OK, want to dump Bowles? Here are some of the top candidates

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

They’ve only played 2 games, so in my opinion, being impressed by such stats is a bit premature. 

That last defensive stand was not only hard to watch but flat out disappointing ... again.

is this defensive coach ever gonna put up a stand when it really counts?

the jury is still out.

Oh, so what you are saying is that 2 games is not enough to make a judgement? 

Interesting and novel.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

September. Seventeenth.

If the coach makes the same mistakes in year 4 as he did in year 1, that’s okay? If a player keeps making the same mistakes and the coach doesn’t take them out, that’s on the player? It’s one thing fo

That’s the problem with pandering to the “fire Bowles” crowd. Most of them are knee jerk reaction types who follow the crowd with “it’s all the coach’s fault” posts. We’re ayear away from this decisio

Posted Images

Let's be fair and honest here. To this point, I do not think there is anything that Bowles does or has done well as a HC. Having said that, I was / am still, although skeptically, hoping that like any other human being, he would be able to learn from his mistakes, stop being so GD stubborn, and become a better HC. Sadly, 4 years in, this apparently still has not happened. The man just refuses to learn from his mistakes, has had 2 straight 5-11 subpar seasons yet still thinks his way is the only way to do things with no adjustment or deviation. Still in all, it is way too early in a season to think about firing a HC. He is here, systems are in place, and we need to give him this season to figure it out, again. What is the most concerning to me is that we now have a potential FQB in place, but have serious worries as to whether or not this HC has the right stuff to coach him up to make him a success. Yes Bates seems to be a good OC and we have shown flashes like last Monday, but Sunday's loss brought us all back to mediocrity where we have been mired seemingly since Bowles got here. What bothered me most about Sunday's loss was the fact that it was the same game we have seen out of this team for 4 years now after a big win. How bad would it be to waste a FQB on a HC that cannot be a HC in this league? I think that is the key issue here, the future, not this season. Can this HC change his ways, learn from mistakes and become a better coach and be able to lead us to contention. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Im not asking for it, but a bunch here are. I challenge them to find who they  want over Bowles. Its a thought experiment.  Nothing more obviously. 

Anyone, literally anyone.  Bowles has been nothing but a disaster, a modern day kotite.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Im not asking for it, but a bunch here are. I challenge them to find who they  want over Bowles. Its a thought experiment.  Nothing more obviously. 

11 hours ago, varjet said:

These are the Johnsons.  Bowles needs 6 wins to keep his job. He may not get them. 

Unfortunately we have an acting owner who doesn't hold anyone accountable on or off the field so Bowles will be back no matter what happens.

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

That’s the problem with pandering to the “fire Bowles” crowd. Most of them are knee jerk reaction types who follow the crowd with “it’s all the coach’s fault” posts. We’re ayear away from this decision, with almost a full season of trying to develop a rookie QB still ahead of us. Let’s see how this year plays out first.

This is year 4, it is not kneejerk. We have seen the same garbage year after year after year.

This is not 1975, rookie QBs can win. We have enough talent to compete for a playoff spot, we had enough to compete for a playoff spot last year especially when you consider a similar bills team made it.

I am always for patience with qbs, HCs, GMs but it's now into year 4 and it couldn't be clearer.  We need a competent HC to guide the Darnold era.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

Let's be fair and honest here.  

Good sign that you're about to NOT be either.

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

To this point, I do not think there is anything that Bowles does or has done well as a HC. Having said that, I was / am still, although skeptically, hoping that like any other human being, he would be able to learn from his mistakes, stop being so GD stubborn, and become a better HC. Sadly, 4 years in, this apparently still has not happened. The man just refuses to learn from his mistakes, has had 2 straight 5-11 subpar seasons yet still thinks his way is the only way to do things with no adjustment or deviation. Still in all, it is way too early in a season to think about firing a HC. He is here, systems are in place, and we need to give him this season to figure it out, again. What is the most concerning to me is that we now have a potential FQB in place, but have serious worries as to whether or not this HC has the right stuff to coach him up to make him a success. Yes Bates seems to be a good OC and we have shown flashes like last Monday, but Sunday's loss brought us all back to mediocrity where we have been mired seemingly since Bowles got here. What bothered me most about Sunday's loss was the fact that it was the same game we have seen out of this team for 4 years now after a big win. How bad would it be to waste a FQB on a HC that cannot be a HC in this league? I think that is the key issue here, the future, not this season. Can this HC change his ways, learn from mistakes and become a better coach and be able to lead us to contention. 

