Out of curiosity - Are there any vegans on here?

TuscanyTile2

On 9/7/2018 at 6:08 PM, slats said:

I've been eating a pescatarian diet for 25 years or so. My kids eat similarly. My son's girlfriend is vegan, that's a struggle. 

How do you handle cooking in bulk for the family with respect to proteins? Do you just not cook more than 2-3 days-worth of food at a time? I cycle in and out of pescatarian every few weeks and my main problem is that I like to cook food for the next 3-4 days at a time and that doesn't work to well with fish.

5 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I've been vegan for over four years. There are so many plant-based meat and cheese substitutes now, it's not as hard to get into as it used to be. Even White Castle has vegan burgers.

Nice!  Glad I'm not the only one! 

I was unaware about White Castle.  I will have to check that out.  I'm in complete agreement that there are many really good substitutes nowadays.  I definitely think there's a swell of support for this lately btw.  Melt Shop in NYC just introduced a vegan sandwich and Banana Republic sent email with subject "vegan suede is in for fall".  Whole Foods has been selling Beyond Meat products and Van Leeuwens sells (absolutely amazing!) vegan ice cream.  

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Nice!  Glad I'm not the only one! 

I was unaware about White Castle.  I will have to check that out.  I'm in complete agreement that there are many really good substitutes nowadays.  I definitely think there's a swell of support for this lately btw.  Melt Shop in NYC just introduced a vegan sandwich and Banana Republic sent email with subject "vegan suede is in for fall".  Whole Foods has been selling Beyond Meat products and Van Leeuwens sells (absolutely amazing!) vegan ice cream.  

NYC area is full of places. Check out the Cinnamon Snail at the food court at Penn Station/Madison Square Garden, and Screamers Pizza and Champs Deli in Brooklyn. 

32 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

NYC area is full of places. Check out the Cinnamon Snail at the food court at Penn Station/Madison Square Garden, and Screamers Pizza and Champs Deli in Brooklyn. 

I had heard of Champs (but still haven't been there).  I will check those others out.  I haven't had good vegan pizza yet so I'm definitely interested to try Screamers.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Archived