I thought Darnold played better than week 1

nico002

If our 1st rd pick isn’t the best OL or WR available....heads must roll!

Not sure if last week was better then this week or vice versa, but I like the way he came back from mistakes...and played with urgency and control coming from behind on the scoreboard. If you give him protection and receivers worth a damn he can make things happen, both in the pocket and when protection breaks down.  The top priority is building around Sam moving forward! 

12 minutes ago, HoustonJet said:

Yup let’s be fair, he had a bad game.

I disagree. He threw for 330 yards while getting harassed all day, with no one to rely on other than Quincy. 2nd Int was on lazy ass Pryor. Maybe that why they hated him in Washington.

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Protect this guy, add another weapon and he will be outstanding. Oh and get rid of Bowles. 

I’ve been bitching about this all season. Darnold is the long term future. Concentrate on the oline and adding weapons on offense and he’ll take this team far. He shows the balls needed to be a good nfl qb. Nothing rattles him. 

6 minutes ago, HoustonJet said:

A good QB converts those but he’ll learn. Sam rushed rushed things a bit there, Enunwa was wide open

No you don’t understand, no qb would have hit him cause he wasn’t open. He got open literally after the ball was thrown. A qb would have to hold the ball for a stupid amount of time to see that

35 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This is the biggest take away of the offense so far.  I’ll throw in Crowell as he’s played well.  Anderson is worth points some games but he is really a one trick pony and the TEs all seem replaceable.

I'll give you Crowell. I think he's a good player. 

The TEs have sucked so far.

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Him, Powell, and Enunwa are the only offensive players worth a damn. 

I don't agree with this.  Crowell is good.  Robby is good.  It was just one of those frustrating divisional games where two things go wrong... and then only one goes right.   Give the Dolphins defense some credit...

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I don't agree with this.  Crowell is good.  Robby is good.  It was just one of those frustrating divisional games where two things go wrong... and then only one goes right.   Give the Dolphins defense some credit...

I do. Their D-Line dominated the LOS. Also their punter was phenomenal.

Bottom line...the kid wasn't great...wasn't terrible either. 

He's a rookie, 21 year old QB playing in his first division game in the NFL.  That's a tough spot.

Under the circumstances he showed plenty to keep me excited that he's the savior we've been waiting for....He has a long way to go and, in the short-run, we should expect and be patient with a lot of what we got today. 

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

The team as a whole didn’t excecute but I saw some great things from Sam 

he completed 60% of his passes and threw for 335 yards  

the first int was a bad play- the second int was Pryor running a lazy route 

He made a ton of super impressive throws, the best being the Herndon drop 

in th second half he looked like the best player on the field 

I agree

Darnold will be fine but today was not a good day for him. I had 45 yd line seats in the 200 section. Seeing the whole field was amazing. Unfortunately I saw darnold ignore the deeper open routes time and again. Anderson was running free most of the afternoon and wasn't targeted. He didn't trust himself today, waiting far too long to let the ball go (as you saw with the Enunwa miss in the end zone).  Then there were the picks.  No excuses he just didn't play that well. Probably because hes 21 and this is the second professional football game hes ever played.  Hes got all the tools, and he's going to get better. Today just wasn't his day. 

18 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Darnold will be fine but today was not a good day for him. I had 45 yd line seats in the 200 section. Seeing the whole field was amazing. Unfortunately I saw darnold ignore the deeper open routes time and again. Anderson was running free most of the afternoon and wasn't targeted. He didn't trust himself today, waiting far too long to let the ball go (as you saw with the Enunwa miss in the end zone).  Then there were the picks.  No excuses he just didn't play that well. Probably because hes 21 and this is the second professional football game hes ever played.  Hes got all the tools, and he's going to get better. Today just wasn't his day. 

I was wondering about this.  There was 2 or 3 times Darnold seemed to be interested in the deep ball and didn't pull the trigger.

I would challenge anyone to tell me he didn't play better today than he did on Monday, if Herndon scores before halftime, doesn't drop that ball, Pryor doesn't run that lazy route in the end zone, or He caught the ball that went right through his hands.  

He was good Monday, no doubt, and He struggled early today with the rush, but all in all, he played better today.  He had absolutely no running game, the Dolphins have a far superior defensive line, who harassed him most of the day, and still made more plays than he didn't.  JMO. 

He just missed the long ball to Q early, while he was on the run, but he did miss it.  He got fooled on the first interception by a well played defender, and he threw a poor pass to Anderson while under duress.  He also didn't see the wide open Quincy when he threw the ball out of the back of the end zone.  Other than that, I can't think of any play I could say he looked like a rookie.  Even then, those are mistakes veterans make.  

