Game Observations (DET)

KRL

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It's pretty obvious to see that it was a designed roll out to the right with a designed throw back. They were trying to catch the Lions off guard and we're hoping they would over commit to the right and they didn't. It was a great play by their defense.

Like I've said before, the play took WAY TOO LONG to set up because Sam got instant pressure to  his left & right and had to then climb the pocket. It's tough to scan that far over when your trying to escape up through the pocket. It was poorly blocked too forcing Sam to #1 escape pressure taking his concentration from how the play was developing to getting away which did not allow him to see the safety had hung back & could break on the play. Otherwise he would have seen him thrown much earlier & put some air under the ball. Sometimes defenders can see what's happen & still not make a play when there is a lot of ground to cover by yourself. 

11 minutes ago, genot said:

If we can run the football half way decently, it's a very hard team to defend with a good QB. A lot of receivers with different skill sets. Two running backs who can catch the football. Hell ,no Kearse ,and Tight ends that weren't a big part last night in the passing game.

We actually ran a bunch of multiple TE sets and Sterling has at least one catch

50 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Im not nitpicking at all, but with respect to throwing down the field - on the Robby TD, he was wide open, and had Darnold thrown that to the back pylon it was a cake walk.  I dont think its an arm strength thing, but that ball needs to be thrown for Robby to run and get it, and not give the DB a chance

Darnold made that entire play possible . His shoulder fake got the safety to bite . Which helped Robbie even get open .  It’s Robby job to make plays on 50/50 balls that’s exactly what he did . 

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But honestly I dont blame Bates for the first play call. Sam has to know to keep the ball there.

The end around on 3rd and 2 is another story. That was horrible

A little more air on that first pass and Powell is gone for a touchdown 

agreed on in the end around . Hell Robby didn’t even look comfortable running it .

I am VERY critical of Lee and Adams but could not be happier last night. I honestly think they both needed confidence builders and last night couldn’t have gone any better.

Lee’s face was stone cold after his first pick. He didn’t get overly excited and kept playing better. He had a shaky start though. So there are areas of his game that need to be worked on or “masked” through scheme.

Adams looked great in coverage which I can’t believe I’m saying. Not even the INT but he has some awesome pass breakups and didn’t look “out of control” or panicked when he made those plays. His run blitzing was also awesome. 

If these 2 can just settle in and calm down while they play, I think they can do well this year. Week - confidence boost is honestly what they need to take a next step. 

15 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

A little more air on that first pass and Powell is gone for a touchdown 

agreed on in the end around . Hell Robby didn’t even look comfortable running it .

That was a ridiculous playcall I hate WR reverses in the nfl the defenses are too fast but I can’t complain overall Bates did a great job last night

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Im not nitpicking at all, but with respect to throwing down the field - on the Robby TD, he was wide open, and had Darnold thrown that to the back pylon it was a cake walk.  I dont think its an arm strength thing, but that ball needs to be thrown for Robby to run and get it, and not give the DB a chance

I agree. The ball was a bit under thrown but Robby made a good play and ripped it from the defender. If it was one more yard ahead it would have been a perfect throw. But hey, give your guys a chance to make a play and that's what he did. 

7 hours ago, KRL said:

The season couldn't have started any worse and I'm sure the trolls
were out in full force after the pick 6.  But what a turnaround that
led to an encouraging 48-17 win against DET.  Let's take a look:

General Notes

- Two impressive runs by the Jets, after the pick 6 they outscored
DET 48-10 the rest of the game.  And after DET tied the game at 17
they outscored them 31-0

- Good to see the penalties cleaned up and not have a negative impact

- How great was it to hear the J-E-T-S chant in a quiet dome at the
end of the game???  Incredible. I can't wait for Sunday.  Home opener, vs. Miami, Darnold's first MetLife start, on the heels of that game, weather projected as 80 and sunny. It has potential to be an absolutely seismic day in East Rutherford.

Special Teams

- A perfect night for Jason Myers and Lachlan Edwards.  Myers will need
a leg massage for all the PAT's, KO's and FG's he kicked.  And Edwards
barely broke a sweat as he punted three times all game.  In good conditions, it doesn't look like Myers will have any problem blasting the ball through the back of the endzone all season long. That's a sneaky asset.

