Bad year for free agency

Jetster

There is almost never really good options in free agency for the oline.  The odd year you get a really good player and 25 teams want him.  The same with other skill positions, no one lets their good players go.  That is why the all the talk of fixing some of these things via fa is a hope a wish and a dream.  And that is why our GM has fubared the drafts.  Competent safeties and ilbs are falling out of the trees when you shake them but not the prime positions that our gm ignores.

GMMcClown better draft some olineman this year for a change.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Here's a nice site to look at projected FA's.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/

That list is old. Lawrence was already resigned by the Cowboys.

Our problem with free agency was the outlook of the team. We had a 39 year old QB, coming off a 5-11 season. Hell, Cleveland looked more enticing. 

And there were some good olineman available, Norwell (who I believe Macc did contact) would have been a great replacement for the declining Carpenter but he chose Carolina & I can't blame him.

40 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Pretty sure the titans have two OL men up for free agency.  The LT and a guard. Have to grab one of them

They extended LT Lewan in the off-season. So he's off the list. I do believe their OG is up for UFA

9 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Demarcus Lawrence signed his franchise tender with the Cowbows on March 5, 2018. The one year contract is worth  $17.143 million and is fully guaranteed. The Cowboys and Lawrence have until July 16 to reach a long term contract agreement or Lawrence will play the entire season on the franchise tag.

July 16th, 2018:

Report: Demarcus Lawrence, Cowboys Fail to Agree to New Contract Before Deadline

Without getting into any details becasue it's SO EARLY, I just want to say that it may not be a good year of FA for O-linemen, but it will be a good one for Pass Rushers. I don't think the Jets are that weak at WR or RB and I think TE is looking better with Herndon. I think the Jets need to bring back some of their key players on both Offense and Defense- like Enunwa and Claiborne and go after one of the top Pass Rushers that should be available in FA. The Jets will probably be picking somewhere in the middle of the first round, might be a good idea to go after a young O-lineman, as I am expecting a lot of Pass Rushers to go early. Hopefully a top tier LT will slip to the Jets somewhere in the teens. Obviously Trey Adams and Greg Little immediately come to mind.    

Some of the edge rushers in FA include Clowney, Ansah, D.Lawrence, A.Barr, Fowler Jr., KJ Wright, F.Clark. 

7 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Demarcus Lawrence signed his franchise tender with the Cowbows on March 5, 2018. The one year contract is worth  $17.143 million and is fully guaranteed. The Cowboys and Lawrence have until July 16 to reach a long term contract agreement or Lawrence will play the entire season on the franchise tag.

July 16th, 2018:

Report: Demarcus Lawrence, Cowboys Fail to Agree to New Contract Before Deadline

They can franchise him again & they will.

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Without getting into any details becasue it's SO EARLY, I just want to say that it may not be a good year of FA for O-linemen, but it will be a good one for Pass Rushers. I don't think the Jets are that weak at WR or RB and I think TE is looking better with Herndon. I think the Jets need to bring back some of their key players on both Offense and Defense- like Enunwa and Claiborne and go after one of the top Pass Rushers that should be available in FA. The Jets will probably be picking somewhere in the middle of the first round, might be a good idea to go after a young O-lineman, as I am expecting a lot of Pass Rushers to go early. Hopefully a top tier LT will slip to the Jets somewhere in the teens. Obviously Trey Adams and Greg Little immediately come to mind.    

Some of the edge rushers in FA include Clowney, Ansah, D.Lawrence, A.Barr, Fowler Jr., KJ Wright, F.Clark. 

It's also rumored to be a Strong draft for EDGE players as well. If those EDGE UFA sign elsewhere that allows the BETTER EDGE college prospects to drop, and hopefully, the next John Abraham will fall to us at #13. 

6 minutes ago, Jetster said:

They can franchise him again & they will.

They CAN, but please don't disseminate INCORRECT news.

Lawrence was TAGGED by the Cowboys not Re-Signed to a Long Term deal which is the context of "resigning" in this thread. They CAN tag him again, and they CAN also NOT Tag him, Trade him, or Rescind the Tag. 

So as of this discussion today. He's NOT re-signed for Dallas and can still remain a possibility in discussion for the 2019 Jets. 

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

They CAN, but please don't disseminate INCORRECT news. Lawrence was TAGGED by the Cowboys not Re-Signed to a Long Term deal which is the context of "resigning" in this thread. They CAN tag him again, and they CAN also NOT Tag him, Trade him, or Rescind the Tag. 

