Lions Players Upset with Matt Patricia

joewilly12

Report: Lions Players Upset with Matt Patricia over Team Rules, Amount of Work

SCOTT POLACEK

Detroit Lions head coach Matt Patricia listens to a reporters question after an NFL football game against the New York Jets in Detroit, Monday, Sept. 10, 2018. The Jets won 48-17. (AP Photo/Jose Juarez)
Jose Juarez/Associated Press

The Detroit Lions reportedly have more concerns than just their 0-1 record after Monday's ugly 48-17 loss to the New York Jets at Ford Field.

Mike Garafolo of NFL Network revealed he heard some veteran players were not pleased with how hard new head coach Matt Patricia worked them during training camp. They also didn't like how many team rules he put in place:

Mike Garafolo@MikeGarafolo

We talked the other day on @gmfb Weekend about the #Lions’ veterans being unhappy with how hard Matt Patricia has worked them and all the rules in place there. Results like last night’s blowout loss to the #Jets could bring things to a head ... both ways. https://t.co/wCImJnLFlg

It is important to note Garafolo said he didn't want to rush to conclusions, but he pointed out players could grow more restless if winning results don't come from working so hard. He also suggested that Patricia could look into finding replacements who will buy into his approach if the losing continues.

Garafolo added more context, noting one of the player's agents predicted the team would be "out of gas" in Week 1 because of the grueling training camp.

Detroit looked outclassed Monday as the Jets steamrolled their way to a commanding victory on the road. Matthew Stafford threw four interceptions, the defense failed to keep rookie quarterback Sam Darnold in check, and the result was an embarrassing loss.

Things may not get better fast either, considering the next four quarterbacks Detroit is scheduled to face are Jimmy Garoppolo, Tom Brady, Dak Prescott and Aaron Rodgers.

This wasn't the only troublesome report after the loss, as Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports noted the Jets knew what plays the Lions were going to run before they even snapped the ball.

"We were calling out their plays as he was getting up to the line," linebacker Darron Lee said.

"Film study," safety Jamal Adams added. "The offense paints a picture. They give us little tips."

What's more, Shawn Windsor of the Detroit Free Press already wrote a column titled "Detroit Lions coach Matt Patricia is in over his head" and pointed to the confusion and unpreparedness on display Monday.

The Lions hired Patricia as the head coach after he spent the previous six years as the defensive coordinator for the New England Patriots. New England has an established culture of winning and Super Bowl appearances Detroit has not enjoyed—its last championship game appearance was in 1957, prior to the Super Bowl era—but Patricia's early methods have yielded disappointing results.

If initial reports are any indication, he has his work cut out for him as he attempts to win football games and the respect of the locker room.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John Madden (I believe) once said that the fewer rules a team has, the fewer there are for players to break.  Not saying you let the inmates run the asylum, but a new HC that's never proved anything to anyone, coming in and laying down a lot of new rules, while looking like a slob, is certainly setting things up for a meltdown if you don't start winning games soon.  I don't see things going well for him.

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

John Madden (I believe) once said that the fewer rules a team has, the fewer there are for players to break.  Not saying you let the inmates run the asylum, but a new HC that's never proved anything to anyone, coming in and laying down a lot of new rules, while looking like a slob, is certainly setting things up for a meltdown if you don't start winning games soon.  I don't see things going well for him.

100%, some who clearly isnt strict about his diet or dedicated in the gym trying to push that on players is going to have a hard time unless he has a monster resume 

20 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

It's all good to be a disciplinarian but you need to show some discipline as well.

Put down the bacon double cheese cake Patricia. You were a fatty in NE but now the guy is completely round, looking like a perfect sphere walking that sideline. 

Yes he did look horribly obese but TV adds 80lbs

1 hour ago, detectivekimble said:

Tom Brady is responsible for the Patriots success.  I repeat, Tom Brady is responsible for the Patriots success.

There's a reason why none of the coaching techniques or methods that Belicheat uses works outside of NE.  His best coaching technique is letting Tom Brady touch the ball 70 times per game.

I think that the coaches like Patricia that get HC gigs are nothing like Belichick so using his methods do not work.

57 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Everyone hated tom coughlin until he gave them two super bowl rings.  It usually takes longer than one bad game for people to beef though.  F'ing millenials.

I remember last year the Jaguars complaining about practicing hard in the Jax heat.

By Opening Day they were a hardened team without many injuries, leading to the AFCCG.  

