2019 WR watch

Paradis

On 12/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, Paradis said:

Season's over... so I'll unravel my WR rankings list this week before bowl season (not that any of you are waiting in the thrall of anticipation haha) 

I promise to be bold. 

Nice!  Can’t wait.  I expect to see plenty of FCS and non-power 5 receivers on your list.  Always a deep dive into the talent pool, I enjoy your perspective.  

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easy to assume Isabella is the next "Wes Welker" slot receiver prospect, and coming from a small school made it even more of a breeze to overlook him. But this is not your "quicker than fast" slot-only wideout who'll average like eight yards per catch in the NFL. Isabella was a somewhat well-known name in the scouting community after a 65-catch, 1,020-yard, 10-score 2017, but how good was he really? Ummm ... ask the Georgia secondary. Yeah, Georgia ... as in the University of Georgia. Isabella went nutty on the Bulldogs with 15 catches for 219 yards and two long touchdowns. He also had 13 grabs for 191 yards and a touchdown against South Florida and nine receptions for -- wait for it -- 303 yards with two scores in a triple-overtime win over Liberty. And then there's this on Isabella from Jim Nagy, the new executive director of the Reese's Senior Bowl: 

The widespread talent of the 2019 receiver class could push Isabella down in the draft, but this is a top 100 pick all the way. 

On 12/8/2018 at 5:01 AM, sec101row23 said:

It's easy to assume Isabella is the next "Wes Welker" slot receiver prospect, and coming from a small school made it even more of a breeze to overlook him. But this is not your "quicker than fast" slot-only wideout who'll average like eight yards per catch in the NFL. Isabella was a somewhat well-known name in the scouting community after a 65-catch, 1,020-yard, 10-score 2017, but how good was he really? Ummm ... ask the Georgia secondary. Yeah, Georgia ... as in the University of Georgia. Isabella went nutty on the Bulldogs with 15 catches for 219 yards and two long touchdowns. He also had 13 grabs for 191 yards and a touchdown against South Florida and nine receptions for -- wait for it -- 303 yards with two scores in a triple-overtime win over Liberty. And then there's this on Isabella from Jim Nagy, the new executive director of the Reese's Senior Bowl: 

The widespread talent of the 2019 receiver class could push Isabella down in the draft, but this is a top 100 pick all the way. 

I don't know Andy yet well, so I can't speak to the praise above... but it seems the Welker comps are an annual tradition lately. Easier said than done, not sure what the intangible piece is, but the Trent Taylors, Taywan Taylors, Sheperds etc etc who all the same kind of love, have been more Cole Beasley than Welker. 

I'd take a shot on your boi renfrow if i was going down that road. He's just a gamer, don't care about the measurables. 

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't know Andy yet well, so I can't speak to the praise above... but it seems the Welker comps are an annual tradition lately. Easier said than done, not sure what the intangible piece is, but the Trent Taylors, Taywan Taylors, Sheperds etc etc who all the same kind of love, have been more Cole Beasley than Welker. 

I'd take a shot on your boi renfrow if i was going down that road. He's just a gamer, don't care about the measurables. 

If you met Hunter Renfrow in street clothes you would never think he is a football player, let alone one who is as good as he is.  I’m not sure what Hunter will be in the NFL, like you said he’s a gamer though.  He shows up makes big plays.  

Speaking of “Welker” type Clemson products, I would mind looking at Adam Humphries in free agency next year, could be productive if they get a couple guys to compliment him.  

Can't wait to really dive into this as the draft approaches. I'd love a legitimate #1 option for Darnold, just look at what Cooper has done for Prescott thus far. It's all moot though if we don't have an OL. Tough to rebuild an entire offense in one offseason. How does this WR class compare to 18' and 17' drafts? 

I have not read through this fine thread yet to see the scouting reports but I want one of two things, if not both from a WR.

Size or terrific route running.  I'm sick of seeing out WRs not get separation on short routes because they run banana patterns.  I'm more sick of seeing other teams QBs toss u 50/50 balls and the Wrs making plays whereas out guys never win a 50/50 ball.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I have not read through this fine thread yet to see the scouting reports but I want one of two things, if not both from a WR.

Size or terrific route running.  I'm sick of seeing out WRs not get separation on short routes because they run banana patterns.  I'm more sick of seeing other teams QBs toss u 50/50 balls and the Wrs making plays whereas out guys never win a 50/50 ball.

A Hakeem Butler/ Deebo Samuel combo would be the perfect combo for you.  Both guys could be attainable. 

