Out of curiosity - Are there any vegans on here?

TuscanyTile2

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I switched to filet of fish , fries and a shake. gave up the QPs . 

Lol, I really don't consider myself to be such a healthy eater, but I am happy to report that I gave up fast food years before I gave up meat. Giving up diner burgers was a lot harder than giving up McDonald's. 

16 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, I really don't consider myself to be such a healthy eater, but I am happy to report that I gave up fast food years before I gave up meat. Giving up diner burgers was a lot harder than giving up McDonald's. 

Me too.. I eat fairly well.  Momentary lapses of course ... I’m chewing on celery as I watch golf. 

For a year or two I've been kicking around the idea of going to a pescatarian diet, ever since @slats and a couple of other people were talking about it in another thread a while back. It sounds like something I could do if I put a little effort into it. 

Veganism seems like quite a stretch to me personally, but hey, if it works for you and you feel good on it more power to you. I've had a few very tasty vegan dishes in my day, so it's not hard to imagine making a lifestyle out of it. 

On 9/7/2018 at 2:48 PM, HessStation said:

Humans are all gonna have to start, eventually. That or something wipes out half the population at some point. 

We need to start going cannibal.

I mean, seriously. It solves both world hunger AND overpopulation. It's so obvious!

8 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

We need to start going cannibal.

I mean, seriously. It solves both world hunger AND overpopulation. It's so obvious!

I once saw two charity commercials in a row. The first one showed the horrible plight of children in underdeveloped countries who face starvation in their day to day life in 2017. The next commercial was for the overabundance of animals in shelters.

I turned to my wife and said, "Its like the problem is trying to solve itself ". 

I didnt get any that night.

14 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I once saw two charity commercials in a row. The first one showed the horrible plight of children in underdeveloped countries who face starvation in their day to day life in 2017. The next commercial was for the overabundance of animals in shelters.

I turned to my wife and said, "Its like the problem is trying to solve itself ". 

I didnt get any that night.

Not quite.  The food we use to feed animals could feed the entire world.  As for why we have so many animals, that's completely artificial.  These animals are bred into existence to meet the demand for meat.  In other words, if people didn't eat meat (or radically cut down), it would be much easier to feed the world w/ the grain that is instead fed to animals.

Screenshot_2018-04-20-16-02-31-1.png

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not quite.  The food we use to feed animals could feed the entire world.  As for why we have so many animals, that's completely artificial.  These animals are bred into existence to meet the demand for meat.  In other words, if people didn't eat meat (or radically cut down), it would be much easier to feed the world w/ the grain that is instead fed to animals.

I guess satirical humor (in bad taste....no pun intended) needs to be indicated? 

45 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Screenshot_2018-04-20-16-02-31-1.png

I guess satirical humor (in bad taste....no pun intended) needs to be indicated? 

Humor is always fine by me (especially if it's funny!)  I don't think I saw this movie if it's a movie reference.  If it's just a meme you created then it's a so-so joke imo.  (I'm not offended or anything like that.  I think I've made similar jokes in the past).  I'm not trying to browbeat people here.  Just trying to give info to those who are willing to hear it.

On 9/9/2018 at 10:42 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Huge environmental impact is the bigger concern imo

A family member of mine is a vegan and a huge animal rights activist.  He also designs vegan fair trade shoes, clothes, and accessories.  He's won a few awards in that community.

As CTM says, the environmental impact of meat is far greater than of cars and other sources of greenhouse gases.  And yes, we could feed the whole world, easily, with the food we use for animals.

4 hours ago, TeddEY said:

A family member of mine is a vegan and a huge animal rights activist.  He also designs vegan fair trade shoes, clothes, and accessories.  He's won a few awards in that community.

As CTM says, the environmental impact of meat is far greater than of cars and other sources of greenhouse gases.  And yes, we could feed the whole world, easily, with the food we use for animals.

Oh nice, in NYC? Does he do any retail? 

On 9/10/2018 at 12:42 PM, CTM said:

Huge environmental impact is the bigger concern imo

With all due respect, I feel like that's a selfish reason.  I mean, whatever the reason, if people are kinder to animals I think it's a good thing.  I just think if we show sympathy to animals, there are positive side effects (e.g. the environment).

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

With all due respect, I feel like that's a selfish reason.  I mean, whatever the reason, if people are kinder to animals I think it's a good thing.  I just think if we show sympathy to animals, there are positive side effects (e.g. the environment).

Being concerned with the state of the planet we leave for  future generations is selfish?  Maybe my environmental concerns have positive side effects on animal welfare 

Being a vegan today results in carnage for all kinds of little critters. The reality is that its exceedingly difficult if not impossible to live a life with no impact on others beings. It's just the way the nature works (although humans have largely perverted the system) Taking steps to minimize your impact is commendable regardless of the reason. Respectfully, putting it to some kind of purity test is childish and counter productive. It turns people off completely which has been a problem in the vegan community for decades. Dont let perfect be the enemy of good.

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Being concerned with the state of the planet we leave for  future generations is selfish?  Maybe, my environmental concerns have posituve side effects on animal welfare 

Being a vegan today results in carnage for all kinds of little critters. The reality is that its exceedingly difficult if not impossible to live a life with no impact on others beings. It's just the way the nature works (although humans have largely perverted the system) Taking steps to minimize your impact is commendable regardless of the reason. Respectfully, putting it to some kind of purity test is childish and counter productive. It turns people off completely which has been a problem in the vegan community for decades. Dont let perfect be the enemy of good.

Fully agreed but the idea is to try to minimize harm as much as can reasonably be done. Also fully agreed on "don't let perfect be the enemy of the good".  Some people argue "but you can't eliminate all harm" and use that as a basis for essentially saying "so why bother taking any steps".  We are completely on the same page here.  As far as the purity test thing, we are both in agreement that positive actions are good regardless of the reason.  

Archived