Game Observations (MIA)

KRL

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Also has a DWI under his belt already. Yesterday was flat out bizarre. I dont think you can play him. The out of bounds, the GL, the brutal drop, not going after a fumble....I mean thats a seasons worth of eff ups.

Wasn't he filling in for Sterling?  When guys suddenly get their workload increased or role changed (even slightly) they tend to make those types of mistakes.  

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

He probably would have been better off letting it bounce. Seriously, this is same old Jets. He took off once and got a handful of yards. That matters deep in your own territory. It's his job.

dear gawd..smh. I just can't

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Also has a DWI under his belt already. Yesterday was flat out bizarre. I dont think you can play him. The out of bounds, the GL, the brutal drop, not going after a fumble....I mean thats a seasons worth of eff ups.

It's his 2nd NFL game!!! smh

Just now, talisaynon said:

We need to cut either Herndon or Pryor. Should be no reason for that kind of laziness on the team. Kearse and Enumwa are going to give 100% out there. No use for having 2 ******* slugs like them. Next men up.

WTF?!?!?

This place is freakin crazy..

Manish Mehta‏ @MMehtaNYDN 

Terrelle Pryor ran a poor route on Sam Darnold’s second INT... but Crowell was open on the wheel route on this play. Looks like Robby Anderson (slot right) was running free into end zone as well. It’s all a part of Darnold’s learning. He’ll see these things with more experience

2 minutes ago, talisaynon said:

We need to cut either Herndon or Pryor. Should be no reason for that kind of laziness on the team. Kearse and Enumwa are going to give 100% out there. No use for having 2 ******* slugs like them. Next men up.

Pryor is a vet and should know better; maybe it is a jinx and we should never sign a player with that last name again.

As for Herndon, this was his second game. Second. All this site bitched about all summer long was that Bowles won't play rookies and then when a rookie has a rookie game - they are crap. Yes, he may turn out to be a bust, but can we at least wait a few weeks before we eject him? Also, it is not like we have a ton of vet options in his place either.

It sucked to watch the game and it sucks even more to watch some stupid mistakes and self inflicted wounds kill momentum, but the only way this team will grow is via the draft; and since this team has major holes, rookies are going to play a big part and they are going to make rookie mistakes. Many thought we would not be a very good team this year and we were fooled by the great showing we had last week, but let's try to remain a little level headed.

Of course, I totally understand the need to rant. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think people are being a bit hard on Herndon for the play before the half.  It was a bad play and all, but I don't see it as boneheaded.  He put the ball on the floor.  He had to gather it back up before he could do any diving for the end zone.  Again, not a good play, but I don't see it as necessary indicating systemic stupidity.

Weren't we out of timeouts anyway? If my memory is correct I blame Darnold for that, Miami wanted him to throw a short pass in the middle of the field and he obliged. Once that ball was caught in that spot it was either get the TD of end of half.

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Herndon sucking made all the worse by how good Sefarian-Jenkins has looked in Jax

Not surprising that a 4th year player playing on a very good team looks pretty good compared to a rookie player playing on a rebuilding team with a rookie QB. I seemed to remember him costing the Jets some points last year as well.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I agree, but do we play Jordan Leggett?

Most important play nobody’s talking about: 3rd QTR. 2nd & 8 on #Jets 9. Great design. Anderson motions to twins right. Great job by Enunwa to pick Jones, freeing up Robby on wheel route. Had safety beat clean. Would have been 91-yd TD. Darnold went to Q. Drive result: Punt

MM isn't ripping Sam. This is normal for a young QB.

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I was there with my son and the stadium was electric, but there were still plenty of Dolphins fans in the building.  Hopefully that will change as the team starts to have more success and the hometown fans actually start going to the games.  As far as the game goes, the O line was not good but despite that, the Jets could have won the game if Darnold hit a wide open Enumwa in the end zone and converted that turnover instead of giving the ball right back with an end zone INT.  A few rookie mistakes but still lots to be encouraged about.  Darnold is the real deal.  

Those days are over. The casual fan is much more concerned with the almighty benjamins.  They dump their tickets at face or below value to opposing fans now. Just wait until they can get premium $$ for those tickets. Stubhub and the secondary ticket market has changed the home field fan experience for ever. 

