Bowles is not suited to be Head Coach

southparkcpa

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I would say that it should have been 11 as Bowles poor clock management and preparedness simply costs us 1.5 games a year. 

You've said this twice now so I'm curious what is the formula you use to determine that Bowles is the reason the Jets lose 1.5 games a year.

So after 3 full seasons you were able to pinpoint Bowles cost the Jets 4.5 games?

How about for the 2018 season. Was this past Dolphins game a full game or half game loss because of Bowles. I ask because I want to know if Bowles will cost us a full victory or half victory for the remaining 14 games.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

You've said this twice now so I'm curious what is the formula you use to determine that Bowles is the reason the Jets lose 1.5 games a year.

So after 3 full seasons you were able to pinpoint Bowles cost the Jets 4.5 games?

How about for the 2018 season. Was this past Dolphins game a full game or half game loss because of Bowles. I ask because I want to know if Bowles will cost us a full victory or half victory for the remaining 14 games.

so this sounds like sarcasm but I'll cite one example just for the fukk of it.

Last year vs the Pats.  We have a lead ball on or around midfield with about a minute to go.

He/his coaches let McCown throw.  McCown is picked off and they score.

Game management type stuff, preparedness, discipline.

22 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Last year vs the Pats.  We have a lead ball on or around midfield with about a minute to go.

Give me a break. Bowles gets killed for being too conservative or giving up on games. When he is aggressive and the player makes a bad play, in this case McCown, Bowles gets killed.  It was the right call to throw because we need points to beat the Pats.

It's easy to be a fan, because we can complain after it doesn't work.

18 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

you didn't answer my question of how you came up with Bowles costs the Jets 1.5 games a year.  So the Patriots game was a full game? What was the other 1/2 game Bowles cost the Jets last season.

So being aggressive because you're playing the Patriots, and letting McCown and the offense trying to score before the half with plenty of time is your example of poor game management, preparedness, and discipline? Interesting.

4 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

you didn't answer my question of how you came up with Bowles costs the Jets 1.5 games a year.  So the Patriots game was a full game? What was the other 1/2 game Bowles cost the Jets last season.

So being aggressive because you're playing the Patriots, and letting McCown and the offense trying to score before the half with plenty of time is your example of poor game management, preparedness, and discipline? Interesting.

If they ran the ball and fumbled..."damn conservative Bowles. We need an aggressive offensive minded HC and this wouldn't happen"

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He was last season and we're 2 games into this season. 

Huh? Did you watch the team or just rely on meaningless preseason predictions?  That team should have won at least 3 more games and did things we haven't seen since the kotite era as far as blowing leads. He's a bad HC, been that way basically since day 1.  A talented team vs a cupcake sched masked it most of year 1(until the biggest game since 2010 happened and they lost to an injured, dead, less talented Buffalo team with the playoffs on the line) but it's been pretty clear ever since.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Huh? Did you watch the team or just rely on meaningless preseason predictions?  That team should have won at least 3 more games and did things we haven't seen since the kotite era as far as blowing leads. He's a bad HC, been that way basically since day 1.  A talented team vs a cupcake sched masked it most of year 1(until the biggest game since 2010 happened and they lost to an injured, dead, less talented Buffalo team with the playoffs on the line) but it's been pretty clear ever since.

meaningless? 3/4 of this board didn't think they would win a game..

yep and he said that was a focus this year w/the coaches, him, players..

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Here in Charlotte...  I watch Ron Rivera, and through his years he has developed players, brought in good assistants that go on to become HC's and he has not always had the best talent.  When they lose, and they do like yesterday, its more likely poor execution, beat by a better team etc.  You don't see the time and again defensive penalties that you see with the Jets the last few years.

They simply appear to be cut from a different cloth.  I don't see Rivera's qualities in Bowles.  

The penalty problem was a problem with the Jets just last year. If you're saying penalties are tied to discipline, than the Jets were among the most disciplined teams under Bowles in 2015 (Jets ranked 4th in lowest number of penalties, Carolina ranked 12th) and in 2016 (Jets ranked 5th, Carolina ranked 8th). The whole roster went through an upheaval last year, which probably contributed to the spike in penalties.

