Jets Roll the Dice on Talented, oft Injured Edge Rusher

JetNation

Atta.jpg

Even in an off season that has seen the Jets fill some of their biggest needs by drafting quarterback Sam Darnold and adding cornerback Trumaine Johnson, their roster is still devoid of any player who poses a legitimate threat to get to opposing quarterbacks.  After reportedly refusing to part with a pair of first-round draft choices to acquire former Raiders outside linebacker Khalil Mack, it’s back to the drawing board for Mike Maccagnan who hopes he may have found a diamond in the rough.

The Jets signed little-known free agent linebacker Jeremiah Attaochu, formerly of the Chargers and 49ers who, in 38 career games (10) starts, has notched 10 sacks.

His 10 career sacks are 1.5 more than the Jets top three outside linebackers have registered in their careers as Jordan Jenkins (5.5), Josh Martin (2.5) and Brandon Copeland (0.5) have combined for just 8.5 sacks since entering the league.  And as you can see from the tweet above, his 48 total pressures a few seasons ago would have far outpaced anyone on the Jets roster last season.

So why was Attaochu available this late in the offseason if he has shown he has the ability to get to opposing quarterbacks?  The most likely answer at this point would have to be durability issues.

Attaochu missed significant time when he was hampered by a high ankle sprain and a broken right foot in 2016 before missing time with a hamstring in jury in 2017.  Missed time due to injuries and a drop in production led to Attaochu falling out of favor with a coaching staff that sat him for much of the year.

While Attaochu’s pro football focus grade of 69.2 this preseason with the San Francisco 49ers is far from dominant, it’s better than any grade a Jets got from any of their outside linebackers who played a minimum of 30 pass rush snaps.

Clearly the move doesn’t rule out the possibility of team adding another edge rusher via trade as head coach Todd Bowles acknowledged yesterday when addressing the media, but if the Jets can get Attaochu to play at a level anywhere near what he did just a few seasons ago, it will go a long way toward fixing what ails their defense.

The post Jets Roll the Dice on Talented, oft Injured Edge Rusher appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
svFlLpyU6XU

Click here to read the full story...

I don’t want to waste time speculating since it is usually a huge waste of time but I wonder what teams that start out poorly during the first few games, will have a “fire sale” in anticipation of a regime change etc.

Maybe we can get some quality guys via trade after a team’s season is ruined early on. Just wishful thinking on my part. 

32 minutes ago, LWC611 said:

If I remember Abraham's tenure with the Jets correctly he had durability issues also... Until his walk year that is....

This looks like deja vu if it plays out well for the Jets....

Everyone forgot that he sat out a playoff game I recall with a cold or finger nail issue lol

3 hours ago, LWC611 said:

If I remember Abraham's tenure with the Jets correctly he had durability issues also... Until his walk year that is....

This looks like deja vu if it plays out well for the Jets....

Yea I think it was a hammy. Doctors cleared him to play in the playoff game and he was like nah I'm good. I believe we lost a close game - possibly a missed FG in Pitt? Jets were like yea we're good too, peace.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Yea I think it was a hammy. Doctors cleared him to play in the playoff game and he was like nah I'm good. I believe we lost a close game - possibly a missed FG in Pitt? Jets were like yea we're good too, peace.

Knee and no, he was ruled out by the doctors.  He couldn't cut/change directions.  Confirmed by Vilma.  Somehow the story has gotten distorted over the years.

12 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Knee and no.  He couldn't cut/change directions.  Confirmed by Vilma.  Somehow the story has gotten distorted over the years.

The one thing I remember 100% for sure, the doctors cleared him to play. The injury I wasn't sure on. 

https://nypost.com/2005/01/11/what-else-is-new-abrahams-status-in-the-air/

So he was cleared to play prior to the chargers game, which the Jets won. He refused to play the following week when we lost by a FG @Pitt. Stupid Herm was taking a knee at the end losing yards when it was a 40+ yard FG but damn man Abe could have changed that game big time.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The one thing I remember 100% for sure, the doctors cleared him to play. The injury I wasn't sure on. 

https://nypost.com/2005/01/11/what-else-is-new-abrahams-status-in-the-air/

So he was cleared to play prior to the chargers game, which the Jets won. He refused to play the following week when we lost by a FG @Pitt. Stupid Herm was taking a knee at the end losing yards when it was a 40+ yard FG but damn man Abe could have changed that game big time.

