Jets Sign Davis Webb to Practice Squad

Jack Straw

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If you say so.  I knew Wolford was a longer-then-long-shot roster-spot-filler so frankly didn't pay him any mind.  I was confidant the Organization would replace him with a more legitimate prospect-type.

Sadly (from a pure clown-car entertainment standpoint) I doubt we'll ever see the Wildcat back in Jets Green.  

I make no presumption this ex-Giants kid is any good, but he was considered a decent enough prospect at draft, so I'm happy to A. have three QB's again, even if one is on the P.S., and B. have at least one young prospect behind Darnold now.

Like I said, my standards for a 3rd QB were low, and this meets them.

To cite @jetstream23 above, it's hard to be unhappy with a Darnold + Webb with McCown for jock-holding one more year as compared to McClown + Pettybad + Hackenbust last year.

And we have our bonus #3 from TB to spend on another bust WR, so there is that too.

FWIW, (since we went on and on about Wolford last week) I am also on board with this higher ceiling move.  I don't like Webb, and I think that Wolford is probably better suited to long-term backup, but this move is a no-brainer for the practice squad and it appears that Wolford isn't going anywhere if we need him or eventually tire of Webb.   Here are some articles on Wolford for you to read if that happens:

Meet Your ACC Quarterback Draft Sleeper- John Wolford

they could well take a chance on a quarterback either late in the draft or as a priority UDFA. While such players generally have very low success rates, there are numerous examples of undrafted quarterbacks having success in the NFL; eight undrafted quarterbacks threw a pass last season, four started games and since the merger, two undrafted quarterbacks have made the Hall of Fame, with Tony Romo having a chance to join them in the coming years. With that in mind, who might the Panthers be able to get as an undrafted free agent or late-round pick who might be able to stick around in the NFL?  Enter John Wolford.

I might have "liked" your post, but the bold is well into buttfumble territory.  

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Todd Bowles 

On what he saw from Davis Webb that made him want to sign him...

He was somebody we looked at coming out (of college). To have him available and be able to work with him on the practice squad is something that intrigued us about him—with the size and the arm. We aren't surprised or not surprised that he's available. We just thought we'd take a look at him, and he's a good guy to sign for the practice squad.

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Todd Bowles 

On what he saw from Davis Webb that made him want to sign him...

He was somebody we looked at coming out (of college). To have him available and be able to work with him on the practice squad is something that intrigued us about him—with the size and the arm. We aren't surprised or not surprised that he's available. We just thought we'd take a look at him, and he's a good guy to sign for the practice squad.

Size and arm is what got us Hackenburg.

I have seen features on Webb.  He is a coaches kid who supposedly is a student of the game, works hard, competitive, etc.  I would have liked Bowles to talk about that.

He did run the same offense well that Jared Goff did.  This is a good move.  

I haven't watched much of Webb, but from what I saw this preseason he was quite terrible. I like this move strictly from a hilarity standpoint.

NFL Gods: "Hey, Giants, do you want Sam Darnold?"

Giants: "Nah, we're good. We have Davis Webb."

NFL Gods: "Hey, Jets, do you want Sam Darnold?"

Jets: "**** yeah!"

NFL Gods: "Hey, Giants, how are you enjoying Webb?"

Giants: "He kinda sucks now. Take him back."

NFL Gods: "Anybody want Davis Webb?"

Jets:  *Ahem* "We'll take him, too. k, thanks, lol"

I feel bad for Wolford, though I understand the move to bring in Webb.

I liked Wolford, thought he coped well with being thrown into the fire last week, and would have liked to see him developed on the PS. He is shorter than ideal and doesn't have a huge arm, but he's smart and could have become a long-term backup type. Sometimes the NFL sucks - must hurt to be brought in, thrown into the fire, get cut, get brought back, get your hopes up for a year on the PS, then get cut again...all within just over a week.

Webb clearly looks more like your prototype QB and has the higher upside. You do have to wonder why the Giants gave up on him so soon after he was drafted in the 3rd last year, and why the prefer Alex Tanney or potentially Matt McGloin over Webb. Hopefully, he can be developed into a strong backup or potential trade piece over the next year. 

1 hour ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Another difference between college and NFL message boards, I’m assuming....many of us know each other, tailgate together, attend recruiting dinners and university athletic department functions.  We’re a family.

I don’t hide behind a member name, always speak my mind and happy to defend my input face to face.  

My name is Linda.

^^Keeps it real.

