Awesome game! Lots of thoughts...

Sperm Edwards

6 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

What Downs did Adams have ? 

If you want a giggle ... watch the highlight of Lee's pick 6.

Adams comes tearing into the end zone to leap on Lee in celebration ... completely misses, falls on his backside and skids out the back of the EZ into someone standing there. Comedy gold! :D 

13 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Offensive Line deserves a ton of credit they opened up holes all over the place last night

If our line plays well, the skies the limit for this offense. No Kearse, and the Tight ends weren't heavily involved. Very exiting.

6 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

What Downs did Adams have ? 

If you want a giggle ... watch the highlight of Lee's pick 6.

Adams comes tearing into the end zone to leap on Lee in celebration ... completely misses, falls down and skids out the back of the EZ into someone standing there. Comedy gold! :D 

6 hours ago, johnnysd said:

touching the ground even moving after it hits the ground is irrelevant now in terms of a catch...no one seems to get the new catch rule

Note sure the replay guys even know. Suddenly looks like the ball hitting the ground and moving makes it a catch. 

One thing we have seen repeatedly in the culture of this franchise for a long time; overconfidence after a win. This is one very good game, but as bad as the Dolphins were Sunday that's not a gimme game. Need to be focused. 

Really want to see more of Nickerson; very athletic. There isn't any other corner here like that other than him. The taunting call was nonsense; they could call that after every tackle. 

OL had a rough start and a decent finish. Need to be better. 

24 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

With the jets suddenly winning time of possesion, darnolds slow but steady marches, our D was fresh and not winded. Thats a new thing

They were way ahead in TOP in the first half, and were tied after 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter. If you don't score, time of possession is mostly meaningless. As someone in the game thread noted WCO offenses tend to bog down inside the 20. They got untracked , if greatly helped by the Lions making a mess. 

with the the new rule the ball can touch the ground as long as the receiver had control before and after it touches. If he did not have or maintain control then no catch. either way it is about time to catch a break and not get it reversed

he NFL rules state that a player going to the ground while attempting to make a catch must maintain control of the ball throughout the process before hitting the ground. ... If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete.

The replay ruling on Enunwa’s catch wasn’t a gift. The Jets finally got a correct call on a reviewed catch. 

The new rule allows for the ball to be touching the ground during the catch as long as the receiver maintains control. There was no conclusive evidence in that replay that Enunwa lost control. The ruling was consistent with other replay reviews during week 1. 

6 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

The replay ruling on Enunwa’s catch wasn’t a gift. The Jets finally got a correct call on a reviewed catch. 

The new rule allows for the ball to be touching the ground during the catch as long as the receiver maintains control. There was no conclusive evidence in that replay that Enunwa lost control. The ruling was consistent with other replay reviews during week 1. 

I was getting sick and tired of legit catches getting overturned because the ball moved a micrometer in the receiver’s hands.  

Not much has been said about the special teams contribution.  The punt returns were all great, every kickoff was unreturnable, every extra point was perfect as well as the field goal.  Except for the shank all of Edwards punts were really good too.  After the special teams debacle during the preseason I was concerned that we were going to get roasted on special teams.  Hopefully this will be the start of some good special teams play.

2 hours ago, genot said:

Oh where, oh where are the Lee, Adams ,and Williams detractors. Come out and post. Give credit where credits do. Parry Nickerson. Thanks Mac.

I didn't think Leonard Williams had a good game.   Lee and Adams played really, really well.   Leonard had 1 hit on the QB, and that was more of a coverage thing than anything else. 

The guy we got off the Colts (name escapes me cause I'm old) played a nice game.

9 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t post much during games in the game threads since I’m usually not home in front of a full keyboard, and am not a big cell phone typer, so I’m putting it all here for my 2 imaginary friends who might read something this unnecessariy long, lol.

What an immensely fun game to watch. 

----

• Playcalling: the 3rd & 1 (or was it 2?) end around attempt. Running backwards while we were only in long-FG range to begin with, in a close game… let’s leave it at: we won the game so hopefully it was a gross error in judgment that ultimately didn’t cost us, and he never does something this unnecessarily risky and dumb again. Hard to say how he would have called the rest of the game, but there’ll be plenty more games this year. As it was, the D and special teams scoring - plus a conservative-run-turned-60yd-TD - and some nice receiver grabs, with the line generally looking good, meant the offensive playcalling wasn’t really spotlighted (let alone scrutinized) today. Would he have gone into a shell early if McCown wasn’t barking in his face not to (following the opening pick 6)? We’ll never know, but maybe the way things turned out today will influence him not to do so going forward, even if he might have today. 

