Best HC In College Football Today

TuscanyTile2

20 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

except that there is this guy named Nick Saban.....

That is what I thought this was about or Dabo Swinney, The Urban Meyer, etc...

Good list here;

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ranking-the-top-25-power-five-college-football-coaches-entering-the-2018-season/

but hey it was a funny (playing for s FG to win, LOL) I am glad Herm is enjoying his time

5 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Maybe I am parcel but the love he has for his players and the respect they have for him, I vote Scott Frost. As for Saben I question how many of his Pro prospect players come out as damaged goods.

Well ALABAMA had the most players total on opening weekend NFL rosters at 44. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

They're getting a good feel for who I am when it comes to that stuff because I create chaos all the time around here, but you have to be able to function in it." 

That has no resemblance to the poor HC who paraded himself around here ..... I do wish him well. Good guy all around. Met him in Charlotte a few years ago.

2 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

I'm a David Shaw fan. My starry-eyed dream is that he becomes Jets HC and develops Darnold.

He's by far my favorite.  

Stanford is the ONLY university in the country that we understand a recruit selecting over USC.  I think most west coast fans feel like us.  

What Coach Shaw has accomplished by fielding hard nosed physical teams, while drawing from the smallest recruiting pool in the country, is worth respect. A player must qualify academically, like any other student, to play football there, and Stanford is one of the most difficult schools to get into in the world.  Daddy's money and alumnus status cannot buy a son's acceptance to that school.

It pisses a lot of our fans off, but USC looks more toward reaching the Stanford model of elite academics and competitive football, than the other CFB powerhouses that are football factories.  

It will take a lot for Shaw to leave his Alma Mater for any other coaching job.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Hard to argue with this -- as much as it pains me to admit.

There is only one thing that bothers me about Saban....he was quoted as saying that he preferred the college game to the NFL because there was "too much parity" in the NFL.  Isn't that a little bit of a quitter mentality, king of the hill, or nothing? 

I do respect what he's accomplished in college football.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Might be Lincoln Riley.

Not sure how to judge saban.  His teams are utterly stacked every single year and I guess if you add recruiting to a coaches main abilities he would be the one perhaps.

Agree.  His record says hes great.  But the program has always sold itself and even more so today.  Pretty much 99% of the time hes coaching the most talent team on the field no matter who Alabama is matched up against that day

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Well ALABAMA had the most players total on opening weekend NFL rosters at 44. 

No surprise there.

USC is 7th with 32, but we also had 30 fewer scholarships to give than all of the schools in the country in D1, and it's just now showing up.  Our recruiting classes during sanctions still ranked top 5 in star ranking.  

We still lead in all time draft selections, and still tied with the Domers for most Pro FB Hall of Fame players.

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I live 20 minutes from ASU and Herm has this town buzzing a little bit.  My buddy saw Herm yesterday morning jogging around Tempe Town Lake and it immediately reminded me of Herm's days with the Jets when he was notorious for getting to the building by 4:30AM and working out before the players even started showing up at the facility.

I've always thought Herm would be best suited for college football given his ability to relate to players, his mentorship, etc.  Herm was never the best X's and O's guy but you don't have to be in college if you can get players to buy in and put them in situations that accentuate their skills and athleticism.  He has the Sun Devils believing.....at least for now. 

20 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Is Saban the best coach or does he pay his players the most?

Come now, you really think he has to pay players to go to Bama, with their tradition, and winning National Championships?  You can bend some rules....every program in D1 does that, and still not break any rule.  

I'm a prove it kind of person, and until proven without a doubt, it's just jealous BS.

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I live 20 minutes from ASU and Herm has this town buzzing a little bit.  My buddy saw Herm yesterday morning jogging around Tempe Town Lake and it immediately reminded me of Herm's days with the Jets when he was notorious for getting to the building by 4:30AM and working out before the players even started showing up at the facility.

I've always thought Herm would be best suited for college football given his ability to relate to players, his mentorship, etc.  Herm was never the best X's and O's guy but you don't have to be in college if you can get players to buy in and put them in situations that accentuate their skills and athleticism.  He has the Sun Devils believing.....at least for now. 

Herm was always better suited for college than nfl as a coach

1 minute ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Come now, you really think he has to pay players to go to Bama, with their tradition, and winning National Championships?  You can bend some rules....every program in D1 does that, and still not break any rule.  

I'm prove it kind of person, and until proven without a doubt, it's just jealous BS.

If you don’t think Nick Saban pays players I have some stock in Theranos I’d like to sell you

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Might be Lincoln Riley.

Not sure how to judge saban.  His teams are utterly stacked every single year and I guess if you add recruiting to a coaches main abilities he would be the one perhaps.

Recruiting is THE most important aspect of coaching college football.  It is far less about X’s and O’s than it is creating a winning culture and a strong recruiting pipeline.  Coordinators come and go, but keeping a stocked supply of 4 and 5 star recruits keeps you the top 10 every year.  You can have the best system with the best play caller  but if you don’t have the horses you aren’t winning anything in college.  

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm also interested to see how Sam Darnold does after taking a pay cut this year compared to what he made at USC.  :P 

Yup, we told him not to wear all that bling, show his tats and not drive that Porsche we gave him, in public.  Because no one wants to go to USC if you're not paid.....

39 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You guess?

Well yeah i guess.  We all know that recruiting is huge but is it coaching?  Who is the best coach in the NFL?  And why are we not asking who is the best GM in the NFL under our who is the best coach category?  Who is the best coach on the ny jets?  Mike McCagnan.

Nick Saban is a front runner.

Alabama throughout their historic history has I believe 16 or 17 NCAA National Championships. Almost impossible to fail with that Football program.

How'd he do during his two years with the Miami Dolphins? 15-17. How about with Michigan State? 34-24-1.  

The guy is overrated and hardly a football "genius". Well. Unless it's with Alabama that is. 

Archived