Are we that good or are the Lions that bad?

EM31

Or is it a bit of both?

Personally I think the stingy defense is real and even with an offense that was operating at last year's level I think we are a significantly improved.  If the offense is consistently better than last year then I think we could be off to the races.

Detroit fans may be in for a long year and even with that, almost everything that could go wrong for them last night did go wrong.

If we back up last night's performance this weekend against the fins then my own 8-8 prediction would change to one where we are in the conversation for a wild card pretty much all year long. 

10-6?

We're not as good as we were last night, and the Lions aren't nearly as bad as they were last night.  It was simply a perfect storm type of game.

.....But who cares?  We still look like we might be decent.  And most importantly, Sam Darnold looks legit.  So while I don't expect to win any more 30+ point games the rest of this season, I do expect to beat Miami next week by about a touchdown. 

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Who cares?

Just enjoy it 

Was about to say the same thing.  Had a great time watching the game last night in a bar packed with Jet fans.  Can't wait until Sunday.  Just gonna enjoy the ride and see how the rest of the season plays out.

I don't think the JETS are THAT good....

but no way the Lions are "bad".  I mean before this week, NO ONE gave the Jets a shot to win this game.  I didn't even see a lot of people take them with the 7 points!  

typically, what we would see this morning is: "yeah they won BUUUUT...it's the lions and they're not that good, and stafford is a below average QB..." blah blah blah.  every time the Jets do something good, you see people minimize it.

thus far today?  I'm not seeing that!  such a good feeling and hopefully an indication of things to come!

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're not as good as we were last night, and the Lions aren't nearly as bad as they were last night.  It was simply a perfect storm type of game.

.....But who cares?  We still look like we might be decent.  And most importantly, Sam Darnold looks legit.  So while I don't expect to win any more 30+ point games the rest of this season, I do expect to beat Miami next week by about a touchdown. 

CTM and I both stated we got worried in the second half we shot our entire load for the season of big plays. 

Both 

The lions didn't look prepared and they ran it too much even before the game got out of hand. 

Let Stafford throw it 

The Jets were flying around and made the most of every chance they got, didn't drop interceptions or passes. 

We play the browns in 2 weeks

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

CTM and I both stated we got worried in the second half we shot our entire load for the season of big plays. 

I think our defense will mostly revert back to one that has difficulty getting to the QB and getting turnovers.  But it won't be as bad as past years.  There are some athletes on this defense. 

The offense, meanwhile, will be legit, as long as the offensive line doesn't sh*t itself too often.  And that's very exciting. 

We didn't anticipate this team contending this year so at least having one fun game like this is positive. 

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Stafford was a complete disaster and the Lions seemed to quit.  But, we've seen plenty of Jets teams who couldn't take advantage of that.  There's a lot of areas to improve, but this was as good a 1st week as you can ask for.

Exactly.  This game was 17-17 at one point.  Previous Jets teams would have gone 3 & out and given the Lions a chance.  This team drove down for a TD then forced the Lions into a tailspin.  Not too shabby. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

The Browns aren't bad man.  I've been on the Browns bandwagon throughout their rebuilding process, and I don't have that penciled in as a W. 

me neither after they tied the steelers.  plus the fact it's a Thursday, and JETS' 3rd game in 11 days...

but after last night?  I feel a LOT better.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  This game was 17-17 at one point.  Previous Jets teams would have gone 3 & out and given the Lions a chance.  This team drove down for a TD then forced the Lions into a tailspin.  Not too shabby. 

I've been saying this to my JETS fan friends at work all morning.  THAT was the time in the game that gave me hope for years to come.  the JETS teams I have watched for so many many years would have lost right there.  this team?  Sam marches right down the field in 6 plays and takes the lead right back.  THAT is encouraging.

Humbly, I dont think it matters.  The Jets did what they needed to do.  If the Lions are that bad or had a bad game, then the Jets took advantage, and that is not something we have seen for quite some time.  If the Jets are that good, we will find out, and again they took advantage of a bad team, which we havent seen in quite a while.

My point, they did not play down to the level of the team they played, whether that be a good team that played poorly, or a bad team that did what they are going to do all year, or some where in between.

The Jets took advantage, and that was exciting.  At least for one week.

Or is it a bit of both?
Personally I think the stingy defense is real and even with an offense that was operating at last year's level I think we are a significantly improved.  If the offense is consistently better than last year then I think we could be off to the races.
Detroit fans may be in for a long year and even with that, almost everything that could go wrong for them last night did go wrong.
If we back up last night's performance this weekend against the fins then my own 8-8 prediction would change to one where we are in the conversation for a wild card pretty much all year long. 
10-6?

