Lions Players Upset with Matt Patricia

joewilly12

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You missed the point, the whole team wanted him fired in year one and or two because he was too tough.  Just like Detroit is doing after one game to a rookie coach.  Losing teams bitch about hard coaches winning teams don't until the players leave.  See the NE Pats.  Players past, present and probably future hate Bellis guts, but they win and they win a lot.

I didn't miss the point as you stated...

"Everyone hated tom coughlin until he gave them two super bowl rings.  It usually takes longer than one bad game for people to beef though.  F'ing millennials"

Coughlin changed his còaching style, the players responded to the change, then played their hearts out for him.  I know one of the players with a ring on that team who played for USC.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

What I’ll never understand is why owners and GM’s never consult any of you before making a coaching hire or draft pick. You guys bring so much knowledge to the table. Such an untapped resource. I wonder why they haven’t taken advantage yet.

I  choose to withhold my services in the name of purity. I won't be around forever, but the Jets will. They need to learn. 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I hope he goes down in flames. Beli didn’t become a hard on for rules until him had the veterans to enforces them, and the wins to validate them.

Can’t just transpose Belis way to a new situation, without the aforementioned variables.

This a 1000 times over.  Mangini made the same mistake here.  These guys are misguided to think that the "Belichick way" wins ball games.  No it doesn't. Scheme and talent does.

Colin Cowherd made a good point in a video posted in another thread. Belichick is a genius and geniuses make horrible mentors. Instead, mentees end up trying to mimic the genius rather than learning what makes that person great and how that greatness can translate into their own work.

No amount of rules are going to make a team good. 

5 hours ago, prime21 said:

Want's to be like his mentor.  He's probably asking why they didnt stop him the day he was packing up his office.

On another note, does he ever actually use that pencil?  Isn't the play card laminated?

It's a spy cam on one end, a deflator needle on the other

2 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

I think Mangini was building something here until he got force fed favre. He should have been his own guy. He tried as well to be like belicheat. Well never know what could’ve been there. Also I think tomlin is overrated also

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

No, he wasn't.

If he were doing anything good, he would still be in coaching or management. He basically took Herm Edwards' team and ran it into the ground. He presided over (and is widely credited with) the draft of Vernon Gholston, the biggest Jets bust, which is saying a lot, of all time.

ManGenius? ManDummy!!

11 hours ago, prime21 said:

Want's to be like his mentor.  He's probably asking why they didnt stop him the day he was packing up his office.

On another note, does he ever actually use that pencil?  Isn't the play card laminated?

He didn't have the pencil in the first half guess it emerged in the second half when his team was getting their asses kicked

9 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

I think Mangini was building something here until he got force fed favre. He should have been his own guy. He tried as well to be like belicheat. Well never know what could’ve been there. Also I think tomlin is overrated also

Agreed on all points 

12 hours ago, CTM said:

100%, some who clearly isnt strict about his diet or dedicated in the gym trying to push that on players is going to have a hard time unless he has a monster resume 

I remember Parcells used to bark “I’m going to be the only fat guy around here”. But he did have a resume so I guess it doesn’t disprove your point. Tbh, I still don’t agree that a HC has to be in shape. 

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Rex got the lap band surgery for health reasons. He also wasnt a disciplinarian. Hard to enforce rules when you cant control yourself. Mangini had the same issues. The unkempt beard and the dopey pencil/backwards hat combo dont help either.

Amazing how “The Patriot Way” never works when Tom Brady isn’t the qb

7 hours ago, SMC said:

This a 1000 times over.  Mangini made the same mistake here.  These guys are misguided to think that the "Belichick way" wins ball games.  No it doesn't. Scheme and talent does.

Colin Cowherd made a good point in a video posted in another thread. Belichick is a genius and geniuses make horrible mentors. Instead, mentees end up trying to mimic the genius rather than learning what makes that person great and how that greatness can translate into their own work.

I’ll go on the record and say I thought Patricia could be ok or at least better than his fellow Disciples of Belichick like Mangini and McDaniels

To me I think there are two bigger problems so far: 1. He forgot to change hand signals and audible terminology before a regular season game and 2. He put in Stafford after he got the crap beaten out of him and the game was clearly over

Players bitching about running sprints is one thing.  Those 2 things are negligence

30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I remember Parcells used to bark “I’m going to be the only fat guy around here”. But he did have a resume so I guess it doesn’t disprove your point. Tbh, I still don’t agree that a HC has to be in shape. 

