LB dept. : Brandon Copeland ~ ~ ~

kelly

On 4/29/2019 at 12:57 PM, kelly said:

This is the post I meant to quote above. 

This is pretty crazy. It's the firs time i'm seeing this vid posted in early May. I thought I'd bump it so maybe we cn talk about it. How the hell did I miss this one?    Let's hope we have the next Zach Thomas type of guy who simply willed his way to being great! 

The Jets will report to training camp on Wednesday, July 24 to kick off the 2019 season.In the 20 days leading up to training camp, NJ Advance Media will be counting down the 20 most important players for the 2019 season.That is: the players that will be the most important to the team’s success this upcoming season.

Checking in at No. 17 is a player who broke out in a big way and will need to be a key factor in the pass rush again this season ...

No. 20: CB Brian Poole

No. 19: OLB Jachai Polite

No. 18: QB Trevor Siemian

No. 17 ...

WHO: Jordan Jenkins

POSITION: Outside linebacker

YEAR: 4th

HOW HE DID IN 2018: In short, it was a career year for Jenkins, who more thank doubled his sack total from his first two seasons. After 5.5 sacks across 2016-17, Jenkins tallied seven a year ago, tying for the team lead in that category. Some of that pass-rush production may have come at the expense of his coverage and run stopping, however; he graded significantly worse in both categories, according to ProFootballFocus.com, in 2018 than in 2017. Still, those sacks were mighty valuable for a Jets defense that has struggled to get to the quarterback in recent seasons.

STATS: 16 games, 11 starts, seven sacks, six tackles for loss, 15 quarterback hits, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries.

CONTRACT: Entering final season of four-year, $3.12 million deal, but will make $2.025 million in 2019 due to “proven performance bonus” stipulation of collecting bargaining agreement.

WHY HE’S IMPORTANT: The Jets have improved their defensive front by adding Quinnen Williams, but they still have a huge question mark on the edge. New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams needs Jenkins to help solve that puzzle. The Jets have been searching for a consistent edge rusher since John Abraham. Jenkins, in year three, showed some potential that he could eventually become a year-in, year-out playmaker at that spot – probably not at Abraham’s level, but still productive enough to be an important force. But one year doesn’t make a career. Was last season’s seven sacks an aberration or just the start of Jenkins’ breakout? That’s the huge question facing him this season.It will be fascinating to see if Gregg Williams is able to get that same level of production or even more out of Jenkins with his creative schemes and blitzes. On the surface, the new, attacking defense seems to be a good fit for Jenkins’ strengths. Hopefully, the revamped front of Quinnen Williams, Leonard Williams and Henry Anderson should help Jenkins to find more favorable matchups, too. Now he has to prove it and maintain his 2018 level throughout this fall. Getting home and making the most of pass rushes will be vital for the Jets this season. If they manage to make plays in the backfield, this unit has a chance to thrive; if not, it will put an enormous amount of pressure on a suspect cornerback corps, which could be a serious issue.

HE SAID IT: “Every year is a contract year in my mind. Ever since I got drafted here, in the back of my mind, I know not a lot of guys think it, but I always think, ‘If I don’t do my job, I get cut.’ That’s flat how it is. There’s no securities in this line of work. There are first-rounders who get cut, second-rounders who get cut, third-rounders and so on. That’s the type of mentality I’ve had every year I’ve been here is that, if I don’t do my job, I’m gone. So that’s pretty much how I look at that. And the better I do my job, the more security you have, naturally.” – Jenkins on entering the final year of his contract.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/07/jets-top-20-will-jordan-jenkins-keep-progressing-in-gregg-williams-defense.html

• 2 weeks later...

The New York Jets need more production from their edge rushers in 2019, and Jordan Jenkins knows that actions speak louder than words.

Heading into the 2019 offseason, the Jets knew they needed to boost their pass-rushing ranks. But after missing out on Anthony Barr in free agency, the Jets are left needing the players they already have to step up in a big way this year.One player hoping to take his game to the next level is Jordan Jenkins, who tied for the team lead with seven sacks in 2018.

