Brian Baldinger's breakdown of Sam Darnold and Jamal Adams.

6 hours ago, dbatesman said:

By far Adams' best game as a pro. It would be nice if he spent the rest of his career shoving everything I've said about him back in my face.

Sure you do 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not that you posted this for my adulation, but I respect this a lot.  I don't mind who people love or hate or think sucks or whatever.  As long as people(any side of the debate) can give credit when it's deserved, that's all that can be asked for.

I don’t trust him.  I think He  just wants something shoved in his face. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Dude, this might be one of the best threads of the day.

Those are incredible breakdowns.  Jamal Adams was a beast yesterday.  Shut down runs, defended passes, got an INT.  As Baldinger said, they don't test for those kinds of plays at the Combine.

I agree with not being able to test for these plays at the combine. I've always loved Adams dating back to his LSU & SEC days but I knew he was official on the Marshan Lynch tackle. He sprinted sideline to sideline while hawking down Marshawn Lynch, hurtled over two fallen Jet teammates, closed in on and tackled Lynch as if he were a ragdoll. 

You can not test for that type of hunger, drive, motor, determination or heart. #33 is a dog out there. And very competitive by nature he's a natural. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, KRL said:

Every Adams basher needs to watch that breakdown but they won't.  They rather not

educate themselves and keep repeating "safeties shouldn't be drafted high"

I apologize, I was wrong, I just never saw a breakdown and analysis on Adams like what I just saw.  But my initial problem with the pick was wanting a top QB, like Mahomes, a bona fide pass rusher, or some kind of real play maker on offense from a 6th pick in the Nation.

I'd still be feeling that way somewhat if they didn't score the QB who will be the envy of the league over the next decade...Sam Darnold, but after seeing this new analysis I'm now very happy with the Adams pick, and if he reads Offense's like he supposedly does, the guy is invaluable to the D, a tremendous addition.

• Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It is quite a stark contrast on how Jets fans view Adams vs how everyone else views him.

I think most Jets fans liked Adams, just think there was some frustration among some fans with not addressing the offensive side of the ball, particularly QB.  However that is no longer an issue.  

16 hours ago, BCJet said:

Box safety, cant cover, no interceptions, bad pick.

Unless you are being sarcastic, when you are deficient at pass rushing, having a Box safety like Jamal Adams is the next best thing. It puts tremendous pressure on running and passing games because it causes so much disruption. It really requires on O to game plan for the guy by handling him on most plays with various aspects of blocking schemes. From those plays the film showed, you really need a dedicated RB/TE to be taking this guy out of the play, and in the cases where they were trying that it wasn't working as he was still making the plays.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

It’s possible to say Adams had a good game and that safeties shouldn’t be drafted high. Both are true. He flashed some ability last year. He needs to sustain last night’s success for a full season. 

I think everyone needs to realize that maybe LS, K, and P should never be drafted that high, but all other positions are such that players can be very impactful and are worthy of picks that high. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, dbatesman said:

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled is convincing half the people on this website that anyone who takes a dim view of the Jets’ prospects is miserable, or self-loathing, or hates the team, or whatever dumb bullsh*t. I take a dim view of the Jets’ prospects because nine times out of ten that’s the view that turns out to be right. But few things are more gratifying than when it turns out to be wrong.

It's Pascal's lesser known Internet Bragging Rights Wager 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, dbatesman said:

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled is convincing half the people on this website that anyone who takes a dim view of the Jets’ prospects is miserable, or self-loathing, or hates the team, or whatever dumb bullsh*t. I take a dim view of the Jets’ prospects because nine times out of ten that’s the view that turns out to be right. But few things are more gratifying than when it turns out to be wrong.

Exactly. Carrying an umbrella isn’t hoping for rain.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I think everyone needs to realize that maybe LS, K, and P should never be drafted that high, but all other positions are such that players can be very impactful and are worthy of picks that high. 

Exactly!!!  

13 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Except empirical evidence says you’re wrong. 

Empirically, Polamalu, Reed, Taylor would all have been worthy of the sixth overall pick, so you're wrong as a factual matter. The problem is that a safety literally needs to be a hall of fame-caliber performer to justify a pick at that spot, and the likelihood of that, no matter how good your scouting is, is small.

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

It is quite a stark contrast on how Jets fans view Adams vs how everyone else views him.