I personally wasn't happy with the pick, and I am happy to eat crow on that to date.  The kid looks legit.  

I agree. He looked better this week. Once he got in a groove you can tell things were moving better. 

Only glaring mistake I saw was the first INT. Rest of the day? Anderson killed a drive with a fumble. Pryor runs a lazy route. Herndon drops a perfect pass for a big first down. And also doesn’t make it to the endzone before the half. Add on top of that the false starts and sacks, and it’s a miracle they still had a chance. 

Imo I wanna see more Kearse and less Pryor.  Get Powell and Crowell in space more. And cut down the WR screens, I just hate that play. 

Well I'm Still excited about this Season. Look this season is not about wins and losses. It's about experience and development. I know guys are hungry to win. We all are. It's going to take time and now maybe guys will realize that this season will be one of the toughest in terms of expectations. I will enjoy watching Darnold learn and grow as the season progresses. Whatever happens record wise is irrelevant this year. As long as Sam keeps doing what he is doing I will be on board. 

6 hours ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Other than his first pick which led to dolphins 7, what else could he have done? I put the second pick mostly on Pryor who doesn’t seem to finish his routes and soft and does not fight for the ball. Also, his receivers fumbled, ran terrible routes, made bonehead plays and or dropped passes in their hands. And the refs contributed to our loss as much as darnold.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Stop blaming the refs. Sam made some good plays, but he made plenty of bad throws also. The last two of the first half were horrible. He missed a wide open receiver in the end zone, then the last pass to Herndon should’ve been into the end zone if you’re going over the middle with no time outs. Bottom line, he cost us at least a 21 point swing with his mistakes today. I don’t blame him for everything that went wrong out there today, but let’s not act like he wasn’t a big part of it. Hopefully he learns from it and keeps getting better, I really think he’s the type of QB we’ve been waiting for. It’s going to take time though.

8 hours ago, HoustonJet said:

Yup let’s be fair, he had a bad game.

Fair?  That's ludicrous.  What do you expect, that he hits on 100% of his passes?Anyone can focus on the plays where a QB didn't connect and blame those plays, but doesn't capture the whole picture. Even with all the drops he still managed over a 60% completion rate against a team that 100% over matched us.  How many great passes did he throw on the run?  This kid is special and he's only gonna get better.  Sadly some posters will always look at the negative.  I just hope we don't destroy this kid with unrealistic expectations that no one can live up to.  

Stop blaming the refs. Sam made some good plays, but he made plenty of bad throws also. The last two of the first half were horrible. He missed a wide open receiver in the end zone, then the last pass to Herndon should’ve been into the end zone if you’re going over the middle with no time outs. Bottom line, he cost us at least a 21 point swing with his mistakes today. I don’t blame him for everything that went wrong out there today, but let’s not act like he wasn’t a big part of it. Hopefully he learns from it and keeps getting better, I really think he’s the type of QB we’ve been waiting for. It’s going to take time though.

I disagree:

1. There should have been a pi call in the end zone. 10 out of 10 posters on the board would agree.
2. The ball to enunwa was being thrown away, he was being double covered and the defenders broke off when the ball was in the air.
3. Pryor ran a terrible route and needs to get his head turned and find the ball. The postgame guys on sny ripped Pryor.
4. Herndon is a rookie and he has to stick the ball over the goaline. The pass was on the money. If you have a problem with the playcall, then that’s another story. Also, the dolphins were loaded up at the goaline on that play and that’s why the pass was thrown where it was.
5. As I said, his first pick was on him and the defense couldn’t make a stop. The same thing on Robbie’s fumble
6. Other than Q, the receivers were terrible as well as the o line.
7. The kid still threw for over 300 yards and over 60% completion.

12 hours ago, nico002 said:

The team as a whole didn’t excecute but I saw some great things from Sam 

he completed 60% of his passes and threw for 335 yards  

the first int was a bad play- the second int was Pryor running a lazy route 

He made a ton of super impressive throws, the best being the Herndon drop 

in th second half he looked like the best player on the field 

QBs have to throw to spots on designed plays and trust their receivers.  What was encouraging to me is that Sam showed a lot of production when they had to open it up.  He also threw his INTs early in the game when they had the restraints on, to some degree.  Sam can play a big, open, vertical game, you do not have to rein him in.  Pryor also dropped a couple, one a big play throw and a thing of beauty.  Herndon dropped two.  Robby fumbled it away. Those guys promise to get better, stood up for their QB, and that encourages me.

