What are the Maras thinking?

GreenWhite

21 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I’m just glad the Giants still believe in Eli. He held it together long enough for us to get our guy. Actually the Giants fan were a big factor in all this. Had they not laid a stink bomb after Eli got benched, the Giants would not have hesitated to replace him. 

• Upvote 2

I'll always be thankful that NYG beat Tom Brady and the Patriots x2 during the Super Bowl and will always be forever grateful how they ended the Patriots undefeated season that never was. That would've been the worst one of them all. 

I'm even more a fan of Big Blue now that they've passed on Sam Darnold. Cleveland & our crosstown neighbors are the real MVP's. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I’m just glad the Giants still believe in Eli. He held it together long enough for us to get our guy. Actually the Giants fan were a big factor in all this. Had they not laid a stink bomb after Eli got benched, the Giants would not have hesitated to replace him. 

They are running the team the way we used to, listening to foolish fans. Eli hasn't been good in many years but they buckled to the outcry of a fanbase that multiple times tried to run Eli (and coughlin) out of town. They never used to buckle to fan pressure but they are now and it's why they haven't been good and likely won't be good anytime soon.  Let's just be thankful they did what they did

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

They are running the team the way we used to, listening to foolish fans. Eli hasn't been good in many years but they buckled to the outcry of a fanbase that multiple times tried to run Eli (and coughlin) out of town. They never used to buckle to fan pressure but they are now and it's why they haven't been good and likely won't be good anytime soon.  Let's just be thankful they did what they did

McAdoo sucked but to fire him because he benched Eli one game and the lamer giants fans got upset on wfan was comical

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Maras are probably happy that they got one of the most exciting running backs in the league who had a great first game.

They dont care about Sam Darnold.  

He had a miserable game and a great run. 

And they should care, Barkley will be compared to Darnold forever

45 minutes ago, Bugg said:

That Gettleman in his foolish pursuit of keeping the band together has made a a grievous error taking Barkley over Darnold. 

Pretty much. Eli isnt good anymore and there's still a belief among that org and the fanbase that Eli can get hot in December/January and go on a run (it's not happening). What's also interesting is the Odell dynamic and the younger Giant fan. The organization and part of the fanbase is enamored with him and it overshadows a lot of the losing. Not much different with Porzingis and the Knicks. The team sucks but we have Odell so who cares.

22 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

When Gettleman was hired there were a good amount of fans who were envious of the Giants and wished Mac was fired.

When Dorsey was hired there were a good amount of fans who were envious of the Browns and wished Mac was fired.

Too soon?

I'm still a little envious of the Browns, to be honest.  I think they have something really good going there, and I also think there's a chance Mayfield ends up a pretty good QB.

But Darnold was my # 1 choice and remains so, so I'm only envious of the Browns when it comes to non-QB's. 

Well, there's a couple of ways you can look at this and none of them would nec. be 'right' or 'wrong'.

1. Maybe they believe they have a competitive enough team to make a SB run. Not just Eli. But the whole team. Sure, they have a shaky O-line, but they have a SB winning QB, and stud TE, WRs and RB. The Offense is talented. I think they could have done more in FA to address the defense but they have Snacks and BJ Hill in the middle, with Ogletree and Vernon at LB, Collins at S and Apple/Jenkins as their corners. Obviously, they believe the defense is good enough or talented enough to get into the playoffs and make a serious run. 

2. Maybe the scouts did not believe Darnold was worth the #2 overall pick. The Browns wouldn't take him #1, after all. Or conversely, maybe the Giants felt a talent like Barkley could not be passed up. Can you blame them? S.Barkley is an absolute beast. 

Don't get me wrong, I think they made a colossal mistake. I said this to all my Giant fan friends right after the draft. But my opinion is biased. I never expected Darnold to be there for the Jets, even at 3, and I'm very happy he fell to us.      

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm still a little envious of the Browns, to be honest.  I think they have something really good going there, and I also think there's a chance Mayfield ends up a pretty good QB.

But Darnold was my # 1 choice and remains so, so I'm only envious of the Browns when it comes to non-QB's. 

Maybe, I mean, time will tell. T.Taylor did not exactly impress in game 1. The whole offense did not look THAT impressive. They didn't even win, they tied...despite a comeback. We haven't even see Mayfield play.

What I will say is that the Browns defense is crazy talented and could prove to be scary good this year. 

But envious? Nah, not me. QB is the most important position and FOR NOW I'm happy with what the Jets got going with Darnold. Yea, would be nice to have all that talent on defense that the Browns have but the Jets are no slouch in that department either, especially when Lee and Adams play the way they did in game one. The Jets literally just need a stud OLB pass rusher to complete their defense and be up there with some of the leagues best. They look very good at S, ILB, CB and D-line.  

36 minutes ago, FlagmanL11 said:

While their desire to ride it out with their two time Super Bowl Champion QB, def helped us get Darnold, imagine this board if the Jets were two time Super Bowl Champs in the last 10 years and they we looking to get rid of their QB who got them there for a Rookie.

Their QB didn't get them there, great defense got them there.  It's similar to Sanchez and the title games, no jet fan says mark got us there. He played well just as Eli did in his runs but ultimately it was the D that did the heavy lifting.  The Giants have missed the playoffs 7 of 9 seasons and the one recent one they made Eli was horrible.  Is great to have appreciation but Eli isn't an all time great, NYG should have moved on from him years ago.

• Upvote 1