25 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Well not based on your criteria. 

BTW-I'm not making this Bowles vs Rivera (who I like)...But I'm pretty sure Geno, Fitz and McCown have never been compared to Cam Newton 

Thats fair, and I respect your opinion, but living here I can tell you Rivera does much more tha Bowles in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Thats fair, and I respect your opinion, but living here I can tell you Rivera does much more tha Bowles in my opinion. 

Understand. 

Penalty rankings by year 

2015 - Jets 4th w/6 a game:  Panthers 12th 6.5

2016 - Jets 5th w/5.8            Panthers 8th 6.1

2017 - Jets 28th w/7.4          Panthers 1st 5.0

2018 Only 2 games Jets 15th w/7  Panthers 22nd w/8

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game?date=2018-09-17

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

meaningless? 3/4 of this board didn't think they would win a game..

yep and he said that was a focus this year w/the coaches, him, players..

Who cares? Did anyone think Philly would win SB last year? Things change quickly in this league, preseason expectations tend to be meaningless for most teams (outside of the teams with elite QBs like NE, GB, no, Pitt).  We should have won at least 3 more games last year and we blew big leads at a historical rate matching things that hadn't been done here since the kotite years.

The man is an awful HC, I'll still root for him to get better but by year 4 he should be getting it by now.  

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes of course...  but Dmans post below I think is excellent.  Its little things that Bowles isn't doing. I am starting to think he can't. I manage people..  at some point everyone hits their cerebral limit.   

If you're picking on false starts, we don't know for sure if it's Bowles not having them focused or Darnold stumbling through a cadence. 

5 hours ago, DMan77 said:

I think TB is a good coach, but a poor disciplinarian... Which I could understand people believing is a major part of being a coach. 

If you take a handful of those silly penalties (especially the false starts) away, it's a whole different game and a whole different impression left by TB. Some of that is on the players for sure, but TB needs to get them focused.

Never really understood the point of when a team gets penalties, it's all on the HC because he doesn't have them focused or disciplined. 

When I think back to the Parcells defenses his two years with the Jets, I shake my head.  These guys Bowles put sout there make dumb play after dumb play.  Parcells would not put up with that.  He insisted that his D guys play smart and they were coached that way.  BB is the same.   Bowles does not produce smart defensive players.  He does not appear to insist on low penalty, high turnover defense.  I f you were doing dumb things, he yanked you on the spot.  I never see accountability from Bowles.  How many times should Skrine have been pulled off the field in his years here and had his face chewed off?

16 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Never really understood the point of when a team gets penalties, it's all on the HC because he doesn't have them focused or disciplined. 

I don't think it's all on him, but he's a part of it, no?

As others have mentioned I'm fine with not passing any blame over to him for the false start and such. That's the team leaning Sam's snap counts and motions and such.

And even if the penalties themselves aren't the coaches fault, it's still his duty to address them with the team and try to fix them. Maybe he can't stop Skrine from being the most penalized CB in the league but he can at least try... So hopefully he is. 

3 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I don't think it's all on him, but he's a part of it, no?

As others have mentioned I'm fine with not passing any blame over to him for the false start and such. That's the team leaning Sam's snap counts and motions and such.

And even if the penalties themselves aren't the coaches fault, it's still his duty to address them with the team and try to fix them. Maybe he can't stop Skrine from being the most penalized CB in the league but he can at least try... So hopefully he is. 

I'm confident in saying DB coach Dennard Wilson is doing all he can w/Skrine. I'm also confident in saying Wilson will be a future DCoord and/or HC in time. 

As for penalties. I ask how is false start penalties by a 6+ yr veterans (Winters and Carpenter) a HC's fault?  

