# Jets vs Lions -- Season Opener on MNF --- The Official Game Thread #

Maxman

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

Someone PM me a link.  I am technologically declined.  I can’t find anything on REDDIT. 

just google reddit NFLstreams - they will have a thread for each of tonight's games. The post at the top has the most points, so it will probably be the best link. 

All depends if the NFL has given the referring crew the” wink wink” to keep the baby boy of the league all clean and sparkly . 

Wouldn’t that be nice? To have the league protected golden boy??
This is exciting to finally be watching a legit young QB with premier potential.

I haven’t felt this way since Pennington was head butting everyone in the huddle! But even better.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Wouldn’t that be nice? To have the league protected golden boy??
This is exciting to finally be watching a legit young QB with premier potential.

I haven’t felt this way since Pennington was head butting everyone in the huddle! But even better.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

NO I want our franchise QB to be THAT GOOD that he doesn't need any preferential treatment from anyone and certainly doesn't need to cheat to win. 

By ANDY BENOIT

September 10, 2018

JETS AT LIONS

7:10 p.m. ET

1. To get rookie quarterback Sam Darnold comfortable, Jets offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates must move the pocket by design. Rollouts and bootlegs get Darnold using his legs outside the pocket, where he was highly effective as a runner and especially as a thrower at USC. Those out-of-pocket designs also slice the field in half, which gives the young QB less to read. And best of all, they come on first and second down, when a defense, honoring the run, is more predictable.

2. With the Patriots last season, Matt Patricia rushed three and dropped eight into coverage more than any other defensive coordinator last season. Expect that against Darnold; the more bodies in coverage, the more a quarterback has to decipher. Zone is especially strong in eight-man coverages against young QBs, as it creates blurrier looks than man-to-man. 

3. Some were surprised when second-year Lions wideout Kenny Golladay supplanted Golden Tate in the two-receiver packages this preseason. But to football people the surprised would have been if he didn’t. Golladay has the size-speed combination of a true No. 1 receiver. His unofficial over/under on receiving yards this season: 1,150. The Jets should consider traveling expensive new man coverage corner Trumaine Johnson with Golladay.

Bold Prediction: An improved Lions pass D and presumably dink-and-dunk Jets passing game will keep Darnold under 180 yards in his NFL debut. Lions 24, Jets 16

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/09/10/week-one-monday-niight-football-preview-jets-lions-rams-raiders

I think Sam can handle a hard pass rush with not too many rookie mistakes. I mean look you saw Aaron Rodgers toss one right to a DB in the last 2 minutes last night which should have lost them the game (and the DB dropped it right to him) so it could and will happen to any Qb the question is how often. Based on his USC career I saw him make mistakes but come back and win games in the 4th quarter. I think with Sam it's going to be 60 minute games. Probably this season low scoring ones. But if he can keep the D off of the field consistently we have a good chance. On paper it's a mismatch of Qbs because Stafford is a proven good franchise Qb. But it could be a closer than that in terms of talent. We win by 3.

So I got my 1st sign tonights game was going to be the beginning of something special. I live in Manchester NH & I was driving back to my house when lo & behold, right there in front of me staring me in the eyes was a CTS Cadillac with the NH license plate J-E-T-S ! 

I've lived here for years & have never seen a Jet sticker, plate, a Jets shirt on anyone since I've been here. In fact my friends believe I'm the only Jet fan that exists here. Pretty funny, I had Sirius NFL radio on, trying to get any info I can & theres that plate right in front of me. I'm telling you guys, the 50 year curse is over & there are signs everywhere this Sam kid is the next coming. You just have to look for them. 

How else does a QB who has been pegged as the #1 guy for 8 months drop to the Jets at 3? How the hell does Indy not wait a bit B4 trading with us for that 3rd pick? How the hell do the Giants not entertain that 3rd pick to the Bills? Miami? Arizona? or any other QB deficient team while their QB turns 37 years old? Or how the hell do the Giants take a RB over a franchise QB? Jets were never lucky! The year they started 10-1 everyone got hurt & they lost 5 in a row! The Mud bowl! The Denver wind GUST! Doug Brien! tons of 1st round busts! years of 2nd round flops! 

Namath looks GREAT! Hell, I think he'd have a chance with Suzy sober, Bowles has been SMILING, Bates came out of the forest for this moment, the guy that taught Terrell Davis where to run is here, Enunwas neck miraculously fused, Anderson is not in jail, we have 4 TEs, Tru said "sure I'll play for the Jets", the entire earth has tipped its axis. 

God, I can't wait for tonight. Hell Larry David will be watching & sitting at home tonight when darnold throws his 1st TD, I could just hear him saying, " I think this Darnold kid is gonna be pretty, pretty, pretty..good". 

Go Jets!

Not worried about our run defense but it seems likely to me that we might fall into the same hole that the Bears did last night where a determined chucker of the ball will simply tire out the pass rush (heh) and secondary.

Very interested to see what Nathan Shepherd can do against first team opposition in a real game.

