Darnold Officially Named Starter

JetsFanatic

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BigO said:

I for one am shocked. They can be only one explanation for Bowles to have the common sense to start Darnold over McClown :

7CEF9AB9-B7AD-40DD-9952-683C4DA7D6D9.jpeg

?

Really? Because Bowles wouldn’t play Hackenturd the same guy who couldn’t even look average facing our fourth stringers?

Jets rush Sam Darnold into starting job, hoping for Carson Wentz

pla

4:33 PM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Congratulations, Sam Darnold. You got the job. Free advice: Wear extra padding and don't listen to talk radio.

Named Monday as the New York Jets' starting quarterback, a move that surprised no one in the Western Hemisphere, Darnold steps into one of the toughest gigs in sports. This is a star-crossed franchise with a terrible history for developing young quarterbacks. He will preside over a rebuilding team with a mediocre offense that will struggle to protect him.

Before he starts living up to the somewhat ridiculous expectations some are putting on him, Sam Darnold has to play in his first NFL game, and the early schedule won't be easy. Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports

Oh, by the way: The expectations are out of control, fueled by lavish endorsements from Joe Namath, Josh Norman and Tony Romo, who actually said Darnold has the potential to be on the same level as Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

Can we let him play a game first?

Darnold was rushed into the job after a solid -- if not stellar -- preseason, but this is what happens when you're the third overall pick in a place like New York. Ready or not, he's the Sam-chise. His biggest threat, Teddy Bridgewater, was removed from the equation last week, traded to the New Orleans Saints. The 2018 season is all about Darnold, growing pains and all.

Realistic expectations? Let's talk about Carson Wentz, 2016.

Drafted second overall by the Philadelphia Eagles, Wentz was handed the starting job when Sam Bradford was traded late in the preseason to the Minnesota Vikings, who were desperate to replace the injured Bridgewater. (Ah, so many parallels.) Wentz started off great as a rookie, cooled off around midseason and finished with pedestrian rookie numbers -- 16 starts, 16 touchdowns and 14 interceptions. The Eagles finished 7-9, but there was optimism because they knew they had found their franchise quarterback.

We know what happened last year. Wentz played at an MVP level before suffering a late-season knee injury, robbing him of the chance to finish the Eagles' Super Bowl journey.

The Jets would be thrilled if Darnold follows Wentz's career arc, sans knee injury. Their plan is to give Darnold his on-the-job training this season, hoping for team improvement as well. (Let's be honest, a 7-9 record would be a success.) In 2019, they can bolster his supporting cast with $90 million in cap room, setting themselves up for a serious run. This isn't to suggest they'll be "Philly Special" in 2019, but it's a practical timeline with regard to Darnold's growth.

ADVERTISEMENT

"To me, it's all about what Philadelphia did with Carson Wentz," former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason said. "I'm not saying the Jets are going to the Super Bowl next year, but get Sam Darnold to that level in Year 2."

In 2016, Esiason remembers getting a phone call from an excited Frank Reich, his friend and former college roommate. Reich, the Eagles' offensive coordinator at the time, had traveled to North Dakota State to work out Wentz before the draft and was blown away by his talent and maturity. A few days later, Esiason said, the Eagles traded up, putting themselves in position to draft Wentz.

The Jets followed a similar path to Darnold. Their draft-day giddiness hasn't faded, but don't expect a Year 1 miracle.

The offensive line hasn't had its top pass protector, left tackle Kelvin Beachum, for the entire preseason. He's expected to play Week 1 against the Detroit Lions, but it'll take a few weeks before he's in top shape.

There's also the schedule -- three games in 11 days to start the season, including two on the road. That's a mental and physical strain for any quarterback, let alone a 21-year-old rookie.

A wise leader such as Josh McCown (or Bridgewater) would've helped the team navigate the brutal schedule and inevitable pass-protection problems, but Todd Bowles decided to start the clock on Darnold. The Jets' coach has no track record with quarterback decisions -- this was the first time in four years he had more than one viable option -- but he evidently believes Darnold is a wise-beyond-his-years rookie who can handle the grind.