The Parcells Way.  

2 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Tom Brady is responsible for the Patriots success.  I repeat, Tom Brady is responsible for the Patriots success.

There's a reason why none of the coaching techniques or methods that Belicheat uses works outside of NE.  His best coaching technique is letting Tom Brady touch the ball 70 times per game.

True this.  People are all gooey-eyed over how BB prefers left-footed punters because they force a 3% higher muff rate than right-footed ones.  That's all well and good, but at the end of the day, it's lipstick on a pig.  If Hue Jackson and BB switched teams, Hue would go 10-6 and BB would go 4-12 and we'd be talking about how great a coach Hue was.  

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

I hope he goes down in flames. Beli didn’t become a hard on for rules until him had the veterans to enforces them, and the wins to validate them.

Can’t just transpose Belis way to a new situation, without the aforementioned variables.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Everyone hated tom coughlin until he gave them two super bowl rings.  It usually takes longer than one bad game for people to beef though.  F'ing millenials.

Other way around....he changed, then came the Super Bowl wins.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-giants-coughlin/coughlins-willingness-to-change-led-to-super-bowls-idUSKBN0UJ26Y20160105

JANUARY 5, 2016 / 2:15 PM / 3 YEARS AGO

Coughlin's willingness to change led to Super Bowls

4 MIN READ

•  
  •  

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Reuters) - Tom Coughlin turned an expansion team into a contender then found Super Bowl glory with the New York Giants after ditching his authoritarian approach for a more inclusive style. 

Jan 5, 2016; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; New York Giants former head coach Tom Coughlin addresses the media during a press conference at Quest Diagnostics Training Center. Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports 

Coughlin remarkably had the Jacksonville Jaguars one win away from a Super Bowl berth in their second National Football League season but it wasn’t until he joined the Giants that he reached the top of the coaching profession. 

He faced a near mutiny from Giants players disgruntled by his strict approach after he took charge of the team in 2004 and three of them filed grievances against him for fining them for being less than five minutes early to scheduled meetings. Even his Hall of Fame defensive end Michael Strahan bristled at a fine for being just three minutes early to a meeting. 

But Coughlin softened his approach, in some respects, and went on to achieve Super Bowl glory. 

The 69-year-old Coughlin, who resigned on Monday after 12 years in charge of the Giants, gave a rousing farewell address to a packed news conference on Tuesday that appropriately began five minutes before schedule. 

“I’ve changed and I’ve grown and I’ve developed and I’ve learned,” Coughlin said about his tenure with the Giants. “You better do that or you’re dead. So I’ve done that. I’m better for it.”

Facing pressure from ownership in 2006 to right the ship after an 8-8 season, Coughlin established a players’ council to serve as a sounding board and improved communication helped bond team and coach in a charge to a Super Bowl title in 2007. 

The Giants’ championship victory ruined the New England Patriots’ bid to record the NFL’s first 19-0 season. Four years later the Giants again beat the Bill Belichick and Tom Brady-led Patriots with a late Super Bowl touchdown drive. 

“In professional football, the goal is to win. We all know that,” Coughlin said. “But my contention is, when I first brought this up was with our ‘07 team, is there’s a higher ground. There’s a greater purpose. That purpose is team. 

“Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way. Winning the right way is a very, very important thing to me and all of our coaches. That’s what motivates and inspires us.” 

Coughlin, whose 170 regular season wins puts him in a share of 11th place on the NFL’s all-time list, said teaching life lessons was most important to him. 

“Championships are won by teams who love one another, who love and respect one another, who play for and support one another,” he said. 

“While it is the job of the head coach to get the technical football right ... it is our duty to equip these men with the virtues that will last a lifetime, the values like honesty, trust, responsibility, respect, service and integrity...” 

Coughlin, who led the Jaguars to the AFC title game in only his second season as an NFL head coach, leads by example. 

SPONSORED

“But I do know ... we will devote a lot of our energy to the Jay Fund Foundation,” he said, referring specifically to the ‘Be There’ campaign for the New York, New Jersey area, to help families with cancer-stricken children.

47 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I don’t remember anyone around here worrying about Rex Ryan being grossly obese when we hired him  The comments about Patricia’s weight are nonsense. 

Rex got the lap band surgery for health reasons. He also wasnt a disciplinarian. Hard to enforce rules when you cant control yourself. Mangini had the same issues. The unkempt beard and the dopey pencil/backwards hat combo dont help either.

