2019 WR watch

Paradis

All things WR can be tracked here... There's some names below i'm going to weekly try to keep track of... 

While we are certainly in the market for that marquee #1 WR next year, given our lack of a 2nd round pick, I doubt this is the year... but we'll see. A lot can happen.

(list is likely to grow/change)

• AJ Brown (ole miss)... opened with just another day at the office, 7/95/1... he makes tough contested catches. Davante Adams of recent ilk comes to mind
  • N'Keal Harry (ASU)... Came out swinging. I'll post below
  • Deebo Samuel (s. car).. decent start to the year with nice 7/56/1 line w/ a nice 1 handed snag in the endzone
  • Anthony Johnson (Buf)... same as deebo, didn't see the game, caught a couple highlights. This guy is 2019's Corey Davis
  • Jalen Hurd (baylor)... Nice grab in the endzone on a 25 yard high throw. Looking good.
  • Chase Claypool (ND)... quiet-ish game, couple of big catches and a big special teams tackle. 

Some others that caught my eye; Curtis Johnson (texas), Tyrie Cleveland (Fla), Jamarius Way (S. 'Bama)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Henry strikes me as one of those guys who gets hyped up after putting up monster numbers with prototypical size, "falls" before the draft because he won't run a good time (but also doesn't have a lot of route running experience if what I've read is correct), and then everyone calls a steal. I could see him having a nice career after that though.

I tend to prefer the WR by committee approach to having that stud #1 and think it's doable if you have a franchise QB (which hopefully the Jets do). Unfortunately Maccagnan hasn't really shown a propensity for drafting the position well. I'll probably want them to target a bigger bodied guy with one of the 3's as we get closer.

Also love going 2 TE which hopefully we can do some of with this 4 TE roster. Think it's a great way to threaten the middle of the field in the passing game but also have credibility running the football. If only one emerges from the current roster I'd kick around nabbing Fant. First read about him from an Iowa fan on here so he definitely gets credit but his name keeps popping up in early draft stuff I read. Not a big game week one but did score a TD.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:10 PM, derp said:

Henry strikes me as one of those guys who gets hyped up after putting up monster numbers with prototypical size, "falls" before the draft because he won't run a good time (but also doesn't have a lot of route running experience if what I've read is correct), and then everyone calls a steal. I could see him having a nice career after that though.

I tend to prefer the WR by committee approach to having that stud #1 and think it's doable if you have a franchise QB (which hopefully the Jets do). Unfortunately Maccagnan hasn't really shown a propensity for drafting the position well. I'll probably want them to target a bigger bodied guy with one of the 3's as we get closer.

Also love going 2 TE which hopefully we can do some of with this 4 TE roster. Think it's a great way to threaten the middle of the field in the passing game but also have credibility running the football. If only one emerges from the current roster I'd kick around nabbing Fant. First read about him from an Iowa fan on here so he definitely gets credit but his name keeps popping up in early draft stuff I read. Not a big game week one but did score a TD.

I love Harry's upside, but I do think there's legitimate speed concerns. I've been burned enough times that I have appreciate even good receivers can be NFL fodder if they don't bring speed/burst to the table. We'll see over the next 8 months. 

A committee can work, but I want at least a boss at (X) Split End. That's where you want/need your alpha receiver. We are presently without that player, despite what Anderson believers will tell you (IMO). Pryor profiles well in that role, though I don't know how much he has left. Of those players i listed above, the ones who best project to X in the NFL would be BROWN, CLAYPOOL, A. JOHNSON and WAY 

I love 12 personnel packages. That's the best offense in the NFL for my dollar. You have 1 back, your 2 wrs (x/z) and 2 tight ends; your inline Y guy, and the F/joker or "move" TE that flexes out and around. I think good NFL offenses are able to not only find mismatches more easily with this offense, but also play better ball control, which ultimately is a big determinant of your record.  