---

• The announcers. I don’t even need to elaborate (though I always do). I get they’re trying to expand the announcers’ gender pool from 1 to 2, and if she was decent no one would seriously care about a woman calling the game (ok maybe not no one, but their initial disgust would fade over time). But wtf was that? How is she the glass ceiling breaker? She’s got a grating voice that I guess is her trying to impersonate some guy - badly - and she just never sounded like she had a feel for the game. Her comatose partner-in-crime (Griese?) was no better. It was an unfortunate and unnecessary distraction from an otherwise crazy-enjoyable first Darnold game.

---

• The refs. Two bad calls stick out for me. We got a rare gift on a completion that should have been overturned. The ball touched the ground and on replay it looked like it helped the catch so was more than incidental contact. Maybe it was a makeup call because the unsportsmanlike they handed to us for Nickerson for taunting, I think right around then, was total horse**** garbage. It’s an emotional sport where momentum is a factor. Guys try to psyche themselves into a zone every game, and that’s all this looked like. He didn’t lay his hands on anyone, he didn’t follow anyone flapping his mouth all the way to the other team’s sideline, he didn’t grab his jock and fake-spooge at Lions player(s) or fans, nor did he do anything that didn’t seem quite routine. The ref threw a flag like he was an elementary school gym teacher who stresses nonsense like it doesn’t matter if you win or lose. 

Good write up @Sperm Edwards

- Do you think McCown has a future as a coach? He seems to really have taken to his mentor role and has a pretty great personality for it. Would be quite a story if he graduated to QB coach next year, and then maybe moved up the Jets rankings in the future.

- I actually thought Mowins was better than Griese, and had a decent grasp of the game, but her voice was a bit much.  Not to get all super libby PC but I think football fans are just viscerally turned off by females announcing games (maybe sports in general - see Jessica Mendoza, who is actually pretty good at her job)

- Agree on the penalty analysis, though it remains to be seen how the NFL interprets its own new catch rule. I think Q had that ball firmly in his grasp, but then it shifted pretty dramatically when he hit the ground. They may have messed that one up, but as you said, they REALLY botched the Parry Nickerson taunting call.

4 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

Good write up @Sperm Edwards

- Do you think McCown has a future as a coach? He seems to really have taken to his mentor role and has a pretty great personality for it. Would be quite a story if he graduated to QB coach next year, and then maybe moved up the Jets rankings in the future.

- I actually thought Mowins was better than Griese, and had a decent grasp of the game, but her voice was a bit much.  Not to get all super libby PC but I think football fans are just viscerally turned off by females announcing games (maybe sports in general - see Jessica Mendoza, who is actually pretty good at her job)

- Agree on the penalty analysis, though it remains to be seen how the NFL interprets its own new catch rule. I think Q had that ball firmly in his grasp, but then it shifted pretty dramatically when he hit the ground. They may have messed that one up, but as you said, they REALLY botched the Parry Nickerson taunting call.

Certainly seems so, but he’s spent less time yet with Darnold than he’s spent around/with both Petty and Hackenberg. Darnold was a premiere prospect with or without McCown, so as elated as we all are I’d wait before handing all Darnold’s credit to someone else.

She was irritating. I really couldn’t care less that she’s a woman, as fans have justifiably complained about plenty of bad male announcers over the years as well. I didn’t get the same feeling as you over her grasp for the game. I think someone was feeding her content, honestly. Take when Stafford was holding his knee in his EZ. I’d have check if/when I re-watch the whole game but my recollection was she was only zomg’ing well after that, when Stafford was lining up without even a significant limp, 20+ seconds after the zomg moment had passed.

The catch looked like the ground aided in the catch. If the new rule change says (or becomes) the ground can help you catch it, then yes. But I think it was more that they’re trying to improve the way fans view the refs by overturning fewer calls. I don’t see them overturning it if the original call went the other way. 

The Nickerson flag was total garbage. I half think the ref was putting a rookie in his place. Adams’ celebration - which was correctly not-flagged, as it wasn’t taunting - was more “unsportsmanlike” than Nickerson’s couple words. Plus plenty of jawing that also correctly goes without a flag after a key play. Compare that to the late game, with (unless I missed it) the lack of a flag on the Marcus Peters pick-6 after he crotch-grabbed to taunt the whole Raiders team as he crossed into the EZ. 

