McCown is worth his 10 million

Pac

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if it was discussed in the game thread but did you see the way Darnold would immediately go to McCown after every series and listen attentively to every word?  Towards the end of the game there was a point where McCown grabbed his shoulder pads in the front by his chest and Darnold immediately grabbed his shoulder pads in the front by his chest.  Thought it was funny.

Let's remember something here, folks; Josh McCown was not paid 10 million dollars to be Sam Darnold's mentor and back-up. Josh McCown was paid 10 million dollars (while bidding against no one) to be our starter when our brain trust panicked after seeing how sh*t our other two young QBs were. When this happened, there was not even a single person on this board who thought that Sam would fall to us in the draft, and that was before we traded up to number 3. And this was even before we signed Teddy Bridgewater. Most people expected Josh McCown to be our starter going into this season, and that is what he was overpaid to do.

Last night was a great game and was immensely fun to watch, and there are plenty of kudos to go around on the team, especially to people that have received a fair amount of criticism up to this point. I just think it's silly to create a thread about our back up QB (of all people) especially after the game we just watched, just in order to fabricate this narrative, of which this is no quantifiable evidence, that Josh McCown's "mentorship" had a direct result on Sam Darnold's play, all for the sake of justifying overpaying him 10 million dollars.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Josh McCown. I like the guy. He's a class act, and I like how involved seems to be with Sam. I'm not saying he isn't a positive influence. I'm just think it's a overreaction to praise him this much, after only one game, for "earning" his money, when there is no evidence that, with the absence of Josh McCown, Sam Darnold wouldn't perform at the very same level.

And, it's also ironic coming from this particular OP @Pac, who would get his Mark Sanchez autographed panties in a bunch anytime anyone would criticize players like Jamal Adams and Darron Lee, when there was plenty of reason to do so before tonight, all for the sake of it being "too soon" and that "the jury was still out". Pac thinks it was unwarranted to criticize Jamal Adams for never having an INT before last night, when that was the exact reason we drafted him so high to do? Fine. I think it's unwarranted to slob the knob of the 10 Million Dollar Man, saying he earned every penny, when we have no way of actually measuring his actual impact on Sam Darnold.

Someone's really working hard for their junior deputy badge from the Ilk.

No one panicked.  Josh and the #1 draft pick were always plan B.  The deal with the Colts had been in the works for weeks so they simply executed the plan that was in place if we didn't sign Cousins.

Josh had a good season and signed a very fair contract.  He got bargain basement starter money coming off a season where he outperformed many who were being paid significantly more than him.  The Jets were obviously content with him starting and grooming either Darnold, Baker, or Rosen.  I know I was.

I always get a kick out of the "mentors don't mean anything" crowd.  Guys sitting on laptops pounding Pabst and shoveling down chicken wings trying to convince the masses that they know more than past and current NFL QB's all of whom stress the importance of having a guy like McCown to lean on.

No one is saying McCown can turn a bad QB into a good one.  You need look no further than last year to disprove that theory.  What we're saying is that a great mentor can expedite their learning curve and serve as a sounding board for rookies who feel more comfortable asking questions to a teammate rather than a coach.

As for the 10 Mil - I completely expected this team to be primed for a playoff run even with McCown starting.  In that respect his contract was a steal.

Your last point, like much of your post, is whack.  Critical analysis is fine..  witch hunting and outrageous bashing is what I find absurd.  Every analyst LOVES Adams and praises the Jets for the pick.  For some inexplicable reason a deranged sect of lunatic fans led by the vomitous TomShame insist on calling him a bust or someone that could have been drafted in the 3rd round.  That's the cringe worthy "analysis" that makes my brain hurt.

Not saying that Josh McCown doesn't have an impact, or that he's not worth having on the team. Just saying that jumping to the conclusion that after one game, where he didn't even play, he has already earned his 10 million dollars is absurd--nay, "cringe worthy".

To the point about the past criticisms of Jamal Adams being absurd, I disagree.

