Game Observations (DET)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The season couldn't have started any worse and I'm sure the trolls were out in full force after the pick 6.  But what a turnaround that led to an encouraging 48-17 win against DET.  Let's take a l

Lol he did nothing that warranted the call . Refs made a bad call on that one 

Nickerson play needed to be a booth review. Inside 2 minutes. 

I have been a Bowles supporter here so I have to point this out. The TD pass to Tate had to have been a busted coverage. It felt like 3 players were wide open. That has to be cleaned up or call a TO. Jets handed the Lions 7 points there to tie it up and I was very frustrated seeing that.

- I knew nothing of Crowell before signing with the Jets but I am very impressed with what he's shown in preseason and game 1. Saw a physical runner in the preseason but was stunned to see him running away from defenders for a long run.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

I agree 100% about the Nickerson interception in the end zone. What better time to challenge than on a very close play with DET in FG range.

How about Bowles look throughout the game? Not sure if it's the first time kids see disneyworld look but I imagine hes dreaming about becoming the next Bill Belichick right now.

Awesome start to the season! 

Couldnt challenge.

1 hour ago, peebag said:

He was on his third read, throwing across his body to the opposite side of the field.  He's got to learn to throw that away.

He said he thought he had the play and as soon as he let it go he saw the defender, too late.  Best part is when he said he knew he wouldnt throw another pick

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, KRL said:

Post game locker room video, McLendon doesn't get "sexy" stats but he and
McCown are important leaders:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/all-access-the-winning-locker-room-speech-at-detroit

This is great

"gimme your ears one more time..we believe this...we gotta go 1-0 next week..we home. let's take it home. come in wednesday ready to work." 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I have been a Bowles supporter here so I have to point this out. The TD pass to Tate had to have been a busted coverage. It felt like 3 players were wide open. That has to be cleaned up or call a TO. Jets handed the Lions 7 points there to tie it up and I was very frustrated seeing that.

- I knew nothing of Crowell before signing with the Jets but I am very impressed with what he's shown in preseason and game 1. Saw a physical runner in the preseason but was stunned to see him running away from defenders for a long run.

He showed really good speed on that.  I did not think he that.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Few add-on thoughts.

1) Nickerson was a rookie in his first game.  Even if he showed off a little, there was nothing worthy of a call.  Ref has to let that slide and the league should review that situation with refs, especially in comparison to other situations (like the Gronk one mentioned earlier) where no call was made.  Now that there are full-time refs, there is no excuse for glaring inconsistency across the league.  Get that sh*t right, NFL.

2) Robby's sweep.  At one point, it was obvious he wasn't getting back to the LOS.  Why not just throw it away.  Seems to me that part of the play design is for the WR to know when it's busted and just get rid of the ball.  Instead he ran into a tackle for a big loss.  Anyone have insight on that?

3) @KRL(or anyone): Did anyone see Nathan Shephard last night?  I don't recall it and am wondering if he was in much and involved in any plays?  No tackles but was he clogging lanes at least?  Did Anderson get his reps?

4) I cannot say enough about the OLine and the Punt Return units.  These were both looking like dumpster fires based on pre-season and then out of nowhere, they both perform like playoff-caliber units.  Even the kicking was perfect so we could just say all of Special Teams.  If this continues (and it's a big if for now) then this team can have high aspirations for this season.  

We can say sh*t now???

2 hours ago, peebag said:

He was on his third read, throwing across his body to the opposite side of the field.  He's got to learn to throw that away.

That was a designed play ... Int falls as much on ... If not more so ... On Bates

Love your Observations, man!  Great thread as always.  A few thoughts based on the OP....

Sam Darnold and Parry Nickerson both had very forgettable first plays.  The Pick 6 INT and then Parry's unsportsmanlike conduct for taunting.  I think both guys "buried the football" after those plays.  Nickerson looked pretty good in limited action and I agree with @KRL, why wasn't that INT at the end of the Half reviewed?  I thought he got the second toe inbounds.

On offense the thing I loved most was balance.  Balance between the run and pass.  Balance between the RBs, Powell and Crowell.  Balance between the pass catchers as we got the TE position involved a little and Darnold seemed to go through his progressions well.  When Kearse returns I think he'll combine with Enunwa to give Darnold two very capable, veteran WRs who run precise routes and have good hands.  Our 3 WR sets with Anderson, Enunwa and Kearse could be devastating for a group that is very under the radar.  Great complementary skills and attributes there. Each guy brings something different.