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This time last year Equanemous st brown was going to be a 1st rounder.  ?

lol I don't remember being so bold. I do like to rank players... round?, who knows anymore. I know I expected St. Brown to go a lot earlier, thats for dang sure. Never did hear why there was a slide. Lot of surprised folk, but maybe he was all internet hype. We'll see.  

On 9/5/2018 at 1:14 AM, Paradis said:

All things WR can be tracked here... There's some names below i'm going to weekly try to keep track of... 

While we are certainly in the market for that marquee #1 WR next year, given our lack of a 2nd round pick, I doubt this is the year... but we'll see. A lot can happen.

(list is likely to grow/change)

• AJ Brown (ole miss)... opened with just another day at the office, 7/95/1... he makes tough contested catches. Davante Adams of recent ilk comes to mind
  • N'Keal Harry (ASU)... Came out swinging. I'll post below
  • Deebo Samuel (s. car).. decent start to the year with nice 7/56/1 line w/ a nice 1 handed snag in the endzone
  • Anthony Johnson (Buf)... same as deebo, didn't see the game, caught a couple highlights. This guy is 2019's Corey Davis
  • Jalen Hurd (baylor)... Nice grab in the endzone on a 25 yard high throw. Looking good.
  • Chase Claypool (ND)... quiet-ish game, couple of big catches and a big special teams tackle. 

Some others that caught my eye; Curtis Johnson (texas), Tyrie Cleveland (Fla), Jamarius Way (S. 'Bama)

Collin Johnson (Texas), right?  Been on my radar for the past yr

https://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8149

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m going to add JJ Arcega Whiteside from Stanford to my wish list.  That guy has some of the strongest hands I’ve seen in a receiver in college.  Lots to like.  

He had a nice game yesterday......I wonder what he is going to run and if he is more of an Hback/TE at the next level. He's certainly big enough.

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

He had a nice game yesterday......I wonder what he is going to run and if he is more of an Hback/TE at the next level. He's certainly big enough.

He’s not a burner for sure.   But his hands and high pointing ability make him intriguing.  Plus, all Stanford receivers block well, otherwise they don’t play.  He’s not going before the 3rd round IMO.  

On 9/15/2018 at 2:05 PM, Patriot Killa said:

I’d like to put a word in for Kalija Lipscomb from Vanderbilt. He is legit.

haven't watched Vandy besides that ND game. Agreed, he stood out. 

Been a busy few weekends, haven't had as much time as I would have liked to watch some of these guys.. From what i've seen, Harry continues muddy the evaluation waters with some mixed games. Jamarius Way had down game when it counted but has bounced back with a couple of big ones. Still have a couple Texas games PV'R'd to watch C. Johnson & L.J. Humphrey. Anthony Johnson is still the wildcard IMO. 

33 minutes ago, Paradis said:

haven't watched Vandy besides that ND game. Agreed, he stood out. 

Been a busy few weekends, haven't had as much time as I would have liked to watch some of these guys.. From what i've seen, Harry continues muddy the evaluation waters with some mixed games. Jamarius Way had down game when it counted but has bounced back with a couple of big ones. Still have a couple Texas games PV'R'd to watch C. Johnson & L.J. Humphrey. Anthony Johnson is still the wildcard IMO. 

I think DJ Metcalf from Ole Miss is a star. I love AJ Brown too, as he is the top WR in the class so far but Metcalf is really good too.

This isn’t really about 2019 WRs, but now that Trevor Lawrence is the starting QB for CU now, watch what Tee Higgins and Justyn Ross start doing.   They put some packages together where both are on the field at the same time.  Those two could be the most talent WRs to come through Clemson ever.  If you like 6’5” receivers with speed, check these guys out.  

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

This isn’t really about 2019 WRs, but now that Trevor Lawrence is the starting QB for CU now, watch what Tee Higgins and Justyn Ross start doing.   They put some packages together where both are on the field at the same time.  Those two could be the most talent WRs to come through Clemson ever.  If you like 6’5” receivers with speed, check these guys out.  

I happen to really like 6'5 WRs....

Also, i'm aroused by Clemson receivers annually. 