They dont. It's difficult to be a hardass coach with today's players to begin with. Being a rookie and a fat slob just makes it that much more difficult to pull off. When players dont buy into what you are doing performance suffers. It's harder to buy into a fat guy making you work physically harder than your peers on other teams because of the inherent hypocrisy.

Imagine your boss forcing you to working 10 hrs of unpaid overtime a week and how much harder that would be to accept if he or she worked 20 hrs a week total versus if they worked 80. Same concept 

Just now, CTM said:

They dont. It's difficult to be a hardass coach with today's players to begin with. Being a rookie and a fat slob just makes it that much more difficult to pull off. When players dont buy into what you are doing performance suffers. It's harder to buy into a fat guy making you work physically harder than your peers on other teams because of the inherent hypocrisy.

Imagine your boss forcing you to working 10 hrs of unpaid overtime a week and how much harder that would be to accept if he or she worked 20 hrs a week total versus if they worked 80. Same concept 

Are you implying overweight leaders are usually bad leaders?  Cuz I can think of one off the top of my head...

it's one game.  i'm not rooting for patricia to succeed because he was part of those slimy patsies but to try and draw any conclusions after one game is foolish.  imo caldwell was more of a player's coach and so patricia is necessarily going to rub a lot of those vet players the wrong way.  he's going to need a couple of seasons and personnel changes before he gets it right. there are some parallels between the jets and the lions because the owners are both rich guys who tend to interfere at the wrong times.

we'll see what happens.  it's doubtful if they can beat out the packers or the vikings at this point.

9 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

He was building a team that would have missed the playoffs or gotten bounced in the wildcard game with noodle arm Chad

8 hours ago, SMC said:

Vet players dictate the dynamics and accountability. Beli didn’t create the ‘patriot way’ guys like mcginest, bruschi, etc did. Beli just normalized it. It has to come from players

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

We’re very fortunate to have so many brilliant football minds commenting here on this. What I’ll never understand is why owners and GM’s never consult any of you before making a coaching hire or draft pick. You guys bring so much knowledge to the table. Such an untapped resource. I wonder why they haven’t taken advantage yet. ?

Maybe not this time but they certainly listened to me to go get Darnold. 

Getting a 48-ball dropped on you on National TV at home in your first game will lead to grumblings.  A win here or there and it all goes away.

Newsflash.  Bowles is probably not the genius that some are painting him to be this week.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Are you implying overweight leaders are usually bad leaders?  Cuz I can think of one off the top of my head...

No, I'm implying it's more difficult for them to get buy in though particularly in a sport where the people you are leading are uber fit

16 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Cheating is responsible for the Patriots success.  I repeat, Cheating is responsible for the Patriots success.

There's a reason why none of the coaching techniques or methods that Belicheat uses works outside of NE.  His best coaching technique is letting Tom Brady touch the ball 70 times per game.

Fixed it.

10 hours ago, phill1c said:

No, he wasn't.

If he were doing anything good, he would still be in coaching or management. He basically took Herm Edwards' team and ran it into the ground. He presided over (and is widely credited with) the draft of Vernon Gholston, the biggest Jets bust, which is saying a lot, of all time.

ManGenius? ManDummy!!

This is a ludicrous take. Herm drove the Parcells team into the ground and Mangini took over a team with little to no talent on it and oversaw an excellent rebuild that Rex capitalized on. Mangini wasn't a good coach but the idea that he "drove a team into the ground" is completely idiotic. The team Mangini left in 2008 was 10000x better than the team he took over in 2006.

This is a ludicrous take. Herm drove the Parcells team into the ground and Mangini took over a team with little to no talent on it and oversaw an excellent rebuild that Rex capitalized on. Mangini wasn't a good coach but the idea that he "drove a team into the ground" is completely idiotic. The team Mangini left in 2008 was 10000x better than the team he took over in 2006.

This is correct. Yes he did blow the ghost pick but he brought in a major influx of talent including brick and mangold in his first draft. I believe mawae and Jenkins were big FA pick ups during his tenure as well. Monsters on the line!!!

He even gave us the fifth pick in the Sanchez draft for chump change. lol
One thing it’s hard to take from mangini is his personnel moves for the jets.

Archived