I like this one.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

This is the complete opposite of what the Jets have done in the past with guys like Danny Woodhead coming to mind.  The Giants tried to sneak Webb through to their PS but Macc-Daddy intercepted it like an Eli floater over the middle.  \\:D/

This take is not correct.  The Giants were not looking to stash Webb on the practice squad.  They picked up Alex Tanney a 30 year old D2 superstar that has been on a half dozen teams in six seasons and played in 1 game. If they didn't think Webb sucked they'd have kept him.  The new staff obviously was not enamored.  They tried to work a trade for Webb, but the Raiders went for McCarron for a 5th instead.  The Giants obviously felt Webb was not ready to be a #2QB and Lauleta is a better developmental prospect.

The Jets tried to stash Woodhead on the practice squad because he was trash on cover teams and he wasn't going to add much to the RB room behind Greene and Tomlinson.  They had McKnight and Brad Smith who could carry the ball and contribute on specials and Woodhead personally cost them the home game against Miami the year before.  Bottom of roster guys have to contribute on specials.  That is how a guy like Wallace Wright stuck around.

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

Am I supposed to really respond to this?  I mean I would think we all know the QBs work w/Bates, Asst QB coach Lombardi.

Nope, no response necessary.  It was a joke and a small shot at our coaching staff's inability these last few years to develop very many players.  Let's hope Bates bucks the trend.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

If they didn't think Webb sucked they'd have kept him.  The new staff obviously was not enamored.  They tried to work a trade for Webb, but the Raiders went for McCarron for a 5th instead.

Enjoying the holiday weekend (still, lol!) and didn't notice this one. 

Bills gave McCarron a $4M signing bonus that they will eat between this year and next, got a fifth-round pick back, and the team is left with Peterman and Allen as their QBs - and people here were bent about the Bridgewater trade? 

10 hours ago, C Mart said:

no doubt. And obviously Jets have the cap room..PS salaries count against the cap

I've read other teams have done this in the past and just read Seattle is doing this with the QB they signed to their PS

Eric Edholm‏ @Eric_Edholm 

QB Alex McGough signed back to Seahawks practice squad, per source

And they’re paying him his Full Paragraph 5 (Base Salary) to be on PS. Clear they want him there ... 

To stash him on the PS all season, cap-wise Webb will effectively cost $125K, not $600K. These days that’s not even a rounding error.

Yes other teams are doing this as well with the cap limits as high as they are now. It’s a good move not just because it makes a player more interested in our PS than someone else’s, but even more so for this position (QB3) in particular. Most teams carry 3 QBs. Sometimes they only carry 2 because they simply don’t want to use up the roster spot, and since nobody dresses 3 on gameday anyway it’d be a roster spot for a guy who’ll never be active. Sigining him to the PS clears the roster slot to take a chance on another guy who might see some occasional active-roster promotion here & there.

Really no downside here; even cap-strapped teams are never desperate for another mere $125K in cap space. 

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

This take is not correct.  The Giants were not looking to stash Webb on the practice squad.  They picked up Alex Tanney a 30 year old D2 superstar that has been on a half dozen teams in six seasons and played in 1 game. If they didn't think Webb sucked they'd have kept him.  The new staff obviously was not enamored.  They tried to work a trade for Webb, but the Raiders went for McCarron for a 5th instead.  The Giants obviously felt Webb was not ready to be a #2QB and Lauleta is a better developmental prospect.

The Jets tried to stash Woodhead on the practice squad because he was trash on cover teams and he wasn't going to add much to the RB room behind Greene and Tomlinson.  They had McKnight and Brad Smith who could carry the ball and contribute on specials and Woodhead personally cost them the home game against Miami the year before.  Bottom of roster guys have to contribute on specials.  That is how a guy like Wallace Wright stuck around.

If this is accurate then I stand corrected.  I'm going by the blurb I heard during a sports radio update saying that the "Jets poached QB Davis Webb from the Giants who were possibly trying to sneak him through waivers to their practice squad."

Is Davis Webb really that bad or are the Jets that desperate to overpay for a PS candidate?  He played well this Summer and seemed to be developing.  Giving him only 1 year is kind of stunning.....even Hackenberg got more time to show he couldn't play football.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

If this is accurate then I stand corrected.  I'm going by the blurb I heard during a sports radio update saying that the "Jets poached QB Davis Webb from the Giants who were possibly trying to sneak him through waivers to their practice squad."