- What a shock to finally see a returner flip field position and be
an actual weapon.  Terrific game by Andre Roberts with three huge punt
returns (70+ yards, 40+ yards & 15+ yards) and a TD.  What a pleasure to
see someone not muff punts or lose yardage.  Aside from my utter bewilderment at how incredible Darron Lee played, this might have been the thing I gabbed about the most.  Andre Roberts was the best roster decision the Jets made this month, by far.

Defense

- Excellent defensive effort, holding DET to 10 points in their building
is not easy.  Add in FIVE INT's and a pick 6 and you had the crowd booing
and leaving early

- DLine was an absolute wall against the run, holding the "improved" DET
running game to 39 yards.  And even though they got no sacks, they had constant
pressure on Matthew Stafford which led to rushed throws and INT's.  Credit
to Steve McLendon and Henry Anderson as they screwed up DET OLine schemes
with constant penetration.  In fact Anderson caused the Darron Lee pick 6
because he was in Stafford's lap   Even though Detroit abandoned the ground game pretty quickly, part of that was because we gave them reason to. The secondary also flew up toward the LOS against the run (Adams is going to make a career off of doing this, apparently), and you could see the Detroit O-Line had slumping shoulders. We beat the will out of them.

- The LB's gave the DLine excellent support in stopping the run.  Avery 
Williamson was the enforcer but unlike David Harris and Demario Davis he
provides speed.  Frankie Luvu had a good debut as he had multiple TFL's and
batted a pass down at the line.  And Darron Lee finally had an impact game
worthy of a #1 pick with two INT's and a pick 6.  And each pick gives you 
hope that maybe he's learning.  The first one he disguised his coverage then
jumped the route for the pick 6.  And on the second one he dropped to the
proper depth in zone coverage and snatched it out of the air   Just want to throw in that Avery Williamson is a bad, bad man. In a game where we have to dig in against a nasty O-line and power running game, he is going to be our difference maker.

- The secondary was off the charts.  As they covered, tackled, showed great hands
on INT's and displayed depth when players had to leave to be checked for injuries.
Credit to Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine and particularly Jamal Adams.  Adams
had a total game as he was excellent in run support, bringing edge pressure,
coverage and finally got his first pick.  In addition people need to recognize 
his ability to diagnose what the offense is doing and putting himself or his
teammates in proper position      The thing that jumped off the screen to me about the secondary was how close the corners lined up to the receivers on the LOS, and subsequently how physically they played in coverage. Huge contrast from the past couple of years, and I hope it continues. I really thing that successful secondary play in the NFL today hinges on the ability of press corners to dance the line between battling a receiver tooth and nail down the entire field, and committing pass interference. See: Jalen Ramsey, all the time. See: Trumaine Johnson, last night.

Offense

- Two strange calls by Jeremy Bates that I have to bring up.  The first was the
pick 6 which to me was a little much for a rookie QB's first throw in the pros.
The second was the Robby Anderson reverse on 3rd and 2 which led to a loss and
pushed us out of FG range.  Other than that how could you complain?  Agree. The Robby call was particularly befuddling. But in general, Bates did a great job moving the pocket around and giving Darnold open vision lanes to make solid throws.  Great mix of run and pass too.

- The OLine was excellent in both phases and controlled Ziggy Ansah.  Who cares
if he got a sack, Ansah did his normal thing in getting a "stat", having no
impact then getting injured.  People need to start watching the OLine play and
stop repeating the narrative that they're shaky.  The zone blocking scheme was
devastating and Sam Darnold was kept clean.  Credit to the TE's Eric Tomlinson,
Neal Sterling and Chris Herndon for their help in sealing the edges of DET defense  I had thought going into this that people were too down on the OL, but I didn't expect them to have that much success against Detroit's front.  Credit to those vets for stepping in with minimal reps, and minimal time to gel, and playing as such a unit.  With regard to the TE's, I think that Sterling (who is a physical specimen) and Herndon might actually be solid building blocks going forward.

- Welcome back Quincy Enunwa as he was solid in his first game back.  He provides
the offense with flexibility, makes tough catches and runs "angry".  Good to see
Sam Darnold and Robby Anderson connect on the 40 yard TD.  And Anderson showed strong
hands in ripping the ball away from the safety.  Finally Terrelle Pryor also was
solid in his reps, once Jermaine Kearse gets healthy this will be a dangerous WR
corps.   Not much more needs to be said about Q.  The guy looks like a motorboat when he gets the ball in his hands.  The big, pleasant surprise for me was Terrelle Pryor, who ran crisp routes and looked like a colossal target downfield for Darnold.  Amazing that next week we get our most technically sound WR back...