Most talented though? That's high praise over Hopkins/Watkins/Williams. 

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

They are that big?  I really like Higgins, but I thought they were more like 6'2" and 6'4" 

29 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I happen to really like 6'5 WRs....

Also, i'm aroused by Clemson receivers annually. 

Most talented though? That's high praise over Hopkins/Watkins/Williams. 

I’m telling ya....these kids are good.  Way ahead of those other guys at this point.   We’ll see how their development goes from here, but with Lawrence at QB they’ll see a ton more action.  

Im surprised Saban let Ross get out of the state of Alabama.  Rarely does the number one player coming out of Alabama goes elsewhere.  

Some news blurbs on Anthony Johnson (who's becoming something of a Corey Davis 2.0) --

Buffalo redshirt senior WR Anthony Johnson says he'll be fine after he did not play in the second half of Saturday's game against Rutgers following a tweaked hamstring.
"Thank you, I’m good," he tweeted to a fan who wrote "Hope your hamstrings doing better." Johnson caught two passes for 101 yards and a touchdown in the first half of the 42-13 demolition of Rutgers before he hit the showers. We'll update you on his status later this week ahead of Saturday's crucial tilt with Army. Johnson is one of the five-best NFL receiving prospects in the nation. Sep 24 - 1:45 PM
Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline lists Buffalo redshirt senior WR Anthony Johnson as a player whose stock rose after his performance on Saturday.
Johnson caught the game-winning touchdown against Temple, and he finished with six receptions for 76 yards. Teams have been paying plenty of attention to Johnson to start the year, but the 6-foot-2, 210-pound wideout is a very, very difficult cover. "It must be noted that Temple has two players in their secondary graded as NFL prospects, including safety Delvon Randall, stamped as a last-day pick," writes Pauline. "Johnson’s final draft position will depend on how fast he runs the 40, but some NFL team will end up with a talented receiver next April." Sep 10 - 6:26 PM

Jets among those in attendance--

Here's a write up if he's new to you

https://tooeasysports.com/2018/09/25/anthony-johnson/

Athletic Report

J.J. ACREGA-WHITESIDE...Stanford...6:02.5-222-4.59

Release

Arcega-Whiteside knows how to use his size and arm extension to get a quick release off the snap. He shows good closing speed running under sideline throws and the quickness to get into his routes without being impeded. He has the burst needed to escape the press and uses his hands well to get a clean release. He has loose hips when changing direction and knows how to use his size and strength to let him consistently beat the jam and with his deceptive speed, he can run up a cornerback in an instant.

Whether lining out wide or inside in the slot, one thing you always see from Arcega-Whiteside is urgency off the snap. He has the upper body strength of a tight end to easily beat the jam and can do a very good job of gobbling up the cushion and pushing the cornerbacks out of their backpedal too early. He might not have that sudden explosion to keep NFL corners from mirroring him on deep routes, but he has had great success creating space for himself with his hand punch and strength. You can see his ability to rock defensive backs up on their heels and get free in an instant coming off the line of scrimmage. He has a very good understanding of what he needs to do to get off the press and into his patterns. He can threaten the deep secondary immediately, especially vs. off coverage and has no problems getting a clean release vs. the jam. He has the size and power to get back on the stem and despite his size, he is a fluid strider rather than one who takes long steps.

Acceleration

Arcega-Whiteside displays the initial burst needed to escape the press and get right into his route. He is unlike most big receivers, as he’s not a long strider, but he can gain large chunks of real estate when trying to get behind his coverage assignment or when trying to stretch the field. He has very good ability to uncover when working underneath and shows a gliding motion getting across zones, playing with excellent field awareness. He might not have breakaway speed, but it is good enough to combine with his loose hips to separate and elude.

