Darron Lee Earns Highest Defensive PFF Grade for Week 1

JetNation

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Love what I saw out of Lee last week.  I was not a big fan of the pick, nor was I a fan of the player during his first two years with the team.  But, what I saw on Monday night was a completely different player.  Biggest complaint I had of him coming out of OSU was lack of instincts, he always seemd to hesitate a beat before reacting to a play, which kind of offset his speed.  And more often than not he took bad angles to the ball carrier and struggled in coverage.

But on Monday night, that hesitation was gone.  I am not just talking about the 2 interceptions, but he made a couple of plays where he blew up screen passes.  He reacted quickly, took good angles to the ball and hit the ball carrier at around the line of scrimmage.  On the 2 interceptions he showed an awareness in the passing game I had not seen before.  

I get that it was only 1 game.  But for the first time since we drafted him, I am optimistic that he could be the guy that he was originally drafted to be.  Would be huge for our defense if Lee can play like this consistenlty.

Plus 3 PDs.  Let the man play in space.

Also, Lee was making the pre-snap calls on the defense.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Isn't he calling the defense now?

That could be a BIG reason for his awakening from an instincts standpoint.  There's a difference between standing next to Demario Davis and hearing the defense called (last season), and having to look and diagnose things yourself.  Lee may be in a position now where he's doing much more presnap analysis and thinking about the formation he's seeing rather than just "following the script."  It could be the ole "Give a man a fish vs. Teach a man to fish" situation.

In any case, keep it rolling Darron.

Yep.  I was laughing when people were freaking out that he'd be calling the defense.  He's the smartest player on that side of the ball.  You want him calling the defense.

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Top 10-15 range last year? Wrong, yet again.

And yup. Even without a run game they they still ranked as the 6th overall offense and a 9-7 record; and that's due to being led by Matthew Stafford himself who's posted an average QB Rating of 96.5 over the past 3 years despite being "one dimensional". 

Darron Lee just exploded against a damn near top 5 NFL offensive attack (6th to be exact) and these guys respond with "wait until he plays an offense worth a damn" absolutely pathetic. 

I admire your persistence and overall homerism but for I think you are honestly over hyping both this defense and Darron Lee.

Again, when you know the plays signals and you are playing a completely one dimensional, you just aren’t even supposed to be in the NFL if you can’t diagnose what’s going on that THAT point. That’s the easiest day at the office that this defense will ever have.

All I’m saying..you are calling me out as some pretentious prick know-it-all when all I was asking out of this performance was consistency. Please let them play a few more games(and also the Lions) before you start writing essays showing off crap 2017 stats and killing posters for not being comfortable with being content from Week 1. Posting those stats almost works in with an opposite purpose when you figure in how looking at those start would incline some here to have even more concern lmao. 2017 wasnt good aside from a handful of games. No one is killing Darron Lee.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think with the bulk we have upfront on the DLine and Avery Williamson basically being a run-stopping machine this could let Lee do exactly what he's built for....running and hitting, disrupting short pass plays, etc.  The guy isn't tiny but he's certainly undersized for an ILB.  With Williamson and Jenkins behind guys like McClendon, Leo, etc. I think we're perfectly fine letting Lee be a heat-seaking missile back there.  I forgot that he ran 4.47 in the 40 and was faster than Vonn Miller.

can’t forget Adams role here

58 minutes ago, Vader said:

can’t forget Adams role here

Yessir Jamal Adams is the real deal and a blue chip NFL Safety. There was a statistical mention the other day where Jamal Adams when lined up 7-8 yards or so from the line of scrimmage leads all NFL Safety's in total tackles since being drafted. Dude is an animal out there. 

Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, Marcus Maye and Jamal Adams all falling to us is going to become the greatest things that's ever happened to our defense long term. Real deal building blocks here. 

Archived