What are we gonna see Monday night?

Dcronin

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

They were 4-4 at home last year.  New system, no book on Darnold.  This is hardly insurmountable.

Darnold, for all his rookie mistakes etc, is actually the least of our concerns. 

The defense is worse than the offense and somehow the ST is worse than both. They are still trying out place kickers less than a week before the game. The Giants cut the dude who busted a PR TD on them in week 3. When you miss on every draft pick since 2015 and trade away all the seconds to get FQBGE_Darnold, the roster ends up depleted.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, NoBowles said:

We are going to get a damn good feel for how nice of a handoff Sam Darnold has. I personally am curious to see which side he handoffs better to, left or right. That will be my big suspense for the night.

Thats what I fully expect from a WCO and from what I saw all preseason

I really have no idea what to expect & being a long time optimistic Jet fan until we start f*cking up on the field, once, just once, I'd love to see something that only happens to other teams but never the Jets.

Could you imagine if Darnold came out & just LIT IT UP? I'm talking like a 14-16 1st half, 3 TDs, lasers just jumping from his hand to WRs, Lions D all shook up, twitter f*cking EXPLODING with Pats, Bills, Fin fans saying OH SH*T are you watching this kid! 

That would completely erase any memory of the Thanksgiving Day Massacre. Everyone knows that fans of other teams that watch primetime games expect to see the Jets get trounced in primetime. We love our team but a lot of people look to see who the MNF game is & im sure comment, ugh, the f*cking Jets? 

As for the defense, given that Trumaine can handle Marvin Jones in single coverage, I hope we dont try to rush stafford with 5 or 6 guys, that type of blitzing leaves us too susceptible to big plays.  Id rather see us play 3 DL, 2 LB and 6 DBs on passing downs, and run underneath trap coverage with the 3 lineman and 1 DB or LB blitzing from different spots and everyone else dropping in coverage. 

The lions Oline is excellent and even if we had a better pass rush would still be able to give stafford time.  The best way to negate the strength of their line is to stunt, and try to get someone fast to pop free into the backfield and use Stafford's lack of mobility to our advantage. 

I think a lower scoring game the under in the 30's. So far Sam hasn't shown the ability to put points on the board consistently and Stafford has. But Sam hasn't played 4 quarters yet and he was a great come from behind 4th Q Qb at USC. He also for a rookie not too many mistakes so far. I think we win by 3.

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats what I fully expect from a WCO and from what I saw all preseason

It was a joke... But to the bigger point, I fully expect to see a grossly conservative game plan that puts Darnold in really bad passing situations on a regular basis. Something like this:

1st down Run for 2

2nd down Run for 1

3rd and 7 either:

a) dump off for 3

b) hand off for 4

c) scramble to avoid pressure and throw away

d) sack

Occasionally we will get really crazy and switch off 1st down with 3rd and 7

I think we’ll see a tight game and may even win:

“If” the Jets can figure out a way to get to Stafford early. Get him looking over his shoulder.

“If” the Oline can run block and give Sam some time.

“If” Crowell can establish the run early complemented with Darnold airing it out a couple times early to loosen up the D and spread them out. One thing we haven’t really seen in preseason is Darnold going deep. Has to happen and the sooner the better. Robbie or Pryor need to go long. I’d do it first play of the game, play action and post.

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

It was a joke... But to the bigger point, I fully expect to see a grossly conservative game plan that puts Darnold in really bad passing situations on a regular basis. Something like this:

1st down Run for 2

2nd down Run for 1

3rd and 7 either:

a) dump off for 3

b) hand off for 4

d) sack

No offense, how was the earlier post a joke if this is what you expect.  LOL

That doesn't sound like a WCO either, 3 straight runs?

16 hours ago, edscuba said:

I think Bates has been holding back the bombs to Anderson and Pryor........Bombs away. Jets win.

funny you say that because I was thinking the same thing.  Not that I am predicting a Jets W, but still.  All you hear about is how Darnold can't (hasn't?) thrown the long ball.  come on really??

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

I've looked at this bet a thousand different ways and there's no way I can convince myself to even take the 6.5 points, let alone hope for an outright win. 

Sam Darnold's 1st start ever comes on the road in a dome (loud) on MNF. We can talk about the Rose Bowl and all that jazz but it's going to be faster than he's ever seen and he's probably going to make mistakes. He learns from his mistakes which is great but he's going to make them.  The offense (besides TE) isn't even that concerning.

More concerning is Kacy Rodgers' "bend but don't break" defense. They got worked over in preseason because they lack talent. They are decent up the middle but have literally no starting caliber pass rushers in the front seven. They have 1 great CB but Skrine can't cover Golden Tate in the slot. They are probably going to bend AND break, Stafford is an operator at this point in his career. 

Jets' ST has been an abortion. Is the kicker still Myers? What happened to Dan Bailey? Is the punt coverage team getting fixed?

Coaching is a wash. Patricia vs Bowles they are both eh, not great. 

Usually, when I take points I want the underdog to have some kind of advantage.

Sorry dudes DET -6.5 I hope to be wrong.  The other -6.5 line this week is HOU@NE by the way.

while I don't like Kacy Rodgers at all you mentioned the Defense getting worked over in the pre season. Was that the same pre season our D didn't give up a TD in 4 games ? 

That being said if the Jets defense was to play anything like the preseason and give up field goals in the so called bend but don't break defense would you be disappointed ?

I think this defense is fast enough to play well and cover well in today's NFL which is leaning more dink and dunk than ever before but the 2 guys I do not have any faith in at all are Bowles and Rodgers.

