Game Observations (DET)

KRL

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

If you cut Stewart some team will claim him. Have another week before a decision needs to be made. However, Pierre-Louis comes off suspension today (as does Dante Fowler).  

Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73)

9/11/18, 3:09 PM

Bowles said #Jets had no injuries of note. ... Says they'll make decision on Kevin Pierre-Louis, who served 1-game suspension, by tomorrow.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ljr said:

Agree on it being a step under thrown...but imagine how we'd be talking right now if he went back pylon & it was a touch overthrown 

They will get their timing down as they play together more. He has to realize that Robby has JETS and afterburners. 

11 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I will also add this. A lot of Colts fans were unhappy when they traded Henry Anderson to us for a 7th round pick.

Yesterday we found out why. He got consistent pressure on Stafford. 

He seems like a throw back defensive lineman, like Jerry philbin or mark lomas, but maybe it's just because he's white

12 hours ago, lawyers guns and money said:

On a side note, has there been any explanation on the Tate touchdown? I have not seen anything. 

I didn't catch all of it but I think it was the sny post game someone said the safeties and linebackers didn't communicate, both linebackers rushed and a safety was supposed to cover behind them. Not sure who the culprit was but it was probably 2 or 3 guys 

18 hours ago, KRL said:

It seems like Bowles has given up calling the defense, if he has give
Kacy Rodgers credit.  Because the defense was prepared, fast, communicated
well and attacked Stafford all night

Rodgers getting credit on this forum? This must be a dream!

Darnold can make anything happen!

On 9/11/2018 at 2:01 AM, KRL said:

The season couldn't have started any worse and I'm sure the trolls
were out in full force after the pick 6.  But what a turnaround that
led to an encouraging 48-17 win against DET.  Let's take a look:

General Notes

- Two impressive runs by the Jets, after the pick 6 they outscored
DET 48-10 the rest of the game.  And after DET tied the game at 17
they outscored them 31-0

- Good to see the penalties cleaned up and not have a negative impact

- How great was it to hear the J-E-T-S chant in a quiet dome at the
end of the game???

Special Teams

- A perfect night for Jason Myers and Lachlan Edwards.  Myers will need
a leg massage for all the PAT's, KO's and FG's he kicked.  And Edwards
barely broke a sweat as he punted three times all game

- What a shock to finally see a returner flip field position and be
an actual weapon.  Terrific game by Andre Roberts with three huge punt
returns (70+ yards, 40+ yards & 15+ yards) and a TD.  What a pleasure to
see someone not muff punts or lose yardage

Defense

- Excellent defensive effort, holding DET to 10 points in their building
is not easy.  Add in FIVE INT's and a pick 6 and you had the crowd booing
and leaving early

- DLine was an absolute wall against the run, holding the "improved" DET
running game to 39 yards.  And even though they got no sacks, they had constant
pressure on Matthew Stafford which led to rushed throws and INT's.  Credit
to Steve McLendon and Henry Anderson as they screwed up DET OLine schemes
with constant penetration.  In fact Anderson caused the Darron Lee pick 6
because he was in Stafford's lap

- The LB's gave the DLine excellent support in stopping the run.  Avery 
Williamson was the enforcer but unlike David Harris and Demario Davis he
provides speed.  Frankie Luvu had a good debut as he had multiple TFL's and
batted a pass down at the line.  And Darron Lee finally had an impact game
worthy of a #1 pick with two INT's and a pick 6.  And each pick gives you 
hope that maybe he's learning.  The first one he disguised his coverage then
jumped the route for the pick 6.  And on the second one he dropped to the
proper depth in zone coverage and snatched it out of the air

- The secondary was off the charts.  As they covered, tackled, showed great hands
on INT's and displayed depth when players had to leave to be checked for injuries.
Credit to Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine and particularly Jamal Adams.  Adams
had a total game as he was excellent in run support, bringing edge pressure,
coverage and finally got his first pick.  In addition people need to recognize 
his ability to diagnose what the offense is doing and putting himself or his
teammates in proper position

Offense

- Two strange calls by Jeremy Bates that I have to bring up.  The first was the
pick 6 which to me was a little much for a rookie QB's first throw in the pros.
The second was the Robby Anderson reverse on 3rd and 2 which led to a loss and
pushed us out of FG range.  Other than that how could you complain?

