Jets 2019 free agents, resigning speculation

Creepy Lurker

Just trying to switch gears here and talk about something different. I found a list that seems to be accurate (expect for Avery Williamson) with regards to our FAs next year. There are a lot of JAGS here but also a lot of players that will be a part of our future.

Some of those players may have really good 2018 seasons and that can make decisions tougher when it’s time to resign them. I know we have a lot of cap space but everyone expects to get paid nowadays and I’d hate to see us burn $60 million on JAGS at their peak value before we even get a chance to sign some real help on O-line or pass rush.

This is where cheap draft picks would have helped but we’ve cut so many already that we may be stuck spending more than we’d like on players that we should not have to as a result.

Who do you think are locks for resigning? What do you think they will cost or is the contract short/long term? Who else on this list would you like to keep? Just curious what everyone thinks. 

Jermaine Kearse WR NYJ UFA -
Terrelle Pryor WR NYJ UFA -
Quincy Enunwa WR NYJ UFA -
Andre Roberts WR NYJ UFA -
Robby Anderson WR NYJ RFA -
Neal Sterling TE NYJ UFA -
Eric Tomlinson TE NYJ RFA -
Doug Middleton S NYJ RFA -
Benjamin Ijalana RT NYJ UFA -
Brent Qvale RT NYJ UFA -
Bilal Powell RB NYJ UFA -
Josh McCown QB NYJ UFA -
Josh Martin OLB NYJ UFA -
Neville Hewitt OLB NYJ UFA -
Jason Myers K NYJ UFA -
        -
James Carpenter G NYJ UFA -
Dakota Dozier G NYJ UFA -
Rontez Miles FS NYJ UFA -
J.J. Wilcox FS NYJ UFA -
Steve McLendon DT NYJ UFA -
Brandon Copeland DE NYJ UFA -
Henry Anderson DE NYJ UFA -
Lawrence Thomas DE NYJ ERFA -
Morris Claiborne CB NYJ UFA -
Buster Skrine CB NYJ UFA -
Darryl Roberts CB NYJ UFA -
Jonotthan Harrison C NYJ UFA -

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

Sadly my true and honest answer is I can't pick a single player who is a lock. The closest ones to locks have concernes with either health or off the field issues that have become a reoccuring problem.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

I know you are referring to the wideouts specifically which is my concern. I would think other teams would have these concerns too. They may be open to 1 year prove it deals which would help us fisher out who to keep long term and buy Sam time so he can keep his “weapons” for year 2. I do not want to stunt his growth at all and think short term may be the way to go with Quincy and Robby before long term commitments.

It all depends on performance. Kearse will be short term but most likely get a 3-4 year deal with easy outs which Mac is good at. 

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Good topic, when people start looking at how little talent is under contract next year, they will realize that the cap space will go quickly.  LOTS of holes to be filled.  

This is why I was afraid of blockbuster FAs or Khalil Mack. Our lack of draft picks that stuck with the team from 2015-2017 is really going to hurt us. Those rookie deals are nice and cheap. Even half of the picks sticking to the roster would have helped. 

We are going to pay an extra $15-20 mill just to make up for these holes and signing/resigning competent players. Our cap space isn’t as crazy as you would think because of this. 

Hopefully these stop gap signings will be very short term so we keep having cap flexibility until we get our drafting together. 

I think they have to bring back at least 2 WRs -- just for continuity sake for Sam.  Robby is RFA so he should be affordable -- I assume he will be back unless he gets in more off field trouble.  If he shows he is healthy and makes it through the season, Enunwa should be another guy who comes back.

TE -- gotta see what happens during the season, since none are proven, but Sterling may be a guy to bring back, unless both Herndon and Leggett emerge.

OL - let em all leave.  Carp not a fit for our ZBS, the other guys are just bottom of the roster jags.  No major loss here, but still holes that need to be rplaced.

RB - Powell has beena  good Jet, but he will be over 30.  Sorry, thanks for the 8 years, but time to move on.

DL - McLendon, 33 years old.  Time to move on.  May be some young guys on the roster ready for bigger roles.  Anderson -- see how he fits in this year, could be worth bringing back.

LB - Williamson is not FA.  He is signed through 2020.  Should not be on the list.  All the other guys are reolaceable jags.

DB - Roberts -- see ya.  Hopefully young guys on the roster are ready to replace Claiborne (Jones) and Skrine (Nickerson) so both can move on.

3 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is why I was afraid of blockbuster FAs or Khalil Mack. Our lack of draft picks that stuck with the team from 2015-2017 is really going to hurt us. Those rookie deals are nice and cheap. Even half of the picks sticking to the roster would have helped. 

We are going to pay an extra $15-20 mill just to make up for these holes and signing/resigning competent players. Our cap space isn’t as crazy as you would think because of this. 

Hopefully these stop gap signings will be very short term so we keep having cap flexibility until we get our drafting together. 

All true.  Especially the Mack situation.  I’ve said it before but this is what it looks like when you whiff on two entire draft classes.  When you’re building your roster in FA instead of filling a hole or two in FA, it’s not a good situation.  Pissing away two future 1’s would have been even more of a setback.  