Jenkins wants to keep improving, but he’s more interested in letting his play on the field do the talking (via team reporter Ethan Greenberg):

I can’t just say, ‘I think I should get this number of sacks, x number of TFLs.’ I feel like I can be as great as I can be, but I have to go out there and put the work in. I can’t just say the words and not put in the work.

Now, I’m at the point where I sort of realized what I can do. I have to keep working and mentally prepare myself to have that mentality every time that I can do this and I need to do that much and more.

Jenkins’ position coach, Joe Vitt, loves the skill set he brings to to the table, as well as his mentality, work ethic, and approach to the game:

More of an athletic guy than I originally thought. He’s got great bend, he’s got better foot work than I thought, and he’s gotten extremely strong this offseason. He can bend an edge. He’s worked hard, he’s smart, he’s picked up the defense very quickly. He’s a pleasure to be with in the classroom because he’s engaging. So, I suspect and would anticipate him having a great year.

Jenkins put up the best numbers of his career last year, despite dealing with a shoulder injury. Back at full strength this season, he should be primed for yet another career year under new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who loves putting his defenders in position to make big plays in his aggressive, attacking scheme.

If Jenkins is able to stay fully healthy for the entire 2019 season, it shouldn’t be a surprise if he flirts with the double-digit sack mark.

>        https://thejetpress.com/2019/07/17/jets-lb-jordan-jenkins-man-action/

The Jets backed up the Brinks truck in order to lure C.J. Mosley to Florham Park.

It took a record-breaking $51 million guaranteed – the most ever given to an inside linebacker – and a five-year, $85 million contract for the Jets to secure Mosley’s services and hire him away from the Ravens, where he’d spent his first five NFL seasons.Obviously, it remains to be seen whether or not the Jets will get what they paid for from Mosley. But at least one outlet firmly believes he is worth the investment.

NFL Network is in the middle of revealing its list of the league’s top 100 players, slowly disclosing 10 more each night. On Wednesday, Mosley’s name was among the ones to pop up on the list; he checked in at No. 71.This is the third time that Mosley has been given top-100 honors by NFL Network, as he enters his sixth season.To this point, Mosley has played 77 career games, starting all of them. He’s tallied 597 tackles, 43 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks, nine interceptions and six forced fumbles. He’s also made four Pro Bowls.

Those numbers are a big part of why it was so surprising that Mosley ever hit the open market; most expected the Ravens to either work out an extension or franchise tag Mosley before he could become an unrestricted free agent.But once Mosley became available, the Jets pounced. Now, we’ll wait and see how the bold move – and undeniable upgrade from former linebacker Darron Lee – pans out this season and over the next few after that.

>     https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/07/how-valuable-is-jets-cj-mosley-where-he-ranks-among-nfls-best-players.html

Now one of the elder statesmen on the New York Jets defense, outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins knows what he has to do to be successful in 2019.

Heading into the 2019 offseason, fans and analysts alike pegged the outside linebacker spot as one of the biggest needs for the New York Jets.

After missing out on Anthony Barr in free agency, fans were even more concerned heading into the 2019 NFL draft. The Jets helped ease those fears by spending a third-round pick on Florida’s Jachai Polite, but there’s already one player in-house who could end up exceeding expectations.Jordan Jenkins is ready to rise to the occasion and attack whatever role he’s given in the Jets’ new scheme under defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

Now with a few NFL seasons under his belt, Jenkins feels more prepared to put together a successful season than ever before (via team contributor Randy Lange):

Yeah, I’m older. Just turned 25. I’m more mature than I’ve been. I know the workload it takes to be a player in this league, and I know what needs to be done to get better.

If you don’t put in the work every day, it’s not going to happen. Stuff ain’t given to you. You’ve got to go out there and earn it.

