roll in his decision. It's hard to hear the report but I think he also said if Bowles will be ready to deal with those ups and downs.

I'm totally behind starting him, but this is just nonsense. There was no equal competition among the three (nor should there have been). The competition was between Darnold and not-Darnold, based solely on whether or not he looked like he could handle the job yet. Also this is how it should be. They fed Darnold more and more, and he didn't look overwhelmed, so he starts. Nothing at all wrong with that.

But right up to the day Teddy was traded, Darnold was not likely the best overall QB on the roster to start week 1. He still might not be even right now that it's down to two, but that will change as he gains necessary experience. The sooner he's out there, the sooner this experience will come.

He's the guy they drafted. If it was anywhere close, which it probably was since neither Teddy nor McCown are Drew Brees II, even a near-tie should go to Darnold as the youngest one with the biggest upside and longest, brightest future (who is incidentally locked up for 4 seasons at $8m per). 

Archived