What are we gonna see Monday night?

Dcronin

Anyone think we can find a way to win? I just can't see our o-line and running game supporting Sam enough to score enough points to beat Stafford and Tate & co.

But maybe we DO get things going on the ground, and keep Stafford off the field?

Expecting Sam to have a pick or fumble. He's a rook.

DC

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're going to see a close game that highlights Sam's ability to improvise. Whether Beachum is there or not, he will not have valuable reps with his line mates. O line will be s problem. 

Our secondary will hold against the outside and it will be a low scoring, bend dont break affair. LBs will do better than expected, Williamson being key. Any QB pressure will be with blitzes, though

Pryor, Enunwa and Anderson giving Detroit fits with Crowell and Powell catching the ball out of the backfield.

Not much from the TEs

Defense will stuff the run, but Stafford will get his yards because of the Jets pass rush. Jets stiffen in the redzone

Jets special teams commit a bunch of penalties

In the end Darnold is the difference and he brings the Jets back for his first comeback win

Detroit is bad, but they beat the Saints, Jaguars, Eagles and swept the Vikings last year. If Stafford gets going, they can beat anyone. If you start sacking Stafford, you can beat them. The Jets aren’t sacking anything, so it’s safe to expect Stafford to put up some points. Defensively, the Lions have Ansah and Darius Slay, and nothing else, so we should see some decent play from Sam Darnold. Ultimately, I think the Lions put up 30 points and it’s too much for Darnold to compete with. 34-21 Lions.

The Jets have a chance because of the Lions' lack of "moxie," their mediocre defense, and their annual struggles to run the ball.

The biggest problem playing Detroit is, surprise surprise, the Jets lack of a pass rush.  Jones, Tate, and Golladay will shred the Jets if Stafford has 5 seconds in the pocket every play.  

Although I hate Bowles and his inept appearing defense, our preseason D's performance wasn't all that horrible by any stretch.  Blah blah, I know....preseason doesn't carry over into the regular season blah blah.  None the less if we can establish a half-ass run game I think we win...provided ST doesn't screw us over of course.       

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Detroit is bad, but they beat the Saints, Jaguars, Eagles and swept the Vikings last year. If Stafford gets going, they can beat anyone. If you start sacking Stafford, you can beat them. The Jets aren’t sacking anything, so it’s safe to expect Stafford to put up some points. Defensively, the Lions have Ansah and Darius Slay, and nothing else, so we should see some decent play from Sam Darnold. Ultimately, I think the Lions put up 30 points and it’s too much for Darnold to compete with. 34-21 Lions.

fair assessment... I think the lions lose 34 -31 with the jets getting way ahead of themselves thinking they are now great....

One other thing to consider: the Jets two most important Darnold-related players are Kelvin Beachum and Jermaine Kearse, and they’re both battling injuries. Kearse is likely to miss the game with his abdomen issue, but Beachum supposedly practiced today with foot injury. Beachum has had injury issues forever, and the team starts off with three games in ten days. 

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

One other thing to consider: the Jets two most important Darnold-related players are Kelvin Beachum and Jermaine Kearse, and they’re both battling injuries. Kearse is likely to miss the game with his abdomen issue, but Beachum supposedly practiced today with foot injury. Beachum has had injury issues forever, and the team starts off with three games in ten days. 

Lucky for us this is a team of mighty men and not some sniveling pack of foul rodents posting predictions of doom and gloom from their dimly lit basements.

2 minutes ago, Pac said:

Lucky for us this is a team of mighty men and not some sniveling pack of foul rodents posting predictions of doom and gloom from their dimly lit basements.

I was going to forcefully rebut this slander, but then I saw you suggested I roll with a “pack” of like-minded friends, which was nice, if incorrect.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Everything they have done with Beachum since his injury has been to get him ready for this game. Seems like he is playing.

I like Kearse but I don't see him being the 2nd most important player to Darnold. The benefit of having a receiving corps of 800 yard a year guys is that they are all kind of replaceable.

Spencer Long might be the 2nd most important player for Darnold.

Either way, the Jets win this one. The season starts this way:

Todd Bowles 1

Bill Belichick's Flunky 0

Archived