A third-round pick in the 2016 NFL draft out of Georgia, Jenkins has appeared in 46 games over his three seasons in New York, making 37 starts. Last season, he posted a career-high seven sacks, giving him 12.5 for his career so far.The Jets are loaded along the defensive line, especially after adding No. 3 overall pick Quinnen Williams to an experienced group that includes Leonard Williams, Henry Anderson and Steve McClendon. But the team desperately needs an impact edge rusher to get after opposing quarterbacks, and while Polite has potential, Jenkins has the experience and polish to make an immediate impact this season.

It sounds like Jenkins is prepared to build on last year’s success by re-setting the bar for his career-best numbers.

>    https://thejetpress.com/2019/07/30/jets-jordan-jenkins-maturity-experience/

The New York Jets got a steal in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft in former Minnesota Gophers linebacker Blake Cashman.

Stories like New York Jets rookie linebacker Blake Cashman’s are the reason we love the third day of the NFL Draft.

Cashman, who was taken by the New York Jets in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft, was a captain out of Minnesota who excelled obviously on defense but made his mark — and earned his scholarship — by going beast mode on special teams.He started out his college career with the Gophers as a preferred walk-on, and it took him two years to eventually get a scholarship. It’s hard to believe when you consider what we know now, but Cashman wasn’t always a top-flight linebacker prospect.

In fact, he wasn’t a linebacker at all.

He was a converted defensive back who became a team captain at linebacker, but maintained his elite level speed and explosiveness. He ran a 4.50 at almost 240 pounds, and posted a 37-inch vertical jump.This guy is the real deal, and he has the production to match that athleticism. He racked up 104 tackles with 15 tackles for loss this past season.Working in with the starters at Jets camp, Cashman got picked into a great situation with the Jets whose defensive coordinator — Gregg Williams — can find ways to incorporate three off-ball linebackers on the field at the same time with a primarily 4-3 alignment.

The Jets aren’t the only team using a 4-3 anymore, but they are a rare team with the personnel to be able to keep their linebackers — big-money free agent pickups Avery Williamson and CJ Mosley along with Cashman — on the field for all three downs if they want.Cashman can cover. He has range. He can play downhill. He can do a little bit of everything.

He also showed off his interview skills with a pre-draft sit-down with NFL Mocks podcast host Brooks Austin, which you can listen to here:

For whatever reason, the NFL — which is a league in desperate need of linebackers who can play all three downs — let a guy like Cashman slip through the cracks all the way to the fifth round. Some people are higher on Cashman than others but this is a guy who can come in and lead your team in special teams snaps as well as provide your defense with more options than a Swiss Army knife.

think everyone around the league is going to quickly realize their error in passing on Cashman.

>    https://nflmocks.com/2019/07/31/new-york-jets-blake-cashman-not-surprisingly-impressive-far/

• 3 weeks later...

Rich Cimini   ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets ILB Avery Williamson suffered a torn ACL last night against the Falcons and is done for the season, a source confirmed. It happened late in the second quarter, when he was the only defensive starter in the game. The top candidate to replace Williamson, who was starting alongside C.J. Mosley, is Neville Hewitt.

>    https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Avery Williamson’s absence in the middle of the Jets defense won’t decimate the team, but it will turn what was once a strong, stable unit into an inexperienced, youthful and potentially compromised section of the defense.After Williamson suffered an ACL tear that will sideline him for the entire 2019 season, the Jets have a couple of options to replace him alongside C.J. Mosley. None of them are close to the player Williamson is, but two could prove to be solid replacements.

First, there’s journeyman Neville Hewitt. He’s the most experienced next man up who’s played well throughout camp this summer. Hewitt is quick, aggressive and he played in Miami during Adam Gase’s first two seasons as head coach of the Dolphins. He played mostly on special teams in 2018 but did see 267 defensive snaps and four starts at the end of the season. Hewitt should get the first crack at taking over for Williamson, but don’t count out rookie Blake Cashman.The Minnesota product flashed potential during training camp and in the preseason, especially in coverage. With so many injuries to the Jets secondary, Cashman’s skillset would go a long way in lessening a weak link in the defense. While he still needs to work on his tackling, indoctrinating Cashman into the starting role early could accelerate his development. Cashman is also a proven leader as a captain in college and could turn into a quality fifth-round pick if he proves worthy of taking the starting job.

