#bringbackFiremanEd

JOJOTOWNSELL

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

This is about the opposite of the position I laid out above. I would be perfectly fine with this guy leading the chant, because lord knows that everyone who has attempted to do so after him has stunk at it.  And "personal attacks"?  If the many threads that have been started about Fireman Ed over the years haven't yet given it away, Ed is a "public figure" in these circles.  I don't think there's any problem with me, or any of the many people on this site who agree with me, opining that Fireman Ed is a melodramatic meathead.  Like many of you, I have also spoken to the guy on several occasions, and none of my conversations have led me to think otherwise.

Well there is a problem with it. I told you there was a problem with it. So knock it off with the personal attacks. This will be the last time you are warned, personal attacks aren't allowed here. 

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, where has "Defense Wins Championships" been all my life.  Is this Tom's new project?

Someone mentioned that possibility earlier, so we checked because TOm has been MIA. Doesn't seem to be him, unless he moved. 

54 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I've been to over 200+ games and I'm barely 30.  That's a lot.  

200 games divided by 8 home games per year ='s 25 years. 

So just because you were 5 years old when your parents started buying your tickets and taking you to Football games, this means that you're now a better fan than that of Fireman Ed? 

I've got news for you Fireman Ed throughout his lifetime has gone to more Jet games than you could ever imagine and led the J-E-T-S Jets chant since dating back to 1986 and has attended live Jet games since before you were ever born.

When you were in diapers Fireman Ed was attending Jet games and when you were 5 years old and attending games (as you stated) Fireman Ed was leading your Jets chant. What, you don't remember? 

He's carried over a Shea Stadium tradition birthed in Queens over to NJ and that's good enough for anyone who has the Borough of Queens written on our Birth Certificate. 

PS: He's in the Pro Football Fan Hall of Fame in Canton, but you're not. I'm sorry. 

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Well there is a problem with it. I told you there was a problem with it. So knock it off with the personal attacks. This will be the last time you are warned, personal attacks aren't allowed here. 

Fair enough, I won't waste my time posting about that guy anymore.

I do think it begs the question of where the "personal attack" line is.  I'd always thought that was like one poster calling another an inappropriate name, or acting vicious toward them, which obviously shouldn't be allowed. If no one is allowed to rib Ed, who doesn't post here, is everyone off limits?  Woody Johnson? 

4 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

So just because you were 5 years old when your parents started buying your tickets and taking you to Football games, this means that you're now a better fan than that of Fireman Ed? 

I've got news for you Fireman Ed throughout his lifetime has gone to more Jet games than you could ever imagine and led the J-E-T-S Jets chant since dating back to 1986 and has attended live Jet games since before you were ever born.

When you were in diapers Fireman Ed was attending Jet games and when you were 5 years old and attending games (as you stated) Fireman Ed was leading your Jets chant. What, you don't remember? 

He's carried over a Shea Stadium tradition birthed in Queens over to NJ and that's good enough for anyone who has the Borough of Queens written on our Birth Certificate. 

PS: He's in the Pro Football Fan Hall of Fame in Canton, but you're not. I'm sorry. 

And you've gotten the "Blackout" treatment. God bless @Maxman and the ignore feature!

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I do think it begs the question of where the "personal attack" line is.  I'd always thought that was like one poster calling another an inappropriate name, or acting vicious toward them, which obviously shouldn't be allowed. If no one is allowed to rib Ed, who doesn't post here, is everyone off limits?  Woody Johnson? 

Fireman Ed often reads these forums and has personally given Phil a toast and gave a shout out for JetNation.com. 

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

SyAt Thats not fair or right.  He was there week in and week out through the Coslet years.  He was there week in and week out during the 4-28 Kotite years.  Carrolls blown year.  He never quit when the team sucked.  

He quit doing the chant when he started getting abused by idiots in the stadium who thought he was on the payroll or just thought that being punks was funny.  He never stopped going to games, he just stopped allowing himself to be a target 

Basically, when physical confrontation became the norm, he did the what most well-adjusted humans would do. He removed himself from the situation.