- Isaiah Crowell and Bilal Powell were excellent as a tandem (22 rushes / 160 yards).
And Powell was incredible in blitz pickup putting LB's on the ground multiple times  It sort of makes me sad that Bilal Powell will never get the recognition as a Jet that he deserves. He's a very, very good player.

- Sam Darnold's awful start displayed one of his best traits, being a "flatliner".
His ability to shrug off the pick 6 allowed the team to stabilize the game and change
momentum.  Because how many times have Jet fans seen Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith commit
turnovers and go straight into the toilet???  Once the INT was out of his system Darnold
went right back to being accurate, mobile and making good decisions.  What a strange
feeling to actually have confidence in your QB    There's a great pic of him walking off the field with the game ball and a killer's expression on his face. Can't love this kid enough.

Final Thoughts

- Why didn't the booth review the Parry Nickerson almost INT at the end of the half???
It was close enough to give it another look    Yeah... if that were a playoff game or something, I may have gone apoplectic

- With MIA and the home opener coming up, is this team mature enough to take this effort
and build on it???  Or will they get full of themselves and think they accomplished something   

Great write up as usual, KRL. Hit on most of the things I wanted to read and talk about today. I added my useless thoughts in red up above.

My biggest complaint is on defense. There was guys running wide open, for big chunks. Especially right after halftime for the quick easy score. 

Nickerson and Luvu need to be on the field more. 

My Enunwa prediction is right on track, double digit TDs here we come! Gonna be a monster this year. His YAC ability is just too good.

7 hours ago, KRL said:

Final Thoughts

- Why didn't the booth review the Parry Nickerson almost INT at the end of the half???
It was close enough to give it another look

- With MIA and the home opener coming up, is this team mature enough to take this effort
and build on it???  Or will they get full of themselves and think they accomplished something

This is exactly what i'm wondering -- and will be the TRUE test of new era vs SOJ

53 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But honestly I dont blame Bates for the first play call. Sam has to know to keep the ball there.

The end around on 3rd and 2 is another story. That was horrible

He was on his third read, throwing across his body to the opposite side of the field.  He's got to learn to throw that away.

7 hours ago, KRL said:

The season couldn't have started any worse and I'm sure the trolls
were out in full force after the pick 6.  But what a turnaround that
led to an encouraging 48-17 win against DET.  Let's take a look:

General Notes

- Two impressive runs by the Jets, after the pick 6 they outscored
DET 48-10 the rest of the game.  And after DET tied the game at 17
they outscored them 31-0

- Good to see the penalties cleaned up and not have a negative impact

- How great was it to hear the J-E-T-S chant in a quiet dome at the
end of the game???

Special Teams

- A perfect night for Jason Myers and Lachlan Edwards.  Myers will need
a leg massage for all the PAT's, KO's and FG's he kicked.  And Edwards
barely broke a sweat as he punted three times all game

- What a shock to finally see a returner flip field position and be
an actual weapon.  Terrific game by Andre Roberts with three huge punt
returns (70+ yards, 40+ yards & 15+ yards) and a TD.  What a pleasure to
see someone not muff punts or lose yardage

Defense

- Excellent defensive effort, holding DET to 10 points in their building
is not easy.  Add in FIVE INT's and a pick 6 and you had the crowd booing
and leaving early

- DLine was an absolute wall against the run, holding the "improved" DET
running game to 39 yards.  And even though they got no sacks, they had constant
pressure on Matthew Stafford which led to rushed throws and INT's.  Credit
to Steve McLendon and Henry Anderson as they screwed up DET OLine schemes
with constant penetration.  In fact Anderson caused the Darron Lee pick 6
because he was in Stafford's lap

- The LB's gave the DLine excellent support in stopping the run.  Avery 
Williamson was the enforcer but unlike David Harris and Demario Davis he
provides speed.  Frankie Luvu had a good debut as he had multiple TFL's and
batted a pass down at the line.  And Darron Lee finally had an impact game
worthy of a #1 pick with two INT's and a pick 6.  And each pick gives you 
hope that maybe he's learning.  The first one he disguised his coverage then
jumped the route for the pick 6.  And on the second one he dropped to the
proper depth in zone coverage and snatched it out of the air