No.  He couldn't go and no one cleared him.

JOHN ABRAHAM will miss his second straight playoff game tomorrow, and there is no guarantee the increasingly defensive Pro Bowl defensive end will be able to suit up if the Jets advance to next week's AFC Championship Game. Herm Edwards publicly painted a bleak picture concerning Abraham's availability when he said yesterday that he "doubted" the ailing Abraham would return to the lineup tomorrow against the Steelers. A team source later confirmed that Abraham already has been ruled out of action for the sixth consecutive game because of his sprained right knee. "I doubt it. I doubt if he plays," Edwards said at his daily press briefing. "He can't really athletically play his position the way he's capable of playing it. That's not good for the player, and it's not good for the football team.

" The Jets never have given a definitive time frame regarding Abraham's condition, other than to term it a "week-to-week" proposition since he sprained his knee Dec. 5 against Houston. Now there's word that he was told it would be a 6-to-10 week injury. The Jets admittedly did Abraham a disservice when they initially listed him as probable before he sat out last week's wild-card playoff game at San Diego amid poor field conditions. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/jets-rule-abraham-article-1.578945

He's supposedly a really good special teams player. So, even if he becomes a backup edge who can provide the occasional sack but also provides solid special teams play, that'll work for me. Martin and Attauchu are at least good backups. 

I don't think he will solve our starting edge position opposite of Jenkins. But we weren't going to solve that issue unless we traded for Mack. It'll have to wait until next offseason. 

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

No.  He couldn't go and no one cleared him.

JOHN ABRAHAM will miss his second straight playoff game tomorrow, and there is no guarantee the increasingly defensive Pro Bowl defensive end will be able to suit up if the Jets advance to next week's AFC Championship Game. Herm Edwards publicly painted a bleak picture concerning Abraham's availability when he said yesterday that he "doubted" the ailing Abraham would return to the lineup tomorrow against the Steelers. A team source later confirmed that Abraham already has been ruled out of action for the sixth consecutive game because of his sprained right knee. "I doubt it. I doubt if he plays," Edwards said at his daily press briefing. "He can't really athletically play his position the way he's capable of playing it. That's not good for the player, and it's not good for the football team.

" The Jets never have given a definitive time frame regarding Abraham's condition, other than to term it a "week-to-week" proposition since he sprained his knee Dec. 5 against Houston. Now there's word that he was told it would be a 6-to-10 week injury. The Jets admittedly did Abraham a disservice when they initially listed him as probable before he sat out last week's wild-card playoff game at San Diego amid poor field conditions. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/jets-rule-abraham-article-1.578945

Read the article I linked to. The doctors cleared him to play before the chargers game.

Abraham did what was best for Abraham.

I don’t want to waste time speculating since it is usually a huge waste of time but I wonder what teams that start out poorly during the first few games, will have a “fire sale” in anticipation of a regime change etc.

Maybe we can get some quality guys via trade after a team’s season is ruined early on. Just wishful thinking on my part. 

Hopefully the Jets are aggressive if the possibility arises..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Read the article I linked to. The doctors cleared him to play before the chargers game.

Abraham did what was best for Abraham.

Cleared to return to PRACTICE, not to play.  It was a 6-10 week injury and they knew he couldn't play.  They were just trying do everything they could do to get him out there.  His own teammate -- Vilma -- said he was out there on the practice field and couldn't cut or change directions.  His own coach said he couldn't play.  You can't find one human source that says he could play, but chose to sat out.

As the link I posted stated, "The Jets admittedly did Abraham a disservice when they initially listed him as probable before he sat out last week's wild-card playoff game at San Diego amid poor field conditions."

Archived