5 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Its going to take more tha $15 - $20MM to replace the guys. Only WR under contract next year is Charone Peake.  We are going to need to sign at least 4 WRs.  That could be $15-$20MM alone.  Before even looking to OL where we will need to replace Carp and look to upgrade other spots on the line.

We have a lot of cap space, but we are going to need a lot of cap space.  Acquiring Mack would have been a headline grabbing move that we probably would have regretted somewhere down the road.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think they have to bring back at least 2 WRs -- just for continuity sake for Sam.  Robby is RFA so he should be affordable -- I assume he will be back unless he gets in more off field trouble.  If he shows he is healthy and makes it through the season, Enunwa should be another guy who comes back.

TE -- gotta see what happens during the season, since none are proven, but Sterling may be a guy to bring back, unless both Herndon and Leggett emerge.

OL - let em all leave.  Carp not a fit for our ZBS, the other guys are just bottom of the roster jags.  No major loss here, but still holes that need to be rplaced.

RB - Powell has beena  good Jet, but he will be over 30.  Sorry, thanks for the 8 years, but time to move on.

DL - McLendon, 33 years old.  Time to move on.  May be some young guys on the roster ready for bigger roles.  Anderson -- see how he fits in this year, could be worth bringing back.

LB - Williamson is not FA.  He is signed through 2020.  Should not be on the list.  All the other guys are reolaceable jags.

DB - Roberts -- see ya.  Hopefully young guys on the roster are ready to replace Claiborne (Jones) and Skrine (Nickerson) so both can move on.

I agree with all this and I have no idea while Williamson is on the list. I stated it to try to avoid confusion. Big blunder on their part putting Williamson on this list since we signed him for 3 years. 

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Its going to take more tha $15 - $20MM to replace the guys. Only WR under contract next year is Charone Peake.  We are going to need to sign at least 4 WRs.  That could be $15-$20MM alone.  Before even looking to OL where we will need to replace Carp and look to upgrade other spots on the line.

We have a lot of cap space, but we are going to need a lot of cap space.  Acquiring Mack would have been a headline grabbing move that we probably would have regretted somewhere down the road.

I meant $15-$20 for the depth players alone that would normally be filled by draft picks. Our wideouts are a whole different ballgame and not included in that figure with my thinking. You are correct it will be even more. I was referring to all the holes that will add up at about $3mil per player that doesn’t really deserve it but they will get it. 

Players are entering the nfl season terrified that they will get hurt and have their careers ended for market value next year reduced.  It will happen in a small percentage of the cases. 

Mac needs to use his information to extend a handful of players now.  He could get burned, but hopefully in the big picture it solidifies the 2019 roster, which is the 2018 end game. 

23 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Sadly my true and honest answer is I can't pick a single player who is a lock. The closest ones to locks have concernes with either health or off the field issues that have become a reoccuring problem.

This is the sad truth and a testament to had bad of a drafting team the Jets have been.  The only one I can even think of who is deserving is Williams and I wouldnt touch a contract with him that eats up too much cap.

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Players are entering the nfl season terrified that they will get hurt and have their careers ended for market value next year reduced.  It will happen in a small percentage of the cases. 

Mac needs to use his information to extend a handful of players now.  He could get burned, but hopefully in the big picture it solidifies the 2019 roster, which is the 2018 end game. 

We are in a position to do exactly this. Some players may bite and may be worth signing early. I fear that players dream about the open market though with all these insane contracts.

Even if they  get a small piece of these mega deals, they’ll be happy so I don’t think many or any players would want to sign early for fear of injury alone. I would welcome that though. 

36 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Good topic, when people start looking at how little talent is under contract next year, they will realize that the cap space will go quickly.  LOTS of holes to be filled.  

That's one reason I liked Macc's signing of FA this year to one year "show me" deals. If they don't pan out......adios. No cap hits or dead money like the Bills who have 53 mil in dead money. If the FA's look decent then we can resign them if the price is right. And yes that's why we have so much cap space next year.

At WR, Anderson being an RFA is a small help (although still has to be sorted out sooner or later), and there's a deal going out to at least one of Enunwa or Kearse, possibly both depending on what the asking price is.  Pryor is very doubtful to stick around, as his entire move was trying to see if they could come out way ahead on ROI for a cheap contract this year.  If he has a big year, he won't be worth the price tag, especially at his age.  If he doesn't, then no reason to even bother.

I've always been a Powell fan, but he's getting up there now and with a whole crop of younger/cheaper RBs surrounding him, he's not coming back.  Along the OL, most can be let to walk without anyone batting an eye, although if Carpenter has a solid year (as he seems to be taking better to a zone scheme his second time around), he would be worth seeing if he could be brought back on the cheap, with the goal of him competing for a job, as opposed to being handed one.

On the D side, there's not much to look at short of there being a scenario where Claiborne has a similar season and is willing to take another similar deal.  Beyond that, a lot of the players listed are really backups, which would make many of them easy enough to bring back if the team wanted to do so, in order to limit the number of position they’re in need of (e.g., depth at safety and DL).