To the point about this team being primed for a playoff run with Josh McCown as the starter, I say "lol".

25 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Not saying that Josh McCown doesn't have an impact, or that he's not worth having on the team. Just saying that jumping to the conclusion that after one game, where he didn't even play, he has already earned his 10 million dollars is absurd--nay, "cringe worthy".

To the point about the past criticisms of Jamal Adams being absurd, I disagree.

To the point about this team being primed for a playoff run with Josh McCown as the starter, I say "lol".

You don’t understand if you’re basing McCown’s worth to playing time and a dollar figure. 

Bowles said it today on Michael Kay’s show when asked about having McCown around. Bowles said he’ll go to McCown with things or talk some things over with him if Bates is tied up doing something else. 

48 minutes ago, Pac said:

Someone's really working hard for their junior deputy badge from the Ilk.

No one panicked.  Josh and the #1 draft pick were always plan B.  The deal with the Colts had been in the works for weeks so they simply executed the plan that was in place if we didn't sign Cousins.

Josh had a good season and signed a very fair contract.  He got bargain basement starter money coming off a season where he outperformed many who were being paid significantly more than him.  The Jets were obviously content with him starting and grooming either Darnold, Baker, or Rosen.  I know I was.

I always get a kick out of the "mentors don't mean anything" crowd.  Guys sitting on laptops pounding Pabst and shoveling down chicken wings trying to convince the masses that they know more than past and current NFL QB's all of whom stress the importance of having a guy like McCown to lean on.

No one is saying McCown can turn a bad QB into a good one.  You need look no further than last year to disprove that theory.  What we're saying is that a great mentor can expedite their learning curve and serve as a sounding board for rookies who feel more comfortable asking questions to a teammate rather than a coach.

As for the 10 Mil - I completely expected this team to be primed for a playoff run even with McCown starting.  In that respect his contract was a steal.

Your last point, like much of your post, is whack.  Critical analysis is fine..  witch hunting and outrageous bashing is what I find absurd.  Every analyst LOVES Adams and praises the Jets for the pick.  For some inexplicable reason a deranged sect of lunatic fans led by the vomitous TomShame insist on calling him a bust or someone that could have been drafted in the 3rd round.  That's the cringe worthy "analysis" that makes my brain hurt.

I see your fetish for overpaid mediocre QBs is still going strong 

"Dallas Stars goalie Eddie Belfour was cantankerous and uncooperative during his recent arrest at a fashionable Dallas hotel, spitting, kicking and ultimately offering to buy off police, according to the arrest report.

The hockey player first offered Dallas police officers $100,000, then $1 billion, if they would not jail him in connection with a scuffle earlier this month at a hotel."

10 mill is pretty cheap if you are Ed Belfour.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

You don’t understand if you’re basing McCown’s worth to playing time and a dollar figure. 

I didn't. The OP did. That's my point.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Bowles said it today on Michael Kay’s show when asked about having McCown around. Bowles said he’ll go to McCown with things or talk some things over with him if Bates is tied up doing something else. 

Okay, I'll concede that it was a baller move for Mac to pay 10 million dollars for a mentor for Todd Bowles.

54 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

"Dallas Stars goalie Eddie Belfour was cantankerous and uncooperative during his recent arrest at a fashionable Dallas hotel, spitting, kicking and ultimately offering to buy off police, according to the arrest report.

The hockey player first offered Dallas police officers $100,000, then $1 billion, if they would not jail him in connection with a scuffle earlier this month at a hotel."

10 mill is pretty cheap if you are Ed Belfour.

Wow. I didn't know Eddie moonlighted as a super villain.

image.jpg

I thought it was awesome how as soon as Darnold threw his 1st play Interception McCown instantly went over to our coaching staff and demanded that they do not change the play calling and must stay aggressive. Wow. 

May not be a great QB but he's an excellent mentor and coach on those sidelines. The man demanded we don't change a thing and stay aggressive how can you not love that?

