#bringbackFiremanEd

JOJOTOWNSELL

On 9/13/2018 at 8:48 AM, section314 said:

This a**hole has already had way more than his 15 mins. of fame. Let him go back to where ever he was for the 3-4 years he abandoned the Jets. Ultimate front runner.

Curious, I've only missed a handful of games since the late 70's.  Eds been noticeable since we moved into the Meadowlands.  There have been a hell of a lot of games played since then, a hell of a lot of bad teams and he was there.  

How many have you been to?  Just wondering who gets to decide who is a frontrunner and who isnt based on jealousy and the idea that his 15 minutes were extended to long

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like him or not he is not a fair weather fan, I believe he stopped because he was catching a lot of crap from a$$hole Jet fans over his "celebrity".  He was at every game during some very lean years, even the Kotite era.   The Jets chant is iconic and as far as I can see, nobody leads it better than he does.  There is nothing better than whole stadium doing the chant in a big game and I loved hearing it (and seeing it) at the end of the Lions game.  The haters need to relax and worry about more important things like ragging on our young, developing players.   

What are we "bringing him back" from? His self-imposed exile? Do we have to beg him to come to ******* professional football games?

Ed is the best at running the Jets chant. The fact that he had a temper tantrum and decided to stop coming to games is not as regrettable as the fact that no one has been able to replace him in leading the chant effectively. If he starts showing back up and leading the chant, cool, fine, whatever. If he doesn't, I couldn't really care less. That guy can suck eggs.

3 hours ago, jgb said:

I respect your view but I’m sorry just too sour a taste when his exit and entrance happen to perfectly correspond to the lows and highs of the team. I don’t begrudge him his fandom, we have all be through Hell as jets fans and how one chooses to support the team is their business. But to be “the face” of all of us? Naw, he DQ’d himself from that. I’d do a Kaepernick and take a knee at any chant he leads.

Thats not fair or right.  He was there week in and week out through the Coslet years.  He was there week in and week out during the 4-28 Kotite years.  Carrolls blown year.  He never quit when the team sucked.  

He quit doing the chant when he started getting abused by idiots in the stadium who thought he was on the payroll or just thought that being punks was funny.  He never stopped going to games, he just stopped allowing himself to be a target 

On 9/13/2018 at 10:48 AM, HelenOfTroy said:

I'm a USC fan, don't/or DIDN'T follow the NFL except for checking the stat sheet, or highlights involving our boys.  Getting to really warm up to being a Jets fan, so I want to learn as much as I can.

I'm ordering a #14 Jets t-shirt and wearing it to our next home game.

We don't tend to be big NFL fans, but there is a lot of Jets buzz on our boards and around the Trojan clubs.

USC is buzzing because their fans' interests and Jets fans' interests are currently aligned. Both are hoping that Sam will be the first USC QB to finally make it to and/or win a SB!

18 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

The fact that he had a temper tantrum and decided to stop coming to games is not as regrettable as the fact that no one has been able to replace him in leading the chant effectively. If he starts showing back up and leading the chant, cool, fine, whatever. If he doesn't, I couldn't really care less. That guy can suck eggs.

The Jets home field is better with an effective chant and an engaged crowd than the alternative. ED is the only one who can lead it until proven otherwise. The franchise can't buy another ED. Like the drum line or the "Flag boys." SO embarrassing and awkward. 

ED isn't just good at getting human meat bags on their feet, he's a master of timing. There's a time for the Chant, you can do too many of them or too few and catching the timing just right (usually in the commercial break between a Jets TD and kick off) is harder than it sounds. It's like watching my grandma cook, she doesn't have a recipe and even if you had it, it wouldn't be the same because of the timing. 

I have no personal attachment to the man but having a real home-field advantage might actually be a good thing.  Then again the MetLife crowd is fickle and if people want to leave in the 3rd quarter to beat the traffic, even ED can't control it. But that building is also capable of being loud as hell, and I expect it this weekend for Sam Darnold's home opener. Bottom line a good chant makes the games more fun and it's supposed to be entertainment. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Jets home field is better with an effective chant and an engaged crowd than the alternative. ED is the only one who can lead it until proven otherwise. The franchise can't buy another ED. Like the drum line or the "Flag boys." SO embarrassing and awkward. 

ED isn't just good at getting human meat bags on their feet, he's a master of timing. There's a time for the Chant, you can do too many of them or too few and catching the timing just right (usually in the commercial break between a Jets TD and kick off) is harder than it sounds. It's like watching my grandma cook, she doesn't have a recipe and even if you had it, it wouldn't be the same because of the timing. 

I have no personal attachment to the man but having a real home-field advantage might actually be a good thing.  Then again the MetLife crowd is fickle and if people want to leave in the 3rd quarter to beat the traffic, even ED can't control it. But that building is also capable of being loud as hell, and I expect it this weekend for Sam Darnold's home opener. Bottom line a good chant makes the games more fun and it's supposed to be entertainment. 

