MAHOMES II

RJIII

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, tfine said:

Watson was good last season then stunk it up today.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm on the "I told you so" also.

I wrote that I was disgusted that Maccagnan didn't have the guts to grab Mahomes at 6 and instead of course went for the safe consensus pick that doesn't even play a game-changing positions, and took a lot of flack from other posters.  Mahomes has an other worldly skill-set whose Ceiling is the Moon and Floor is still going to scare the hell out of every single D-back every week on the opposing side.

Now I'm going to make another predication.  Mahomes will torch the league in the same way Dan Marino stepped in and did.

I'm extremely glad we lucked into Darnold, but I would have rather had Mahomes and 3 #2's, although the point might very well be moot as those 2 might be in the Top 5 of QB's for a long, long time.

But don't take this post as a ding against Darnold at all, but one against Maccagnan.

As far as Watson goes.  Lot of tape on him now....weak arm, not a good combination...studied tape + weak arm, and I was glad Maccagnan didn't take him.

9 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Actually tried to watch as much of this game as I could. Came away somewhat underwhelmed. No doubt the guy can throw it out of the stadium, and he had some good throws, but he locked in on his first read a lot and wasn’t able to throw anything other than fastballs. 

Andy Reid is the most underrated coach in the nfl because of his postseason struggles, and the team around Pat is absolutelrder and trurn it into 60+y stacked, so it inflated his stats and makes him look good. Smart of Andy and Pat to get the ball out quickly to his guys and let them work. 

Let’s see how he progresses instead of anointing him after 1 game.

It also helps to have a wideout like Hill who can catch a 5 yarder and turn it into 60+

3 hours ago, Jetmech said:

Was it three of them?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, jack48 said:

It also helps to have a wideout like Hill who can catch a 5 yarder and turn it into 60+

He threw a nice long pass on another td play but the guy was open by 5-10 yds

his shorter throws weren’t thrown with touch and were sometimes not welll placed-receivers had to stop or adjust routes

1 minute ago, Bowles Movement said:

He threw a nice long pass on another td play but the guy was open by 5-10 yds

his shorter throws weren’t thrown with touch and were sometimes not welll placed-receivers had to stop or adjust routes

In college he seemed like a guy who zipped it.  Haven't seen him much, but I have not seen touch---yet.

12 hours ago, prime21 said:

You told us that he would have a good 1st game?

Relax Mahomes “ i told you so people”. Wait a couple of seasons for a true assessment. He did look very promising today though.

Watson “I told you so’s” are quiet today.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

jimmy g had a 3 pick game too.  i guess there goes his won-loss record.

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I'm on the "I told you so" also.

I wrote that I was disgusted that Maccagnan didn't have the guts to grab Mahomes at 6 and instead of course went for the safe consensus pick that doesn't even play a game-changing positions, and took a lot of flack from other posters.  Mahomes has an other worldly skill-set whose Ceiling is the Moon and Floor is still going to scare the hell out of every single D-back every week on the opposing side.

Now I'm going to make another predication.  Mahomes will torch the league in the same way Dan Marino stepped in and did.

I'm extremely glad we lucked into Darnold, but I would have rather had Mahomes and 3 #2's, although the point might very well be moot as those 2 might be in the Top 5 of QB's for a long, long time.

But don't take this post as a ding against Darnold at all, but one against Maccagnan.

As far as Watson goes.  Lot of tape on him now....weak arm, not a good combination...studied tape + weak arm, and I was glad Maccagnan didn't take him.

Watson ate the Pats up last year. Give Bill Belichick tape & look at yesterday. BB rushed to keep him in the pocket, forced him to make tight window throws & he was terrible. He overthrew like 4 seam passes when his WR had a good yard on the defender & he wasn't even close. 

Mahomes would have been the right pick in 2017 and it was a huge risk waiting until 2018 to take a QB since it seems like Mac decided that he liked that draft class better.

However, we absolutely struck gold and there is something about Sam that just seems special. Despite how incompetent our team is, he will rise above. HE will attract the right coaching and GM candidates. Mahomes went into a great place. Sam is marching into hell, where QBs go to die and he’s as calm as anything.

I’m sorry but screw Mahomes. I’d take Sam over him any day of the week. Let’s revisit this conversation after 3 years and after we properly surround Sam with offensive talent. 

Personally, I wish we had drafted Peterman. That way Bowles and Mac would have been fired in week 2. No small wonder why they never played Hack. Ravens embarrassed the Bills yesterday. You can’t even imagine what the score would have been had Hack played a full game as a Jet against a formidable defense. Mahomes looked incredibly comfortable slinging the ball all over the place. He’s built for today’s NFL’s pass happy mode. But we have Darnold! Be true to thine own QB!

It always amazes me how these out-of-nowhere QB's who go high in the draft have a good game and we start getting "I told you so!"

I remember MANY people on this board saying "I will have no problem saying I told you so when Paxton Lynch lights it up for Denver."  And then, that didn't happen. 

And there are about 10 QB's that would have happened with, if they weren't bagging groceries somewhere. 