And I again reference what Boomer Esiason has been saying all summer. If you start Sam Darnold (which he has been in favor of) prepare yourself for an up and down year not just by him but the offense w/false starts, sacks etc.. due to his learning curve, communication issues, line calls etc. And he wasn't knocking Sam..It's expected. Also after two games he has really liked what he's seen of Sam and how Bates is bringing him along

On 9/16/2018 at 4:21 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

He put Adams exactly where he needed to be at the end. He let Darnold sling it the entire game and the entire offense let him down. At some point this sh*t falls on the players.

Exactly.  Or how about this, sometimes the other team is better or makes more plays.  Nah, cant be, has to be that our HC sucks.  Every loss can be explained away this way.  Plus its much easier to just Its so much easier to spin the pinwheel of cliches of why a HC sucks and just rattle off whats wrong with a coach.  We've heard the same tires old excuses for Parcells, Herm, Groh, Mangini, Rex and now Bowles.  

Whats the issue with Gaily retiring and Morton getting fired?  How has that hurt us?  

Clock management?  One of those complaints that every staff can be accused of one time or another.  

We bitch that hes like Rex, wants to run, run run.  Going on the 4th season, with a rookie QB and we still pass.  But people still argue his a ground and pound HC. 

You read and wonder what game some watch, what sport theyre watching

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly.  Or how about this, sometimes the other team is better or makes more plays.  Nah, cant be, has to be that our HC sucks.  Every loss can be explained away this way.  Plus its much easier to just Its so much easier to spin the pinwheel of cliches of why a HC sucks and just rattle off whats wrong with a coach.  We've heard the same tires old excuses for Parcells, Herm, Groh, Mangini, Rex and now Bowles.  

Whats the issue with Gaily retiring and Morton getting fired?  How has that hurt us?  

Clock management?  One of those complaints that every staff can be accused of one time or another.  

We bitch that hes like Rex, wants to run, run run.  Going on the 4th season, with a rookie QB and we still pass.  But people still argue his a ground and pound HC. 

You read and wonder what game some watch, what sport theyre watching

His teams are never prepared, his teams can never handle prosperity. Once something good happens something bad is on the way.  It's been a theme since his first year.  Every loss isn't his fault but with the team always looks the same in losses you can attribute much of that to the leader.

He's been awful, he got lucky with a talented team and easy sched yr 1 to inflate the record but of course his team didn't show up and he was out coached by Rex in our biggest game since 2010.   2016 had high expectations and the season was over by October 2017 low expectations but we had more talent than given credit for and should have won about 3 more games at least.  He also achieved things not seen since kotite such as blowing a 14 pt 4th qtr lead (to a bad team no less).

We need new leadership but our acting owner doesn't hold anyone accountable so he'll be back in 2019 regardless what happens.  

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

His teams are never prepared, his teams can never handle prosperity. Once something good happens something bad is on the way.  It's been a theme since his first year.  Every loss isn't his fault but with the team always looks the same in losses you can attribute much of that to the leader.

He's been awful, he got lucky with a talented team and easy sched yr 1 to inflate the record but of course his team didn't show up and he was out coached by Rex in our biggest game since 2010.   2016 had high expectations and the season was over by October 2017 low expectations but we had more talent than given credit for and should have won about 3 more games at least.  He also achieved things not seen since kotite such as blowing a 14 pt 4th qtr lead (to a bad team no less).

We need new leadership but our acting owner doesn't hold anyone accountable so he'll be back in 2019 regardless what happens.  

What do you mean they are never prepared? You bitched they should have won 3 more games last year. How can they not be prepared if they were in position to win 8 games last yr?

never his fault? According to whom? He stood up the other day and said we lost, nobody coached well. 

He’s not Parcells or Walsh. People don’t like him. I get it. He’s stoic and I’m sure there are other “reasons” but at least stop using cliches. 

Let me guess. You said Bowles would never start Darnold week 1  

So since everything is Bowles fault and his teams can’t handle prosperity you’d be all for having Fitz or McCown start the rest of the season. 