- The secondary was off the charts.  As they covered, tackled, showed great hands
on INT's and displayed depth when players had to leave to be checked for injuries.
Credit to Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine and particularly Jamal Adams.  Adams
had a total game as he was excellent in run support, bringing edge pressure,
coverage and finally got his first pick.  In addition people need to recognize 
his ability to diagnose what the offense is doing and putting himself or his
teammates in proper position

Offense

pushed us out of FG range.  Other than that how could you complain?

- The OLine was excellent in both phases and controlled Ziggy Ansah.  Who cares
if he got a sack, Ansah did his normal thing in getting a "stat", having no
impact then getting injured.  People need to start watching the OLine play and
stop repeating the narrative that they're shaky.  The zone blocking scheme was
devastating and Sam Darnold was kept clean.  Credit to the TE's Eric Tomlinson,
Neal Sterling and Chris Herndon for their help in sealing the edges of DET defense

- Welcome back Quincy Enunwa as he was solid in his first game back.  He provides
the offense with flexibility, makes tough catches and runs "angry".  Good to see
Sam Darnold and Robby Anderson connect on the 40 yard TD.  And Anderson showed strong
hands in ripping the ball away from the safety.  Finally Terrelle Pryor also was
solid in his reps, once Jermaine Kearse gets healthy this will be a dangerous WR
corps

- Isaiah Crowell and Bilal Powell were excellent as a tandem (22 rushes / 160 yards).
And Powell was incredible in blitz pickup putting LB's on the ground multiple times

- Sam Darnold's awful start displayed one of his best traits, being a "flatliner".
His ability to shrug off the pick 6 allowed the team to stabilize the game and change
momentum.  Because how many times have Jet fans seen Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith commit
turnovers and go straight into the toilet???  Once the INT was out of his system Darnold
went right back to being accurate, mobile and making good decisions.  What a strange
feeling to actually have confidence in your QB

Final Thoughts

It was close enough to give it another look

lots of stuff here, so I obviously will not speak to every point but:

1) the two bad offensive calls - I thought the same thing.  other than that?  DAAAMN!  I mean 3rd and 2 in Detroit territory.  any JETS team I know would have run there.  uh uh.  41 yard TD!!!  are you kidding me???  and how many Jets games did can you remember sitting there with over 6 minutes left in THE THIRD QUARTER that the game was over?  it was a nice feeling.  and the Jets didn't just do the ol' "hand the ball off up the middle" to eat clock.

2) continuing with that point:  the yards per rush is also skewed because while they didn't just run, run run, punt, we did have the lead, and Detroit KNEW we would be rushing!  my point is, I'm sure those rushing averages were brought down after the huge lead.

3) your final thought:  this is not Rex's JETS.  I don't think this is a team that gets full of themselves.  they may get crazy excited for the home opener and make some silly mistakes, but I do NOT see them taking the fins for granted.  I'm going to the game, so I sure as hell hope they don't!!!

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

It's pretty obvious to see that it was a designed roll out to the right with a designed throw back. They were trying to catch the Lions off guard and we're hoping they would over commit to the right and they didn't. It was a great play by their defense.

If Darnold leads him upfield instead of trying to muscle the throw, that could have been 6 points the other way.  LOVED the play call, not so much the result. 

If anyone watches the replay pass along your thoughts on #55 Attaochu. In the limited reps I saw of him I thought he was getting good pressure. One play he put a great spin move on the RT and hit Stafford just as he was releasing the pass. He and Luvu could form a good DPR duo.

8 hours ago, KRL said:

With MIA and the home opener coming up, is this team mature enough to take this effort

Great analysis as always KRL

IMO this is the next test for this team. Let’s see how this team comes out for the home opener. Luckily for us we have a QB that has ice water in his veins....even in a blowout on the road he was as even keeled as can be. I hope the rest of the team doesn’t have a hangover against a Phins team with Tannehill back and can very well beat us....

8 hours ago, KRL said:

Offense

pushed us out of FG range
.  Other than that how could you complain?

