TRADE dept. : WORST Trade for every NFL team... the WORST trade for the jets ? ? ?

kelly

10 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Thanks. I. Know as jet fans we are so use to throwing away 2nd round picks, but for rest of nfl 2nd founders are very valuable. 

No, they are valuable picks.   At the time, giving up just 1 second rounder to move that far up in the draft I didn't think was a bad trade.

How about trading away Pro-Bowl wide receiver Rob Moore for a first round pick in 1995, which was used to draft Hugh Douglas, who a few years later was stupidly traded away for second and fifth round picks by Bill Parcells. Douglas racked up 80 sacks in his career and went to multiple Pro-Bowls for the Eagles.

Bill Parcells was a great field coach, but he was a disaster as Jets GM and his personnel decisions, both in the front office and the roster, and his continued influence over Woody Johnson have had a negative impact on the Jets for two decades.

• Sympathy 1

Rich Cimini         ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets should leave Le'Veon Bell to his jet skiing. A trade for the disgruntled star makes little sense, especially since he could be a one-year rental — a ridiculously expensive rental. They'd be better served by rolling that $11 million into next year's cap. Bell could help a win-now team; the Jets aren't a win-now team. The called the Steelers out of due diligence, always looking for a fire sale. If they can get him for a fifth-round pick, sure, they'd be interested. But a third rounder ? They won't give up that much. Plus, if Bell doesn't want to play for the Steelers on the franchise tag, why would he want to play for the Jets ? The more likely scenario is them making a run at him in March as a free agent, but even that avenue would come with risk. He's a "me" player with a lot of miles on his odometer — not worth a mega contract.

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

1 hour ago, kelly said:

Plus, if Bell doesn't want to play for the Steelers on the franchise tag, why would he want to play for the Jets ?

He grew up a Jets fan and his father has been a lifelong Jets fan. Not that that guarantees anything, but I think if the Jets are close money wise he would sign. Big risk though, and not sure if it is worth it unless Steelers are willing to take a third rounder or less, plus a player for him.

1 minute ago, Ex-Rex said:

He grew up a Jets fan and his father has been a lifelong Jets fan. Not that that guarantees anything, but I think if the Jets are close money wise he would sign. Big risk though, and not sure if it is worth it unless Steelers are willing to take a third rounder or less, plus a player for him.

Rich Cimini  ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets should leave Le'Veon Bell to his jet skiing. A trade for the disgruntled star makes little sense, especially since he could be a one-year rental — a ridiculously expensive rental. They'd be better served by rolling that $11 million into next year's cap. Bell could help a win-now team; the Jets aren't a win-now team. The called the Steelers out of due diligence, always looking for a fire sale. If they can get him for a fifth-round pick, sure, they'd be interested. But a third rounder? They won't give up that much. Plus, if Bell doesn't want to play for the Steelers on the franchise tag, why would he want to play for the Jets? The more likely scenario is them making a run at him in March as a free agent, but even that avenue would come with risk. He's a "me" player with a lot of miles on his odometer — not worth a mega contract.

>  http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

On 9/9/2018 at 9:24 AM, CanadaSteve said:

Say what you want about the genius of Parcells, but the man flat out STUNK at drafting.

yes and no.  he did draft chad, ellis and abraham.  not such bad players.  he also drafted thomas, fabini, ferguson, young, coles and leon johnson. so in 4 years he drafted 9 bona fide starters.

On 9/18/2018 at 12:33 PM, BroadwayRay said:

How about trading away Pro-Bowl wide receiver Rob Moore for a first round pick in 1995, which was used to draft Hugh Douglas, who a few years later was stupidly traded away for second and fifth round picks by Bill Parcells. Douglas racked up 80 sacks in his career and went to multiple Pro-Bowls for the Eagles.

Bill Parcells was a great field coach, but he was a disaster as Jets GM and his personnel decisions, both in the front office and the roster, and his continued influence over Woody Johnson have had a negative impact on the Jets for two decades.

Jets took Moore in the supplemental draft in the 1st round, forfeiting the #1 the next season; the Favre draft. GM Dick Steinberg and Asst. GM Ron Wolf managed get back into things, but Falcons took Favre in front of the Jets, Jets settled on Nagle. Wolf get the Packers GM the next season and picks Jerry Glanville's pocket for Favre, who like partying in Atlanta a bit too much for the Falcons. Lots of odd history, most of it bad. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/9/2018 at 11:16 PM, Jetsplayer21 said:

Thanks. I. Know as jet fans we are so use to throwing away 2nd round picks, but for rest of nfl 2nd founders are very valuable. 

I think it's safe to say that you're not winning your argument. I haven't seen anyone here agree that it was a bad deal for the Jets. It was, as Beerfish already noted, an outstanding deal for the Jets. The question remains whether the real problem was that the Jets tried to force Sanchez onto the field too quickly and crippled his career. We'll never know for sure, but I'd wager he would have been a much more solid QB if he had been given at least a year to get his feet on the ground. He had all of 16 games at USC.

• Haha 1

I think it's safe to say that you're not winning your argument. I haven't seen anyone here agree that it was a bad deal for the Jets. It was, as Beerfish already noted, an outstanding deal for the Jets. The question remains whether the real problem was that the Jets tried to force Sanchez onto the field too quickly and crippled his career. We'll never know for sure, but I'd wager he would have been a much more solid QB if he had been given at least a year to get his feet on the ground. He had all of 16 games at USC.
Sanchez's biggest flaw is that we let all his weapons leave and did not replace them. The team litterally crumbled around him and instead of fixing it we just pointed fingers and said Geno Smith and Tim Tebow are the answer.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Sanchez's biggest flaw is that we let all his weapons leave and did not replace them. The team litterally crumbled around him and instead of fixing it we just pointed fingers and said Geno Smith and Tim Tebow are the answer.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

gm's  matter   ?