Confirmed.

6 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Were you happy with the coaching Sunday?

How about getting into the red zone at the end of the first half and letting the clock die with us on the one and no points?

How about exploiting the mismatch we had with rb on their LB?  A couple passes to Powell.  No use of speedy Trent Cannon.  Few screens or draw plays to slow the pass rush.

How about field position - our punt returner watched several punts just roll inside our 5 without fielding them.

How about getting his team up and ready to play for the home opener?

Avoiding stupid back breaking penalties?  We had both penalty killing drives for us and penalty sustaining drives for them.

How about clock management?   It’s the 4 th quarter you’re down by two scores and you run and don’t do hurry up offense or show any sense of urgency?

I haven’t been a fan since his first yr but he seems like a decent guy and Iwas hoping he might grow into the job.   I’m not seeing it

How about consistently running on 1st down again and again when the run game obviously wasn’t working. They basically set up the play action for on first down but they never went to it. Just kept running and running for short yardage on 1st down. That put Darnold in a lot of 2nd and long - all game - and he came thru a lot but mix it up AHole! on 1st downs. 

What is Bowles good at? Being drole!  Nothing else. He’s good at nothing!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Nixhead said:

How about consistently running on 1st down again and again when the run game obviously wasn’t working. They basically set up the play action for on first down but they never went to it. Just kept running and running for short yardage on 1st down. That put Darnold in a lot of 2nd and long - all game - and he came thru a lot but mix it up AHole! on 1st downs. 

I would suggest that they pass on every down. The defense will never figure that out, and of course pin their ears back on an offensive line that everyone tells me is porous. 

What can go wrong?

• Thumb Down 1
4 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

You do realize that play action only works if the running game is working, right?

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Unless this year turns into a total disaster I think it's important to bring back the coaching staff in 2019. Firing the coach and likely having Darnold learn a new offense isn't doing anyone any favors.

Meanwhile we have to put up with a sh*tty head coach and an awful cardboard cut out d coordinator just so we don't lose and oc.  I just don't like the logic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Oh, I just looked at the drive chart. The Jets passed on first down on 6 of 12 drives. 

How much more mixing up do you want?

13 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Completely false and untrue. They ran about 50% on first down. This is an example of hate clouding reality.

• Thumb Down 1
4 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is very interesting. We are trying to become a decent destination for players and coaches which is why it would have been a bad idea to fire Bowles after last year. We need to show that we are reasonable, patient and trying to actually build a winning program the right way.

I wanted Rex gone and it was the right move but Bowles is similar in many ways and worse than Rex. I think he will seal his fate this year as a coach unless the Jets are at least 8-8. We don’t have time to waste now that we have a FQB on a cheap rookie deal. It’s difficult to find candidates but who can really be much worse than him? It’s worth the risk. 

ballgame.....

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, slats said:

All of the Jets front office moves last year were designed to attract Kirk Cousins. Mac and Bowles were extended to give the impression of organizational stability. Bates and Dennison were hired in their roles under Mike Shanahan to offer Cousins a system he was already comfortable and successful in. The basis for Darnold's protracted contract negotiations were about making it more difficult to void his guarantees - a move his agent made specifically because he saw thru the Jets illusion of organizational stability. His concern was that a new front office might want to move on from Darnold, and would therefore try to find some easy disciplinary measure to take some money back from him. 

Developing Darnold only became Bates' job once Cousins turned the Jets down. And now developing him could be a double-edged sword for the staff. In a world where Darnold really looks the part, but the team is not -as in, the rest of the season looks a lot like Sunday- the organization could decide that cutting bait with Bowles and Mac while Darnold is still early in his rookie contract might be their best hope to win a championship before Sam becomes the highest paid player in the league. 