I've been lurking here for a while and finally made a profile after some goolging of players numbers (lol).  I became a jets fan after realizing how affordable jets tickets are last year.  The only Jets game I have seen was our upset against the jaguars last year.  That was a great game won in over time thanks to great field position, a good punt return, and a handy penalty in our favor.  Now I am excited to see what Darnold can do.  I think that even if our team is not well rounded enough to put us into the playoffs consistently we can enjoy being jets fans much more thanks to watching the work of Darnold.  If Darnold does not flop then it will always be fun to be a Jets fan no matter the outcome.  J E T S Jets Jets Jets

Just now, mbajohn1990 said:

I've been lurking here for a while and finally made after some goolging of players numbers (lol).  I became a jets fan after realizing how affordable jets tickets are last year.  The only Jets game I have seen was our upset against the jaguars last year.  That was a great game won in over time thanks to great field position, a good punt return, and a handy penalty in our favor.  Now I am excited to see what Darnold can do.  I think that even if our team is not well rounded enough to put us into the playoffs consistently we can enjoy being jets fans much more thanks to watching the work of Darnold.  If Darnold does not flop then there will always be fun to be a Jets fan no matter the outcome.  J E T S Jets Jets Jets

It is almost never fun to be a Jets fan but we are cursed here on this site to have the same shared affliction.

Very few games in my memory can rise to the level of sheer unadulterated enjoyment.  One was the playoff win up in Foxboro a few years ago and before that there was a 41-0 glorious thrashing of the Colts in a wild card game.

Good to have you on board but veteran posters around here have learned to be cautiously optimistic and cover their nuts. 

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

It is almost never fun to be a Jets fan but we are cursed here on this site to have the same shared affliction.

Very few games in my memory can rise to the level of sheer unadulterated enjoyment.  One was the playoff win up in Foxboro a few years ago and before that there was a 41-0 glorious thrashing of the Colts in a wild card game.

Good to have you on board but veteran posters around here have learned to be cautiously optimistic and cover their nuts. 

I have been a fan since the early 80s, I've seen all the good and bad and I am 100% convinced we are headed to an era of greatness.  I'm all in, I'm not waiting for the injury to Sam like Namath and Pennington or for anything else to go wrong.  This is the beginning of the era where we win a super bowl. 

19 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I have been a fan since the early 80s, I've seen all the good and bad and I am 100% convinced we are headed to an era of greatness.  I'm all in, I'm not waiting for the injury to Sam like Namath and Pennington or for anything else to go wrong.  This is the beginning of the era where we win a super bowl. 

Dear god, the JN universe may have just exploded. I actually enjoyed and agreed with something you've posted for the first time ever.

17 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Even Namath likes Darnold. Remember Joe trying to offer tips to Sanchez? Joe Namath knows a winner when he sees one. Sam is a winner & a quiet leader which is the BEST, a follow me kind of performer. Those are the guys that players believe in when they step into the huddle & say "lets win this thing".

18 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I hear you.  I came to NY in the early 80's from the UK so we have been following the same team for the same amount of time.   Right now i would settle for confirmation that we are on an upward trajectory and I believe that we will be.

But i am also ready to cover my nuts.

Just now, Jetster said:

Even Namath likes Darnold. Remember Joe trying to offer tips to Sanchez? Joe Namath knows a winner when he sees one. Sam is a winner & a quiet leader which is the BEST, a follow me kind of performer. Those are the guys that players believe in when they step into the huddle & say "lets win this thing".

LOL.... Namath likes EVERY QB we trot out there.

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

As far as importance of schedule this is a game that is ok to lose- road nfc game 

I hope Darnold serves notice that the Jets are a team on the rise tonight. You know damn well NFL fans from all over the country are tuning in tonight to get a peak of him in action, even NFL players. 

USC fans will be Jet fans for an evening. Pats fans, Bills, Fins, they'll all be checking him out. God I hope he just blows everyone away, plays within himself & excites the players around him. We got a little bit of what that's like with Fitz in 2015. When your QB plays well, the team kind of follows & even the defense pumps their chest out a bit. 

3 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

nah he's right.  I remember Namath specifically talking about how he didn't like the way Sanchez took snaps and how he never would slide.  

I dunno.... I seem to remember Joe being positive or very positive on Geno, Sanchez, Petty, Clemens and Browning Nagle

and Glenn Foley

3 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I dunno.... I seem to remember Joe being positive or very positive on Geno, Sanchez, Petty, Clemens and Browning Nagle

and Glenn Foley

He was drinking then, remember his famous, "I don't care about the Jets" to Suzy?  He's sober now & still loves Darnold.

2 minutes ago, EM31 said:

and Glenn Foley

yes, you are absolutely right.  I'm not saying he called Sanchez trash or anything, but he was "critical", which as you stated, he usually is not.

I think it's an act anyway!  Come on - you know Joe's gotta be like the '72 Dolphins.  If Sam wins a SB with the Jets, Namath is no longer relevant to Jets fans!!  Every time we get a butt fumble, or a Geno KO or a Petty, Hackenberg, etc.  Joe's smiling a little on the inside!!

11 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Yep. That conversation is my current avatar. One of my favorite moments of that show is seeing Namath's unabashed glee for Darnold.

Namath has been spot on so far with Chad, Sanchez, Geno. He like Chad but said the key will be about him staying healthy, and he wasn't a fan of Sanchez and Geno. He loves Darnold. I love Darnold. I love Namath. Ipso facto, Namath loves me.

Archived