I don't disagree with any of this, but I'm not going to grovel for that meathead to "come back". It's just ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I don't disagree with any of this, but I'm not going to grovel for that meathead to "come back". It's just ridiculous.

it's not groveling just a friendly wish list item. For example, I wish they'd give the C patches out again. I'm pretty sure every other football team has captains. The Logo is atrocious. And the games were more fun with ED. how it happens idk. 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not groveling just a friendly wish list item. For example, I wish they'd give the C patches out again. I'm pretty sure every other football team has captains. The Logo is atrocious. And the games were more fun with ED. how it happens idk. 

The logo? Like, our team's logo?  Can't agree there.

Also, Ed would frequently do the chant when the offense was lined up at the LOS.  If you talk to him for 5 seconds that's not very surprising.

53 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

The logo? Like, our team's logo?  Can't agree there.

Also, Ed would frequently do the chant when the offense was lined up at the LOS.  If you talk to him for 5 seconds that's not very surprising.

Not true.

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

What are we "bringing him back" from? His self-imposed exile? Do we have to beg him to come to ******* professional football games?

Ed is the best at running the Jets chant. The fact that he had a temper tantrum and decided to stop coming to games is not as regrettable as the fact that no one has been able to replace him in leading the chant effectively. If he starts showing back up and leading the chant, cool, fine, whatever. If he doesn't, I couldn't really care less. That guy can suck eggs.

Just goes to show how little you know about the man. 

He never once stopped attending Jet games.

He simply stopped attending in "uniform" and sat and watched the games, just like everyone else. But without the chant. 

I've been in Florida dating back to my South Ozone Park, Queens days of my childhood since the age of 14-15 so obviously can not attend Jet games but in 2016 me and my family took a road trip back to see my old Queens neighborhood and caught a Jets game. Week 1 vs  Bengals. And at a tailgate we were lucky enough to run into Fireman Ed. He was awesome and took a picture with my (at the time) 5 year old daughter. He was at the game, but never did the chant. 

He simply fell back and let other jealous/envious Jet fans attempt to steal his thunder; and it didn't work. But he never stopped attending ball games so stop lying. 

Can you print out receipts and ticket stubs dating back to 1986 for each and every game you've dedicated your life to? If the answer is no, well then zip it. 

Can any one of you narcissistic Fireman Ed types of critics post receipts and ticket stubs dating back to 1986 with proof that you've dedicated your life to attending these games on a weekly and yearly basis for over 25+ years consecutively? 

If not, well then you're nothing more (nothing worse) than a hypocritical type of hypocrite...

On 9/13/2018 at 8:48 AM, section314 said:

This a**hole has already had way more than his 15 mins. of fame. Let him go back to where ever he was for the 3-4 years he abandoned the Jets. Ultimate front runner.

# 1 personal attacks are not allowed on this board. Consider this the only warning you will get.

You can say what you what about the chant but grow up with the personal attacks and name calling. 

Ed has been at every home game since he stopped doing the chant as far as I can tell. He randomly ended up sitting in the section next to me and I can see him from where I sit. He never leaves early and is there every week. Not sure how that is a front runner.

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

Nobody is asking you to grovel. Posting things that are factually accurate is all you should work on. He didn't stop going to the games.

It isn't my story to tell and it really shouldn't matter. But people starting harassing him, groups of people. He decided to stop doing the chant. He still paid for his tickets and went to the games.

You can not want him to do the chant, that is fine. But do it without the personal attacks.

10 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Can any one of you narcissistic Fireman Ed types of critics post receipts and ticket stubs dating back to 1986 with proof that you've dedicated your life to attending these games on a weekly and yearly basis for over 25+ years consecutively? 

If not, well then you're nothing more (nothing worse) than a hypocritical type of hypocrite...

On the flip side, make your point without personal attacks.

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

# 1 personal attacks are not allowed on this board. Consider this the only warning you will get.

You can say what you what about the chant but grow up with the personal attacks and name calling. 

Ed has been at every home game since he stopped doing the chant as far as I can tell. He randomly ended up sitting in the section next to me and I can see him from where I sit. He never leaves early and is there every week. Not sure how that is a front runner.

Funny how these guys who've verbally attacked Fireman Ed with their keyboard and mouse have yet to prove that they've attended games (religiously) with game receipts and ticket stubs dating back to 1986 as proof. 

That's the sad part of it all...

And plus, I never knew the Jets were the New York Yankees?

Haven't won a championship since 1969 and he's led the chant dating back to 1986...

So how could any Jets fan (let alone Fireman Ed) ever be considered as being a "front runner", "fair weather" and/or a "bandwagon" fan?

Calling a Jets fan any of the above, would be like calling a fan of the New York Yankees a fan of an "underdog". 

