What are we gonna see Monday night?

Dcronin

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Something to consider...

The Jets have never lost a game when I have gone to Detroit to see them play. Will the streak stay alive on Monday night? I think so...

Nice. When was the last time, late 2000s? I promised my family there i would go next time... sadly life isn't going give me a break there. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Detroit is bad, but they beat the Saints, Jaguars, Eagles and swept the Vikings last year. If Stafford gets going, they can beat anyone. If you start sacking Stafford, you can beat them. The Jets aren’t sacking anything, so it’s safe to expect Stafford to put up some points. Defensively, the Lions have Ansah and Darius Slay, and nothing else, so we should see some decent play from Sam Darnold. Ultimately, I think the Lions put up 30 points and it’s too much for Darnold to compete with. 34-21 Lions.

Literally, none of them things happened. 

I think Detroit are alright and we will likely lose, however I think you've been looking at the wrong season results mate.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Jets fans need to get back some swagger. 

I think the "Post Of The Week" reaction I gave this post was probably the most deserving of the actual "Post Of The Week" title.

NFL FOOTBALL IS OFFICIALLY BACK IN LESS THAN 48 HOURS PEOPLE.  

Detroit have a questionable run defense, so I expect lots of ground and pound with some play action mixed in to get Sam comfortable.

Main question for me is can we hold them to three often enough to come away winners?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Detroit is bad, but they beat the Saints, Jaguars, Eagles and swept the Vikings last year. If Stafford gets going, they can beat anyone. If you start sacking Stafford, you can beat them. The Jets aren’t sacking anything, so it’s safe to expect Stafford to put up some points. Defensively, the Lions have Ansah and Darius Slay, and nothing else, so we should see some decent play from Sam Darnold. Ultimately, I think the Lions put up 30 points and it’s too much for Darnold to compete with. 34-21 Lions.

They did not sweep the Vikings last year.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Logical. 

1 hour ago, roscoeword said:

I don't care how poor the Detroit dl is, the run bocking of our offensive line is worst than their pass blocking. I havent seen a decent hole for a running back to run through for 2 years, don't really think we're built for the ground and pound

2 years?  Pretty big hole vs arguably the best defense in the league . Watching forte trying to reach the hole  in reasonable time was a whole nother thing tho . 

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If they can get a pass rush on Stafford they have a Chance. No pass rush it could get ugly. The Lions may even have a running game to stop with the additions they have made. I think the Jets keep it close but the Lions win it late 27-21.

Blount is the type of big back the Jets always bottle up, it's the jittery quick guys they have problems with. Is Golden Tate 100%? Thought I read he was tweaked?

Anyway, They'll be plenty of happy Jet fans when they see Bates use the ENTIRE FIELD for offense now that he has a guy accurate enough & with a strong enough arm to throw a damn out pattern. 

Stretch them out with outs, swing passes to Powell & Crowell then dagger them with seam routes to the TEs & Enunwa. Convert 3rd downs using our height & size with Pryor & Quincy. I'm sure if Anderson gets a one on one we're going downtown! Once Robby scares them with the deep ball, he'll turned them around on 9 route digs, inside & out. Robby could have a huge game if they go man. 

Gonna be fun to watch.

5 hours ago, morny said:

Literally, none of them things happened. 

I think Detroit are alright and we will likely lose, however I think you've been looking at the wrong season results mate.

2 hours ago, Dcronin said:

They did not sweep the Vikings last year.

My bad. I was looking at 2016. Few things in life worse than ESPN’s mobile site.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

My bad. I was looking at 2016. Few things in life worse than ESPN’s mobile site.

When I saw your post, I was like, holy sh*t, they beat all those teams last year, how'd they miss the playoffs? 

We win coin toss ... Bowles asks if we can be team licking off in both halves

OL struggles to sync up with each other , & with new QB. ... Causing a Couple do drive killing penalties

D allows Detroit  5-10 3rd & long (7+ yds) conversions

Specials commit 2-3 penalties & allow Detroit a run back for a TD ... Or at least into the redzone

down 31-17 with 3 minutes left ... 4th & 1 from the 8 yard line ... Bowles calls a TO ... Decides to kick a FG

Darnold has a 250 yd 2td 1 int 30 yds rushing performance but is not able to overcome his coaches blunders 

10 hours ago, Larz said:

Pryor, Enunwa and Anderson giving Detroit fits with Crowell and Powell catching the ball out of the backfield.

Not much from the TEs

Defense will stuff the run, but Stafford will get his yards because of the Jets pass rush. Jets stiffen in the redzone

Jets special teams commit a bunch of penalties

In the end Darnold is the difference and he brings the Jets back for his first comeback win

Agree with the first sentence.  Detroit's LBs struggle in coverage, and we should be misdirection-ing the crap out of them all game, moving sam around and hitting a few plays down the field.

Stafford and Tate always kill us, but as usual with Bowles, I hope he sees a relatively easy game plan.  Marvin Jones is a good, not great WR who should be shadowed by Trumaine who needs to be left on an island.  Double tate the entire game and make some other no-name beat us.  I dont even know who the Detroit TEs are and Kenny Gollady is their 3rd WR, who is tall but not explosive.  Get that double on Tate and go from there....

I think we will see an offense that is run first and is putting Sam is tough passing situations until its too late.