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think people are being a bit hard on Herndon for the play before the half.  It was a bad play and all, but I don't see it as boneheaded.  He put the ball on the floor.  He had to gather it back up before he could do any diving for the end zone.  Again, not a good play, but I don't see it as necessary indicating systemic stupidity.

The worse play happened before that , when he didn't get out of bounds. 

15 hours ago, dbatesman said:

You hate to put a game on one guy, but there’s a solid mathematical argument that he single-handedly cost us the game.

Bill Parcells always said that for every rookie you start, you can count on one extra loss.  Today that loss came from Herndon.  

16 hours ago, KRL said:

A frustrating home opener as the Jets lose to MIA 20-12, basically the whole
game can be wrapped up in one phrase, "missed opportunities".  Let's take a
look:

Special Teams

- A total turnaround from the DET game as the special teams couldn't flip field
position and left the offense in negative territory all day

- Lachlan Edwards had decent distance and hang time on his punts.  Jason Myers
scored half our points and had an impressive 55 yard FG.  But missed PAT's will
get you cut (missed opportunity)

- Andre Roberts was taken out of the game as MIA punter & kicker had him fair
catching all day

- Caught an awful break on MIA second punt as they bounced the snap and got a
30 yard roll to pin the team at the 10 yard line (missed opportunity)

Defense

- Awful day for the rush defense as MIA was able to move the ball at key times and
eat clock.  Also they never had an answer for Tannehill's designed runs which
killed them on multiple occasions.  The pass defense was solid holding MIA under
170 yards but the 3rd & 19 screen to Gore was a back breaker (missed opportunity).
It brought back memories of other Jet defenses not getting key stops when it counted

- A new DLine scheme which had 2 DL and 2 OLB rushing the passer brought more
pressure but I wonder if that left them vulnerable to the run    

- Good games by Brandon Copeland (2 sacks), Henry Anderson (sack), Jordan Jenkins
(strip sack & fumble recovery) and Leonard Williams (multiple TFL's)

- Avery Williamson got burned in coverage a couple of times and wasn't impactful
in the run game.  And Darron Lee had nowhere near the game he had in DET

- Jamal Adams would've had an A+ game as he was all over the field with a sack, forced
fumble and good coverage.  But on the 3rd & 19 to Gore it seemed like Adams was responsible
for covering him and he got caught up in the line

Offense

- The OLine got pushed around all day in both phases.  Spencer Long struggled getting
movement in the run game, James Carpenter and Kelvin Beachum picked up killer penalties

- Chris Herndon got his first catches as a pro but he had an awful game.  Not diving for
the end zone at the end of the first half (missed opportunity).  And dropping a 35+ yard
completion down the sideline as the team was trying to come back (missed opportunity)

- Poor ball security by Robby Anderson and Terrelle Pryor killed the team.  Anderson fumbled
when the team would've had a first down at midfield trailing only 7-0 (missed opportunity).
And Pryor did an awful job finding the ball on the INT in the end zone which would've made
the score 20-13 (missed opportunity).  Which is too bad because other than that Pryor was
very impactful (4 rec / 84 yards)

- Quincy Enunwa was a beast making tough catches (7 rec / 92 yards) and running over people
all day.  And he almost made an incredible TD catch at the end of the first half as Sam Darnold
was throwing the ball away

- Bilal Powell struggled running the ball but was a terrific outlet for Sam Darnold in the
passing game (5 rec / 74 yards)

- Sam Darnold will get "credited" with his first loss and two INT's but there was a lot of
encouraging things to take from his performance.  In only his second game where his OLine
struggled, had no running game and his receivers had awful ball security he was able to
keep the team in the game.  Darnold got banged around and was still able to be productive
(25/41 334 yards) and maintain his accuracy

Darnold is making this OLine look much better than it is.   Any of our previous QBs from the past few years would have easily been sacked 2 or 3 more times than Sam was.  His pocket awareness, mobility (both in and out of the pocket) and poise are WAY beyond the years of a rookie QB.  My one fear is that Sam's going to mask our offensive line deficiencies to the point Macc continues to believe he doesn't have problems upfront.

44 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Herndon sucking made all the worse by how good Sefarian-Jenkins has looked in Jax

Still blows my mind that we didn't bring him back with all the Cap space we have.  I get that Macc didn't want to overpay but this wasn't a situation of paying an $8M guy something like $12M.  My understanding is that the Jets and ASJ were like $1M apart(?).  Absolutely should have brought him back.