It’s starting.  Metcalf being mocked to the Jets in top 5 already.  Hmmmmm

NYJ.png 5. New York Jets

D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss. This may prove to be too high to take Metcalf, who declared for the draft in recent weeks after his college season was cut short by injury. Still, he was one of college football's most dynamic pass catchers before he was hurt and if it's one thing Sam Darnold needs, it's a dynamic pass catcher to stretch opposing defenses. Metcalf could be special.

Colorado State redshirt junior WR Preston Williams has announced that he will enter the 2019 NFL Draft.
Williams (6'4/210) was highly productive in his lone season at Colorado State, posting a receiving line of 96-1,345-14. For his efforts the Tennessee transfer earned first team All-Mountain West honors, and now he'll turn his attention to the next level. The Draft Network cited Williams' physical tools in its breakdown, but noted that he is "not an especially polished route-runner." That being said he is considered to be one of the better draft-eligible wideouts heading into the 2019 draft. 

preston will.jpg

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s starting.  Metcalf being mocked to the Jets in top 5 already.  Hmmmmm

NYJ.png 5. New York Jets

D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss. This may prove to be too high to take Metcalf, who declared for the draft in recent weeks after his college season was cut short by injury. Still, he was one of college football's most dynamic pass catchers before he was hurt and if it's one thing Sam Darnold needs, it's a dynamic pass catcher to stretch opposing defenses. Metcalf could be special.

Lord, that Metcalf train has hit rocket status! 

2 hours ago, 19andOhWait said:
Colorado State redshirt junior WR Preston Williams has announced that he will enter the 2019 NFL Draft.
Williams (6'4/210) was highly productive in his lone season at Colorado State, posting a receiving line of 96-1,345-14. For his efforts the Tennessee transfer earned first team All-Mountain West honors, and now he'll turn his attention to the next level. The Draft Network cited Williams' physical tools in its breakdown, but noted that he is "not an especially polished route-runner." That being said he is considered to be one of the better draft-eligible wideouts heading into the 2019 draft. 

preston will.jpg

the list of 6'3+ WRs in this draft class grows by the day... It's going to be record setting from a height/weight perspective.... the "speed" factor is the big question mark for many. 

On 11/29/2018 at 10:36 AM, Paradis said:

Call me crazy, but I don't see the Macc attack burning anything from round 1-3 on WRs.... (*sigh*)... so kiss any SEC/ACC out the window. Most of the popular names will be gone..

Which is why i think we need to really take a close look at the Johnsons, Hurds, Harmons, Ways, Doss's etc. 

You're crazy.

5 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

How has nobody mentioned Parris Campbell (6’1, 210) out of Ohio State?!

Let’s not let Devin Smith prevent us from drafting buckeyes. 

He is a 4.35 guy and a legit homerun threat every time he catches the ball. 

71, 825, 10 TDs

He’s actually very similar to Devin Smith IMo.  From what I saw of him this year he’s kinda soft, and isn’t very natural when catching the ball.  He basically ran vertical routes all day.   Not very physical at all.   Hard pass for me.  

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

same, just another gangster with speed. I'll revisit him because i should, but route running and such were a concern. 

paradis - how were you on Tyreek Hill & TY Hilton pre draft? it seems like the tiny speed guys are starting to become a trend these days 

4 hours ago, 19andOhWait said:

if we're talking speed guys........ HOLLYWOODDDDDD

hollywood-brown.jpg

AB’s cousin? I’m down, he’s exactly the type of electric playmaker this team needs. I’m a little worried his frame is too small though, 160 lb is not gonna cut it at the next level. if he can get up to at least 180-185 then this kid is gonna be a really nice prospect

On 12/4/2018 at 8:28 PM, King P said:

I almost have a man crush on Kelvin Harmon. Dude reminds me so much of Michael Thomas. I want him!

Me too. I don't know why more people aren't talking about him in this thread. By the time the draft rolls around, I wouldn't be surprised if he's considered a top 10 pick.

On 12/13/2018 at 1:00 PM, cant wait said:

paradis - how were you on Tyreek Hill & TY Hilton pre draft? it seems like the tiny speed guys are starting to become a trend these days 

I never gave him Hill the time of day TBH... 9/10 of these small gadgety speedsters don't translate (Tavon Austin), so I don't burn a lot fuel on 'em... Hill is clearly the 1 in that 9/10 equation. I still didn't believe going into this year lolol... but i'll STFU now, he's a dynamic s.o.b.

Hilton I can't shed much light on, I remember thinking he had good hands and nfl speed, but I didn't have much of an opinion on him...

You managed to find like, the two biggest name WRs in the game that really didn't have a lot to offer on... *shrugs*

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

A thinner Braylon Edwards? 

Runs a bit stiff like him.

