Jump to content

Awesome game! Lots of thoughts...


Recommended Posts

this game just got away from detroit and patricia showed his inexperience in not being able to stop the momentum.   the lions looked terrible and i have no idea what their game plan was.  the jets OL looked great tonight and darnold was even more of a stud than i expected.  

i think the 17-17 in the 3rd was more of a realistic sense of where this team ultimately is but i couldn't be happier with overall result.   Really fired up for the sunday game which is more than I can say for a week 2 in recent memory.   

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

this game just got away from detroit and patricia showed his inexperience in not being able to stop the momentum.   the lions looked terrible and i have no idea what their game plan was.  the jets OL looked great tonight and darnold was even more of a stud than i expected.  

i think the 17-17 in the 3rd was more of a realistic sense of where this team ultimately is but i couldn't be happier with overall result.   Really fired up for the sunday game which is more than I can say for a week 2 in recent memory.   

Yeah it was crazy. Fun to watch, but a Lee pick 6 plus 4 other picks plus a return TD isn’t likely to happen again this season (let alone become at all commonplace). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah it was crazy. Fun to watch, but a Lee pick 6 plus 4 other picks plus a return TD isn’t likely to happen again this season (let alone become at all commonplace). 

This is where I'm at. Great win but it's clear the Jets got incredibly lucky with that game today. It's easy to get over a pick-6 when every single other break for the rest of the game goes your way but it rarely works out like that. It's really hard to take much from this game with Detroit handing the whole thing over. Like when Darron ******* Lee has two picks and scores a touchdown, you know something is up.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

So . . . you DID or DIDN'T Like the new White Face Masks? :blink:

Like I said, I didn’t post in the game thread, but my impulse after Darnold’s pick-6 was to post something like, “OK now I’m good with a uniform change. Get the new ones in here already before the green infects and ruins this poor kid for good.” 

Link to post
Share on other sites

lee looks a lot better with a better run stopping MLB next to him, he has sideline to sideline speed in coverage. adams made a couple splash plays, one on a run blitz and one on the hit on tate in the end zone, also had his 1st career pick. D Line play was stifling, and the lions OL was considered one of the better units in the league. Trumaine Johnson is a beast. Nickerson had a couple nice plays and an extremely stupid taunting penalty on 3rd down. Enunwa is the slot beast he was before the injury. and THE KID IS GOOD

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

touching the ground even moving after it hits the ground is irrelevant now in terms of a catch...no one seems to get the new catch rule

It looked more like the other new “rule”: they’re going to really try to cut down on overturning plays called on the field. If they’d called it incomplete I don’t think they would have overturned that challenge either.

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, cant wait said:

lee looks a lot better with a better run stopping MLB next to him, he has sideline to sideline speed in coverage. adams made a couple splash plays, one on a run blitz and one on the hit on tate in the end zone, also had his 1st career pick. D Line play was stifling, and the lions OL was considered one of the better units in the league. Trumaine Johnson is a beast. Nickerson had a couple nice plays and an extremely stupid taunting penalty on 3rd down. Enunwa is the slot beast he was before the injury. and THE KID IS GOOD

The stupid part of the Nickerson taunting penalty was the ref throwing the flag at all on it.

Trumaine Johnson didn’t look anything like a beast today. Hopefully he will, though, because he was beaten by his man 3-4x today even while missing a good chunk of the game.

Agree on the rest.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah it was crazy. Fun to watch, but a Lee pick 6 plus 4 other picks plus a return TD isn’t likely to happen again this season (let alone become at all commonplace). 

We STILL scored 34 points on offense.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We STILL scored 34 points on offense.

Technically, 31, unless you want to credit the offense with the interception that gave them field position in FG range. Plus I’m not taking points off the board for us, but Detroit already looked deflated before that point.

Hey it’s still great to see (nice to see us piling on even more towards then end, for a change; we’re more accustomed to seeing it the other way around).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post overall but I disagree with the assessment of Trumaine Johnson. He's not Revis but he was a blanket out there outside of a few plays. There's a strong reason on why the Rams franchise tagged him throughout two consecutive years and it's because he's one of the top 1-3 man on man coverage CB's within the entire league. 

Matthew Stafford dropped back and threw the ball damn near 50x (46) so of course you're going to see his WR's breaking open from time to time but for the most part both of Trumaine/Claiborne played their asses off. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

i didn't watch the game but it almost sounds like it turned out too good.  they only have a few days to get ready for the next one and then even fewer for the next.  these will be the telling games.  can they recover from a win as well as a loss?  the previous jets teams seemed to have trouble doing both.

but it does sound like darnold is as good as advertised.  recovering from a pick six is huge. he didn't have gawdy stats but better than we've seen for a long time.  and it does look like the defense had detroit's number.  stafford is not a bad qb and they held him down pretty well.

too early to see where this is heading but winning 9 out of the next 15 is easier than winning 10 out of 16.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jets absolutely mauled the bills in a similar fashion a few years ago in a week one season opener ... I think they went 5-11 or something that year. The only point I'm trying to make is that season openers are not always a great indicator of things to come.

 

Still hella fun to watch.

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The Jets absolutely mauled the bills in a similar fashion a few years ago in a week one season opener ... I think they went 5-11 or something that year. The only point I'm trying to make is that season openers are not always a great indicator of things to come.

 

Still hella fun to watch.

 

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

Doing it in a home teams opener, in a dome stadium, with a rookie QB, is very impressive.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also agree on Trumaine Johnson, I’d say it was slightly underwhelming for what I was expecting. He got burnt a bit on crossing routes, might be losing a touch of speed but with them throwing as much as they did he is bound to get beat a few times.

There absolutely should have been a review of Nickerson’s INT, was pretty confident that toe tapped in.

I cant wait to see this team with Maye back in coverage and adding an edge. Great all around win for the entire team.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, genot said:

Oh where, oh where are the Lee, Adams ,and Williams detractors. Come out and post. Give credit where credits do. Parry Nickerson. Thanks Mac.

They all played really well as did Skrine.  Adding Trumaine Johnson was huge he’s a legit #1 Cover Corner so he can take the other team’s best wr in man on man and free up everyone else

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HighPitch said:

With the jets suddenly winning time of possesion, darnolds slow but steady marches, our D was fresh and not winded. Thats a new thing

Offensive Line deserves a ton of credit they opened up holes all over the place last night

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

They all played really well as did Skrine.  Adding Trumaine Johnson was huge he’s a legit #1 Cover Corner so he can take the other team’s best wr in man on man and free up everyone else

Sometimes it takes a while for the light bulb to go on. In the NFL you can't wait too long. Writing off a Lee, who has incredible speed and athleticism after only two years, was a little harsh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...