I'm Not Upset

DMan77

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Better, sure.  But still not a franchise guy.  It's one thing to beat up on our weak secondary.  It's another thing to expect him to do anything against a Top-10 defense. 

Dolphins go nowhere.  We go nowhere.  That Fitzpatrick guy is a nice player

1 minute ago, slowmoe57 said:

Miami took advantage of our mistakes. We did not take advantage of their mistakes. We lose. Not pleased with the outcome ast all. Then again not expecting miracles either. I liked what I saw and only place we can go is up. On to Cleveland.

The one thing about Bowles teams is that they are mentally inconsistent.  I am also not fond of Rodgers as our DC.  Apparently he IS calling the plays.

1 hour ago, DMan77 said:

To really be upset I'd have to see things I wasn't expecting overall.

We knew this team didn't have a good offensive line - so I'm not surprised or upset they played poorly.

We knew this team didn't have much of a pass rush - so I'm not surprised or upset they played poorly.

We knew we had a rookie QB who was going to have growing pains - so I'm not surprised or upset by the INTs.

We knew this team sometimes gets eaten alive by penalties and mistakes - so I'm not surprised or upset they played poorly.

I thought there were a lot of good signs though. Darnold looked really good, and he had guys in his face all day. Our up-the-middle defense is pretty good, we just need to find ways to contain guys on the edge. They also need to come out faster. They went really conservative today and it bit them in the butt until late in the game.

So of course I wish they would have won and I'd love to have seen them score another 50 points... But really the problem areas were things we knew about already. And the bright spots looked good and there's still hope on the horizon. This was overall a forgettable game in the longrun. Looking forward to seeing how they bounce back... Need to find some discipline though. 

Darnold had some rookie mistakes, but at the end of the day even in the loss the kid looked the part of a future stud franchise QB to me so the least upset I’ve been over a loss when I had high expectations going in.

17 hours ago, dbatesman said:

One thing I’ve always loved about this place is that after a tough loss there will be maybe a half-dozen threads about it, and inevitably three will have titles like “On the bright side...” and the other three will have titles like “Every Person Employed By This Franchise Should Be Publicly Euthanized”

Hah, true. Although mine wasn't meant to be overly optimistic and happy-go-lucky. More like things went the way I thought they would... Like back in school, if I didn't study for a test and I got a C-. I wouldn't get that upset because I wasn't expecting much more. But that doesn't mean I celebrated it, you know?

17 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

We lost to the Dolphins and you're not upset. Are you a Jets fan?

Eh as some others pointed out, that's not really what I was saying. I'm not excited to lose, but it was basically the type of performance I expected. 

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

This is why it was laughable to see some of you making broad stroke assumptions off 1 game, last week. 

The truth is somewhere in the middle. We're going to be competitive, we're going to win some games and lose some and we'll earned it either way. Today we clearly earned the loss. Darnold/Bates/WRs made too many mistakes to overcome. Not the end of the world. 

This rotating personnel thing though, i don't like it. 

Yep, it's absolutly somewhere in the middle. That's going to be what happens this year, I really believe that. We're going to have games like this with mistakes, a broken OL, no pass rush... But then we're also going to have some games where Danrold shines and someone is the hero. The Jets are right in the middle here. They lack a few big pieces, and they make mistakes, but they're also talented enough to be competitive. That's basically my expectation game to game.

16 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I agree with most of this. This is the team we expect: rookie QB; young TEs, rag-tag team at WR (for the most part), average to weak OL (average on run, weak on pass) and a good D without edge guys (no pressure means the D will tire faster). 

The thing that disappointed me the most was the lack of rolling Sam out. You have an athletic QB that almost throws better on the run and a weak OL, not sure what we proved by having set back in the pocket to pass.

Ya, good point. I think they were really scared of the outside rush. And maybe they expected more CB blitzes to keep Sam contained... All you've heard the past few days is how much Sam loves to roll out. So maybe the Jets figured they'd be guarding against that? I don't know. They certainly looked a lot better later in the game when they just let Sam basically make things up and throw it.

16 hours ago, slowmoe57 said:

Miami took advantage of our mistakes. We did not take advantage of their mistakes. We lose. Not pleased with the outcome ast all. Then again not expecting miracles either. I liked what I saw and only place we can go is up. On to Cleveland.

Yep. It would have been a great win, but nothing happened that didn't fall within what I thought could happen. We knew going in that our OL was trouble and that proved to be true for most of the game. I wish we had taken advantage of those mistakes, but the Jets aren't going to be 100% in that category. 

The next morning here the biggest bummer is still the lack of discipline. Can't have those mental errors... And not just the penalties, but the route running, the drops, the play calls... They just really need to tighten it up.

One thing Miami did that I really like is that a handful of times instead of just running a basic play up the middle they'd have Tannehill throw a quick little 10 foot pass to the RB or to a WR and just let them try and do something. 

I'd like to see the Jets do that more. Just see what Sam can do, even on plays that are basically just runs disguised as 2 yard passes. Just get him used to it. Let him loose and see what happens. Push the aggressiveness. 

16 hours ago, jack48 said:

I think Gase probably does make Tannehill better.  I have always thought he had that "important interception gene" myself

Tannehill underrated. Not saying he is joe Montana but he isn’t Geno Smith, Either. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Tannehill underrated. Not saying he is joe Montana but he isn’t Geno Smith, Either. 

Saying someone isn't Geno Smith is not a compliment.  And he isn't underrated or overrated; he is what he is.  He'll throw with accuracy but lacks arm strength.  He beats bad teams but can't handle tough defenses.  He's basically a more athletic, less injury prone Chad Pennington, or a poor man's Alex Smith.  A guy who makes a lot of money in this league but doesn't win d*ck. 