On defense I'm not quite sure what to make of their abundant and unexpected success.  I've heard the "Jets picked up the signs" talk and I do think that helped, but the D showed solid play at every level.  If the passrush can just be average, that's all....just average....I think the Secondary will hold up and frustrate opposing pass offenses.  The Run D was lights out and IMO (and this may be unpopular), it has more to do with the guys behind the DLine than the DLine itself.  Yes, McClendon was a force and Leo, Anderson, etc. held up well against the run but both Avery Williamson and Jamal Adams will be the keys to our run defense.  Again, just my opinion.  Teams will have a very tough time running on us and we have enough run-oriented defenders that we'll be able to "mask" a faster, but undersized guy like Darron Lee.

Final thought...

Almost EVERYTHING we worried about last year and in the offseason turned out to be a non-issue in Game 1.  The offensive line, Special Teams, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, even the passrush......all were great.  It was truly unbelievable.

15 minutes ago, ljr said:

That was a designed play ... Int falls as much on ... If not more so ... On Bates

Doesnt matter if its a called play or not, if its covered you dont throw it.  He didnt see the coverage until it was too late.  Happens, dont need to blame someone else.  

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

On offense the thing I loved most was balance.  Balance between the run and pass.  Balance between the RBs, Powell and Crowell.  Balance between the pass catchers as we got the TE position involved

Bowles complaint about Morton was that this didn't exist a year ago.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, varjet said:
  • It’s good that Luvu was finally put on the 53, because it appeared he played a lot and was impactful.  So was the other new EDGE guy whose name I can’t spell.
  • Lee was looking like Lee in the first half, and I saw him bounce off a couple of tackles.  But the Jets appeared to get how to play him-in space-and then he played obviously great-like how he was drafted to play.  If he can keep that up he will make himself a lot of money.
  • I like how Anderson was used, other than that sweep that we hopefully never see again.  
  • Can we extend Enunwa please?  If Mac waits until off season he will get burned.
  • Adams was used like he was supposed to-he was in the box, and in the back.  Made plays in both.   He played like he was drafted to play.  
  • I saw many plays with at least 2 TEs on the field, which is why the Jets kept 4 of them.
  • Who gets cut to put Ardarious Stewart on the 53?  I say cut him and Practice Squad.  
  • I like the outside running.  I thought I was watching USC from the 1970s.  
  • The Dolphins are beatable.  Need to notch that win.  
  • Other than the first play, I don’t think you watch the game and see a rookie QB.

If you cut Stewart some team will claim him. Have another week before a decision needs to be made. However, Pierre-Louis comes off suspension today (as does Dante Fowler).  

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Im not nitpicking at all, but with respect to throwing down the field - on the Robby TD, he was wide open, and had Darnold thrown that to the back pylon it was a cake walk.  I dont think its an arm strength thing, but that ball needs to be thrown for Robby to run and get it, and not give the DB a chance

It IS nit picking. Just enjoy the win.

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Nickerson. Derrick Jones .Less experience, but very skilled.

So is Robinson. I see Nickerson more of an inside guy.

I’d rather release Burris or Roberts (maybe Mcc can put together a deal to include Burris or Roberts w/a WR for a ‘19 pick) 

5 hours ago, genot said:

Robinson or Leggett will get cut loose. We have 3 UFA Wide receivers. One of them we will let walk.

Who is Robinson?  Rashard?  He is suspended 4 games, but Stewart is only suspended 2.  They will have to make a decision on Stewart first.

57 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I hope it's not Deontay Burnett.  

I am not sure why Burnett gets so much love on here.  When I listed him as a reason that Darnold had more than "nothing" in college I was told he was nobody.  Burnett is on the practice squad and to take his slot Stewart would still have to be waived.

44 minutes ago, C Mart said:

It'd be crazy to cut Robinson. He's a better backup for TJohnson / MoClai than Roberts

I think Roberts is the most underrated Jet.  I think he is decent.  He has better athleticism than any of them.  People are in love with Nickerson because of his 40, but Roberts is just as fast and longer.  PFF rates Roberts as about average and Robinson has had done nothing with plenty of opportunities.  Robinson is a penalty machine with character issues.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Doesnt matter if its a called play or not, if its covered you dont throw it.  He didnt see the coverage until it was too late.  Happens, dont need to blame someone else.  

It is possible that he could have placed the throw differently, but any QB waiting to see if a play is covered is doomed.  That is when it is too late.  Literally.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is possible that he could have placed the throw differently, but any QB waiting to see if a play is covered is doomed.  That is when it is too late.  Literally.