So as of this discussion today. He's NOT re-signed for Dallas and can still remain a possibility in discussion for the 2019 Jets. 

Yea ok. Semantics. The Cowboys are not letting this guy get away. The Jets don't have the draft capital to trade for him. Lawrence will NOT be a NY Jet next year and any discussion regarding his availibity to the Jets is a moot point. That I would place a bet on! 

Too much talk regarding what can we sign when more should be focused on what we can re-sign.

CB will be a top priority with both Claiborne and Skrine hitting FA.

Our entire receiving core are hitting free agency, with Robby luckly being restricted. If Steward is still on the roster make that one returning but what has he done?

We'll need to spend a large sum of money on a veteran backup. Is that McCown coming back for $8-10 mil?

We'll have zero depth at S with all our backups expiring.

Carpenter is a FA as well. Who ever is ink to play LG will be paid above market as JAG starters even got a nice check last season.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Yea ok. Semantics. The Cowboys are not letting this guy get away. The Jets don't have the draft capital to trade for him. Lawrence will NOT be a NY Jet next year and any discussion regarding his availibity to the Jets is a moot point. That I would place a bet on! 

?

tumblr_inline_o4oeamO8tl1ttcc3o_640.jpg

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Our problem with free agency was the outlook of the team. We had a 39 year old QB, coming off a 5-11 season. Hell, Cleveland looked more enticing. 

And there were some good olineman available, Norwell (who I believe Macc did contact) would have been a great replacement for the declining Carpenter but he chose Carolina & I can't blame him.

?

The list says 2019 - I don't see Lawrence on it?

1 minute ago, Ghost420 said:

Anyone who thinks Crowell, Powell, and McGuire are good enough for RBS are fooling themselves. I am not saying to get Bell but we need to draft a RB early. You think Rams would be the same without Crowell, Powell and McGuire. And we seen what Cowboys look like without Zeke. 

BUT TEH VALUE PICK!

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Im not sure what Funchess has done so far other then be a bit in between a WR and TE who struggles to separate.

If im Mac im focusing on a guard like Ali Marpert who would fit in the zone system.  Id go hard after Barr or Fowler to be an edge rusher and Id resign Enunwa, Kearse, Tender Robby and extend Powell another season.

Id resign Beachem as well as you simply cant find LTs on the open market, but to a contract that we can get out of after 2019 so that if a LT falls to us in the first round, we can take them and either trade Beachem, or have a good backup OT for 2019.

Ideally keeping Clairborne for one more year would be great, but we could also go young next to Trumaine with Nickerson, Jones and more of a mid level FA.

Our TEs are fine with Herndon developing and Sterling behind him.

Im not paying Leveon $17/season.

This is my ideal offseason. If we come out with Marpett, one of Barr/Fowler, LT in the first, and resign our own players, that’s a big offseason. 

14 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

BUT TEH VALUE PICK!

We paid Mo Wilk 17 Million for 3 sacks, lol. I've said it before, when the dust settles with Bell he's not getting 17 million. Too many teams up to the cap & not enough teams that need a stud RB. Bell isn't just any RB, the guy is special. 

7 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Barr is more likely to reach FA because the Vikings have other players to pay. Stefon Diggs is a major cost, given the prices of WR

We have no idea where we'll end up in the draft so who knows, Bosa or Oliver might be in play. You get one of those guys, Sign Fowler. And your off to the races.

3 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Don’t need Bell at the price he’d demand. Crowell, McGuire, Cannon is enough.

I love Funchess replacing Pryor. 

The big signings should be Preston Smith and (not or) Brandon Graham at OLB/Edge. That gives us a rotation of Jenkins, Smith, Graham and Luvu.

Same here HOWEVER, I'm not sure anyone is going to give him what he "demands."  I could see the Jets potentially offering the best compensation package but I don't think it would be exorbitant or out-of-line with what other top RBs are making.  If it's in line with Gurley and David Johnson then that's essentially the market rate and I'd probably be okay with that.

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

Franchise tag #2 is 120% the value of 1st tag. So he will get north of 20mill next yr if they franchise again. It is Jerry Jones so I suppose anything is possible. 

What did Mack get? Right there will answer your question. Averages 23.5 million. They'll pay Lawrence 20.

23 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

It's also rumored to be a Strong draft for EDGE players as well. If those EDGE UFA sign elsewhere that allows the BETTER EDGE college prospects to drop, and hopefully, the next John Abraham will fall to us at #13. 

Well, my thought process was the other way around. With all the top edge rushers going early, maybe a top OT prospect will fall to 13 +/-...

Archived