Browns game must win?

kevinc855

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Well, it's kind of a must win for bowles.  his teams do seem to come out flat although i think they came out pretty good on sunday.

Merged twice now. One "must win" thread this week feels like enough. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Stark said:

Must win? its the Browns any time you play the worst franchise in the NFL its a must win. ... if the Browns get their first win in forever against us, its going to be the butt fumble all over again. years of the JETS broke the browns losing streak. 

if we lose .... FIRE BOWLES immediately

I think we already beat the worst team in the league last Monday. So relax, eat something and enjoy the game Thursday. 

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I think the Browns are saying the same thing about the Jets.  I personally don't think the Browns are inferior to the Jets.  If not for a Kicker they are 2-0 with wins over Pittsburgh and New Orleans.

Quite honestly, the NFL is being turned on its head right now.  There isn't much certainty around who the best teams are (the undefeated Tampa Bay Bucs?) and who the horrible teams are (the winless Seahawks, Texans, Steelers?).

I do agree that we should be seeing the Jets beat teams they are better than....I'm just not sure I know who those teams are yet.  Is Miami good?  They beat Tennessee and Tennessee beat Houston.

Agreed.. no team in the league is concerned about the JETS.  From our coach down we have nothing to fear...  with the exception that we appear to have a good QB.

37 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

There are no “must wins” this season IMO.   The only musts are keeping Darnold upright and continuing his development and that they find out if the Nickersons, Luvus, Robinsons, Burnetts, etc, can play and be legit contributors next season.  

Maybe not... but do you think Parcells had that attitude when he took over in 97? 

17 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I guess you know how football works when you equate a kicker to an entire offensive line and receiving corps. As if we didn't just find our kicker five ******* minutes ago, smart guy.

Now, what is your point besides trying to make yourself feel smart by taking apart one part of a post and playing wiseass?

So youre saying that kickers arent part of a team?  That really there was no reason to change kickers five ******* minutes ago?  And bring in others right after that?  

The year that Minny missed that chip shot FG in Atlanta did they win the SB two weeks later? 

18 hours ago, prime21 said:

For me, every game is a must win.  Winning breeds confidence.   

At the end of the day I do want to see progress and build upon mistakes form previous games.

So, if every game is a 'must win' and last week we lost, what now?

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So youre saying that kickers arent part of a team?  That really there was no reason to change kickers five ******* minutes ago?  And bring in others right after that?  

The year that Minny missed that chip shot FG in Atlanta did they win the SB two weeks later? 

I'm saying that the team should have won those games and yes, kickers are part of the team but there is a HUGE difference between being 0-2 because your kicker missed one last second field goal in one game and left 8 ******* points on the board in another on the road in New Orleans and being an ACTUAL 0-2 team.

Here, let me help:

Your team finishes in the top five in the NFL in defense, scores just enough points to win ALL 16 games but your kicker misses field goal after field goal and the occasional extra point. You finish the season 0-16. Are you an 0-16 team? Do you have an 0-16 roster?

Oh, but you say, of course you are, you are AN 0-16 team because the kicker wears your jersey and cashes checks signed by your owner. He even has his own locker with his name on it and everything.

YOU HAVE AN 0-16 KICKER. The Browns have, excuse me, HAD an 0-2 kicker. Play in and play out, offense, defense, special teams coverage, punter did EVERYTHING to win those games. The players on the Browns beat the players on the Steelers AND the players on the Saints at doing their jobs. Little guy with his little shoes with one job he does a handful of times a game comes on and erases everything. And now he is gone.

If Jason Meyers went out and left eight points on the board and we lost to the Dolphins by three points you' be singing the same tune? Go ahead imagine it, I'll wait.

Like Buddy Ryan said, kickers are like taxi cabs. You can always go out and hire another one.

Remember when Peyton Manning called Vanderjagt "out idiot kicker"? Do you think he would have said that about ANY other player on his team during an interview? And very soon after, Vanderjagt was no more.

Btw, if you look at my original post, not that it serves you, I said that with a normal kicker the Browns are a 2-0 team. I phrased it awkwardly and that is the favored prey of the truly clueless , I understand. So go to ******* town, deep thinker.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

must win for bowles? maybe.  it's not going to look good for this team to lose to the browns.

This week is the test Todd Bowles needs to pass

September 17, 2018 | 11:29pm

The usually stoic Jets coach, who’ll never be confused as one of the SNL comedic cast members, broke into a sustained laugh that lasted several uncomfortable moments because it was so out of character.

The message in Bowles’ laughter was quite clear: He perceived the question as a silly one.

The moment felt patronizing, and Bowles, who would soon realize it, apologized, straightened his expression and answered, “He was very composed and he was the same Sam we saw in the spring and summer.’’