Bates could get consideration at that point, I suppose, but keeping Mac and promoting Bates would feel a lot like they were just spinning their wheels. Another first time coach would not be the hire there. You'd want a guy with the experience of running an organization (hopefully with success) so that there's no learning on the job period for the head coach while they're trying to take advantage of Darnold's rookie deal. Shaw or Harbaugh would probably be the only guys on this list that I might be interested in at this point in time. 

Agree.  I said on another post that I did not think Bowles was a suitable head coach for our best player and QB.  You said it much better

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Oh, I just looked at the drive chart. The Jets passed on first down on 6 of 12 drives. 

How much more mixing up do you want?

Alright - I didn’t look up the stats for what they did on every first down play but it seemed to me that they were running an awful lot when they should of been passing in my opinion. I didn’t like the play calling. They weren’t using a lot of misdirection. No trick plays - it wouldn’t kill them to try something different like a flea flicker once in a while. Go ahead and slam me for not knowing the play percentages - and maybe you liked the play calling but I think it kinda bogged them down a bit. The field position didn’t help - that’s for sure. Seems like we are always going against the best punter in the league. 

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Meanwhile we have to put up with a sh*tty head coach and an awful cardboard cut out d coordinator just so we don't lose and oc.  I just don't like the logic. 

Darnold apparently is a quick study.  Change would not hurt him.  Having a turnover obsessed tortoise hurts Sam

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, David Harris said:

Jeremy Bates needs to be the HC or OC - I love what he’s doing with Sam.

I dont think Jeremy did much of a job lat week.  When a team has 8 or 9  in the box on first down you have to challenge them.  The Jets could not run because Bates did not stretch the D early.  He restricted Sam and threw a Bowles at the Miami D.  The Jets will have to pass to set up their run game.  It just is not good enough for ball control

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, jack48 said:

I dnt think Jeremy did much of a job lat week.  When a team has 8 or 9  in the obox on first down you have to challenge them.  The Jets could not run because Bates did not stretch the D early.  He restricted Sam and threw a Bowles at the Miami D.  The Jets will have to pass to set up their run game.  It just is not good enough for ball control

Thank You! You said it better than I could. 

I think Bowles has been hot garbage as a coach and many think that Darnold starting gives him a free pass this year, but if the rest of the team flounders and plays more uninspired and mistake filled games like last week, he will be gone, even if Darnold wins ROY.   

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Fire Bowles? It’s not about this year, it’s about developing Darnold which seems to be going well under Bates. This is a 7 to 8 win team. If we get lucky maybe 9 or if we miss a game winning FG maybe a 7 win team. Every time we lose a game are we going to get one of these stupid threads? 

Darnold will never have a OL he deserves under Bowles/mac. But I guarantee you our defense will be stacked with talent 💁‍♂️

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Bowles has no identity. No direction. What does he stand for. The team will take on his identity and he has none. I think he tries to be like Belichick by saying almost nothing - because he can’t be himself - he doesn’t have confidence to be himself because there is nothing there. He’s overmatched. 

I agree 100 percent.

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Unless this year turns into a total disaster I think it's important to bring back the coaching staff in 2019. Firing the coach and likely having Darnold learn a new offense isn't doing anyone any favors.

So you would rather wait to make the change in 2020 ? That is much worse. 

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So you would rather wait to make the change in 2020 ? That is much worse. 

I mean, if your convictions were such that Bowles was never going to be given a chance after last year you dump him last year and let Darnold and the new coach start fresh.

The hope in keeping him is that he pans out. 

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, if your convictions were such that Bowles was never going to be given a chance after last year you dump him last year and let Darnold and the new coach start fresh.

The hope in keeping him is that he pans out. 