The rest of the backups – James Burgess and Anthony Wint – likely won’t win the starting role, but should see increased snap shares as Gregg Williams continues to solve the puzzle of his own defense. Both Burgess and Wint are relatively inexperienced and don’t offer as much upside as rolling with Hewitt or Cashman.There isn’t a perfect move to account for the loss of Williamson. But, what the Jets should do is maximize the potential of their backups – namely Hewitt and Cashman. A healthy mix of both will ensure the best of the duo will rise to the top.

Hewitt deserves the first look after he stepped in nicely at the end of the 2018 season when Darron Lee missed the final four games with a suspension. In his four starts, Hewitt amassed 16 tackles, 1.5 sacks and four quarterback hits. His skill set should fit nicely with what Williams is trying to do on defense.As for Cashman, he’ll play a much bigger role than originally thought, especially on passing downs. The Jets know what they’ll get out of Hewitt, but Cashman could prove to be incredibly valuable down the stretch if he is able to catch on to the speed of NFL offenses.

Replacing a starter is never easy, but it will be less detrimental to the integrity of the defense with Williams running the show and Mosley holding down the linebackers in the middle. Those two minds will become even more valuable to whoever takes over for Williamson.Between Hewitt and Cashman – with the help of Williams and Mosley – the Jets should be able to make up for the loss of Williamson, and could inadvertently find their inside linebacker tandem of the future if they decide to part ways with Williamson at the end of the season. If the Jets cut Williamson after the 2019 season, they’ll only be on the hook for $2 million in dead cap. The answer isn’t the best or the cleanest but could be just enough to keep the Jets defense intact.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/17/jets-linebackers-depth-neville-hewitt-blace-cashman-avery-williamson-acl/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

Rich Cimini     ESPN Staff Writer 

LB Albert McClellan is a depth signing for the Jets. His forte is special teams. In seven games for the Patriots in 2018, he played only eight defensive snaps but had 123 on special teams. In the postseason, he had the sixth-most special teams snaps (55) on the team. The Ravens, his team from 2011 to 2018, used him the same way last season before cutting him — a heavy emphasis on "teams." Don't expect him to be an immediate replacement for LB Avery Williamson in the lineup; he hasn't played since the Super Bowl and will need time to get in shape and get acclimated. He was a defensive regular in 2016, but he wasn't the same after ACL surgery in 2017. GM Joe Douglas overlapped with McClellan in Baltimore. There's the connection.

The Jets have signed LB Stephone Anthony, who was released Sunday by the Falcons. Anthony (6-3, 245) was the Saints' first-round pick in 2015. He was traded to the Dolphins in 2017 and played under Adam Gase. The Jets have been in the linebacker market since losing Avery Williamson last Thursday to a season-ending knee injury. In 50 games, he has 150 tackles and one sack. To make room for Anthony, they waived S Santos Ramirez.

Rich Cimini       ESPN Staff Writer 

Tough week for the Jets' linebacking corps: First, Avery Williamson (season-ending knee injury), now Brandon Copeland (four-game PED suspension). Copeland wasn't a lock to make the team, evidenced by his fourth-quarter appearance in Atlanta. That said, he's been getting some first-team work this week. This hurts their depth and special teams (he played on the PR and KOR units). It may explain why they signed LB Stephone Anthony. The Jets have a solid OLB in Jordan Jenkins. Their other OLB spot is shaky. What about rookie Jachai Polite? He's on the third team, struggling in his first camp

Rich Cimini      ESPN Staff Writer 

LB Brandon Copeland, who is eligible to practice during his four-game PED suspension, didn't practice Thursday because of a thumb injury that occurred Wednesday, per Adam Gase. There was no sign of him in the locker room, either. Said Gase: "He's one of the guys in the locker room who tries to do everything right. It's an unfortunate situation. I know it's tough for him to deal with." Gase said they knew a suspension was likely coming. That, he said, factored into the decision to use Copeland with the backups in the first two games.