Rex got the lap band surgery for health reasons. He also wasnt a disciplinarian. Hard to enforce rules when you cant control yourself. Mangini had the same issues. The gross beard and the dopey pencil/backwards hat combo dont help either.

I think Mangini was building something here until he got force fed favre. He should have been his own guy. He tried as well to be like belicheat. Well never know what could’ve been there. Also I think tomlin is overrated also

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, Jets0712 said:

I think Mangini was building something here until he got force fed favre. He should have been his own guy. He tried as well to be like belicheat. Well never know what could’ve been there. Also I think tomlin is overrated also

Force fed yet named his kid after him.. smh

40 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Other way around....he changed, then came the Super Bowl wins.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-giants-coughlin/coughlins-willingness-to-change-led-to-super-bowls-idUSKBN0UJ26Y20160105

JANUARY 5, 2016 / 2:15 PM / 3 YEARS AGO

Coughlin's willingness to change led to Super Bowls

4 MIN READ

•  
  •  

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Reuters) - Tom Coughlin turned an expansion team into a contender then found Super Bowl glory with the New York Giants after ditching his authoritarian approach for a more inclusive style. 

Jan 5, 2016; East Rutherford, NJ, USA; New York Giants former head coach Tom Coughlin addresses the media during a press conference at Quest Diagnostics Training Center. Jim O'Connor-USA TODAY Sports 

Coughlin remarkably had the Jacksonville Jaguars one win away from a Super Bowl berth in their second National Football League season but it wasn’t until he joined the Giants that he reached the top of the coaching profession. 

He faced a near mutiny from Giants players disgruntled by his strict approach after he took charge of the team in 2004 and three of them filed grievances against him for fining them for being less than five minutes early to scheduled meetings. Even his Hall of Fame defensive end Michael Strahan bristled at a fine for being just three minutes early to a meeting. 

But Coughlin softened his approach, in some respects, and went on to achieve Super Bowl glory. 

The 69-year-old Coughlin, who resigned on Monday after 12 years in charge of the Giants, gave a rousing farewell address to a packed news conference on Tuesday that appropriately began five minutes before schedule. 

“I’ve changed and I’ve grown and I’ve developed and I’ve learned,” Coughlin said about his tenure with the Giants. “You better do that or you’re dead. So I’ve done that. I’m better for it.”

Facing pressure from ownership in 2006 to right the ship after an 8-8 season, Coughlin established a players’ council to serve as a sounding board and improved communication helped bond team and coach in a charge to a Super Bowl title in 2007. 

The Giants’ championship victory ruined the New England Patriots’ bid to record the NFL’s first 19-0 season. Four years later the Giants again beat the Bill Belichick and Tom Brady-led Patriots with a late Super Bowl touchdown drive. 

“In professional football, the goal is to win. We all know that,” Coughlin said. “But my contention is, when I first brought this up was with our ‘07 team, is there’s a higher ground. There’s a greater purpose. That purpose is team. 

“Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way. Winning the right way is a very, very important thing to me and all of our coaches. That’s what motivates and inspires us.” 

Coughlin, whose 170 regular season wins puts him in a share of 11th place on the NFL’s all-time list, said teaching life lessons was most important to him. 

“Championships are won by teams who love one another, who love and respect one another, who play for and support one another,” he said. 

“While it is the job of the head coach to get the technical football right ... it is our duty to equip these men with the virtues that will last a lifetime, the values like honesty, trust, responsibility, respect, service and integrity...” 

Coughlin, who led the Jaguars to the AFC title game in only his second season as an NFL head coach, leads by example. 

SPONSORED

“But I do know ... we will devote a lot of our energy to the Jay Fund Foundation,” he said, referring specifically to the ‘Be There’ campaign for the New York, New Jersey area, to help families with cancer-stricken children.

You missed the point, the whole team wanted him fired in year one and or two because he was too tough.  Just like Detroit is doing after one game to a rookie coach.  Losing teams bitch about hard coaches winning teams don't until the players leave.  See the NE Pats.  Players past, present and probably future hate Bellis guts, but they win and they win a lot.

9 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

If Favre didn't get hurt, I think we'd have made some real noise that year.  

We’re very fortunate to have so many brilliant football minds commenting here on this. What I’ll never understand is why owners and GM’s never consult any of you before making a coaching hire or draft pick. You guys bring so much knowledge to the table. Such an untapped resource. I wonder why they haven’t taken advantage yet. ?

Archived