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Most important play nobody’s talking about: 3rd QTR. 2nd & 8 on #Jets 9. Great design. Anderson motions to twins right. Great job by Enunwa to pick Jones, freeing up Robby on wheel route. Had safety beat clean. Would have been 91-yd TD. Darnold went to Q. Drive result: Punt

Bingo.  I'm fine with this "criticism."  Darnold made a decent decision (safe pass play) instead of a great decision.  He'll learn.

16 hours ago, KRL said:

- Sam Darnold will get "credited" with his first loss and two INT's but there was a lot of
encouraging things to take from his performance.  In only his second game where his OLine
struggled, had no running game and his receivers had awful ball security he was able to
keep the team in the game.  Darnold got banged around and was still able to be productive
(25/41 334 yards) and maintain his accuracy

I like how the first 10 points KRL Makes are brutally accurate but this one is pure green colored glasses 

Sam Darnold's first interception to McDonald was awful, put the Fins on a short field, and they never looked back.

the stats he had were if not garbage time stats, at least prevent zone stats. the team was down 20-0 at halftime and the dolphins gave the Jets the middle of the field. 

Darnold himself had the ball security issues, besides the 2 int he had a fumble on the first drive the team recovered and he didn't take care of the football this week, just like he didn't take care of it last week, and also at USC. Turnovers were his "weakness" on the scouting reports and we are 2 games in and these turnovers have not been eliminated. 

Don't believe me? Look at this play again and tell me how it's the OL or the RBs or the WR's fault. 

https://www.miamidolphins.com/video/t-j-mcdonald-picks-off-sam-darnold-returns-it-31-yards

15 hours ago, Lego My Lageman said:

How did Dolphins fans buy out and entire section? They were near me and it was maddening.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The upper corner of the endzone (345/346) is always used for for opposing team family, friends and guests.  I have no doubt that the Jets sold the vast majority of those 2 sections to the Dolphins themselves who then re-sold (or gave away)  to their fans.  THose 2 sectrions were almost all teal and orange.

There were bus loads of Dolphin fans in the bus section of the parking lot.  We walked right through that patch and it was like entering the gates of Hell.  It was like the Internment camps the US set up during World War II:

41869165_924395904413233_533141149515251

15 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Isn't Herndon a rookie?  Have to be as patient with him, as you guys are with Sam.

Yes he is.  And he's a very good total package TE.  Horrible game

IMO by the end of the year Herndon and Darnold will be the combo DC's will have to game plan for.  

39 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Team came out flat and remained that way all game along with playing catch up football down 3 scores never ends well for the NY Jets. 

biggest problem yesterday with the offense was that they started deep in their own end all half and the play calling was too conservative b/c of the fear of the miami pass rush and the memory of the pick 6 from the risky call on the first play vs. the lions.  also don't underestimate the impact that kearse can have on a rookie qb, he is a first down guy.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

biggest problem yesterday with the offense was that they started deep in their own end all half and the play calling was too conservative b/c of the fear of the miami pass rush and the memory of the pick 6 from the risky call on the first play vs. the lions.  also don't underestimate the impact that kearse can have on a rookie qb, he is a first down guy.

it was?  they ran the ball 7 times in the first half 

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I dont know. ASJ had a pass hit him in the hands in the 3Q right after Brady cut it to an 11 point lead. He hit it up in the air and it was intercepted. That pick resulted in Pats ball around the Jax 30 and would probably have made it a 4 point game with the whole 4th Q left if not for Fowler's strip sack of Brady on the next play. ASJ looks like more of the same over there. Can make flash plays because he's so insanely athletic, but can't catch or hold on to the ball with any type of consistency.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

I think I mentioned it in the game thread, but this was brutal. I remember thinking that I'd love to see more camera angles on this because it looks like Sam took the safe throw to Q instead of trying for a bomb....but I couldn't see the safety in the frame so I wasn't sure if I was making something out of nothing.

Also, I know everyone's blaming Pryor for that pick, but Sam could have had better ball placement.

Regardless, I'm still in love with Sam.

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Yes, I gathered that from some of the responses.  OTOH, plenty of people were complaining that he didn't dive for the endzone.  Would not have helped if he dove without the ball. 

I agree with that. Maybe the pass routes should have all been in the EZ . 

Archived