OL

C Mart

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Yes, but if you look at the last 10 LT taken early in the draft... I dunno if i'm comfortable relying on whom we draft to be the auto-LT... I don't think we can be that 1-dimension going into the draft.

We are not going to be that one dimensional.  I am just talking about what I want to see out of the draft.  There are no guarantees regarding either OT or edge to be the plug and play impact player that we want.  At this stage, I would be much happier if we come out of the draft with a Jonah Williams / Greg Little than a Nick Bosa / Rashan Gary (plelase note that I reserve the right to change these names at least a dozen times between now and April).  Not that I would be disappointed with the edge rusher, but I think the FA class will be better for edge rushers, and I really want to see a lot of resource (both draft and FA) sunk into the OL and the rest of the offense this offseason.  It would be a refreshing change.

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

Yes, but if you look at the last 10 LT taken early in the draft... I dunno if i'm comfortable relying on whom we draft to be the auto-LT... I don't think we can be that 1-dimension going into the draft.

I feel the opposite of Rob, bingo? Couldn't be further from the truth. I actually agree with more than a couple things you said, but "easier to address PR then it is the Oline?? Is that a joke. We've seen LTs like Whitworth (just try and poke a whole in that one), guards like Norwell, and centers like Richburg, and recently A. Mack... all top players at their positions... but it's easier to land a pass rusher? Mack took a kings ransom to get out of OAK... 

Don't agree at all. 

That said, I'll admit that at first blush, this upcoming FA doesn't have any OL heavy hitters and some unique opportunities at OLB/PR... won't deny it. If we can land Barr and Fowler/Ray - i'm with you. 

I think me and you agree on a lot of things. My god, do we need to start investing on offense... but this is just not true IMO. You look at FA over the las 10 years, and there far, far more instances of quality lineman hitting FA compared to quality pass rushers. 

I specifically said LT and Whitworth is a complete outlier because of his age. Think more Cladys and Beachums.

@Paradis I thought it was pretty clear that I was talking specifically about next years FA period.

The 2019 OL free agent crop is terrible. Ali Marpet is literally the only guy who I think would make much of a difference.

Who else would we bring in? Older, now marginal players like Mike Iupati, Jared Veldheer, Andy Levitre, etc who are on the downslopes of their careers? None of those guys are making a difference.

Generally, yes, OL is easier to fortify through FA than finding legit edgerusher help. But that sure as hell isn't the case next offseason.

And I’d much rather be sitting here in May with Barr and Fowler at OLB and Jonah Williams/Greg Little at LT over rolling with Beachum for yet another year and having someone like Clelin Ferrell or Josh Allen come off the edge.

Alright, alright....

As an umbrella statement to y'all - yea you're right about the franchise LT thing. (Good) ones don't generally hit FA. I guess the point I was trying to make was more or less that you can generally address Oline through FA in a decent manner -- If you have to -- the last part being key. 

And I'm thinking; we might have to... Start by addressing the Oline as best we can through FA, and then if we take a Little for example in the draft... then (omg) we might actually have some depth.

I'm really concerned about Sam having another year like this, Oline wise. Expecting/depending on a rookie LT in the draft is risky IMO. We've all seen the Robinsons, and Flowers of the world lately. 

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Alright, alright....

As an umbrella statement to y'all - yea you're right about the franchise LT thing. (Good) ones don't generally hit FA. I guess the point I was trying to make was more or less that you can generally address Oline through FA in a decent manner -- If you have to -- the last part being key. 

And I'm thinking; we might have to... Start by addressing the Oline as best we can through FA, and then if we take a Little for example in the draft... then (omg) we might actually have some depth.

I'm really concerned about Sam having another year like this, Oline wise. Expecting/depending on a rookie LT in the draft is risky IMO. We've all seen the Robinsons, and Flowers of the world lately. 

Absolutely, I agree.  We need to address OL in free agency to the extent that we can. 

We need to go into the draft with the best starting unit that we can put together -- which means upgrades in FA, even if we have to look to sign a vet approaching the end that might have a good season or two left.  We need to enter the draft with a better OL situation than we have now.  And then if we can add to it in the draft, like you said, we could actually have depth.  But we need to make sure we are not totally screwed if Little/Williams of whomever is gone before we get the chance to pick -- dont want to be forced to reach for a 2nd tier prospect just because he is an OT.

Absolutely, I agree.  We need to address OL in free agency to the extent that we can. 
We need to go into the draft with the best starting unit that we can put together -- which means upgrades in FA, even if we have to look to sign a vet approaching the end that might have a good season or two left.  We need to enter the draft with a better OL situation than we have now.  And then if we can add to it in the draft, like you said, we could actually have depth.  But we need to make sure we are not totally screwed if Little/Williams of whomever is gone before we get the chance to pick -- dont want to be forced to reach for a 2nd tier prospect just because he is an OT.

100%.

Look what over exposing Luck has done to his career. He’s almost been Pennington’d.

Can’t have another year like this. Can’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/22/2018 at 9:31 PM, RobR said:

The problem with Oline prospects recently is because of the invent, or should I say merge with these read option offenses in college. Most of the lineman are in a two point stance the majority of the time, couple that with the new CBA agreement that strictly controls full contact practices and it's no wonder why it's harder too find them and develop them. Our biggest problem is we don't even try to draft them.

Yup. Look at Wonters, came from Kent State and a spread Offense. Took him 3 years just to learn to be an average Guard. 

Go to the places that know how to coach O Lines. Iowa, Wisconsin, ND, Michigan, OSU, MSU, etc. Where guys actually play from a 3 point stance and are taught pro style oline and technique.  Look for guys that can physically dominate the point, not rely on finesse and angle blocks (Oklahoma and every other spread/RPO system out there). 

12 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Fortunately for us, this draft is loaded at offensive tackle and edge rusher (Jets 2 biggest needs). I'd really love to trade back and recoup the second round pick we lost in the Darnold trade. 

11 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Fortunately for us, this draft is loaded at offensive tackle and edge rusher (Jets 2 biggest needs). I'd really love to trade back and recoup the second round pick we lost in the Darnold trade. 

I tend to agree, especially if you want to target an OT.  If edge can be addressed in FA then depending on where the Jets land in the first round they could potentially move back and still get a nice OT.  

On 10/10/2018 at 9:16 AM, Philc1 said:

Isn’t Tony Paulina the guy who used to scream in ALL CAPS at JI at anyone who didn’t think Kyle Wilson was the next Deion Sanders?

He also had Josh Allen as John Elway + Joe Montana symbiote-Venom-Edie Brock-like-monster-killer-quarterback from Mars.

Archived