Its not about good/bad team. It’s that our fans became uber sh*tbags during the Rex years.

6 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Thank you. As you can see I'm right down here in Saint Petersburg, Florida. Same city as I've been since Queens. Appreciate that Maxman. 

Oh we ran a background check on you.  :)  You haven't been cleared yet though lol.

8 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I am seriously losing my patience on this. I asked pretty nicely, twice. So if you are going to move past it, just move past it.

Attacking someone personally is a personal attack. You can not like Ed all you want. You can disagree with anything you want. There is no reason for any of this on a Jets board to get personal. You know this, it has always been this way. I don't care if someone posts here or not, some things aren't cool.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

He was never on the Jets payroll as far as I know, he did some promotional things and hopefully for him there were financial considerations for that. He definitely deserved it.

I will say this, if I was Fireman Ed....Being Fireman Ed would be my job. Motivational speeches, Fireman Ed action figures, Fireman Ed power bar. He gets blasted for a lot of things, but as far as I can see he really hasn't monetized any of this.

Hell if you are in charge of getting 80,000 people pumped up on game day and you have to pay for your own ticket, that is a pretty good deal for the Jets.

Capitalism baby. If he could be on the payroll, he should be.

why this matters is beyond me. Insecure schlubs bitch about people making money doing what they love. The rest of us try and find a way to do it too.

Only Jets fans would see a working class fan, who has sat through the worst of it, carried forward a tradition for a franchise deplete of historical accolades and culture... and attack him out of envy for his popularity.

Seriously, there’s days I wish I had chosen the Packers, or Giants even, because of the density and pettiness our fan base can exhibit.

18 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

As a disconnected bystander with no money in the fight, I don't care one way or the other about this little argument between you and NJM, but like, wtf even is this post?

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Only Jets fans would see a working class fan, who has sat through the worst of it, carried forward a tradition for a franchise deplete of historical accolades and culture... and attack him out of envy for his popularity.

Seriously, there’s days I wish I had chosen the Packers, or Giants even, because of the density and pettiness our fan base can exhibit.

Yeah man, really envious here. ?

I'm giving it a rest. You should too.

Well I will just say this......

Looking at some of the anti Ed comments try imagining those attitudes fueled by booze and whatever plus the frustration of rooting for a perennial loser and a healthy dose of petty jealousy for him having separated and elevated himself from being just another green faced, plumbers butted, beer swilling goofball in the crowd then imagine Ed having to listen to their crap while all he ever did was cheer for his team and you can see why he put it on a shelf.

Ed.........if you are reading this thanks for the effort through the years. Do whats best for you going forward.

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Exactly, the guy leads a chant at a football game, nothing more.  It’s like people’s egos are crushed because they think they’re #1 Jet Super Fan not Fireman Ed.   I wonder how these people act when something in their life really goes wrong? 

I don't think there's any problem with me, or any of the many people on this site who agree with me, opining that Fireman Ed is a melodramatic meathead.  Like many of you, I have also spoken to the guy on several occasions, and none of my conversations have led me to think otherwise.

Are you as much fun at parties as you are at Jet games?

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

# 1 personal attacks are not allowed on this board. Consider this the only warning you will get.

You can say what you what about the chant but grow up with the personal attacks and name calling. 

Ed has been at every home game since he stopped doing the chant as far as I can tell. He randomly ended up sitting in the section next to me and I can see him from where I sit. He never leaves early and is there every week. Not sure how that is a front runner.

Max.....I respect all of your rules for this site and I follow them, especially the most important one, the personal attacks rule. I think you know from following my posts over the years that I am one of the least confrontational, fair members on this board. If Ed is a poster here, then I apologize and and am embarrassed for expressing myself in such a manner. If he's not, then isn't he fair game, just like Bowles, Macc, Brady and hundreds of other targets who have been vilified on this site?

On 9/13/2018 at 3:37 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

For crying out loud he once put his hands on an N.Y Giants fan during a preseason game and for shoving him he was charged with assault, the charges were later dropped but how can you hate on that? He did something most don't have the balls to do.