I didn't get a chance to read through the entire thread so I apologize if somebody else is already brought this up. At the end fireman Ed got so popular that he actually was on the Jets payroll somehow from what I understand if you remember he did a TV commercial? Obviously that put a Target on him and I think some of the drunkards in the crowd were threatening him with violence and saying the Jets were paying him to wear a Sanchez jersey? I remember he left the game at Halftime. That being said I am all for bringing back fireman Ed! He's good for the game he's good for the team he leads the chant.

Just now, Greenbloodblitz said:

I didn't get a chance to read through the entire thread so I apologize if somebody else is already brought this up. At the end fireman Ed got so popular that he actually was on the Jets payroll somehow from what I understand if you remember he did a TV commercial? Obviously that put a Target on him and I think some of the drunkards in the crowd were threatening him with violence and saying the Jets were paying him to wear a Sanchez jersey? I remember he left the game at Halftime. That being said I am all for bringing back fireman Ed! He's good for the game he's good for the team he leads the chant.

He was never on the Jets payroll as far as I know, he did some promotional things and hopefully for him there were financial considerations for that. He definitely deserved it.

I will say this, if I was Fireman Ed....Being Fireman Ed would be my job. Motivational speeches, Fireman Ed action figures, Fireman Ed power bar. He gets blasted for a lot of things, but as far as I can see he really hasn't monetized any of this.

Hell if you are in charge of getting 80,000 people pumped up on game day and you have to pay for your own ticket, that is a pretty good deal for the Jets.

I remember Ed at games throughout the years.  Always thought it was a fun idea to have a fireman lead the J...E...T...S... cheer. After a while, though, it got kinda played out and looked hokey.  

Seeing him on screen Monday night actually made me cringe a little.  He just looked like a relic (and I'm old).  IMO, I wish some young person(s) would create their own persona with a modern twist.

Totally wrong, he didnt frequently do the chant when we had the ball.  Most times the chant was in response to a score for starters. 

Did it ever happen, i guess.  Frequently?  No it didnt.  I was there for just about every one of those games and know youre wrong.  Were you there for them all too?

I remember the old days when the chant started in the end zones and the games sucked so badly that was the only thing to look forward to.

In the 98 season, Fireman Ed and the coordinated chant was awesome. I cannot for the life of me understand why some fans don't like the guy. Jealousy? 

Nobody, and nothing got the chant going as well as Ed.

How many burning buildings have any of you ever ran into in order to save a person, animal or child's life?

How much money have you all ever donated to a fire department? 

P.S: There is more to life than being a fan. This man just so happens to be a famous fire fighter of a Jets fan. 

Deal with it. 

Go and take a "knee" during his J-E-T-S chants for all you like; because passionate Jet fans really couldn't care less...

Understood? Good. 

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Nobody is asking you to grovel. Posting things that are factually accurate is all you should work on. He didn't stop going to the games.

It isn't my story to tell and it really shouldn't matter. But people starting harassing him, groups of people. He decided to stop doing the chant. He still paid for his tickets and went to the games.

You can not want him to do the chant, that is fine. But do it without the personal attacks.

This is about the opposite of the position I laid out above. I would be perfectly fine with this guy leading the chant, because lord knows that everyone who has attempted to do so after him has stunk at it.  And "personal attacks"?  If the many threads that have been started about Fireman Ed over the years haven't yet given it away, Ed is a "public figure" in these circles.  I don't think there's any problem with me, or any of the many people on this site who agree with me, opining that Fireman Ed is a melodramatic meathead.  Like many of you, I have also spoken to the guy on several occasions, and none of my conversations have led me to think otherwise.

29 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

How many burning buildings have any of you ever ran into in order to save a person, animal or child's life?

How much money have you all ever donated to a fire department? 

P.S: There is more to life than being a fan. This man just so happens to be a famous fire fighter of a Jets fan. 

Deal with it. 

Go and take a "knee" during his J-E-T-S chants for all you like; because passionate Jet fans really couldn't care less...

Understood? Good. 

LOL nice post. Really hits on everything relevant.

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Totally wrong, he didnt frequently do the chant when we had the ball.  Most times the chant was in response to a score for starters. 

Did it ever happen, i guess.  Frequently?  No it didnt.  I was there for just about every one of those games and know youre wrong.  Were you there for them all too?

Yes, every single one. Oh, and I've kept going to them too (unlike Ed).

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Man, where has "Defense Wins Championships" been all my life.  Is this Tom's new project?

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Can you print out receipts and ticket stubs dating back to 1986 for each and every game you've dedicated your life to? If the answer is no, well then zip it. 

An utterly hilarious position to take. Is this satire?

"Dedicated your life to?"  I go to every single Jet home game. I've been to over 200+ games and I'm barely 30.  That's a lot.  But I've never "dedicated my life" to the Jets because of it --- get a grip.

Phil has literally devoted thousands of hours of his time to building a fan website that brings Jets fans together, and he's done it all while buying a camper and vastly stepping up his own fan experience. If there's anyone who's "dedicated" a piece of their life to the Jets, it's him - not dramaboy Ed.

Archived