Totally agree.  As Darnold said, he didnt see the defender initially and as he was throwing it he saw the defender out of the corner of his eye but it was too late.  I would think if he saw the coverage earlies he would have thrown it differently, more over the top would have helped.  

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Im not nitpicking at all, but with respect to throwing down the field - on the Robby TD, he was wide open, and had Darnold thrown that to the back pylon it was a cake walk.  I dont think its an arm strength thing, but that ball needs to be thrown for Robby to run and get it, and not give the DB a chance

Robby Anderson is very fast. This is probably mostly an issue of Sam getting used to throwing to a full-speed Anderson. The long ball isn't his specialty, either. All in all, a very good first long attempt considering that he was taking what the defense gave him for every throw before that. 

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Who is Robinson?  Rashard?  He is suspended 4 games, but Stewart is only suspended 2.  They will have to make a decision on Stewart first.

I am not sure why Burnett gets so much love on here.  When I listed him as a reason that Darnold had more than "nothing" in college I was told he was nobody.  Burnett is on the practice squad and to take his slot Stewart would still have to be waived.

I think Roberts is the most underrated Jet.  I think he is decent.  He has better athleticism than any of them.  People are in love with Nickerson because of his 40, but Roberts is just as fast and longer.  PFF rates Roberts as about average and Robinson has had done nothing with plenty of opportunities.  Robinson is a penalty machine with character issues.  

I forgot Robinson is on a 4 game suspension. Maybe Burris gets the axe.

5 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Darnold made that entire play possible . His shoulder fake got the safety to bite . Which helped Robbie even get open .  It’s Robby job to make plays on 50/50 balls that’s exactly what he did . 

^This.  The past criticism that Robby can't/doesn't win contested balls can, hopefully, be put to rest.  He won that battle.  It was nice to see.  I cared more than he won the 50/50 than his getting the TD.  There will be many more of these to come.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

He showed really good speed on that.  I did not think he that.

Cleveland never used Crowell correctly.  Very good FA signing by Mac.  

3 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

I've been a big Crowell fan. I love the fact, that like Matt Forte, he is an excellent receiver out of the backfield. But I must say even I was impressed when he out ran those defensive backs on that TD run.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Will agree to disagree with you ... All good tho

• Upvote 1
59 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Totally agree.  As Darnold said, he didnt see the defender initially and as he was throwing it he saw the defender out of the corner of his eye but it was too late.  I would think if he saw the coverage earlies he would have thrown it differently, more over the top would have helped.  

A lot of people have said this, so I'm probably wrong, but I thought the opposite.  He threw a bit of a rainbow, perfectly placed for the RB, but it gave the DB time to run in and get it.  I thought if he threw it with more zip the DB might not have had time to get there.

Watching it again, though, I guess it's not clear.  Look at around 32 seconds in this video:

43 minutes ago, Dcat said:

^This.  The past criticism that Robby can't/doesn't win contested balls can, hopefully, be put to rest.  He won that battle.  It was nice to see.  I cared more than he won the 50/50 than his getting the TD.  There will be many more of these to come.

Has that been a criticism of Anderson's? I've always found him to be an amazing 50-50 ball winner, in addition to his deep speed. If Anderson can improve his short/intermediate routes he can be a WR1 in the league. 

• Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Has that been a criticism of Anderson's? I've always found him to be an amazing 50-50 ball winner, in addition to his deep speed. If Anderson can improve his short/intermediate routes he can be a WR1 in the league. 

Scouting reports mostly questioned strength.  I took it in terms of getting off jams, but some may have seen it as a problem for 50-50 balls.  The draft wire guy mentioned it, but not Zierlein on NFL.com who seemed to think he wasn't going to time well.  Hah.

1 hour ago, genot said:

I forgot Robinson is on a 4 game suspension. Maybe Burris gets the axe.

The Patriots are desperate for WRs.  They took Coleman and dropped Hansen.

They would take Stewart if we cut him, at least for awhile.  

33 minutes ago, thshadow said:

A lot of people have said this, so I'm probably wrong, but I thought the opposite.  He threw a bit of a rainbow, perfectly placed for the RB, but it gave the DB time to run in and get it.  I thought if he threw it with more zip the DB might not have had time to get there.

Watching it again, though, I guess it's not clear.  Look at around 32 seconds in this video:

Get what youre saying.  I was thinking higher, deeper.  No matter, didnt work so...