I “disagree” with your statement (for a lack of a better word).

There’s a stark contrast to how Jets fans ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD view Adams vs. how everyone else does.  National football pundits LOVE the guy, and so does every Jets fan I know personally, including many very knowledgeable ones.  It’s only a few turds on this message board who go out of their way to create negativity around everything he does and says (both on and off the field) and a couple sheep who follow their lead and let them create an opinion for them that they themselves did not previously (or justifiably) have.

Keep being sheep people.  ?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

7 minutes ago, JMJ said:

There’s a stark contrast to how Jets fans ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD view Adams vs. how everyone else does.  National football pundits LOVE the guy, and so does every Jets fan I know personally, including many very knowledgeable ones.  It’s only a few turds on this message board who go out of their way to create negativity around everything he does and says (both on and off the field) and a couple sheep who follow their lead and let them create an opinion for them that they themselves did not previously (or justifiably) have.

Meh, over generalization for sure. I honestly felt his mouth didn’t match his play and I said so many times. I saw the video of him signing an autograph for a special needs fella and noticed a genuine appreciation for him from Jamaal and at that moment appreciated him as a classy kid. I also said I hope one day his play matched his mouth and what a good kid he is. On Monday it did. 

7 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Empirically, Polamalu, Reed, Taylor would all have been worthy of the sixth overall pick, so you're wrong as a factual matter. The problem is that a safety literally needs to be a hall of fame-caliber performer to justify a pick at that spot, and the likelihood of that, no matter how good your scouting is, is small.

People don’t understand this concept and the retort is almost always about how he is a solid run defender with potential. Which obviously does not justify it currently, but he can still reach higher levels as a blitzer, pass coverage defender, and generating turnovers. Which i hope he does, even if it is not likely hof level.

Jamal Adams can be a solid player with leadership qualities. It is not his fault if he doesn’t end up justifying value on his draft position. But people take it out on him because of his verbose confidence, and the stigma he represents because Mac has no concept of positional value when he drafts

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

People don’t understand this concept and the retort is almost always about how he is a solid run defender with potential. Which obviously does not justify it currently, but he can still reach higher levels as a blitzer, pass coverage defender, and generating turnovers. Which i hope he does, even if it is not likely hof level.

Jamal Adams can be a solid player with leadership qualities. It is not his fault if he doesn’t end up justifying value on his draft position. But people take it out on him because of his verbose confidence, and the stigma he represents because Mac has no concept of positional value when he drafts

"Can be a solid player"  - his floor is solid player as he was more then solid as a rookie.

What he can be is a player who is strong enough to blitz, play the run and make plays behind the line, while also being athletic enough to cover WRs in the slot and play the deep middle of the field.  How many guys can do that?

Were there other good safeties picked later - yes, in fact I thought Eddie Jackson in particular was an incredible value where he was picked.  The problem with that comparison is that Jackson is a only a coverage safety, he cant play the run and thats why he was a 4th round pick.  Adams was a top 10 pick because contrary to what half the board thinks, Adams has elite athleticism along with the unique ability to also play the run.  

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

From day one, I was on Mac for taking a safety so high. Really really disliked that we took a safety with the sixth overall....and I wasn't even on the QB train. I actually wanted Mac to trade down and accumulate more picks.

However, I also have loved Adams from day 1. Love the swag (for lack of better term), love the talking. It's not negative like say Courtland Finnegan. It's more pumping up himself and his teammates. I love my defenders to have that. Do I want my QB to act like Baker? Hell no, but my hard hitting, hopefully ball hawking safety? Yes please.

My favorite things about him outside of what he brings on the field: (1) He bets on himself all day, but still works harder than anyone else on defense. (2) He always ends every public appearance or interview with "Go Jets". I love that he genuinely is all in on this team.

I agree.

He's a talker, that's who he has always been.  HE doesn't talk about how good he is or what he is going to do on Sunday.  He talks about his future and the accolades that he expects himself to achieve.  As much as he talks, if you listen, you do not see a cocky player.  You see a confident player and a cheerleader for the entire organization and city.  It really doesn't matter anymore that he was picked 6th.  What's important is that he is on the squad and his future looks very promising.  He may never be Reed or Lott or any of the greats but just let him be Jamal and hopefully he will be one of our best players for many years.  