13 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I thought it was awesome how as soon as Darnold threw his 1st play Interception McCown instantly went over to our coaching staff and demanded that they do not change the play calling and must stay aggressive. Wow. 

May not be a great QB but he's an excellent mentor and coach on those sidelines. The man demanded we don't change a thing and stay aggressive how can you not love that?

Funny thing is. He must have Knew how conservative Todd Bowles has always been, he would have done exactly that if he did not make a scene lol

Like the QB situation with Darnold and McCown as Player/Coach with Webb as a QB backup in training and even though on the practice squad is unlikely to be stolen from there since he makes his full salary as if he were on the roster and why would anyone pay a lot more for him to be a backup since he has no regular game exp.

He's worth it because he's mentoring the most important player the Jets have had in decades. You can't find a QB with a larger breadth of knowledge than McCown. He's learned so much from so many people, and he takes a lesson from every experience. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725794-what-a-journey-man-josh-mccowns-wild-ride-through-the-nfl-rolodex

Now, Darnold gets insight into a career's worth of experience from a guy all too anxious to share everything he has learned and help Darnold fulfill his potential. It is really a perfect situation. And next year McCown will slide into the empty QB coach position (at a substantial pay cut).

On 9/11/2018 at 6:34 AM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I remember a lot of people saying that McCown couldn't be a good mentor because of his record as a starting QB. You don't need talent to have a great work ethic and attitude. 

imo, the best coaches in just about any sport are the guys were the grinds and fought hard to make the team.  the superstars rarely are good because the game comes to them so easy it doesn't feel like work.

On 9/11/2018 at 6:34 AM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I remember a lot of people saying that McCown couldn't be a good mentor because of his record as a starting QB. You don't need talent to have a great work ethic and attitude. 

Well in their defense they do know everything ? 

Posted Oct 7, 2017

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/10/how_deshone_kizer_is_still_ben.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- DeShone Kizer surely would've benefited from having Jets quarterback Josh McCown around to mentor him this season, but he's got the next best thing.

Two of McCown's mentees are still on the Browns roster in backup quarterbacks Kevin Hogan and Cody Kessler, and they're passing down McCown's many pearls of wisdom to the rookie QB.

"We're still echoing some of the stuff Josh said to us to DeShone, so he's still in our ears in a sense,'' Hogan told cleveland.com Friday as the 0-4 Browns prepared to take on the 2-2 Jets Sunday at FirstEnergy Stadium. "Whatever knowledge we've gained over the last year, we're relaying it to him.''

When Hogan's career is over, he'll look back on his rookie year with McCown last year as an invaluable learning experience -- one he wishes every rookie could have.

"I think about it all the time,'' he said. "And it's just little things. When you're getting coached up from the coaches, he'll whisper in your ear, 'here's an easier way to think of it' or 'approach it this way.'  Because he'll kind of see a blank look on our faces and we're not really understanding it and he's like a translator.''

Like another coach on the field

McCown's helpful hints carried over to the playing field.

"He'd say 'hey, if you do this a little bit differently, I think you'll start to feel better and a little more confident about it,'" Hogan said.

Hogan remembers coming over to the sidelines last year when he replaced Kessler in the second quarter in Cincinnati, and McCown helping to coach him up. The Browns lost 31-17, but Hogan rushed for 104 yards, second most by a QB in Browns' history. His 28-yard TD run was also the franchise long by a QB.

The passing didn't go nearly as well, with 12 completions in 24 attempts for 100 yards and two interceptions for a 26.4 rating, but the sideline support helped tremendously.

"One thing that he helped me with was just throwing the ball hard,'' said Hogan, who parlayed some of that knowledge into the No. 2 job behind Kizer this year. "Coming out of college I was not necessarily throwing it hard, more just putting air under it, throwing it way out in front of guys, and he was like 'make sure you're throwing it hard, putting it on the guys.'

"That's something that's stuck with me especially in this league because things happen quickly and you want to get the ball to your receivers and running backs as fast as you can so they can move with the ball downfield.''