The reporter followed up by noting that Darnold, as a 21-year-old rookie quarterback, was going to be experiencing a number of firsts in his career and wondered what struck him as so funny about the question.

“I didn’t expect him to go from Jekyll to Hyde, if that’s what you’re asking,’’ Bowles said. “He’s going to be the same guy everyday, but he’s fine.’’

As it turned out Sunday, Bowles’ assessment of his young quarterback was spot-on. Darnold, even while experiencing his first loss as a pro, was the same composed, mature guy against Miami that he was against the Lions and he was, indeed, fine.

The problem is that too many of the rest of Bowles’ players went from Jekyll to Hyde across the span of the six days from Jets 48, Lions 17 last Monday night to Dolphins 20, Jets 12 on Sunday. The Jets committed seven penalties for 50 yards, including two killer defensive holding infractions (on cornerbacks Mo Claiborne and Buster Skrine) that negated sacks of Ryan Tannehill on third downs, extending Dolphins’ drives, one of which ended in a TD and a 20-0 lead.

Later, with the Jets trailing 20-6 in the fourth quarter, consecutive false starts on guards Brian Winters and James Carpenter put the offense in a first-and-20 hole and led to it settling for a long field goal to cut the lead to 20-9 instead of a TD that would have cut it to 20-13.

“Lack of execution, penalties and then turnovers,’’ is how Jets receiver Quincy Enunwa described the day. “Honestly, we beat ourselves. We just kind of gave the game away.’’

And then this from Enunwa: “We just came out flat.’’

Few phrases are more damning of a head coach than that one.

To be clear: Enunwa was not indicting Bowles. He was merely stating what he felt and saw out there.

But one of the most critical traits of a good NFL head coach are his motivational skills and fielding a disciplined team, and sometimes Bowles leaves you wondering how good he is at those things.

On a Sunday when Giants coach Pat Shurmur was being excoriated for the way his team was outclassed by the Cowboys on the road, Bowles got a bit of a free pass. The truth is Bowles was hardly at his best against Miami based on his team’s lack of discipline and failure to jump on the Dolphins early with the home crowd poised to explode and become a true 12th-man advantage.

There are too many times when Bowles’ teams don’t look ready. He leaves you to wonder if his low-key demeanor leads to players becoming lackadaisical because there isn’t enough fear of repercussion.

The Jets inability to handle prosperity under the watch of Bowles has been alarming. Were his players seduced by their blowout of the Lions when they took the field against the Dolphins on Sunday? It’s a fair question that has no definitive answer. But it sure looked that way as they fell behind 20-0 in the first half.

This is not to suggest Bowles’ job should be in jeopardy after two games, but it does raise this question: What are his best attributes as a head coach?

Bowles’ contract runs through 2020, and there’s been an assumption that the 2018 record doesn’t matter after two consecutive 5-11 finishes because he’s grooming a rookie quarterback.

But you have to wonder if, because Darnold already has proven himself to be perhaps more mature and NFL-ready than many thought he might be, that’s raised the bar a little higher for Bowles. It seems likely another 5-11 finish won’t be good enough to warrant a fifth year for him.

A good barometer of how well Bowles is able to get his team ready to play stands right in front of the Jets with their Thursday night game against a Browns team that is 1-32-1 dating back to the start of the 2016 season.

Meh. I'm not diggin this article. The team was ready, it just didn't bounce their way. We don't have to dig so deep with every single loss. Sometimes you just don't have a good game. 

with all the good vibes with darnold it's sometimes hard to remember how little there has been in draft picks and $$ in the offense.  the jets starting OL has only 2 jet draft picks starting, and carpenter is the only other former 1st round pick (seahawks) in the entire offensive roster.  the starting wrs:  anderson, who wasn't drafted; enunwa, who didn't play in 2017, and pryor, who played qb in college.  kearse hasn't played yet.  the TEs are all young and herndon dropped the best pass darnold has thrown in a jet uniform.  i like the rb tandem, nothing special but efficient.  and throw in a new OC and blocking scheme as well.  so yeah, i expect a lot of growing pains for the entire offense, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they start losing games, to cleveland/jax, and gradually look better as the season goes on.  i think the 2nd half of the season will be more fun than the next 5 weeks.

Underdogs in Dawg Pound: Jets insist they're not offended

• Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer
  •  
  •  
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Talk about no respect.

The New York Jets, portrayed as a potential sleeper after their season-opening win in Detroit, are listed as a three-point underdog to the Cleveland Browns.

The Browns.

A team that has won only one of its past 37 games. A team that has gone 633 days without a victory.

"Really?" Jets linebacker Brandon Copeland said Monday, when apprised of his team's underdog status. He sounded surprised, but he insisted he wasn't.

"It doesn't bother us," he continued. "It's something that won't keep me up at night."

