Henry Anderson - what a pick up

nico002

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I loved this move when we made it.  He’s an excellent 3-4 DE who simply had some injury concerns to overcome.  We got him cheap.  This was very much like the move Macc made to get Brandon Marshall several years ago.

I really think the only need for the DLine in the coming years will finding a true stud NT.

he had a nasty injury last year.  Was it a fractured trachea or something?

26 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Mac has been a pretty quality overall trader hasn't he?

I'm trying to think of a trade he lost on... The trades for Fitzpatrick and Marshall I guess? Those worked well for one season and absolutely imploded the next, but at least they were productive for a reasonable amount of time given the smaller amounts of draft capital used to acquire them.

I think that's about as bad as it gets with him. After that its just a bunch of smaller misses like trading for Ryan Clady, and trading down for lower round picks that amounted to nothing, etc.

Otherwise the dude's been fantastic at these kinds of transactions. The Sheldon to Seattle for a 2nd trade and subsequent trading of three 2nd rounders for Sam might prove to be his masterstroke as a GM. 

Anderson could flourish here due to being in an ideal system and situation. Only trouble with him is his injury history... and the fact that if he's good enough he might skip town for more money elsewhere like ASJ. But this could be the next good idea trade Mac has made under his tenure as Jets GM.

I think these trades are small, so it is hard to lose.  The 5th for Marshall was used on Adrian Amos who is one of the top safeties in the NFL.  The Jets got a 7th back that they traded for Zac Stacy after the Rams took Gurley.   Can't complain about the Fitzpatrick trade because he only had the one year on his deal.  Don't get me started on

the FA contract though.

I guess you could say that he lost on the Devier Posey deal. 

16 minutes ago, jack48 said:

he had a nasty injury last year.  Was it a fractured trachea or something?

Fractured larynx.  He finished the game, but missed the season.

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think these trades are small, so it is hard to lose.  The 5th for Marshall was used on Adrian Amos who is one of the top safeties in the NFL.  The Jets got a 7th back that they traded for Zac Stacy after the Rams took Gurley.   Can't complain about the Fitzpatrick trade because he only had the one year on his deal.  Don't get me started on

the FA contract though.

I guess you could say that he lost on the Devier Posey deal. 

Fractured larynx.  He finished the game, but missed the season.

Larynx, right.  Thank you

5 hours ago, nico002 said:

This guys is DISRUPTIVE 

I remember seeing this kid on the colts a few years back and thinking he was a beast- I never connected the dots that this was the dude we traded for until I saw him wrecking the game Monday.

just check out what colts fans had to saw about trading him away for peanuts:

https://forums.colts.com/topic/58071-henry-anderson-traded-to-jets/

clearly this guys was held in high regard by the fans

what a move !

Same here. I remember us playing against the Colts when he was a rookie thinking man this guy is gonna be good. Also he lost a lot of weight to play the 4 3 def and is still not all the early back yet. Great pick up by big mac

2 minutes ago, jayrad01 said:

Same here. I remember us playing against the Colts when he was a rookie thinking man this guy is gonna be good. Also he lost a lot of weight to play the 4 3 def and is still not all the early back yet. Great pick up by big mac

That’s the same game that stands out to me . When we first acquired him ., dude was a beast that game gave our Oline fits especially vs the run 

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Most complaints centered on what seems to be excessive conservatism with major decisions - picking high floor players at lesser positions, not pulling the trigger on tradeups, etc. 

I could see people saying that, and I get it, but it's reactionary. I think the Jets figure they'll take sure fire guys who are going to contribute and be around to start forming a sense of stability and positive culture. Once you have that in place you can take more chances because you already have something in place. Line drives will get you on base, but if all you do is take big swings and miss you'll never build anything and get some traction as they seem to have currently after week one.  

Just now, Embrace the Suck said:

I could see people saying that, and I get it, but it's reactionary. I think the Jets figure they'll take sure fire guys who are going to contribute and be around to start forming a sense of stability and positive culture. Once you have that in place you can take more chances because you already have something in place. Line drives will get you on base, but if all you do is take big swings and miss you'll never build anything and get some traction as they seem to have currently after week one.  

This philosophy might make more sense if they didn't select Brandon Marshall as a team leader.  I get that after the 2016 disaster they may have somewhat changed course.  Still, what good is "having guys that will be around" if their contracts are up as soon as something is in place?  Williams will make $14+M for 2019 and be an UFA in 2020.  

22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This philosophy might make more sense if they didn't select Brandon Marshall as a team leader. 

Well, there's always that. However, mandates often change at the whim of wealthy people as you made note of.

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Still, what good is "having guys that will be around" if their contracts are up as soon as something is in place?

Do you see a core at this point? I do. Time doesn't stop. If they had taken a bust instead of Leonard we wouldn't have a piece to build with that we have to think about paying. Adams, for all his controversy on this board, is a solid piece, who can grow, as opposed to another potential bust. Yes, not every guy we didn't draft is going to bust, but many will as the stats show. Remember Bryon Thomas, Vlad Ducass, Stephen Hill, Alex Van Dyke, Blair Thomas, or 'The bowling ball with butcher knives' I mean sh*t, I could go on forever. What does the team look like had they taken safe productive unsexy position players instead that contributed for years?

6 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Let not start sucking eat others d.cks quite yet. Everyone looked good last game. I do believe he will be a solid acquisition but I’m not ready to put his picture up on my mantle yet.

Oh cmon man, I’m almost done carving a replica of his hall of fame bust!

21 hours ago, Beerfish said:

What the hell are you even talking about, some of you people are so bloody paranoid that even praise is seen as critique.  People are universally praising him for the move.  You get praise when you make good moves and get blasted for what are seen as bad moves.

A nice element on this forum thinks he has made ALL good moves.

But to be fair, there is a nice element on this forum that thinks he as made only bad moves, and the good ones were nothing but dumb luck or no-brainer moves, so....

Archived