Good question. Here is what was obvious to me. The Jets came ready to play and had an edge. Not rah rah edge, but a BELIEF. They made all of their assignments. They got to the QB. The Lions o line was on their heels the entire game. We smacked them in the mouth in our run game. Both of our backs had a giddy up and hit holes hard. And since Leon Johnson we finally have a return game. We played completely. Do the lions suck? Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, hawk said:

Humbly, I dont think it matters.  The Jets did what they needed to do.  If the Lions are that bad or had a bad game, then the Jets took advantage, and that is not something we have seen for quite some time.  If the Jets are that good, we will find out, and again they took advantage of a bad team, which we havent seen in quite a while.

My point, they did not play down to the level of the team they played, whether that be a good team that played poorly, or a bad team that did what they are going to do all year, or some where in between.

Exactly.  Good teams beat down bad teams.  And I don't even think the Lions are all that bad.  Tate/Jones/Golladay is a helluva WR trio.  We did this with the youngest QB of all-time under center, in Detroit's building on their home opener.

However you splice it, its impressive, and bodes well for the rest of the season.

2 minutes ago, hawk said:

I LOVE how the lions were favored by 7 in this game and we are now talking about how we didn't "play down" to their level.

my how much has changed in 24 hours!!

I'd be totally cool with a W against the Dolphins and tough loss to the Browns on the road. 

If we beat the Dolphins, people are going to be talking about beating the Browns to be 3-0 vs. the Jags.  If we beat the Jags, people are going to talk about how if we beat the Vikings (and how motivated will we be to show up the Cousins, who spurned us?), we'll be headed to New England looking to go 11-0.

8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Stafford was a complete disaster and the Lions seemed to quit.  But, we've seen plenty of Jets teams who couldn't take advantage of that.  There's a lot of areas to improve, but this was as good a 1st week as you can ask for.

When they tied it up at 17-17 I honestly thought ,” oh well here we go again.” 31 unanswered and I said.. ok ok in food coma by then but what a pleasant surprise 

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

If we beat the Dolphins, people are going to be talking about beating the Browns to be 3-0 vs. the Jags.  If we beat the Jags, people are going to talk about how if we beat the Vikings (and how motivated will we be to show up the Cousins, who spurned us?), we'll be headed to New England looking to go 11-0.

that's a little crazy, but I do think if they go in 3-0 vs the Jags...damn I will feel a lot better about a game I certainly had penciled in as an "L".

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

These are NOT your father's Jets. Sam Darnold is the real deal and he will take the Jets where they have not been in a long time.....Respectability and consistently in the playoff / SB hunt. The Lions are as bad as they looked because number one, despite all the improvements to the offense they STILL cannot run the football. Patricia is a fraud as a HC as have been most - if not all - the branches of the Belichick coaching tree. All but Al Groh finished with losing records and so will Patricia.

35 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Or is it a bit of both?

10-6?

The Defense played great and caught every possible INT near abouts, specials played great and scored a TD, Darnold played very well (for his first game in the NFL) and bounced back from that INT great, the Running Game was very very good.

I don't think we get that combination regularly or consistently the rest of the year.

Would be awesome if they did, of course.  

Na, I still see this as a 5-8 win team when all is said and done. 9 if exceptionally lucky.

To be fair, though, they've already eclipsed my expectations through Week 1:  

27 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Or is it a bit of both?

10-6?

Well, kinda both.

The O line looked much better than I thought, and using 2-3 running backs should keep them all from wearing down as the season goes on.   The special teams played literally a perfect game, 3 nice returns, a return for a TD, and 0 yards allowed on returns, while not missing a FG or extra point.   I don't think they will keep up that level of perfection, but after the last few years, seeing good special teams play is great.

The pass rush isn't really there.  Stafford's own lineman hurt his knee.   Some of the other hits were more coverage stuff.   That being said, the D looks much better with a real #1 corner, Claiborne a #2, and Skrine back in the slot, and Adams in his 2nd year.   Can Claiborne stay healthy, that's always been his issue. 

Sam looked pretty damn good and that was exciting. The o-line looked much much better than I had anticipated and again was encouraging. But I think the single most encouraging thing about last night is what I heard after the game. One Defender told a reporter that they knew everything that Stafford was going to do in that game and that they got no surprises when Detroit have the ball. That's coaching and that's already an improvement from last year.

Archived