Todd Bowles and the Jets have beaten Hue Jackson's Browns in Cleveland in each of the past two seasons, winning both games by three points. They'll go for No. 3 on Thursday night. Jason Miller/Getty Images

If the Jets are deriving motivation from the perceived slight, they're doing a great job of keeping it in-house. Chances are it hasn't come up in meetings. Todd Bowles isn't a bulletin-board kind of coach, meaning he doesn't use the no-respect thing as a rallying cry. In his world, the Browns (0-1-1) are a quality opponent, just like every other opponent.

"They're definitely not an easy out," he said. "The two last games they lost went down to a nail-biter at the end."

Bowles insisted he doesn't have to oversell the Browns to his players to keep the Jets from taking their opponents lightly.

"Not at all," he said.

Bowles has contributed to Cleveland's extended period of misery. He's 3-0 against the Browns, 18-29 against the rest of the NFL. Still, the Jets will be the 'dog in the Dawg Pound.

"It means nothing to me," former Browns wide receiver Terrelle Pryor said. "It means nothing to Cleveland; it means nothing to the Jets. Paper is paper. There are so many teams that are underdogs and they're coming out and beating guys. It really doesn't matter."

The optimists in Cleveland (are there any left?) might say the Browns should be 2-0. They tied the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 1, then missed the chance to upset the New Orleans Saints, falling 21-18 because of a field goal fiasco that cost kicker Zane Gonzalez his job.

They're going to win a game one of these days. Surely, the Jets don't want to be That Team. For that reason, and because they have plenty of their own issues to sort out, the Jets insist they won't underestimate the team that plays in the factory of sadness.

"I don't think we have the right," Copeland said, "to take anybody lightly."

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

I think we already beat the worst team in the league last Monday. So relax, eat something and enjoy the game Thursday. 

I prefer to drink something and enjoy the game. However, now I am thinking I may leave the office early, go start the grill and ...... thanks for the idea crush

24 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

I'm saying that the team should have won those games and yes, kickers are part of the team but there is a HUGE difference between being 0-2 because your kicker missed one last second field goal in one game and left 8 ******* points on the board in another on the road in New Orleans and being an ACTUAL 0-2 team.

Here, let me help:

Your team finishes in the top five in the NFL in defense, scores just enough points to win ALL 16 games but your kicker misses field goal after field goal and the occasional extra point. You finish the season 0-16. Are you an 0-16 team? Do you have an 0-16 roster?

Oh, but you say, of course you are, you are AN 0-16 team because the kicker wears your jersey and cashes checks signed by your owner. He even has his own locker with his name on it and everything.

YOU HAVE AN 0-16 KICKER. The Browns have, excuse me, HAD an 0-2 kicker. Play in and play out, offense, defense, special teams coverage, punter did EVERYTHING to win those games. The players on the Browns beat the players on the Steelers AND the players on the Saints at doing their jobs. Little guy with his little shoes with one job he does a handful of times a game comes on and erases everything. And now he is gone.

If Jason Meyers went out and left eight points on the board and we lost to the Dolphins by three points you' be singing the same tune? Go ahead imagine it, I'll wait.

Like Buddy Ryan said, kickers are like taxi cabs. You can always go out and hire another one.

Remember when Peyton Manning called Vanderjagt "out idiot kicker"? Do you think he would have said that about ANY other player on his team during an interview? And very soon after, Vanderjagt was no more.

Btw, if you look at my original post, not that it serves you, I said that with a normal kicker the Browns are a 2-0 team. I phrased it awkwardly and that is the favored prey of the truly clueless , I understand. So go to ******* town, deep thinker.

But there isnt a difference in fumbling just outside of FG range, not reaching across the GL to score before the half or a WR allowing a pass right to him to go through to a CB tha wats beaten costing us a TD? 

Its a team game, you cant say that they are a 2-0 team but are 0-1-1 because someone on the team didnt play well.  You can say that about any loss.  Thats all.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

But there isnt a difference in fumbling just outside of FG range, not reaching across the GL to score before the half or a WR allowing a pass right to him to go through to a CB tha wats beaten costing us a TD? 

Its a team game, you cant say that they are a 2-0 team but are 0-1-1 because someone on the team didnt play well.  You can say that about any loss.  Thats all.

He's not part of the team anymore. Was Herndon cut on Monday morning? Pryor? That's all I'm saying.

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Different situations.  O’Donnell wasn’t a rookie.   To say a week 3 game against the Browns is a must win is a bit much.  So if they lose then what?  

I don't care about Thursday... im simply stating games like Miami should be wins and while I agree that this year is sort of a "mail in", we should try to win.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get it, just saying you are what your record says your team is.  

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

That's too simple an equation for me. We'll have to agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No problem.  I hear what youre saying though

HOLY COW!