I also think we will see a defense that will stop the run for the most part but wont be able to get off the field on 3rd downs as we have 0 pash rush.

What would I like to see:

I'd love to see us pass to set up the run, not the other way around. Keep Detroit's D on their heels and hit them with some high % pass plays on obvious run downs. This will get Sam in a groove and then we can hit one deep. We cant put this guy in 3rd and longs early. Detroit will be stacking the box early and daring us to throw the ball. So lets take advantage of that. Back them off and then we can hit on some runs. Pass on running downs and run on some passing downs.

I'd also love to see them pass the ball 2-3 times in a row. This offense is known for completing a nice passing play and 95% of the time the next play is a run. What's so wrong with throwing multiple times in a row?

Another thing I want to see is less pre snap flags and  drive killing or extending penalties. We really need to clean this up to have a fighting chance.

In the end this game is a real toss up. So close that I think it comes down to coaching and truthfully I just don't have faith in ours. Gun to my head, the Jets lose a very winnable game. But we see Sam is the real deal and know once we get some legit coaching, this team will be one to recon with for a long time.

Blitzing is about scheme & surprise. I think the defense will surprise because it’s opening night & there is no film on this defense yet. We played straight up in the preseason. We have some fast guys in the secondary that can blitz. 

Jets know what Stafford does well & have tons of film. Detroit has an IDEA what Darnold likes to do but he’s pretty much a mystery based on what Bates showed in preseason. 

If Bowles goes run run pass, we’re dead. Let’s hope Sam opens Bowles mind to the possibility of actually attacking bad LBs & secondary.

I've looked at this bet a thousand different ways and there's no way I can convince myself to even take the 6.5 points, let alone hope for an outright win. 

Sam Darnold's 1st start ever comes on the road in a dome (loud) on MNF. We can talk about the Rose Bowl and all that jazz but it's going to be faster than he's ever seen and he's probably going to make mistakes. He learns from his mistakes which is great but he's going to make them.  The offense (besides TE) isn't even that concerning.

More concerning is Kacy Rodgers' "bend but don't break" defense. They got worked over in preseason because they lack talent. They are decent up the middle but have literally no starting caliber pass rushers in the front seven. They have 1 great CB but Skrine can't cover Golden Tate in the slot. They are probably going to bend AND break, Stafford is an operator at this point in his career. 

Jets' ST has been an abortion. Is the kicker still Myers? What happened to Dan Bailey? Is the punt coverage team getting fixed?

Coaching is a wash. Patricia vs Bowles they are both eh, not great. 

Usually, when I take points I want the underdog to have some kind of advantage.

Sorry dudes DET -6.5 I hope to be wrong.  The other -6.5 line this week is HOU@NE by the way.

I think the offense will get off to a slow start but once they get into a rhythm I expect Darnold to make some nice throws. Outside of Ziggy Ansah nobody in their front seven scares me much. Obviously the road in prime time isn't the ideal place to make your first start, but the Lions defense is pretty soft. I think we'll score some points.

Honestly, more worried about the defense. Stafford is overrated IMO but when you give him time (we'll give him time) he can pick you apart. Bowles will have to get creative with his blitz packages to get after Staford.

Feels like a 31-24 type loss.

12 hours ago, Dcronin said:

What are we gonna see Monday night?

Probably a football game.  Probably.

Anyone think we can find a way to win?

Sure, why not?

I just can't see our o-line and running game supporting Sam enough to score enough points to beat Stafford and Tate & co.

But maybe we DO get things going on the ground, and keep Stafford off the field?

Expecting Sam to have a pick or fumble. He's a rook.

DC

O-line criticism is fair, as is general cynicism regarding our ability to score.

With that said, the Lions are not a powerhouse, they were a 9 win team ranked in the mid to upper 20's in Defense last year.  They're hardly the 85'-86' Bears.

Lets just see how it plays out with Darnold under center, and hope/wish for the best.

I’m expecting:

Halfback draw on 3rd and long.

Darnold trying to will the team past the inadequacies if the coaching and surrounding talent.

A bad offensive line.

A defense that lets crappy QBs play pitch and catch. 

Bowles mismanaging game situations.

Bad special teams play.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I've looked at this bet a thousand different ways and there's no way I can convince myself to even take the 6.5 points, let alone hope for an outright win. 

Sam Darnold's 1st start ever comes on the road in a dome (loud) on MNF. We can talk about the Rose Bowl and all that jazz but it's going to be faster than he's ever seen and he's probably going to make mistakes. He learns from his mistakes which is great but he's going to make them.  The offense (besides TE) isn't even that concerning.

More concerning is Kacy Rodgers' "bend but don't break" defense. They got worked over in preseason because they lack talent. They are decent up the middle but have literally no starting caliber pass rushers in the front seven. They have 1 great CB but Skrine can't cover Golden Tate in the slot. They are probably going to bend AND break, Stafford is an operator at this point in his career. 

Jets' ST has been an abortion. Is the kicker still Myers? What happened to Dan Bailey? Is the punt coverage team getting fixed?

Coaching is a wash. Patricia vs Bowles they are both eh, not great. 

Usually, when I take points I want the underdog to have some kind of advantage.

Sorry dudes DET -6.5 I hope to be wrong.  The other -6.5 line this week is HOU@NE by the way.

They were 4-4 at home last year.  New system, no book on Darnold.  This is hardly insurmountable.

Archived