Henry Anderson - what a pick up

nico002

This guys is DISRUPTIVE 

I remember seeing this kid on the colts a few years back and thinking he was a beast- I never connected the dots that this was the dude we traded for until I saw him wrecking the game Monday.

just check out what colts fans had to saw about trading him away for peanuts:

https://forums.colts.com/topic/58071-henry-anderson-traded-to-jets/

clearly this guys was held in high regard by the fans

what a move !

9 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Guy played well and was a good pickup for a 7th rounder. Lets make sure not to give any credit to Macc though. 

What the hell are you even talking about, some of you people are so bloody paranoid that even praise is seen as critique.  People are universally praising him for the move.  You get praise when you make good moves and get blasted for what are seen as bad moves.

A nice element on this forum thinks he has made ALL good moves.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What the hell are you even talking about, some of you people are so bloody paranoid that even praise is seen as critique.  People are universally praising him for the move.  You get praise when you make good moves and get blasted for what are seen as bad moves.

I've never once seen Mike Maccagnan being universally praised and mentioning "Henry Anderson" as they've dug down deep into Maccagnan's so called failures of GM. Never once. 

Nonetheless receiving a former 3rd round draft pick who's beloved by his former Indianapolis fan base for a 7th round draft pick has always been good enough for me. 

Maccagnan absolutely crushes small trades - 7th for Anderson, Pryor for Davis, even McDougle for Brooks has really worked out nicely. Doing a good job with PS construction as well IMO. Obviously some of his bigger moves seem like they're working out as well. Hopefully those are an indication of what he'll do with larger stuff with his feet under him.

The big moves will make or break you, but being able to do well on the back end of the roster is really significant as well and he does seem to have a knack there.

I loved this move when we made it.  He’s an excellent 3-4 DE who simply had some injury concerns to overcome.  We got him cheap.  This was very much like the move Macc made to get Brandon Marshall several years ago.

I really think the only need for the DLine in the coming years will finding a true stud NT.

8 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Guy played well and was a good pickup for a 7th rounder. Lets make sure not to give any credit to Macc though. 

I don't think anybody has huge complaints with the guys that Maccagnan brings in at the back of the roster.  Most complaints centered on what seems to be excessive conservatism with major decisions - picking high floor players at lesser positions, not pulling the trigger on tradeups, etc.  He's done a good job on these types of moves.

3 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

I have to give credit to Mac and Bowles, I'm sure he was involved as well. Someone did their homework to find this guy and get him cheap.

Might also be Heimerdinger. His relationship with Colts VP of player personnel Dodds supposedly had a strong bearing on trade up this draft. Their other VP of player personnel, Hogan, worked for the Jets under Maccagnan from 2015-2017, supposedly Maccagnan has some sort of relationship with Ballard. 

I don't think this was so much doing homework as having a good relationship with the team and being a good place to send a bargain.  Everybody knew Anderson was a good player, but he is a 3-4 DE in the last year of his deal.  The Colts are moving to a 4-3 and he is not a good fit.  It's the same reason they dumped John Simon, but Simon got real money so he is harder to trade.  There also was the chance Simon could transition from 34 OLB to 43 DE, whereas I guess they didn't like Anderson at DT or DE.  They already had Simon, Hunt, Sheard, Ridgeway, Basham and Al Woods and they signed Autry from the Raiders.  Their front 7 is in flux and we got the deal.      

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

He was good enough to keep a talented Nathan Shepherd on the bench, at least for week 1. Nice “problem” to have 

I wouldn't say he kept Shepherd on the bench.  Anderson played 34 snaps, Shepherd played 32.  In fact, Williams only played 46 out of 70, so presumably they were on the field together plenty. 

I like the rotation to keep guys fresh, but they may not trust Shepherd too much right now and may want to keep his job simpler.  They didn't have him on any specials, while even Williams played some.  Fort Hays State to the NFL is a pretty big jump.

Ill never understand "so-and-so couldnt fit our scheme, so lets dump him for $.10/$1.00"  Its really hard to find good NFL players, if you find one, its the coaches job to figure out how to use him.

Anderson to me is a great 3rd down DE on a roster like the Jets, because our edge pressure is likely going to come from DBs and somewhat exotic blitzes. Anderson happens to be strong enough to bull rush a gap and hopefully temporarily draw 2 Olineman until one leaves to pick up a blitzer, but is also quick enough to beat the remaining guy 1-1.

Cant see how the colts couldnt figure out a way to use him, but real happy to have him.

2 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Ill never understand "so-and-so couldnt fit our scheme, so lets dump him for $.10/$1.00"  Its really hard to find good NFL players, if you find one, its the coaches job to figure out how to use him.