• Upvote 3

Darnold’s Debut Was More Up And Down Than You Think

It’s been a while since the Jets had this much juice in them. Following an absolute routing of the Detroit Lions in their season opener, by the score of 48-17, New York’s mean team in green was flying high on Monday night.

Anytime a score is that one sided it’s likely due to the offensive not turning the ball over and the defense getting turnovers themselves. That’s exactly what happened, as the Lions finished the game with five turnovers compared to the Jets two.

There were plenty of storylines to choose from in this one. For one, Lions’ quarterback Matthew Stafford looked dreadful, and that is a major concern going forward. On the flip side, boy, did the Jets defense look good. They had five interceptions from four different players (linebacker Darron Lee nabbed two), and one of which was returned for a touchdown.

But, as this is a draft-centric site, the big takeaway for us was the performance of rookie quarterback Sam Darnold.

giphy.gif

I could’ve sworn Patrick Mahomes played for the Chiefs, but on that pass it looked like, no, wait, that was Darnold.

The play you see above was Darnold’s first pass of the game. As if we need to state the obvious: it wasn’t great. That truly was Darnold’s “Welcome to the NFL.” You can’t be doing anything remotely close to that in this league unless you’re absolutely cannon-ing a pass from sideline to sideline — and few quarterbacks even have the arm to do it. Open space just doesn’t exist for long at the NFL level, and Darnold learned that the hard way.

giphy.gif

The good news is it didn’t take Darnold much time to re-group. He was pretty sharp recognizing where open space was, but he did serve up his receivers a few times in that game. It is part of the job as a receiver to catch through tough contact, but quicker decision making for Darnold during the action and in the pre-snap will give his guys better chances for yards after the catch, and will help them not get leveled as much, as seen above.

giphy.gif

Darnold is a rookie, so this sort of thing is expected, but it is also worth pointing out, as you’ll likely only read articles of how incredible Darnold was against the Lions. All I’m saying is he was good, but you see where he needs to improve.

The play above was the big one, for me. It was a play that ended in a touchdown for Darnold and his team, but it showed a few areas that need to be improved on.

First of all, he has to get rid of that ball sooner. You can literally see the hesitation in his steps above.

giphy.gif

Jets wide receiver Robby Anderson had that safety beat almost two full seconds before Darnold threw that ball. It can’t be that slow. He has to recognize that his guy has the separation advantage much sooner.

Not to mention Darnold has to have better ball placement. The pass was good enough to be caught, but it was also bad enough to be batted away, if the safety had played it better.

A successful play, but one that also revealed little things you can see Darnold still needs to work on. But we certainly saw areas of Darnold’s game, even in Week 1, that made him the Top 3 prospect he was.

giphy.gif

When I watched that throw live I couldn’t help but smile due to how “Sam Darnold” it was. Going against the grain, falling away from his throw, right to the sideline where it needed to be. Darnold hit so many of those unorthodox throws while at USC, and he showcased that ability in his first game. He’s a guy you can trust to delivery in some not-so-ideal passing conditions.

Ultimately Darnold is 1-0 as a starter in the NFL, and any quarterback who’s made it that far will tell you that is hard to do. But, the Lions’ defense is really bad. It was a nice first team to go up against, but just because it was a good day in the end didn’t mean it was a perfect day for Darnold.

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Reed and Polamalu weren’t drafted in the top ten so, not sure what you’re getting at. And then your second sentence proves I’m right. So now I’m really not sure what you’re trying to say. All I am saying is that a team last year with gaping holes in major positions took a safety. That goes against the grain of what usually and normally works. 

5 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Darnold’s Debut Was More Up And Down Than You Think

It’s been a while since the Jets had this much juice in them. Following an absolute routing of the Detroit Lions in their season opener, by the score of 48-17, New York’s mean team in green was flying high on Monday night.

Anytime a score is that one sided it’s likely due to the offensive not turning the ball over and the defense getting turnovers themselves. That’s exactly what happened, as the Lions finished the game with five turnovers compared to the Jets two.

There were plenty of storylines to choose from in this one. For one, Lions’ quarterback Matthew Stafford looked dreadful, and that is a major concern going forward. On the flip side, boy, did the Jets defense look good. They had five interceptions from four different players (linebacker Darron Lee nabbed two), and one of which was returned for a touchdown.