I know you are referring to the wideouts specifically which is my concern. I would think other teams would have these concerns too. They may be open to 1 year prove it deals which would help us fisher out who to keep long term and buy Sam time so he can keep his “weapons” for year 2. I do not want to stunt his growth at all and think short term may be the way to go with Quincy and Robby before long term commitments.
It all depends on performance. Kearse will be short term but most likely get a 3-4 year deal with easy outs which Mac is good at. 
It actually wasn't just the wideouts. The three players I would most like to keep though Anderson who keeps getting in trouble like clockwork every off season, enunwa has a major injury and is going to be an unknown, and Claiborne who was pretty good for us last year but has a long history of injuries. Without these three guys we will have some big holes to fill on the roster however if we are able to find a decent receiver or cb2 we might be better off in the long run.

Enunwa, Kearse, Anderson should all be re-signed if this season goes well. If Darnold keeps playing scared Anderson’s value will be down right in time for his contract year. This means we might be able to get all 3 back for about $25 Million. I’d like to see Dozier re-signed and both Shell and Beachum extended that could be another $25 million. Besides that every thing else can be filled cheaply and with young players. Jones, Nickerson, Robinson can step into bigger roles to replace Claiborne and Skrine, Roberts. 

Actually, this is awesome that we have so many free agent Jags! Which came 1st, the chicken or the egg? Would you rather look at this list & see a bunch of these guys under contract for more than they deserve?

Talk about a dress rehearsal! Do you honestly believe there is anyone on that list that we can't replace? And the guys we MIGHT resign have baggage other teams know about. 

Enunwa- Neck injuries are nothing to sneeze at. Anderson- See Martavious Bryant.Then you have McClendon? Old & we have Shepard & Foley. Skrine? Nickerson. Clairborne? Bones Jones. Powell? Taye/McGuire. 

We can replace Carpenter with a free agent or draft a guard. Pryor? You can always find guys like him teetering between teams. Middleton? We have plenty of Safeties. Sterling? We have Herndon & Leggett, but does anyone here think it'll be tough to resign him if we want to?

Jets are in a great place, a bunch of question marks that would be lucky to catch on with another team, which means Macc can offer SANE contracts, the player/agent have to weigh the odds of getting that same or more somewhere else or take the security of staying where you know your wanted. There is no player on that list that deserves to be overpaid...none! I would think we have a lot of players that better play all out in 2018. A lot of these guys are hanging onto their dreams of sticking in this league or sliding back into the real world of a real job & that ain't as an NFL player.

Anderson will be back as a RFA. I’d love to see them work out a deal with Kearse now, and make re-signing Enuwa a priority once he proves he is healthy and can withstand a full season.

Otherwise? Claiborne would be nice to bring back. I like Powell and older RBs don’t get paid, so I could see him returning. The rest can walk.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Actually, this is awesome that we have so many free agent Jags! Which came 1st, the chicken or the egg? Would you rather look at this list & see a bunch of these guys under contract for more than they deserve?

Talk about a dress rehearsal! Do you honestly believe there is anyone on that list that we can't replace? And the guys we MIGHT resign have baggage other teams know about. 

Enunwa- Neck injuries are nothing to sneeze at. Anderson- See Martavious Bryant.Then you have McClendon? Old & we have Shepard & Foley. Skrine? Nickerson. Clairborne? Bones Jones. Powell? Taye/McGuire. 

We can replace Carpenter with a free agent or draft a guard. Pryor? You can always find guys like him teetering between teams. Middleton? We have plenty of Safeties. Sterling? We have Herndon & Leggett, but does anyone here think it'll be tough to resign him if we want to?

Jets are in a great place, a bunch of question marks that would be lucky to catch on with another team, which means Macc can offer SANE contracts, the player/agent have to weigh the odds of getting that same or more somewhere else or take the security of staying where you know your wanted. There is no player on that list that deserves to be overpaid...none! I would think we have a lot of players that better play all out in 2018. A lot of these guys are hanging onto their dreams of sticking in this league or sliding back into the real world of a real job & that ain't as an NFL player.

Mac is going to have his hands full this offseason and may miss out on new high end free agents since he will be spending time with his own. I really hope he has help with this. 

21 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I'd try and keep Enunwa, Robbie & Dozier. Young, capable guys with upside.

If Henry Anderson shows well this year, wouldn't mind keeping him either.

And no team is breaking the bank for those 4 guys. Everything will be OK.

4 hours ago, Lith said:

so much depends on what happens this season.  agree on the wrs.  i can see hewitt and martin coming back.  i'd bet a number of the oline guys get re-signed.  te could see some changes with sterling staying over tomlinson.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

so much depends on what happens this season.  agree on the wrs.  i can see hewitt and martin coming back.  i'd bet a number of the oline guys get re-signed.  te could see some changes with sterling staying over tomlinson.

I agree.  A lot could change over the course of this season.  A guy who looks like a bottom of the roster guy could emerge.  Will Terrelle Pryor by the 2016 or 2017 version.  Will we still be optimistic about DBs like Robinson, Jones and Skrine.  Was just providing my opinion as of now.  A lot could change by the end of the season.

Archived