Online CIVILITY and Respectful Discourse on Jets Nation Forum!?!?!?!?!? ?

20 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Vegas disagrees.

Several points here. The initial line that I have seen is Browns -3. After considering a 3 point advantage for the home team, we can conclude that Vegas perceives the public view that these teams are equal.

And to that point, lines are not a prediction of team strength, but the betting public.s perception of the strength of the teams at that time. 

27 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Browns have won 1 game over the last two years, so until proven otherwise, yes, the Jets are a better team.

Said this many times, but the meaningful difference between last years Browns and last years Jets is that the Browns played their Christian Hackenberg and the Jets kept their's on the bench.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

Well, it's kind of a must win for bowles.  his teams do seem to come out flat although i think they came out pretty good on sunday.

This week is the test Todd Bowles needs to pass

September 17, 2018 | 11:29pm

There was a moment Friday, two days before the Jets would produce that underachieving effort in the 20-12 home-opening loss to the Dolphins, when a television reporter asked Todd Bowles what he saw from Sam Darnold in the week following the season-opening win in Detroit.

The usually stoic Jets coach, who’ll never be confused as one of the SNL comedic cast members, broke into a sustained laugh that lasted several uncomfortable moments because it was so out of character.

The message in Bowles’ laughter was quite clear: He perceived the question as a silly one.

The moment felt patronizing, and Bowles, who would soon realize it, apologized, straightened his expression and answered, “He was very composed and he was the same Sam we saw in the spring and summer.’’

The reporter followed up by noting that Darnold, as a 21-year-old rookie quarterback, was going to be experiencing a number of firsts in his career and wondered what struck him as so funny about the question.

“I didn’t expect him to go from Jekyll to Hyde, if that’s what you’re asking,’’ Bowles said. “He’s going to be the same guy everyday, but he’s fine.’’

As it turned out Sunday, Bowles’ assessment of his young quarterback was spot-on. Darnold, even while experiencing his first loss as a pro, was the same composed, mature guy against Miami that he was against the Lions and he was, indeed, fine.image.gif

The problem is that too many of the rest of Bowles’ players went from Jekyll to Hyde across the span of the six days from Jets 48, Lions 17 last Monday night to Dolphins 20, Jets 12 on Sunday. The Jets committed seven penalties for 50 yards, including two killer defensive holding infractions (on cornerbacks Mo Claiborne and Buster Skrine) that negated sacks of Ryan Tannehill on third downs, extending Dolphins’ drives, one of which ended in a TD and a 20-0 lead.

Later, with the Jets trailing 20-6 in the fourth quarter, consecutive false starts on guards Brian Winters and James Carpenter put the offense in a first-and-20 hole and led to it settling for a long field goal to cut the lead to 20-9 instead of a TD that would have cut it to 20-13.

“Lack of execution, penalties and then turnovers,’’ is how Jets receiver Quincy Enunwa described the day. “Honestly, we beat ourselves. We just kind of gave the game away.’’

And then this from Enunwa: “We just came out flat.’’

Few phrases are more damning of a head coach than that one.

To be clear: Enunwa was not indicting Bowles. He was merely stating what he felt and saw out there.

But one of the most critical traits of a good NFL head coach are his motivational skills and fielding a disciplined team, and sometimes Bowles leaves you wondering how good he is at those things.

On a Sunday when Giants coach Pat Shurmur was being excoriated for the way his team was outclassed by the Cowboys on the road, Bowles got a bit of a free pass. The truth is Bowles was hardly at his best against Miami based on his team’s lack of discipline and failure to jump on the Dolphins early with the home crowd poised to explode and become a true 12th-man advantage.

There are too many times when Bowles’ teams don’t look ready. He leaves you to wonder if his low-key demeanor leads to players becoming lackadaisical because there isn’t enough fear of repercussion.

The Jets inability to handle prosperity under the watch of Bowles has been alarming. Were his players seduced by their blowout of the Lions when they took the field against the Dolphins on Sunday? It’s a fair question that has no definitive answer. But it sure looked that way as they fell behind 20-0 in the first half.

This is not to suggest Bowles’ job should be in jeopardy after two games, but it does raise this question: What are his best attributes as a head coach?

Bowles’ contract runs through 2020, and there’s been an assumption that the 2018 record doesn’t matter after two consecutive 5-11 finishes because he’s grooming a rookie quarterback.

But you have to wonder if, because Darnold already has proven himself to be perhaps more mature and NFL-ready than many thought he might be, that’s raised the bar a little higher for Bowles. It seems likely another 5-11 finish won’t be good enough to warrant a fifth year for him.

A good barometer of how well Bowles is able to get his team ready to play stands right in front of the Jets with their Thursday night game against a Browns team that is 1-32-1 dating back to the start of the 2016 season.

image.gif

The vultures are starting to gather....

Archived