Anderson to me is a great 3rd down DE on a roster like the Jets, because our edge pressure is likely going to come from DBs and somewhat exotic blitzes. Anderson happens to be strong enough to bull rush a gap and hopefully temporarily draw 2 Olineman until one leaves to pick up a blitzer, but is also quick enough to beat the remaining guy 1-1.

Cant see how the colts couldnt figure out a way to use him, but real happy to have him.

This is why they are the Colts and are wasting the opportunity provided by having Andrew Luck as their QB. They do most things wrong. While I could see trading him because he is often injured and they have a lot of depth at the position, they should have made the return pick conditioned upon his stats. Stupid move by the Colts.

5 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

This is why they are the Colts and are wasting the opportunity provided by having Andrew Luck as their QB. They do most things wrong. While I could see trading him because he is often injured and they have a lot of depth at the position, they should have made the return pick conditioned upon his stats. Stupid move by the Colts.

3-4 DEs don't have stats.  How many pages is this thread?  This guy had zero interceptions, zero sacks, and zero tackles.  The Colts D has sucked the past 3 years with him and without him.  Just because he may be a useful player, does not mean they had use for him.  They are rebuilding that D and rightfully so.  

Just now, Nixhead said:

Let not start sucking eat others d.cks quite yet. Everyone looked good last game. I do believe he will be a solid acquisition but I’m not ready to put his picture up on my mantle yet.

For a 7th, we should be happy with his snap count and holding up at the point of attack.  That is what I took as the point of this thread. Starting one game and playing well makes him a worthwhile investment.

39 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Let not start sucking eat others d.cks quite yet. Everyone looked good last game. I do believe he will be a solid acquisition but I’m not ready to put his picture up on my mantle yet.

The point was made that he was a great pick up for a 7th, not that he should be fitted for a gold jacket

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Where the hell have you been? Macc has been bashed for his questionable drafting constantly and given little credit for some very good signings and trades. 

I think more so a large element thinks he has to make ALL good moves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nixhead said:

You aint the boss of me, if I want to go ahead and.....ahhhh, wait nevermind.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I wouldn't say he kept Shepherd on the bench.  Anderson played 34 snaps, Shepherd played 32.  In fact, Williams only played 46 out of 70, so presumably they were on the field together plenty. 

I like the rotation to keep guys fresh, but they may not trust Shepherd too much right now and may want to keep his job simpler.  They didn't have him on any specials, while even Williams played some.  Fort Hays State to the NFL is a pretty big jump.

Interesting, thanks. I knew that Shepherd played but didn't realize he played that many snaps. I'm sure we'll see some impact plays from him soon. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

The point was made that he was a great pick up for a 7th, not that he should be fitted for a gold jacket

Exactly, I hate when someone responds to a thread in this way. I didn't see one Jet fan claim anything other than he was a great pickup for a 7th. Plus he was directly responsible for a turnover because of the pressure he put on Stafford. I'm seeing a team that Macc has put together that plays hard, smart, and within the scheme. Anderson was busting his azz out there going all out on every play making him a BETTER player than lazy Mo.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I wish I hadn't accidentally deleted the game, but I recall one play where I focused on Shepherd (want to say first half) when there was a run to his side and he got planted flat on his back. In his defense, I believe it was a double team but was still a bit shocking to see given his preseason performance.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I thought he was being sarcastic ?

3 hours ago, derp said:

Maccagnan absolutely crushes small trades - 7th for Anderson, Pryor for Davis, even McDougle for Brooks has really worked out nicely. Doing a good job with PS construction as well IMO. Obviously some of his bigger moves seem like they're working out as well. Hopefully those are an indication of what he'll do with larger stuff with his feet under him.

The big moves will make or break you, but being able to do well on the back end of the roster is really significant as well and he does seem to have a knack there.

Mac has been a pretty quality overall trader hasn't he?

I'm trying to think of a trade he lost on... The trades for Fitzpatrick and Marshall I guess? Those worked well for one season and absolutely imploded the next, but at least they were productive for a reasonable amount of time given the smaller amounts of draft capital used to acquire them.

I think that's about as bad as it gets with him. After that its just a bunch of smaller misses like trading for Ryan Clady, and trading down for lower round picks that amounted to nothing, etc.

Otherwise the dude's been fantastic at these kinds of transactions. The Sheldon to Seattle for a 2nd trade and subsequent trading of three 2nd rounders for Sam might prove to be his masterstroke as a GM. 

Anderson could flourish here due to being in an ideal system and situation. Only trouble with him is his injury history... and the fact that if he's good enough he might skip town for more money elsewhere like ASJ. But this could be the next good idea trade Mac has made under his tenure as Jets GM.

Archived