Arcega-Whiteside is a physical type with the ability to maintain his stride through his route progression. He is hard to knock off his patterns and shows smooth body adjustments to catch the ball in stride. The thing you see on film is his explosive burst when fading into the open area, doing a nice job of tracking the ball in flight. His hand quickness and ability to quickly uncover and extend for the ball makes him virtually unstoppable vs. the smaller defenders in the short area. He is best served using his body to his advantage to box out the defender, but he does have the foot quickness to get behind his man on deep routes. It is his body adjustment skills and knack for tracking the high throws that allows him to excel on winning battles for the pass in a crowd.

Quickness

Arcega-Whiteside is a shifty runner with the foot quickness, head/shoulder fakes and juke ability to consistently get free vs. the physical press. He has good acceleration heading up field and the agility to sell the route and elude in the open field. He shows very crisp cutting agility out of his breaks. He has a sudden first step that is unusual for a big receiver. For a big receiver, it is rare to see that he is a short stepper, but he instantly gains on a defensive back. He is very elusive for a player his size and has the valid breakaway burst to ride up his opponent.

With his size, Arcega-Whiteside could be very physical in his initial step off the ball, but he also has the quickness to immediately defeat the press and is capable of exploding off the line. His burst from his get-off and long arms lets him keep defenders away from his body in attempts to reroute. He shows good stop-&-start quickness working in the flats and underneath. Few players with his long body are capable of generating the elusiveness to avoid, but he is effective breaking free down the sidelines. He shows no hip stiffness when trying to change direction and he can take a defensive back out of his cleats with his penchant for making sharp cuts, which allow him to get under the ball and catch it without breaking stride.

Route Running

Arcega-Whiteside runs crisp routes and has an array of movers and field savvy to know when he needs to use them to set up the defender. He does a very good job of varying his speeds to sell and con his coverage assignment. He can decelerate and throttle down to come back and lend support when the quarterback is pressured. His hip shake and head fakes are quite effective at keeping the defender off balance. He can sink his hips in and out of his breaks to separate and doers a fine job of finding the zone’s soft spots to settle. The thing I like about him is his ability to leverage, plant and cut. He has made steady improvement in his running stride, dropping his hips properly in his breaks while showing no wasted movements.

Separation Ability

Arcega-Whiteside has excellent field vision that gets him to quickly locate the soft areas to settle in and knows how to get skinny to slip through tight places. He might telegraph his routes at times, but he can also fool a defender with his shimmy and stop-&-go action. With his hand punch and leg drive, he will have good success breaking arm tackles at the next level (see 2017 UCLA, Oregon State, California games). He can separate from his man in one-on-one coverage, doing a nice job of generating enough explosion out of stems. He still needs to improve his slide in the open zone, as he will sometimes get too narrow when accelerating out of transition cuts. He shows awareness to uncover and makes good adjustments to get to the off-target throws.

Arcega-Whiteside has the second gear to escape or he can use his strength to get physical in attempts to separate. He has that burst along the sidelines that let him escape company on his routes, but he needs to show better hip sink on his cuts. Because of his size, he will fool a defender with his impressive hip wiggle in attempts to elude when working in a crowd. He also knows how to use his body and has a knack for finding the open spots in the zone. In man coverage, he is very adept at using his burst to separate consistently, as he shows the ability to pull away after the catch once he is in the open field.

Ball Concentration

Arcega-Whiteside has very good body control and the ability to adjust and track the football in flight. He also does a good job of adjusting to off-target throws, something he had to do often due to unsettled quarterback issue the first half of Stanford's 2017 campaigns. You hope he would get more deep ball opportunities than he has, but he demonstrates excellent hand/eye coordination throughout the route. He does a good job of tracking the ball in a crowd and is very competitive after initial contact. He does a nice job of adjusting on the move and uncovering. He also has a good feel for finding the sidelines and sticks.

Arcega-Whiteside shows very good ball skills, turning short patterns and screens into big gains vs. soft coverage. He sees and feels out the defender and uses his body adjustment skills to get to more off-target throws than you would expect. He also has a good knack to find the chains and work back to the ball. He tracks the ball well when it is in the air and has the long arms and body control to go over people to get to the ball and is doing it with regularity.