Is Davis Webb really that bad or are the Jets that desperate to overpay for a PS candidate?  He played well this Summer and seemed to be developing.  Giving him only 1 year is kind of stunning.....even Hackenberg got more time to show he couldn't play football.

Look up Alex Tanney and decide for yourself.

Don't know many saying he played well this summer.

The Giants love Lauletta, pre-draft talk about him as a real sleeper in the draft. His main knock was his arm strength. Davis is a very good pick up, their new GM/HC had no loyalty to him, since he was drafted by the previous regime. 

Hopefuly he can develop into a good back up. He's also cheap for a few years.

14 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

To stash him on the PS all season, cap-wise Webb will effectively cost $125K, not $600K. These days that’s not even a rounding error.

Really no downside here; even cap-strapped teams are never desperate for another mere $125K in cap space. 

Maybe I'm missing something. Where does the $125K come from regarding Webb?  It was reported the Jets are paying his full regular salary for this season approx $600K

There is no maximum what a team can pay a PS player

28 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Maybe I'm missing something. Where does the $125K come from regarding Webb?  It was reported the Jets are paying his full regular salary for this season approx $600K

There is no maximum what a team can pay a PS player

Yes, but the cap only hits from the top 51.

Say without Webb, Player A was cap-hit #51, at $480K with no bonus money (as it is on basically every NFL roster).

Now you add in Webb at $605K. Woody still pays Player A his $480K, as he's still on the roster, but now he's bumped down to cap-hit #52 (meaning he doesn't count against the cap at all).

Within the top 51, the $480K cap hit for Player A is replaced by a $605K cap hit for Webb. The net additional hit is the difference between those two figures: $125K.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Say without Webb, player A with cap-hit #51 is $480K with no bonus money (as it is on basically every NFL roster).

Now you add in Webb at $605K. Woody still pays Player A his $480K, as he's still on the roster, but now he's bumped down to cap-hit #52 (meaning he doesn't count against the cap at all).

Within the top 51, the $480K cap hit for Player A is replaced by a $605K cap hit for Webb. The net additional hit is the difference between those two figures: $125K.

Not in season..In season all 53, PS, IR all count against the cap..Top 51 only pertains to offseason and obviously there isn't a PS during offseason

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not true,  this is wrong, C Mart was right:

Who falls under the Salary Cap? 

Answer: The "Team Salary" falls under the Salary Cap. Team salary includes the amount a team must pay its current or former players under their player contracts. Notice emphasis on the word PLAYERS. The salary cap does not apply to coaches, assistants, trainers, and other personnel. Only the top 51 player salaries for a team count against the salary cap in the offseason. (Outstanding tenders apply.) During the season, all player salaries count toward the salary cap.

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Say without Webb, Player A was cap-hit #51, at $480K with no bonus money (as it is on basically every NFL roster).

This is not accurate, Sperm.  Once rosters are cut to 53, the cap hit is from all players on the roster and PSquad, not just the top 51.  The top 51 rule is only for camp, so teams that are close to the cap can still have full 90 man rosters.

16 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

This is not accurate, Sperm.  Once rosters are cut to 53, the cap hit is from all players on the roster and PSquad, not just the top 51.  The top 51 rule is only for camp, so teams that are close to the cap can still have full 90 man rosters.

41 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Not in season..In season all 53, PS, IR all count against the cap..Top 51 only pertains to offseason and obviously there isn't a PS during offseason

51, 53. I took it as the top ___ players. In the past, PS players never entered anywhere near the top anything & never paid attention to their fixed numbers, as they were typically the same for every team every year (same # of PS players and generally they all made the same minimum $). 

This makes it technically worse not better, but certainly not by much.

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Look up Alex Tanney and decide for yourself.

Don't know many saying he played well this summer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/ny-sports-davis-webb-waived-20180902-story.html

Webb outperformed Lauletta this preseason, but it makes you wonder how long ago Gettleman and Shurmur actually decided to move on from Webb if he was taking second team snaps all training camp and preseason — and started with the ones and played well in the second game in Detroit — but still was released.

44 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I didn't think you made it up.  I just don't think Webb performed very well.  He had slightly better numbers than Lauletta, but Lauletta was in his first camp and actually had more ypa when he is the chicken arm.  They liked how Lauletta saw what he wanted and let it rip.  They were not happy with Webb's decision making and from what I saw, I can't blame them.  I don't doubt they always planned to dump Webb and were just trying to get something back. He's a worse choice than Bridgewater or McCarron, so he got waived. 

Archived