>      https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

It’s not often that a former Super Bowl MVP is released in August, but Malcolm Smith is an exception.

A former seventh-round pick of the Seattle Seahawks’, Smith was a part-time starter on Pete Caroll’s Super Bowl teams. In Seattle’s route of the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 48, Smith recorded a pick-six and recovered a fumble, earning one of the more unlikely MVPs in league history. He left for Oakland in 2016 but stayed in the Bay Area when he signed with the 49ers a season later.Smith was released by San Francisco on Monday after signing a lucrative five-year deal just two years prior. A name like his on the market should surely intrigue a team like the Jets, who have experienced their fair share of blows at linebacker this summer.

It’s been a rough few years for Smith. He missed the entire 2017 season with a torn pectoral. Upon his return in 2018, he started five of 12 games for San Francisco. His stay with the 49ers was riddled with disappointment, but the free agent could move on from two disappointing seasons and become a fixture in Gregg Williams’ defense in 2019.Gang Green has more than a few issues at linebacker right now with MLB Avery Williamson lost for the year after he tore his ACL in the team’s second preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons. A couple of days later, OLB Brandon Copeland was handed a four-game suspension for testing positive for steroids.

Smith, experienced on the inside and outside, could immediately help the Jets situational pass-rush and run defense. He collected 226 total tackles in his two most recent full seasons (2015-16), demonstrating the defensive force he can be in Oakland. He would also add a veteran face to a room filled with young and inexperienced players.New York has liked what Harvey Langi, Tarell Basham and Frankie Luvu have all shown throughout training camp, but none are ready to take on the role of a starter. With Copeland suspended and Jachai Polite failing to have a breakout training camp, the Jets are left with mixing and matching for the first four weeks.

There is no risk in taking a flier on Smith, who would serve as an instant upgrade no matter how the Jets use him. With the Jets viewing themselves as potential contenders, it’s better to bank on experience rather than raw potential.

>    https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/28/malcolm-smith-new-york-jets-linebackers-49ers/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

-- When C.J. Mosley signed his record-breaking contract on March 13, he became known as "The $85 Million Linebacker." While he appreciates the commitment by the New York Jets, he isn't fond of the label. He doesn't believe success should be measured by the size of a paycheck. If there's a number that reflects his personal journey, which began in a small town on Alabama's Mobile Bay, he'd like it to be 32.Mosley wore No. 32 during his decorated career with the Alabama Crimson Tide, his tribute to late childhood friend Robert Hardy, who donned the number as a middle-school football player. Hardy was 13 when he collapsed on a basketball court, felled by a heart condition. It happened on June 10, 2006, and it crushed Mosley, who served as a pall bearer at Hardy's funeral and dedicated his career to the memory of his friend.

As kids, they always talked about playing college football together. To this day, Mosley remains humbled and inspired by Hardy. He had to change his uniform number to 57 to conform to NFL policy, but his feelings for "three-two" remain the same."That was C.J.'s best friend," said Jamey Mosley, C.J.'s younger brother and a rookie linebacker on the Jets' practice squad. "C.J. doesn't really show a lot of emotion, but you can tell that definitely fueled him. Robert is very near and dear to our hearts. We all grew up together. That was something that definitely motivates us. [His death] was very instrumental in our lives. We love to dedicate everything we do for Robert."

They've done him proud.

The Jets begin a new era on Sunday against the Buffalo Bills (1 p.m. ET, CBS), and one of the driving forces behind it is C.J. Mosley. He's the quarterback of the defense, providing the brains and, yes, plenty of thump. You haven't heard a lot about him this summer because he doesn't do a lot of talking. He's a reserved leader who learned discipline and a blue-collar work ethic from his parents -- Tracy, a parent-teacher coordinator at his old high school, and Clinton, a shipyard supervisor who once held him out of a middle school game because he didn't complete a school assignment.