1 hour ago, JetsYanks13 said:

I disagree:

1. There should have been a pi call in the end zone. 10 out of 10 posters on the board would agree.
2. The ball to enunwa was being thrown away, he was being double covered and the defenders broke off when the ball was in the air.
3. Pryor ran a terrible route and needs to get his head turned and find the ball. The postgame guys on sny ripped Pryor.
4. Herndon is a rookie and he has to stick the ball over the goaline. The pass was on the money. If you have a problem with the playcall, then that’s another story. Also, the dolphins were loaded up at the goaline on that play and that’s why the pass was thrown where it was.
5. As I said, his first pick was on him and the defense couldn’t make a stop. The same thing on Robbie’s fumble
6. Other than Q, the receivers were terrible as well as the o line.
7. The kid still threw for over 300 yards and over 60% completion.

I also think it is fair to assume that a 240 lb. TE on the move should be able to catch a ball and barrel into the end zone.  I guess the guy made a great tackle, but how often doyou see that?  My first reaction was that Herndon is not that physical. Hope I am wrong.

8 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I agree. He looked better this week. Once he got in a groove you can tell things were moving better. 

Only glaring mistake I saw was the first INT. Rest of the day? Anderson killed a drive with a fumble. Pryor runs a lazy route. Herndon drops a perfect pass for a big first down. And also doesn’t make it to the endzone before the half. Add on top of that the false starts and sacks, and it’s a miracle they still had a chance. 

Imo I wanna see more Kearse and less Pryor.  Get Powell and Crowell in space more. And cut down the WR screens, I just hate that play. 

I think Sam gets in a groove once the coaches take the gloves off.  A lot of QBs can throw an INT-or two--and still put 35 up.  I will take that.  Might be tough with this crew of receivers, but I think he can get close.  And it looks like he will have to, because other offenses(coordinators) are smarter than our defense (coordinator)  Our players are not coached to think on the field, at least not in situations. I was amazed when I heard Bart after the game saying our LBs do not line up deep enough-they should be 5 yards off the line, not 3---and then giving a really lucid explanation that you play more downhill when you can see more in front of you. If I have seen the Jet D cave late when they need the ball once I have seen it dozens of times.  That third and 19 almost made me throw up. It was the stupidest thing I ever saw.  I still do not trust our coaches, even if Bowles did show some daring yesterday at the end of the half.

He didn't play better but he didn't play as poorly as people think yesterday. He had rookie moments which we should expect but I never felt out of the game with him even after the end of the 1st half debacle, even after the ez int.  He still made plays and should have made more if not for some drops.

I am very confident in this young QB.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He didn't play better but he didn't play as poorly as people think yesterday. He had rookie moments which we should expect but I never felt out of the game with him even after the end of the 1st half debacle, even after the ez int.  He still made plays and should have made more if not for some drops.

I am very confident in this young QB.

He threw for 334 yards and was victimized by bad drops.  Did he make some rookie errors? Absolutely! Make no mistake however, he was the right pick and I am very confident he will be our QB for the long term. Lets hope this regime understands that it is important to give him the right support to grow!

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

He threw for 334 yards and was victimized by bad drops.  Did he make some rookie errors? Absolutely! Make no mistake however, he was the right pick and I am very confident he will be our QB for the long term. Lets hope this regime understands that it is important to give him the right support to grow!

Yardage can be overrated but I agree on everything else.  I am 100% sold on him, the problem I see on this yeah is the HC

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

He didn't play better but he didn't play as poorly as people think yesterday.

The 1st pick and the wasted opportunity before the half were the only real bonehead rookie things.  Otherwise, he did a good job - made a couple of throws that we Jets fans have seen very few times over the years - the pass Herndon dropped for one

Very encouraged by Darnold so far.  He made a few rookie mistakes but that is to be expected.  This was a typical game that got away from a team that is learning how to win but didn't execute when it mattered most.  This will change as long as Darnold and the surrounding cast continues to get better.

I also think it is fair to assume that a 240 lb. TE on the move should be able to catch a ball and barrel into the end zone.  I guess the guy made a great tackle, but how often doyou see that?  My first reaction was that Herndon is not that physical. Hope I am wrong.
Rookie doing rookie things or he was overwhelmed out there. I don't believe he had a catch last week. Almost a little shell shocked. But you know what they say about reading "body language"....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Archived