I prefer a little more wiggle in my skill players.

Well he’s 6’6”, not a lot of wiggle for guys that big.  More importantly he has a massive wingspan and is a much needed red zone target.  There’s definitely a need for guy like this on this team.  

14 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Well he’s 6’6”, not a lot of wiggle for guys that big.  More importantly he has a massive wingspan and is a much needed red zone target.  There’s definitely a need for guy like this on this team.  

I'm not a big fan of his game. He's going to run slow as sh*t.

3 hours ago, RobR said:

I'm not a big fan of his game. He's going to run slow as sh*t.

7 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I know it’s a highlight clip, but Collin Johnson is another big receiver who would look great in green.  

I feel like you were spying on me today. or watching my twitter feed lol

I'm finishing up WR rankings and was doing the deep dive on Collin today. *Gushing*

@RobR I disagree. In fact, i think you're crazy. He plays like Mike Evans, Who ran a 4.53 at the combine google tells me, and I would wager you'll get similar number from Collin. As someone who loved Evans i remember, i have no idea how youre not a fan. 

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

I feel like you were spying on me today. or watching my twitter feed lol

I'm finishing up WR rankings and was doing the deep dive on Collin today. *Gushing*

@RobR I disagree. In fact, i think you're crazy. He plays like Mike Evans, Who ran a 4.53 at the combine google tells me, and I would wager you'll get similar number from Collin. As someone who loved Evans i remember, i have no idea how youre not a fan. 

Lol...no.  What is your twitter feed?  I’d like to read it  

I was actually looking for some 2017 games for Metcalf and came across some Collin Johnson clips.   Impressive player.  

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Lol...no.  What is your twitter feed?  I’d like to read it  

I was actually looking for some 2017 games for Metcalf and came across some Collin Johnson clips.   Impressive player.  

I had a ESU/Program movie themed twitter that has morphed in a Joe Kane draft twitter account ?  ....it works, many recognize Joe Kane and i get responses from some of the more well established pundits or upcoming rookies. Think Aaron Jones still follows me.

https://twitter.com/JoeKaneFromESU

Back on topic, Collin Johnson is the man. He gets off press and separates as good as any in the draft. Natural everything once the ball is in the air. I put him and metcalf against each other, and while metcalf is more physically talented, Collin is better in traffic and playing through a DB. not by much, but it's there. I'm spoiling my (unanticipated) rankings but those are duking it out for top spot. I also didn't realize how beastly Metcalf was until i watched specifically his game footage. Wow. 

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I had a ESU/Program movie themed twitter that has morphed in a Joe Kane draft twitter account ?  ....it works, many recognize Joe Kane and i get responses from some of the more well established pundits or upcoming rookies. Think Aaron Jones still follows me.

https://twitter.com/JoeKaneFromESU

Back on topic, Collin Johnson is the man. He gets off press and separates as good as any in the draft. Natural everything once the ball is in the air. I put him and metcalf against each other, and while metcalf is more physically talented, Collin is better in traffic and playing through a DB. not by much, but it's there. I'm spoiling my (unanticipated) rankings but those are duking it out for top spot. I also didn't realize how beastly Metcalf was until i watched specifically his game footage. Wow. 

I watched Metcalf against Alabama and LSU yesterday.   Their QB Ta’amu sucks...Lol.  All that talent on offense and they were terrible.  Metcalf was getting open but they couldn’t get him the ball.  Like many many college receivers his route running is so so.  They didn’t really ask him to do too much in that offense, but his natural ability is there.  Lots to work with in the NFL.  His bloodlines are pretty impressive as well.  

57 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I watched Metcalf against Alabama and LSU yesterday.   Their QB Ta’amu sucks...Lol.  All that talent on offense and they were terrible.  Metcalf was getting open but they couldn’t get him the ball.  Like many many college receivers his route running is so so.  They didn’t really ask him to do too much in that offense, but his natural ability is there.  Lots to work with in the NFL.  His bloodlines are pretty impressive as well.  

Agreed. Lots of chuck and pray from their QB. I think the difference between him and some of those top 10s like AJ green is just that, development. He'll need some time but it's all there

What do you think about his injury history? 

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Agreed. Lots of chuck and pray from their QB. I think the difference between him and some of those top 10s like AJ green is just that, development. He'll need some time but it's all there

What do you think about his injury history? 

The neck thing is concerning but it wasn’t supposed to be too serious.  Not like Enunwa’s injury.  We’ll know when they dissect him at the combine.  He just turned 21 a week ago.  Very young.   

Collin Johnson though....wonder how high he will go?  Would be nice if he was sitting there for our 3rd round pick.  

Archived