- The OLine was excellent in both phases and controlled Ziggy Ansah.  Who cares
if he got a sack, Ansah did his normal thing in getting a "stat", having no
impact then getting injured.  People need to start watching the OLine play and
stop repeating the narrative that they're shaky.  The zone blocking scheme was
devastating and Sam Darnold was kept clean.  Credit to the TE's Eric Tomlinson,
Neal Sterling and Chris Herndon for their help in sealing the edges of DET defense

- Welcome back Quincy Enunwa as he was solid in his first game back.  He provides
the offense with flexibility, makes tough catches and runs "angry".  Good to see
Sam Darnold and Robby Anderson connect on the 40 yard TD.  And Anderson showed strong
hands in ripping the ball away from the safety.  Finally Terrelle Pryor also was
solid in his reps, once Jermaine Kearse gets healthy this will be a dangerous WR
corps

- Isaiah Crowell and Bilal Powell were excellent as a tandem (22 rushes / 160 yards).
And Powell was incredible in blitz pickup putting LB's on the ground multiple times

- Sam Darnold's awful start displayed one of his best traits, being a "flatliner".
His ability to shrug off the pick 6 allowed the team to stabilize the game and change
momentum.  Because how many times have Jet fans seen Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith commit
turnovers and go straight into the toilet???  Once the INT was out of his system Darnold
went right back to being accurate, mobile and making good decisions.  What a strange
feeling to actually have confidence in your QB

Final Thoughts

- Why didn't the booth review the Parry Nickerson almost INT at the end of the half???
It was close enough to give it another look

- With MIA and the home opener coming up, is this team mature enough to take this effort
and build on it???  Or will they get full of themselves and think they accomplished something   

Thanks for this.  Being unable to watch the game due to Rosh Hashanah, the two best things to me (other than the overall result) were hearing that Darnold started with a pick-6 (bouncing back from that answers any lingering questions about his ability to deal with adversity when the real bullets start flying) and the OL report.  I watched the 12 minute game recap and was encouraged by the line play and lack of sacks (1 of Ansah's came on a miscommunication between Beachum and Carp when he stunted, which is livable given Beachum missed the preseason), but didn't know if the highlights were representative.  Glad to hear they were.  I'd also add that, based on the highlights, Winters & Shell were getting real push on run plays, as well.

16 hours ago, varjet said:

The Patriots are desperate for WRs.  They took Coleman and dropped Hansen.

They would take Stewart if we cut him, at least for awhile.  

Please don't tell me you want Stewart cut. Please. My opinion is that we resign Enunwa, and Pryor. We let Kearse walk, with Stewart replacing him. I have no facts to back this up. Just a gut feeling on what their thinking.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, nico002 said:

The play is designed to go across the field. The narrative that’s is a no no is BS- ive seen it many times, it was a designed play- Darnold should have thrown it over the defender or gone to his second option but he said he was too excited to hit the play.

Yeah, I agree. it was a designed play to throw across the field, which seemed a little much. And with predictable results. That said, Jeremy Bates is 18 times the play caller the last guy was.

10 hours ago, genot said:

Please don't tell me you want Stewart cut. Please. My opinion is that we resign Enunwa, and Pryor. We let Kearse walk, with Stewart replacing him. I have no facts to back this up. Just a gut feeling on what their thinking.

What has Stewart done to warrant this adoration? He's a one-trick pony, the Jet sweep. He isn't a punt returner or a particular burner. He's just a shrimp who has done nothing his entire Jets career.

10 hours ago, genot said:

I would prefer Burnett as Darnold has some history with him.

Things that were awesome about this game:

1. the Secondary: I mean, when Johnson is the worst performer...wow!!

2. Special Teams: people talk about the Andre, but how about the blocking: Peake and others? And the kicking game, no stupid plays, no miscues, although a couple of PATs were just inside the posts ;-)

3. Whenever Detroit scored, WE scored right back, especially after Detroit scored first in the second half. Let's face it, how many of us (myself included) were thinking "here we go again...another lead blown and road loss"? Well, when the Jets scored right back, I was like "this is not my Same Old Jets!!"

Finally, I believe the Jets have their franchise QB. But even with McCown numbers, the entire Jets team won going away. That said, if they don't win this Sunday, I'm back to being a skeptic...

Archived