He is being given 1 last chance this yr. He was given the best D player on the market, has all his young prime round picks a yr older. If he doesn’t field a top 10 D with all this talent he was given, there is no need to have him continue to hamper the O as well. We know he brings absolutely nothing to that side of the ball. Darnold is the king now, not Todd Bowles or Mac. Whatever is in the best interest for darnold needs to happen. I can’t see how a D guru HC  is best for a young rising qb

• Upvote 1

I wonder how much influence Bowles has over our drafts?  I think that if you want to build a championship team, you almost have to draft a Left Tackle Round One.  We keep rolling retreads out there.  And drafting D. Fine if you are protecting Bryce Petty or Ryan Fitz.  Not so fine if you are protecting a blue chip QB.  You begin your climb with a QB and a LT.  But really the LT should be there before the QB.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

He is being given 1 last chance this yr. He was given the best D player on the market, has all his young prime round picks a yr older. If he doesn’t field a top 10 D with all this talent he was given, there is no need to have him continue to hamper the O as well. We know he brings absolutely nothing to that side of the ball. Darnold is the king now, not Todd Bowles or Mac. Whatever is in the best interest for darnold needs to happen. I can’t see how a D guru HC  is best for a young rising qb

Well, through two games the D has been top 10 in just about every major category. Like it or not, this is the plan.

5 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is very interesting. We are trying to become a decent destination for players and coaches which is why it would have been a bad idea to fire Bowles after last year. We need to show that we are reasonable, patient and trying to actually build a winning program the right way.

I wanted Rex gone and it was the right move but Bowles is similar in many ways and worse than Rex. I think he will seal his fate this year as a coach unless the Jets are at least 8-8. We don’t have time to waste now that we have a FQB on a cheap rookie deal. It’s difficult to find candidates but who can really be much worse than him? It’s worth the risk. 

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but not the first paragraph. They extended Bowles and Maccagnan and then had an unprecedented number of high-dollar FAs turn us down. It happens now and then, and usually stems from the player simply chasing the money elsewhere or wanting to stay put where he already was, but that wasn't the case with any of these players: Cousins, Norwell, Robinson, Watkins, Suh. 

After back-to-back 5-win seasons I don't think it made the team an attractive location for players who got more money elsewhere (and for the above, even players who got offered the same or less money elsewhere).

There's plenty more to say, but it's September 18th - 3 games into a 2-year extension, so he's not going anywhere anytime soon. That is unless as @slats noted, someone like Jim Harbaugh made it known to the team he'd come here if he was given full control/final say and stuff. Then and only then could I see Chris/Woody eating the Macc+Bowles extensions just 1 year later.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I agree with a lot of what you're saying but not the first paragraph. They extended Bowles and Maccagnan and then had an unprecedented number of high-dollar FAs turn us down. It happens now and then, and usually stems from the player simply chasing the money elsewhere or wanting to stay put where he already was, but that wasn't the case with any of these players: Cousins, Norwell, Robinson, Watkins, Suh. 

After back-to-back 5-win seasons I don't think it made the team an attractive location for players who got more money elsewhere (and for the above, even players who got offered the same or less money elsewhere).

There's plenty more to say, but it's September 18th - 3 games into a 2-year extension, so he's not going anywhere anytime soon. That is unless as @slats noted, someone like Jim Harbaugh made it known to the team he'd come here if he was given full control/final say and stuff. Then and only then could I see Chris/Woody eating the Macc+Bowles extensions just 1 year later.

Not that it would be Harbaugh (screw him, tbh), but do you think having Darnold on board is a true incentive for a blueblood coach to come here?

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well, through two games the D has been top 10 in just about every major category. Like it or not, this is the plan.

Mac’s plan ? Lol The plan is Sam Darnold. The Johnsons will do whatever is in their franchise qb’s interest. They don’t give a dam about Todd Bowles wanting to be a D powerhouse if chasing that dream of his is causing Darnold to continuously eat grass because our line is horrid, because all the goods goes to Bowles’s D.

Bowles is only half the problem. Mac is equally to blame. Is it going to take the  Johnsons demanding  Mac draft OL before the 6th round ? We know what players Todd Bowles is demanding. The OL needs a major overhaul. It takes time to develop a solid OL. not just the draft, a New FA needs time to learn new O, his co-lineman. Nate solder is playing like complete garbage for Giants and he is pretty good OL. I think eventually he will help them. 

My worry is Mac and Bowles will know they will be on thin ice if they make it past this yr, they may not worry about building a OL for the future. We are more then 1 year away from building a solid OL, they may go for the players that help them in the short term, not future for ny jets and Sam Darnold.