The acting owner doesn’t hold anyone accountable?  Because they only won 5 games last yr? There’s no comparison between Chris and Woody. I hope they never give woody his passport back

Need new leadership?  What does that mean?  New GM too?  So name HC replacements. Name Asst coach replacements. Name GM replacemts. Name systems you want to run. So we can start the GM/HC merry go round again..yeah that’s worked out so well the past 40 yrs

On 9/17/2018 at 11:21 AM, southparkcpa said:

Here in Charlotte...  I watch Ron Rivera, and through his years he has developed players, brought in good assistants that go on to become HC's and he has not always had the best talent.  When they lose, and they do like yesterday, its more likely poor execution, beat by a better team etc.  You don't see the time and again defensive penalties that you see with the Jets the last few years.

They simply appear to be cut from a different cloth.  I don't see Rivera's qualities in Bowles.  

I live in North Myrtle Beach. Rivera and his staff have done nothing to develop Cam Newton since he got there. And please, be real here, the Panthers are an afterthought down here. It’s all about college football. Rivera coach’s in a vacuum. This fan base would rip him to shreds. On one hand they said they were all in on Suck for Sam last year. The coach gets 5 wins out of a roster everyone thought couldn’t win 2. They forget that. Then we get Darnold and they all say “Let’s be patient, let him develop”.Now they want to fire the coach at 1-1. What a group of armchair GMs they are. Want to see how bad? Throw out a name, cause they won’t, and watch them attack each other. Here goes, just for laughs..... HIRE JIM HARBAUGH!

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I live in North Myrtle Beach. Rivera and his staff have done nothing to develop Cam Newton since he got there. And please, be real here, the Panthers are an afterthought down here. It’s all about college football. Rivers coach’s in a vacuum. This fan base would rip him to shreds. On one hand they said they were all in on Suck for Sam last year. The coach gets 5 wins out of a roster everyone thought couldn’t win 2. They forget that. Now they want to fire him at 1-1. What a group of armchair GMs they are. Want to see how bad? Throw out a name, cause they won’t, and watch them attack each other. Here goes, just for laughs..... HIRE JIM HARBAUGH!

North Myrtle???  LOVE North Myrtle but it ain’t Charlotte.  That’s like a Buffalo native commenting on the Yankees. I live here, in the city. The Panthers GM and a few players are members where I play golf.  Panthers are HUGE here.

THIS CITY is all in for Panthers.  You are 200 miles away.   BUT... yes, Cam is not elite, but Rivera works to his strengths best he can.  he is not stubborn.  Rivera would be hired tomorrow if fired, Bowles would not as a HC. 

Ever get up to Wilmington to watch with the Port City JETS???  Good group. 

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

North Myrtle???  LOVE North Myrtle but it ain’t Charlotte.  That’s like a Buffalo native commenting on the Yankees. I live here, in the city. The Panthers GM and a few players are members where I play golf.  Panthers are HUGE here.

THIS CITY is all in for Panthers.  You are 200 miles away.   BUT... yes, Cam is not elite, but Rivera works to his strengths best he can.  he is not stubborn.  Rivera would be hired tomorrow if fired, Bowles would not as a HC. 

Stop. You can’t say that. You aren’t an owner. People said that about Mangini. Cleveland hired him. People, probably you, Said it about Herm, who you said was terrible. Hell KC gave the Jets a 4th. 

So please stop saying stuff you can’t back up. 

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Sounds like that would be fun. I’m up on Long Island now, came up to escape Florence. Ok if I get some info about them when I get back next week? You guys get hit with the storm at all?

19 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Stop. You can’t say that. You aren’t an owner. People said that about Mangini. Cleveland hired him. People, probably you, Said it about Herm, who you said was terrible. Hell KC gave the Jets a 4th. 

So please stop saying stuff you can’t back up. 

I’ll double down....   I was right on both.  Herm and Mangini continued as failures as HCs.  I’d think you could do a better job than some of these execs.  I’d think  I told you..the GM of the Bills was an intern in my form in 1996, they are regular people.  

The HC of the Cardinals lived in my neighborhood as of 8 months ago when he was DC for the Panthers. They are regular people. 

So.. I’ll rephrase..  he will not win as a HC if hired again. Bowles , from what we can see, is NOT HC material. i feel about him as I felt about Vlad Ducasse. 

Archived