-

Watching it live, you could see it coming because of Anderson's movement.  He completely gave it away, his turn was enlongated. I am not sure how much is on the design and what is on the execution by anderson

Few add-on thoughts.

1) Nickerson was a rookie in his first game.  Even if he showed off a little, there was nothing worthy of a call.  Ref has to let that slide and the league should review that situation with refs, especially in comparison to other situations (like the Gronk one mentioned earlier) where no call was made.  Now that there are full-time refs, there is no excuse for glaring inconsistency across the league.  Get that shit right, NFL.

2) Robby's sweep.  At one point, it was obvious he wasn't getting back to the LOS.  Why not just throw it away.  Seems to me that part of the play design is for the WR to know when it's busted and just get rid of the ball.  Instead he ran into a tackle for a big loss.  Anyone have insight on that?

3) @KRL(or anyone): Did anyone see Nathan Shephard last night?  I don't recall it and am wondering if he was in much and involved in any plays?  No tackles but was he clogging lanes at least?  Did Anderson get his reps?

4) I cannot say enough about the OLine and the Punt Return units.  These were both looking like dumpster fires based on pre-season and then out of nowhere, they both perform like playoff-caliber units.  Even the kicking was perfect so we could just say all of Special Teams.  If this continues (and it's a big if for now) then this team can have high aspirations for this season.  

32 minutes ago, C Mart said:

If anyone watches the replay pass along your thoughts on #55 Attaochu. In the limited reps I saw of him I thought he was getting good pressure. One play he put a great spin move on the RT and hit Stafford just as he was releasing the pass. He and Luvu could form a good DPR duo.

Agree

Liked the Attaochu signing when it happened.  If he stays healthy they may have found a player 

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Actually, yes you are nitpicking.  

1 hour ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I am VERY critical of Lee and Adams but could not be happier last night. I honestly think they both needed confidence builders and last night couldn’t have gone any better.

Lee’s face was stone cold after his first pick. He didn’t get overly excited and kept playing better. He had a shaky start though. So there are areas of his game that need to be worked on or “masked” through scheme.

Adams looked great in coverage which I can’t believe I’m saying. Not even the INT but he has some awesome pass breakups and didn’t look “out of control” or panicked when he made those plays. His run blitzing was also awesome. 

If these 2 can just settle in and calm down while they play, I think they can do well this year. Week - confidence boost is honestly what they need to take a next step. 

For alot of players, they are as good as the scheme they play in.  

Lee seemed better when the Jets were ahead and they knew the Lions would pass.  He needs to play in space.  

We know Adams can play football.  If there are corners covering WRs, he can do what he does best.  

If I am a Jet opponent, I am attacking the middle of the field in the early part of the game-run and short pass, and seeing if Lee can stop it.  

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Henry Anderson was a big difference maker last night.  We got pressure not having to blitz a number of times and low and behold, turnovers.  That might be one of macs best moves of an off season.  It also makes me want to spit in mo wilks coffee all the more.

Yep

Was all over Stafford on the Lee pick 6.

Macc has his faults, but taking the Seattle and Indy trades into account...he essentially turned Sheldon Richardson and a 2nd round pick into Sam Darnold, Jermaine Kearse, and Henry Anderson.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

For alot of players, they are as good as the scheme they play in.  

Lee seemed better when the Jets were ahead and they knew the Lions would pass.  He needs to play in space.  

We know Adams can play football.  If there are corners covering WRs, he can do what he does best.  

If I am a Jet opponent, I am attacking the middle of the field in the early part of the game-run and short pass, and seeing if Lee can stop it.  

If you attack the middle of the field, Darron Lee will eat your lunch LOL. 

WTF did I just say?! And now I know I'm in Bizarro world.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think the biggest surprise for me was the special teams -- Andre Roberts was great, as was the blocking. Not only a punt return TD but a few other good returns that helped flip field position. Our STs have been atrocious since Westhoff left, glad to see them make a positive impact tonight.

Yup.  Especially after the dumpster fire that we saw on Special Teams in the pre-season.  Great job all around.  Last season, it took us 11 games and 27 punt returns to net 137 return yards.  Last night, Andre Roberts did that on 3 returns.

Add to that 9 kickoffs from Jason Myers, and 3 punts from Lac Edwards.  Lions had 0 return yardage.  I don't expect them all to be like last night, but that sure was fun.

Archived