On the same page

McCown's experience with seven teams over 15 seasons gave him an encyclopedic knowledge of the game, and he was an open book to his proteges, including the troubled Johnny Manziel in 2015.

"He was really like a player-coach,'' said Hogan. "He knows when the bullets are flying out there what you're going through and that things are happening quickly. He's been in that position a million times before and that's sometimes different from coaches where maybe they've watched it on film or from the sideline.''

He was also a natural at breaking it down, in part from coaching high school football in 2011 and 2012 while waiting for NFL teams to call.

"Football seems like it's in his blood, and right off the bat he's one of the brightest guys I've ever met," said Hogan. "Playing as many years as he has is a feat in and of itself.''

Kizer would've liked a big brother like that

Kizer, who heads into this head-to-head matchup Sunday at the bottom of the NFL with a 50.9 rating -- almost a full 15 points below second-worst Joe Flacco -- admitted this week it would've been nice to have a wise, old sage around to help through these tough times.

"But when you have a quarterbacks coach in Coach Jackson, essentially I already have that," he said. "The conversations that we have are more on a personal level where we can share thoughts and create dialogue. It's not just coach talking down to a player.''

Besides, he said, mentoring can be an outside job too.

"I have some good relationships with guys who have played in this league outside of this locker room, and I try to use them as much as I possibly can,'' he said.

Kizer declined to share the names of his support team, but one is likely former NFL quarterback Zac Robinson, whom he worked with prior to the draft, and who spent time with the Bengals when Jackson was there in 2012 and 2013.

Kizer acknowledged that personal growth has to be done "in the quiet hours'' away from Berea, where he can evaluate himself. But he reminded folks he's doing the best he can in the situation he's in -- the league's youngest quarterback on the youngest team in the NFL.

And he can't say this -- but without a reliable receiving corps.

"When they decided to bring me in and decided to name me the starting quarterback, that whole timeline shrunk and it is what it is,'' he said.

McCown wanted to stay

McCown surely would've been a valuable asset to Kizer, and would've been embraced the role, even though he's starting for the Jets and playing well -- coming off two wins and ranked second in the NFL with a 70.1 completion percentage. In Cleveland, he could've started the first four or five games to give Kizer time to learn.

But the Browns cut the 38-year-old in February to save the bulk of his $3.6 million salary and to give him enough time to catch on elsewhere. The rebuilding Jets snatched him up, signing him to a one-year deal worth $6 million guaranteed.

It wasn't that Jackson felt his hands-on approach eliminated the need for a veteran mentor. On the contrary, he offered to hire McCown as a QB coach. The Browns had another veteran in Brock Osweiler, but he wasn't the right man for the job and they cut him despite his $16 million guaranteed salary.

"We kept what we felt were the best players on our team to help this football team win,'' said Jackson. "I do know that having a veteran player will help to ease it a little bit, but at the same time, you have to do what is best for the organization and team, as well. I have taken on that role, but we have some younger guys that are starting to become veteran players.

"This young man is growing. If I thought that we weren't making the improvement or not seeing things well, I'd be the first to say, 'Hey look, we have to get someone in here that has done this that can help this guy along the way.''

Coaches as mentors

Besides, he believes he and quarterbacks coach David Lee have it covered.

"I've done everything I can do. He's taken the coaching. Coach Lee has also done a good job and spent a lot of time with him. The first quarter of the season is over. There were a lot of lessons learned from him.

"He saw a lot the first four games, and he'll see a lot this weekend, too, but the game is starting to slow down for him. He's starting to really see everything very clearly. When you can do that, that is when the game really starts to really take off for you."

But as Hogan and McCown said, there's just something to be said for having an experienced guy around to amplify even the best of quarterback whisperers.

"When you have a veteran player that maybe comes in and says the same message that the coach is saying, now for whatever reason, it's grasped,'' said McCown. "Obviously it's because there's a trust in the locker room that's different from player to player.

"The veteran players can certainly have an impact in helping build the young guys and build the culture."

And in the raising of a quarterback.

Archived