OK, want to dump Bowles? Here are some of the top candidates

Jet_Engine1

2 hours ago, BleedGreen92 said:

To add about Shaw stanford plays tough disciplined football. He’s long been deserving of an nfl job 

Problem is he doesn't want a NFL job. I've read a ton of interviews about him over the last five years and he's not coming to the NFL.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, RobR said:

For all of you wanting David Shaw I'm with you and think he would make a great head coach. Problem is he's never leaving the college game and more than likely will be at Stanford forever. So you might as well just cross him off of your list.

Money talks very loudly and everything has a price. Harbaugh would come back to the nfl for the right job despite being mr Michigan 

1 minute ago, BleedGreen92 said:

Money talks very loudly and everything has a price. Harbaugh would come back to the nfl for the right job despite being mr Michigan 

He's not leaving Stanford for any amount of money. I wish he would, but if you've read some articles about him over the years it's painfully obvious he's not going anywhere, regardless of compensation.

any top coach is going to want
1. Tons of money (not my money so I could care less)
2. Total control which means say goodbye to macc. Or if he stays (see the raiders)
3. The only who’s who of coaches that is worth our while is jim harbaugh.
4. Urban Meyer is not coming here, I seriously doubt John harbaugh/ Sean Payton/ mike McCarthy are fired.
5. I may be forgetting a top notch guy.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think that Chris Petersen would be a great second choice if we can't land Shaw.  His offenses AND his defenses are very good.  He produces lots of NFL players.  Also, his teams are usually very well disciplined.  Petersen may also be a little bit more receptive thzn a few years ago.  His teams don't have the talent of Bama, Georgia or Clemson.  So he's had difficulty getting ghe Huskies to the next level.  And he's very familiar with Darnold coming from the Pac-12.  We could do worse.  Just sayin'.

How about Ken Wisehunt?  He has experience.  Took a team to a super bowl.  Is an offensive guy.  Understands you need blue chip skill position players on offense to win games and has San Diegos offense humming every year.

I know everyone wants these young, hotshot coaches but Id stay away from that.  I like Wisenhunt.

38 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

How about Ken Wisehunt?  He has experience.  Took a team to a super bowl.  Is an offensive guy.  Understands you need blue chip skill position players on offense to win games and has San Diegos offense humming every year.

I know everyone wants these young, hotshot coaches but Id stay away from that.  I like Wisenhunt.

I'm generally a fan of the young hotshot guy, but where the Jets are right now -should they decide to dump Bowles- they need to go with an experienced head coach - from either the pro or college level. They have a potential franchise QB on a rookie deal and they need to maximize that asset. They can't afford a year or two of another first-timer learning on the job. They need a coach who's done it before and comes in knowing what he's going to do rather than trying to figure it out. 

I'd prefer a surer thing, but I just don't see those guys coming to the Jets. I wouldn't mind Whisenhunt. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

I'm generally a fan of the young hotshot guy, but where the Jets are right now -should they decide to dump Bowles- they need to go with an experienced head coach - from either the pro or college level. They have a potential franchise QB on a rookie deal and they need to maximize that asset. They can't afford a year or two of another first-timer learning on the job. They need a coach who's done it before and comes in knowing what he's going to do rather than trying to figure it out. 

I'd prefer a surer thing, but I just don't see those guys coming to the Jets. I wouldn't mind Whisenhunt. 

I agree w/ you.  How many times have the jets been successfully doing the trendy thing?  Never.

Young hotshot guy is good if your ahead of the curve on it.  The jets would just be copying the current trend and it will blow up in there face.  

Ken Wisenhunt is an experienced, offensive mind who was a hair away from a super bowl win.  He has to be the guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a young guy who knows how an offense works and is ready to make The Jump. here's 3-

Jeff Monken, Army

Bob Chesney, Holy Cross

Joe Moorhead, Miss. St. 

Hiring the next least objectionable NFL coordinator (always defense) has not worked. 

On 9/22/2018 at 11:35 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

I agree w/ you.  How many times have the jets been successfully doing the trendy thing?  Never.

Young hotshot guy is good if your ahead of the curve on it.  The jets would just be copying the current trend and it will blow up in there face.  

Ken Wisenhunt is an experienced, offensive mind who was a hair away from a super bowl win.  He has to be the guy.

Ken Wisenhunt, really. Holy sh*t you want to really set the team back. He’s horrible. 

I wonder if Bowles wasn't interested in Haley as OC because he didn't want to hire his own replacement?

Haley would have been a legit interim HC and possible long-term successor.

Unfortunately, if he does replace a clueless coach, it will be Hue Jackson in Cleveland.

I wonder if Bowles wasn't interested in Haley as OC because he didn't want to hire his own replacement?
Haley would have been a legit interim HC and possible long-term successor.
Unfortunately, if he does replace a clueless coach, it will be Hue Jackson in Cleveland.
I think Haley saw a better opportunity to take over as HC in Cleveland plus stick it to his former team twice a year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Get a young guy who knows how an offense works and is ready to make The Jump. here's 3-

Jeff Monken, Army

Bob Chesney, Holy Cross

Joe Moorhead, Miss. St. 

Hiring the next least objectionable NFL coordinator (always defense) has not worked. 

Jeff Monken? A guy who has run the triple option the past 16 years?? 

This can't be real. 

On 9/22/2018 at 8:23 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

If you are going to go the old retread route, why not go for the guaranteed guy out there?  Yes he sucks in the playoffs but we haven't sniffed the playoffs in almost a decade anyway so it would be nice to get back.  Norv Turner.

Archived