Darnolds pick 6.. what was your first honest reaction??

southparkcpa

I laughed when it happened...but still believed in all this kid had shown us.

I received some texts from my daughter and brother, and told them both... "It's all up from here"

And I like what Bates did but that call and the Robbie anderson end around had me a little worried.  Can't ask the kid to make an against the grain throw for his first throw... let him throw a deep ball or just hand it off, but I do think it calmed him...as crazy as that sounds. 

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

OK...  Ill start. His first pass a pick 6.  What did you really think?

It aint sexy but I laughed my arse off and said welcome to the JETS!!!!

But deep down this kid has shown REAL talent and I felt confident that it would be a real

motivator for him.

GO JETS!!!!!!

That it can only get better from there. Was extremely happy with his performance. EXTREMELY!!!

3 minutes ago, Jetstream said:

I laughed when it happened...but still believed in all this kid had shown us.

I received some texts from my daughter and brother, and told them both... "It's all up from here"

And I like what Bates did but that call and the Robbie anderson end around had me a little worried.  Can't ask the kid to make an against the grain throw for his first throw... let him throw a deep ball or just hand it off, but I do think it calmed him...as crazy as that sounds. 

This was my reaction as well. I was shocked. But I believe in this kid and in the coaching staff. Especially Bates. I think Bates and Darnold are a perfect match. He definitely asked a lot from him yesterday but it shows how much they believe in Darnold. So I’m expecting more positives than negatives from Darnold this year. 

These were my exact thoughts and immediately after the play posted these words in our Game Thread:

"Wow. 1st career play is an INT and a Pick-6. Just wow. With that said it's now time to see how he responds to adversity. Recover, respond and win the game and it'll become a grain of salt. But not the way to start our season off..."

I wasn't happy but I was eager to see how the kid would respond to adversity and how'd he recover thereafter. 

And that he did.

Kept his head up, never lost confidence or poise and absolutely recovered and responded in an absolute big time way.

And most importantly and unlike a young Mark Sanchez would do; he didn't soak in his own misery with his head down and shoulders slouched on the bench but instead was Sam Darnold, learned from his mistakes and never made that same mistake again. 

I really couldn't have been more proud of that kid while watching the game unfold last night. 

But deep down this kid has shown REAL talent and I felt confident that it would be a real

motivator for him.

GO JETS!!!!!!

I thought "well, that was Jetsy, lol".

Didn't really give it more than that in terms of thought, was no reason to get all bent out of shape on one pass with a whole game still to go tbqh.

motivator for him.

GO JETS!!!!!!

I was devastated.  I mean FIRST EVER THROW IN THE NFL, and it's a Pick 6?  are you kidding me?  I could just see all my idiot giants fan friends and family laughing their a$$es off.  luckily, we got the last laugh!!

13 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I thought, when he makes the hall of fame, we can look back and laugh that his first pass was a pick 6

I said the same thing (but after we had a lead) - "20 years from now, when people are talking about the QB who got the Jets 5 SBs (I wish!) they will say he started his career with a pick 6"

Mark Sanchez 2.0 ? Lol no jk..If people have been paying attention, the common thing about darnold has been said about him many times from college coaches, scouts, jets staff/McCown. This guy bounces right back after a mistake without it letting it bother him for a second. If it was only Todd Bowles saying that I’d be worried. But everyone had said it, why I wasn’t worried. Sam Darnold is definitely no mark Sanchez 

5 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I said the same thing (but after we had a lead) - "20 years from now, when people are talking about the QB who got the Jets 5 SBs (I wish!) they will say he started his career with a pick 6"

I was thinking something similar... this will be a trivia question someday.  His 1st TD pass was for the other team.  

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I was thinking something similar... this will be a trivia question someday.  His 1st TD pass was for the other team.  

My son (11 years old) is a HUGE Teddy Bridgewater fan.  He is a Jets fan, but is VERY bitter they got rid of Teddy B.  so he is like talking smack to me the whole night!  "sam Darnold threw 3 TD passes"  I said he only threw two.  "well 2 to the Jets, but 1 to the Lions"

wise a$$

Disappointed, but surprisingly unphased. I don't say that to pat myself on the back though, because I'm wrong probably more often than I'm right. For example, I definitely expected the Jets to lose this game.

But I just got the sense watching the preseason alone that Darnold was different than any of the young QBs we've had in a long time. He carries himself like someone who knows what he's doing out there. So even if there's a couple mistakes, I still tend to trust him for now.

My thoughts at the time; classic "same old" Jets - did not need to throw him out there like that, may regret trading Bridgewater for peanuts, but hey at least it was not a butt fumble

Then Sam reacted like a Pro and that showed me he could finally be the FQB this team has missed since Joe - great comeback win

Archived