Bates is getting his shot to be OC and Bowles is going to handcuff him. Last year Morton tried to open up this offense and for the most part he made it the most exciting we've seen in years, which wasn't much, but it was more then we  Jets fans had seen for a long time. That got him fired while Todd and Kacy sh*t the bed in so many ways they kept their job and the only coordinator that produced anything got the boot.

Maybe Bates is the right guy to bring Darnold along but IMHO Bowles will do everything in his power to put his conservative stamp on this offense and I'm afraid if  Bates pushes back no matter how well he does with Darnold he will be short lived and probably be yet another scapegoat in a long list of Todd Bowles scapegoats.

I think this team has some good young talent but Im 100 percent sure we have the wrong HC and that is the only thing keeping me down going into week 1 it reminds me on the Joe Walton days when you just could not believe with all that talent we had we just kept bringing Joe back year fater year after year not matter how much the fans begged for him to be replaced.

This football team has had 2 very good coaches in all of its existence Weeb and Bill and we won with those guys .... what has this team done with anyone else ? The key to all the inconsistency and losing is the history of coaching this fan base has endured .

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

1st down Run for 2

2nd down Run for 1

3rd and 7 either:

a) dump off for 3

b) hand off for 4

d) sack

Essentially what we saw Darnold do in August. Even for what's supposed to be a new chapter/phase in Jets football - this staff just puts a damper on everything. I hope they open it up and let him play, but it's unlikely.

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

My main concern is defending the deep ball 

the secondary is the least of our problems we have one of the better corner tandems in the league Skrine is where he belongs (finally) in the slot and we have whats supposed to be a very good young safety tandem and a lot of depth. So why would you be worried about the deep ball ? Is it scheme ? Because in that case maybe I can agree but talent wise our secondary is one of the better all around units in the NFL

Just now, Matt39 said:

Essentially what we saw Darnold do in August. Even for what's supposed to be a new chapter/phase in Jets football - this staff just puts a damper on everything. I hope they open it up and let him play, but it's unlikely.

FWIW the west coast scheme is a short passing scheme with shots taken deep as the defense moves up. The question is can we be consistent and move the chains like some of the great west coast teams of the past ? Time will tell but I do not think you are going to see an offense open up unless they get consistent moving the ball in the short passing game first. Biggest question is do we have the explosive athletes it takes to run the WCO ? I don't think we do but time will tell.

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

No, a CS isn't a fan who wants instant gratification.  You try as hard as possible to put a young QB in a position to succeed.  Not to take risks like a seasoned QB.  

I think they'll open up over what we saw in PS, the 3rd stringers are gone but every week they'll give Darnold more and more responsibility

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No offense, how was the earlier post a joke if this is what you expect.  LOL

That doesn't sound like a WCO either, 3 straight runs?

None taken. I never said I expect to see a WCO, I expect to see a conservative game, its what Bowles is, and how he wants to play.

23 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

None taken. I never said I expect to see a WCO, I expect to see a conservative game, its what Bowles is, and how he wants to play.

Except I've never seen this conservative run offense we like to believe he runs.  Fitz set the passing TD record.  McCown like Fitz had his best season under Bowles.  So I don't think being conservative is the plan.  We'll have to see once Sam gets experience how the O plays out.  

9 hours ago, LockeJET said:

I think we will see an offense that is run first and is putting Sam is tough passing situations until its too late.

I also think we will see a defense that will stop the run for the most part but wont be able to get off the field on 3rd downs as we have 0 pash rush.

What would I like to see:

I'd love to see us pass to set up the run, not the other way around. Keep Detroit's D on their heels and hit them with some high % pass plays on obvious run downs. This will get Sam in a groove and then we can hit one deep. We cant put this guy in 3rd and longs early. Detroit will be stacking the box early and daring us to throw the ball. So lets take advantage of that. Back them off and then we can hit on some runs. Pass on running downs and run on some passing downs.

I'd also love to see them pass the ball 2-3 times in a row. This offense is known for completing a nice passing play and 95% of the time the next play is a run. What's so wrong with throwing multiple times in a row?

Another thing I want to see is less pre snap flags and  drive killing or extending penalties. We really need to clean this up to have a fighting chance.

In the end this game is a real toss up. So close that I think it comes down to coaching and truthfully I just don't have faith in ours. Gun to my head, the Jets lose a very winnable game. But we see Sam is the real deal and know once we get some legit coaching, this team will be one to recon with for a long time.

I think you will get your wish. I fully expect the game plan you are hoping for to be the one the Jets use. Why, because Bowles is smarter than you give him credit for and he has confidence in Sam.

I also expect Stafford to feel considerable pressure from our defense.

My worry is special teams mistakes and flag happy refs who are less prepared than the players. If they let them play, Jets will find a way to win.

5 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I think you will get your wish. I fully expect the game plan you are hoping for to be the one the Jets use. Why, because Bowles is smarter than you give him credit for and he has confidence in Sam.

I also expect Stafford to feel considerable pressure from our defense.

My worry is special teams mistakes and flag happy refs who are less prepared than the players. If they let them play, Jets will find a way to win.

Ah u think our defense can pressure a qb that’s so cute!

38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except I've never seen this conservative run offense we like to believe he runs.  Fitz set the passing TD record.  McCown like Fitz had his best season under Bowles.  So I don't think being conservative is the plan.  We'll have to see once Sam gets experience how the O plays out.  

I think the offense will be balanced and effective the problem is our defense is going to give up some serious pointage

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Ah u think our defense can pressure a qb that’s so cute!

We shall see. Bowles proved in Arizona that he knew what he was doing. He hasn't forgotten how and he has more pieces now. I'm optimistic.

Heck, I'm always optimistic this week. We're undefeated!

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I bet Darnold gets great experience handing the ball off, he will master the handoff like no other 

Archived