Dolphins are in no-man's land.  Perpetually around 7-9 or 8-8 type of team.  And that's just where we want them for perpetuity.  Because if they don't hit rock bottom, they won't change. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Saying someone isn't Geno Smith is not a compliment.  And he isn't underrated or overrated; he is what he is.  He'll throw with accuracy but lacks arm strength.  He beats bad teams but can't handle tough defenses.  He's basically a more athletic, less injury prone Chad Pennington, or a poor man's Alex Smith.  A guy who makes a lot of money in this league but doesn't win d*ck. 

Dolphins are in no-man's land.  Perpetually q1 nd around 7-9 or 8-8 type of team.  And that's just where we want them for perpetuity.  Because if they don't hit rock bottom, they won't change. 

Yep, hes the worst case scenario. Not bad enough to cut and run or land a top 5 pick, not good enough to win a SB. No man's land 

18 hours ago, jack48 said:

Dolphins go nowhere.  We go nowhere.  That Fitzpatrick guy is a nice player

I was leaving the game yesterday and a Dolphin fan says hows your rookie QB now. I said seriously where  are your Dolphins headed with Ryan Tannehide . In 4 years Darnold will be 25 , Tannehill will be working at which Costco. 

20 hours ago, RESNewYork said:

Frustrating loss but it's early. Plus team could have folded, Sam could have folded but the Jets did try and fight back.

It wasn't positive today but I liked the more aggressive approach and I think this will pay off as the season progresses. Especially for Sam.

Aggressive is Kryptonite in Bowles dictionary

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I was leaving the game yesterday and a Dolphin fan says hows your rookie QB now. I said seriously where  are your Dolphins headed with Ryan Tannehide . In 4 years Darnold will be 25 , Tannehill will be working at which Costco. 

He just did them for 330 yards with some serious drops by Pryor and Herndon.  Our problem was an OL that could not get it done.  Typical Dolphin fan.

To really be upset I'd have to see things I wasn't expecting overall.
We knew this team didn't have a good offensive line - so I'm not surprised or upset they played poorly.
We knew this team didn't have much of a pass rush - so I'm not surprised or upset they played poorly.
We knew we had a rookie QB who was going to have growing pains - so I'm not surprised or upset by the INTs.
We knew this team sometimes gets eaten alive by penalties and mistakes - so I'm not surprised or upset they played poorly.
I thought there were a lot of good signs though. Darnold looked really good, and he had guys in his face all day. Our up-the-middle defense is pretty good, we just need to find ways to contain guys on the edge. They also need to come out faster. They went really conservative today and it bit them in the butt until late in the game.
So of course I wish they would have won and I'd love to have seen them score another 50 points... But really the problem areas were things we knew about already. And the bright spots looked good and there's still hope on the horizon. This was overall a forgettable game in the longrun. Looking forward to seeing how they bounce back... Need to find some discipline though. 

The calm words of patience. I think you pretty much nailed it.
It’s going to be frustrating this season but if we can just calm down and watch our franchise qb learn the ropes, this can be quite fun to behold.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 9/16/2018 at 4:38 PM, Creepy Lurker said:

Agreed completely with above posts but anyone that is upset, has a right to be. It’s not SOJF, it’s demanding improvement and seeing the same things still.

There were ALOT of positives though but the issues that we worried about before the season started did in fact show up. On to Cleveland on a short week and hopefully our young team will settle in and be more consistent. Detroit to Miami was night and day but Sam is starting to open it up.

I grade him differently than the team and agree with what Bart Scott just said about him. He would have won a super bowl with him. If we had Sam in 09-10, I think we would have. We have something special here.

Really? So coming off an opening day big win against an NFC opponent -then coming home and on your HOME OPENER in front of a sell out home crowd you get embarrassed and lose to an AFC rival ? A game that unlike the Lions WILL matter .  And that’s not SOJ???

23 minutes ago, aagarcia said:

Really? So coming off an opening day big win against an NFC opponent -then coming home and on your HOME OPENER in front of a sell out home crowd you get embarrassed and lose to an AFC rival ? A game that unlike the Lions WILL matter .  And that’s not SOJ???

You misread. It’s completely “SOJ”. I was saying that fans being upset and complaining is NOT “SOJF”. They have a right to be upset and I hate that term since it implies they are nothing but negative but many of them have legitimate gripes. 

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dolphins are in no-man's land.  Perpetually around 7-9 or 8-8 type of team.  And that's just where we want them for perpetuity.  Because if they don't hit rock bottom, they won't change. 

Yeah not pretending it’s a compliment just saying the way some people talk about him, they put him on par with Geno. He’s a good player and is currently winning games with a cast of nobodies to throw to. #NoWeaponzNoProblem

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, jack48 said:

The second INT was all Pryor's fault.  QB hast to trust his receivers.  How can you be running a crossing pattern in the end zone and not have your head turned around to face the QB?  He might have caught tht, and definitely could have prevented an INT. The first INT was all Sam.  Protection sucked in the first half.  Things improved when Sam started making his own space.  Back to Pryor--does he give a sh*t?  He also dropped 2 and that third and twenty where Sam rolled to his right and threw ilt downfield--Pryor was between 2 Dbacks and Sam put it right into his slippery hands. The kid has arm talent. I saw him make throws like that in college.  As for the loss---i have not had a single thought this season about the Jets making the p'ost season, not even after Monday night.  OUr D is a bit of a bullsh*tting D.  They have talent but no brains.  KC has to be a dope to have Avery covering and Ray on the sideline.l  The O LIne will stink against teams with rushing talent.  The box will be stacked Thursday night.  Sam was okay, showed he can go vertical. Hope they let him do it Thursday night.  We may actually have to pass to set up the run.

QFT

Archived