9 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

this game just got away from detroit and patricia showed his inexperience in not being able to stop the momentum.   the lions looked terrible and i have no idea what their game plan was.  the jets OL looked great tonight and darnold was even more of a stud than i expected.  

i think the 17-17 in the 3rd was more of a realistic sense of where this team ultimately is but i couldn't be happier with overall result.   Really fired up for the sunday game which is more than I can say for a week 2 in recent memory.   

maybe, but I'm not so sure.  I think because it was such a blowout, and everyone wants to talk about the INTs, the PR for a TD, the Saquo....I mean Crowell 62 yard TD run...what gets lost is the fact that Detroit tied this game!  scored 10 points on 2 possessions before we could get the ball again.  THAT was the point where Darnold showed us what we have to look forward to.  THAT is the point where the "same ol' Jets" lose the game.  uh uh.  Sam marches right down the field and scores in SIX PLAYS!!!

yes, it unraveled for Detroit after that, but THAT right there is what gives me hope for years to come.

The team dominated every aspect of the game and layed the smack down to what most experts considered a good team.  It looks like the team was playing with a collective chip on their shoulder and wanted to prove all of the "analysts" wrong who ranked them as a bottom 3 or worse team.  Exciting times in Jetland, folks!!!  

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Parry Nickerson taunting penalty i have no proof but suspect it was for what he said rather than what he did physically 

+1

I was just going to post this.  There are plenty of things that will get a taunting penalty without huge finger pointing/crotch grabbing. (Huge crotch grabbing?)  The ref was right there and probably heard something he shouldn't.  I am a fan of taunting, so it bothered me, but I am sure Nickerson had quite a bit to say.

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

touching the ground even moving after it hits the ground is irrelevant now in terms of a catch...no one seems to get the new catch rule

Including the announcers who clearly have no idea how it works.  But that was the least of their problems.

I also found her voice annoying to listen to.  And it wasn't like her insights or knowledge of the game made up for it.  There is some very good on-air talent of the XX variety.  I hope they plan to try someone else out and not stick with this one all season because if so, MNF is going to be an inferior product.

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

The Jets absolutely mauled the bills in a similar fashion a few years ago in a week one season opener ... I think they went 5-11 or something that year. The only point I'm trying to make is that season openers are not always a great indicator of things to come.

Still hella fun to watch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That’s when Stephen Hill has two touchdowns. But you are right. 

The next game will say more about Bowles than anything. After blowing a team out in front of their fans, will he have his team prepared? I know our stadium will be rocking!!! 

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

Not much has been said about the special teams contribution.  The punt returns were all great, every kickoff was unreturnable, every extra point was perfect as well as the field goal.  Except for the shank all of Edwards punts were really good too.  After the special teams debacle during the preseason I was concerned that we were going to get roasted on special teams.  Hopefully this will be the start of some good special teams play.

Biggest upside surprise of the night. I expected the D to play well (not that well, but it's a good group) and Sam too. But I was really worried about ST's. No returnable kickoffs and Andre Roberts wow!

5 minutes ago, Jets86 said:

We have a legit chance to be 6-1 before the Vikings game. I truly believe we will win this division.

Shame!

It's okay to think that alone in a dark room but it is definitely taunting (fate) and a 15-yard penalty to say that out loud.

5 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Shame!

It's okay to think that alone in a dark room but it is definitely taunting (fate) and a 15-yard penalty to say that out loud.

I'm liking the direction of this franchise. I believe the curse has been lifted. I don't believe in jinxes. I'm also saying it out loud because I'm a proud fan.

I give the OP a B. ? Long winded BUT so much to SCREAM about so it’s forgiven. Sperm you missed out on SEVERAL other outstanding points. Roberts was electrifying on punt returns. Totally changed the game and drove a stake into the Lions hearts. As far as TJ is concerned, let’s take into account he took a viscous hit and that must have affected his play when he returned. And the run game was punishing. Crowell is a beast! And he is FAST. Holy Moly. He and Powell make a formidable duo. And there’s more to this offense than meets the eyeballs. Herndon, Leggett, Cannon and Kearse will only make us more dangerous. And Bates really kept Darnold on a string. The pass plays were extremely cautious. As Darnold gets more comfortable and confident, the sky’s the limit.  Still smiling ?

7 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

The Adams point is way off. Dude made a play, stop looking for every hole possible in the team man lol

He did break up a pass which was a nice play BUT that’s what a 1st round #6 pick safety is supposed to do on a regular basis. And Adams didn’t intercept that ball later in the game. God dropped it into his lap. He did nothing other than stand there and waaaala. Hopefully he displays some safety instincts and gets one on his own this year. 

12 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is where I'm at. Great win but it's clear the Jets got incredibly lucky with that game today. It's easy to get over a pick-6 when every single other break for the rest of the game goes your way but it rarely works out like that. It's really hard to take much from this game with Detroit handing the whole thing over. Like when Darron ******* Lee has two picks and scores a touchdown, you know something is up.

Good teams make their own luck......We will see how this plays out but the defense has been showing up all preseason. I expect it to continue. The real shock was the ST.

Archived