Ball Adjustment

Arcega-Whiteside has the body control to make the difficult off-target catches, especially on those thrown low or behind him. He gets his feet down properly when working along the sidelines and is very alert to the quarterback scramble, working back to the ball with urgency when the pocket is pressured. He is a big target who can’t be rerouted by a strong hand push and knows how to use his long arms to go over defenders. He tracks the ball well in flight and has the athleticism to contort his body to make the grab. With his leaping ability and size, he should be able to win most jump ball battles vs. NFL competition.

When he extends for the ball, he does so with good body control and balance to pull it in, turn and run up field. For a player his size, he has become more alert to leg tackles and that makes him more assertive trying to run through tackles rather than try to avoid. He looks more natural trying to adjust to the ball and provided the quarterback with a big target who can go up and compete for the pass. His flexibility and ability to turn to off-target passes is because of his moves and above average agility.

Leaping Ability

With his basketball bloodlines, this is a given! Arcega-Whiteside has the spring in his legs to get good elevation trying to high point the ball. He uses his large mitts and reach to go over the top of the defender to win most jump ball battles. He looks effortless utilizing his lift and rise to go up for the pass. He shows good ball adjustment skills and balance to make the tough grabs and keep his feet in bounds when working along the sidelines.

Arcega-Whiteside has the long legs and arms, combined with excellent elevation to get to the pass at its high point. He can be very explosive in his rise and shows natural hand extension to reach and pluck away from the frame. He uses his size well in man coverage attacking the high pass and seems to relish combating multiple defenders when battling for the ball while working in traffic.

Hands

Arcega-Whiteside has some of the bigger hands you will find on a receiver in this year’s draft crop (9 3/4-inch measurement), which allows him to secure the ball well. He uses his body to shield the ball from the defender and there are no issues with concentration lapses that could lead to a few drops. He is more of a natural hands catcher than one who uses his body to absorb the ball in, with his palms looking like mitts. He has very soft hands and while the level of competition he faced is top-level, he has never dropped the ball trying to secure it (fumble vs. Oregon State came after he was hit). He is a natural receiver who can make the grabs away from the body’s frame and also uses his hands with good force when blocking in-line.

Run After the Catch

Arcega-Whiteside is a shifty route runner who uses his array of moves and field vision to slip into the seams and is known for turning a short toss into a big gain (see 2017 Arizona State, Washington; 2016 Oregon games). He has the hip snap to spin off tackles and the stiff-arm power to run through defenders. He hits the holes with authority, but he lacks that blazing speed to simply pull away from his man. Still speedier cornerbacks will have problems trying to catch him from behind, as he just seems to come alive with the ball in his hands. He is elusive and strong enough to bounce off the initial tackler and has that  desire to punish his man after contact, along with valid shiftiness to elude.

Arcega-Whiteside gets good yardage with his foot work and balance, taking screens and slants without having to throttle down. He runs with good body lean, but when he gets too erect, he leaves his legs open for low tackles. He showed better cutting ability in 2017 and if given soft coverage, he can turn and head up field for big yardage. With his big frame, he will carry more than a few defenders for a couple of more yards and for a big player, he has decent hip wiggle, making him strong runner carrying the rock. When he runs at a proper pad level, he can compensate for average timed speed with his balance and strength running though defenders.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 8:46 AM, sec101row23 said:

Can’t copy the text of this mock so I’ll post the link,  but Arcega-Whiteside being mocked in the first already?  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-bills-go-nick-bosa-at-no-1-cowboys-add-nkeal-harry-to-receiver-group/

He reminds more of an Evan Engram than an actual WR at the next level. Love the player but I can't see him going anywhere near as high as this guy has him in his mock. 

56 minutes ago, RobR said:

He reminds more of an Evan Engram than an actual WR at the next level. Love the player but I can't see him going anywhere near as high as this guy has him in his mock. 

I agree.  I was thinking high 3rd at best.  Unless he runs a crazy fast 40, which I don’t think he will. 

Archived