But, as this is a draft-centric site, the big takeaway for us was the performance of rookie quarterback Sam Darnold.

giphy.gif

I could’ve sworn Patrick Mahomes played for the Chiefs, but on that pass it looked like, no, wait, that was Darnold.

The play you see above was Darnold’s first pass of the game. As if we need to state the obvious: it wasn’t great. That truly was Darnold’s “Welcome to the NFL.” You can’t be doing anything remotely close to that in this league unless you’re absolutely cannon-ing a pass from sideline to sideline — and few quarterbacks even have the arm to do it. Open space just doesn’t exist for long at the NFL level, and Darnold learned that the hard way.

giphy.gif

The good news is it didn’t take Darnold much time to re-group. He was pretty sharp recognizing where open space was, but he did serve up his receivers a few times in that game. It is part of the job as a receiver to catch through tough contact, but quicker decision making for Darnold during the action and in the pre-snap will give his guys better chances for yards after the catch, and will help them not get leveled as much, as seen above.

giphy.gif

Darnold is a rookie, so this sort of thing is expected, but it is also worth pointing out, as you’ll likely only read articles of how incredible Darnold was against the Lions. All I’m saying is he was good, but you see where he needs to improve.

The play above was the big one, for me. It was a play that ended in a touchdown for Darnold and his team, but it showed a few areas that need to be improved on.

First of all, he has to get rid of that ball sooner. You can literally see the hesitation in his steps above.

giphy.gif

Jets wide receiver Robby Anderson had that safety beat almost two full seconds before Darnold threw that ball. It can’t be that slow. He has to recognize that his guy has the separation advantage much sooner.

Not to mention Darnold has to have better ball placement. The pass was good enough to be caught, but it was also bad enough to be batted away, if the safety had played it better.

A successful play, but one that also revealed little things you can see Darnold still needs to work on. But we certainly saw areas of Darnold’s game, even in Week 1, that made him the Top 3 prospect he was.

giphy.gif

When I watched that throw live I couldn’t help but smile due to how “Sam Darnold” it was. Going against the grain, falling away from his throw, right to the sideline where it needed to be. Darnold hit so many of those unorthodox throws while at USC, and he showcased that ability in his first game. He’s a guy you can trust to delivery in some not-so-ideal passing conditions.

Ultimately Darnold is 1-0 as a starter in the NFL, and any quarterback who’s made it that far will tell you that is hard to do. But, the Lions’ defense is really bad. It was a nice first team to go up against, but just because it was a good day in the end didn’t mean it was a perfect day for Darnold.

How depressing would it be if the writer had said "no where to go from here but down". He's a rookie for Christ sake!

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Except he literally doesn’t need to be a hall of famer to justify the pick.  Your premise couldn’t be more wrong.  Not a single GM drafts a player with the expectations of “if he isn’t a hall of famer this pick won’t be justified”.  When you make these flawed generalizations you ignore what that specific draft looked like in that year and what were the other possible options at 6.  

Except that you're wrong here, and he does.  Safety is sort of like OG and running back, in that they are positions that both impact the game significantly and where competent to very good performers can typically be found middle to late in the draft, meaning that if you're taking someone at that position in the top 10, the player needs to be an elite level player for the delta between the guy you took and the potential replacement player to be worth giving up other options.

For example, in the Adams draft, we got Marcus Maye in the second, the Cardinals got Budda Baker (a pro bowler) in the second, the Saints got Marcus Williams in the second ...

In terms of other options at 6, the Jets could have taken Marcus Lattimore (who looks like an elite CB and would've saved us 14M/yr on Johnson), Mahomes or Watson (both of whom fit a crying need, and while I like Darnold better than both, I like Mahomes + Chubb better than Darnold + Adams, if only because pass rusher is the second most important position in the game), and all of whom were realistically in play at 6.  Adams may well turn out to be a better player than Lattimore in a vaccuum, but the odds are that the delta between Lattimore and an average CB will be far greater than the delta between Adams and an average safety.  The only way that's not true is if Adams hits at a HOF level.

BTW, I'm a big fan of Adams and what he brings to this team, both on and off the field.  I think picking a S that high is a mistake, but that's a sunk cost and irrelevant now.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JMJ said:

I agree.  I'm SHOCKED by all the Adams hate on here.  I'm thinking: "did I miss something??"