Did he have a good game?  You bet.  I'm sure it doesn't hurt having one of the better OL's in the league, a fantastic running game, two killer WR's and one of the top TE's in the game.  But would Mahomes have looked that good had he been behind our current OL and our offensive weapons?  Probably not.

He could be great....he could also be Browning Nagle first game great.  Time will tell.

For the "it's only one game" crowd, Mahomes bas been lighting it up in preseason and reports are he was incredible in practice.  He also played really well against a really good Denver defense in the final game of the regular season last year.  For goodness sake ANDY F*CKING REID traded away his pro-bowl one time MVP candidate QB who he hand pick to come with him to KC, just to clear the way for Mahomes to play.  So please spare us with the Browning Nagle and Paxton Lynch comparisons.  There's always a possibility that Mahomes does not pan out; if that were to happen, I think it's safe to predict that it won't be because he lacks the talent.  I'm ecstatic that we ended up with Darnold but still would have preferred Mahomes because of his arm and we play in the northeast.  Even if one were to believe that Darnold is a better QB than Mahomes, there is no way he is 3 2nd round picks better. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Watson ate the Pats up last year. Give Bill Belichick tape & look at yesterday. BB rushed to keep him in the pocket, forced him to make tight window throws & he was terrible. He overthrew like 4 seam passes when his WR had a good yard on the defender & he wasn't even close. 

I think he was missing Fuller. 

Darnold is 100x better than Mahomes and Watson

Watson is what he is, he’ll be a bottom third qb in the league for a long time.  He’ll have a A. Dalton type career, just a different type of player.  Just doesn’t have the arm talent to be a top end qb

Now Mahomes could be great, but he absolutely needed to go to a guy like Reid, if he came here he wouldn’t have a shot to succeed 

18 hours ago, prime21 said:

You told us that he would have a good 1st game?

Relax Mahomes “ i told you so people”. Wait a couple of seasons for a true assessment. He did look very promising today though.

Watson “I told you so’s” are quiet today.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I watched Watson closely yesterday.  He is going to be one of those players who gets injured, sometimes seriously, every freaking year.  He is reckless.  I'd much rather have Mahomes than Watson.  Not a doubt in my mind.

3 hours ago, legler82 said:

For the "it's only one game" crowd, Mahomes bas been lighting it up in preseason and reports are he was incredible in practice.  

Yippty friggin do....he played well against McDonald's employee's and his own teammates.

Maybe Mahomes will be good.  Come and talk to me when he puts up back-to-back-to-back 3,500 yards 20+ TD seasons and Kansas City wins some playoff games.  Until then, yeah...its only one game

4 hours ago, legler82 said:

For the "it's only one game" crowd, Mahomes bas been lighting it up in preseason and reports are he was incredible in practice.

He was throwing INTs by the boatload early in camp.

Preseason he was up  and down.  Nothing bad or great.  Incredible nowhere

6 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Mahomes would have been the right pick in 2017 and it was a huge risk waiting until 2018 to take a QB since it seems like Mac decided that he liked that draft class better.

However, we absolutely struck gold and there is something about Sam that just seems special. Despite how incompetent our team is, he will rise above. HE will attract the right coaching and GM candidates. Mahomes went into a great place. Sam is marching into hell, where QBs go to die and he’s as calm as anything.

I’m sorry but screw Mahomes. I’d take Sam over him any day of the week. Let’s revisit this conversation after 3 years and after we properly surround Sam with offensive talent. 

Over the last 2 years the Jets were not making decisions assuming that Bowles was getting replaced.

Mahomes could be a great QB in the NFL, but he was not go to work with Bowles.  He is not Bowles style.  Andy Reid was the perfect coach for Mahomes.  

I believe Mac and Bowles were also spooked over Watson's arm.  

If Adams was mild-mannered/reserved he was not getting picked at 6.  At 6 last year the Jets picked a personality and culture changer as much as a player.  They were not going Lattimore there for whatever reason, which could be Milliner.  

I think it's important to note that Mahomes ultimately being successful in KC doesn't at all ensure he would have been successful here. Andy Reid gets the most out of every QB he coaches, and that team is loaded with talent. He walked into a perfect situation.

If we missed out on a 2017 QB it was Watson, IMO, but Darnold might be better than either. Only time will tell.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Remember Marcus Mariota's first game in the NFL?

13/15, 209, 4 TD's. 

It amazes me after every season people still go crazy over week 1.  Week 1 is basically a preseason game, just the starters play the whole game.

Not gonna go crazy over Mahomes yet but the rationale the organization had taking a safety over a QB at 6 last year with the state of the position was beyond asinine. 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not gonna go crazy over Mahomes yet but the rationale the organization had taking a safety over a QB at 6 last year with the state of the position was beyond asinine. 

True and technically, that was Mahomes 2nd game but yeah, I was beating the table for Watson so you're preaching to the choir. 

Just hoping the Jets got lucky for once and the mistake of taking a box safety at 6 and the combo of the Browns taking Mayfield, somehow helped us get the better QB of the past few classes.

Archived