Oh human beings, you never cease to be entertaining.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:07 PM, joewilly12 said:

He took a lot of abuse from fans Jets and opponents, everyone needs to blame someone for losing and he was the target for many. 

So what he got a few perks who the hell cares. 

The J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS is not and wont be the same until Fireman Ed returns. 

I always thought he was fun. He got the crowd into it for sure. I would welcome him back.

Yeah man, really envious here. ?

I'm giving it a rest. You should too.

I’m making generalized statements about fans in the stands that harassed him.

Youre calling the guy names like he ****ed your wife or stole your dog.

I don’t need to give anything a rest. Violence and taunting threats at our games is no good. Chant is good. Seems pretty simple, really.

You need to stop making it about you. I didn’t address any of my comments at specifically.

38 minutes ago, section314 said:

Max.....I respect all of your rules for this site and I follow them, especially the most important one, the personal attacks rule. I think you know from following my posts over the years that I am one of the least confrontational, fair members on this board. If Ed is a poster here, then I apologize and and am embarrassed for expressing myself in such a manner. If he's not, then isn't he fair game, just like Bowles, Macc, Brady and hundreds of other targets who have been vilified on this site?

That is a great rule, unfortunately it isn't the rule we have here. Sure we can say Macc or Bowles suck at their jobs if someone feels that. If Ed spells J E T S wrong, have at it lol. But we can not personally attack anyone. There is too much of that in the world today, Ed is getting personally attacked and I don't care if he posts here or not. Personal attacks aren't allowed.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Capitalism baby. If he could be on the payroll, he should be.

why this matters is beyond me. Insecure schlubs bitch about people making money doing what they love. The rest of us try and find a way to do it too.

I totally agree. At any rate, if everyone could go in and update their email addresses before 2am Saturday morning that would be great. Nothing is changing here, it is just that Scout.com wants to have a look around.  :)  Kidding people, I am kidding.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

That is a great rule, unfortunately it isn't the rule we have here. Sure we can say Macc or Bowles suck at their jobs if someone feels that. If Ed spells J E T S wrong, have at it lol. But we can not personally attack anyone. There is too much of that in the world today, Ed is getting personally attacked and I don't care if he posts here or not. Personal attacks aren't allowed.

Well said,Max. I agree100%. Can I still come over to the meet and greet before the Vikings game??

Honestly, in all sports, does any team have a mascot/superfan that is anything close to fireman ed. In basketball you got Spike Lee for the Knicks, Drake for the raptors, and once upon a time Jack Nicholson for the Lakers. Do any of those guys have an impact on the crowd? no. Fireman Ed singlehandedly [with the help of his brothers shoulders] can shift the momentum of the whole stadium. If you had to draw up the ultimate fan, it would be fireman ED. the dude looks like he could step on the field and play middle linebacker.

What gets you more of an adrenaline rush?

the whole stadium going dead silent as Fireman Ed signals the crowd on all  Megatron screens followed by  a roar of J-E-T-S

or

10 different chants, out of unison, and trying to be led by some ugly fat old dude with an old 60's model Pan Am airplane on his head.

I never got peoples hatred for the guy. theres always a few people complaining that he didn't start the chant.  Who cares? Bill Gates didn't invent the computer, but he did a hell of a job developing and selling them. Who cares? he found silver and turned it to gold. 

I just can't see how one could argue that Ed doesn't make the game experience more exciting than if he weren't there. 

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

You are overthinking this. Who the public perceives as the face doesn't matter at all. You can ask 100,000 different Jets fans who is the biggest Jets fan they know, you will get 100,000 different answers. Ed never asked to be the face of Jets fans. It is really simple, is the stadium louder when Ed is doing the chant? Yes. But a pretty wide margin. I don't know why, and like I said I like the other guys Scott and Rob a lot. But a home field advantage is improved with a stadium that is louder. That is why Ed gets my vote.

Thats what democracy is all about, I may be in the minority and I can live with that. But Ed to me is a quitter. No offense to anyone who disagrees.

Archived