Let me say this about Darnold: Of all the rookies who have passed through this quarterback-deprived franchise, Darnold has more upside than any I've covered --and I go all the way back to strong-armed tease Browning Nagle in 1992. Ah, but the preseason can be deceiving. He played only two-plus quarters against starting defenses, neither of which created a game plan designed to stop him. That's about to change; he's now a marked man.

Let's also remember Darnold is stepping into a huddle with no Pro Bowl players, which means more pressure on the young man's shoulders. This isn't Mark Sanchez walking into a playoff-ready team in 2009; this will be hard quarterbacking.

Remember that when you question why Darnold hasn't matched Romo's ridiculous hyperbole.

I'll eat a generous helping of crow here. I thought for certain Bowles was going to start McCown.

Now I pray to god that he doesn't try to protect Sam by running an ultra conservative offense.

You made the right choice now back it up by utilizing his talents. You just inherited the Lambo let's drive faster than 55.

17 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Well hopefully the Jets are still conditioned from playing in the heat, and humidity they dealt with during TC, it was one of the more hot, and humid Augusts, and the early portion of this week will be ridiculously hot, and humid for them to practice in.  Also Jacksonville can easily be rainy, and 75-80 in September, but it could also be like it was today here in the northeast time will tell, and if it is I’d be more concerned with our Defense in the 4th quarter being gassed, and getting run over by Fournette like back in 2009 the way the Dolphins, and Ronnie Brown did that Monday night in September because of that weather.

Let's hope it pours that day. No traction for pass rushers & did you see Darnolds pro day in a downpour? Unlike Petty, Sam can sling it around in the rain.

16 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Excellent post....

The dumb conspiracy theories to fit agendas are irritating to say the least. Fans with their panties in a bunch because of what Bowles did or did not say. If you imbeciles would just look at Bowles actions this entire preseason you would have known beyond a shadow of a doubt that Darnold was going to start all along....but no you’d rather make up reasons to whine and cry about the coach as if there aren’t already enough concrete examples to say at the very least there’s a lot of improve upon here ??‍♂️

I said he would be starting from day one. The posts are here to prove it. Bowles is starting Sam because he gives this team the best chance to win. 

9 hours ago, jgb said:

Drag your photoshop icon into the trash bin

id also like to point out that runaway trains are the worst things on earth except antibiotic resistant clap

I copied this from a Google search the hype is good and I posted it in such a manner no doubt or negativity from me on Sam Darnold........

49 years and counting and he's the real deal I'm ecstatic!!!!!!!

On 9/3/2018 at 9:17 PM, Gastineau Lives said:

Alot of ruined guys on this list.

If you look at the list  the guys who have started day 1 and were successful were 23 years or older

Ryan, Flacco, Wentz, Newton, Wilson, Prescott, Luck, etc...

Winston was 22, but had three years experience in college. Mariota turned 23 in season. 

The closest guys to Darnold who played at 21 are Goff and Stafford who both struggled as rookies. 

Last year DeShone Kizer played and really struggled (2 years starting in college in NFL at 21).

On 9/3/2018 at 3:02 PM, jetstream23 said:

Absolutely.  Bowles is an evil genius.  Darnold is the starter.....takes one snap and then yields to McCown who plays the rest of the game.  The Lions are thoroughly confused and cannot respond to the effectiveness of our consistent, grizzled veteran QB.  Jets win 31 - 17.  Matt Patricia is fired on Tuesday morning.

Double Smokescreen. McClown starts and plays the WHOLE game. Bowles says he game it a second thought and McClown gives us the best chance to lose. Jets gets lambasted 44-10. Darnold sits on the sidelines eating hot dogs. At the press conference, Bowles states he will look at the tapes and make refinements but overall we played well. Bowles is fired IMMEDIATELY after the post game presser. 

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hope we win and Darnold plays well but I just hope he doesn't raise expectations to an unfair level.  I think we all know Darnold is going to have plenty of down moments this year.

I think it was FDR that said "We have nothing to fear but high expectations.".

I hope he plays so well that they start designing his Canton bust at halftime. .

Archived