In a way, Mosley, 27, is a football nerd. He sits in the first row of the defensive meeting room, takes meticulous notes (he learned that from a social studies teacher in high school) and highlights the important stuff with a yellow marker when he reviews the notes later that night.His cerebral approach helped him to four Pro Bowls in five seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, and now he's hoping to achieve more by venturing outside his comfort zone. He has more freedom than ever to make pre-snap adjustments for the defense, and he has emerged as more of a vocal leader than in the past.Mosley runs the traditional players-only defensive meeting at the end of each week, a gathering to discuss the game plan, scouting reports and any issues that come up. It's an open-mic session, with Mosley leading the discussion -- something he didn't do in Baltimore.

"That's been different for me," he said. "It helps me to grow a little more as I get older. You always want to figure out something you can get better at, whether it's on the field or off the field. That's going to expand my horizons more because I can see what everybody else sees and what they're talking about. We'll get closer as a unit."On the field, Mosley is entrusted to call the signals. In Gregg Williams' system, the middle linebacker has more latitude than your typical Mike 'backer. If he suspects a vulnerability on defense based on how he reads a formation or an offensive line split, he has the ability to change the defensive call on the fly. The coaches not only want him to do that, they expect it -- and they expect him to be right a lot more than he's wrong.

"Cooperstown is -- what? -- three out of 10 and you're going to the Hall of Fame," senior defensive assistant Joe Vitt said. "It has to be better than that."

Vitt recalled a Baltimore game last season that illustrated Mosley's importance to the defense. He went out with a knee injury in Week 2 against the Cincinnati Bengals, and "the Ravens' defense couldn't get lined up" without him, Vitt said.In fact, the Ravens were so out of sync they allowed a touchdown on four straight possessions after the injury.Vitt, 65, is a crusty coach who doesn't do many superlatives, and yet he practically gushed when talking about Mosley."He excels at [running the defense]," Vitt said. "You get a guy who's smart like he is and takes on that responsibility. ... Look, he's big, he's physical, he can tackle, he's productive, he's got great character. That's a special guy."Nose tackle Steve McLendon offered a unique description of Mosley, saying he practices "from the neck up" -- meaning with mental intensity. And on game day, "now he's doing it with the rest of his body. He throws his whole body into it."Jets coach Adam Gase called him "an action guy," not a talker. But Mosley will raise his voice if he deems it necessary. One day in training camp, the offense broke off a couple of big runs. Mosley walked past Gase, the offensive playcaller, and barked, "That s--- stops now!"

It stopped.

Mosley was a two-time captain at Alabama who was drafted in the first round by the Ravens to replace one of his boyhood idols, Ray Lewis. There was a one-year gap between Mosley and Lewis, one of the greatest middle linebackers in history, but the challenge was clear. He didn't flinch. Mosley, the anti-Lewis (no dancing, no fiery speeches), maintained the level of excellence. His hero noticed; Lewis called him the best middle linebacker in the league."He was the example of a linebacker in Baltimore," said former longtime Ravens linebacker Albert McClellan, who was re-signed by the Jets on Monday. "We all thought he would be the next Ray Lewis, that he would take over the defense and keep it for 10, 10-plus years. Some things you can't control."

Economics changed everything.

The Ravens let Mosley hit the free-agent market, and they were outbid by the Jets, who gave him the richest contract in history ($17 million per year) for an inside linebacker. (The Seattle Seahawks' Bobby Wagner has since passed that mark with $18 million per year.) The Jets, desperate for Mosley's culture-changing presence, Godfather'd him: They made him an offer he couldn't refuse.When the enormity of the contract was mentioned to Mosley, he fidgeted. He seemed uncomfortable talking about it.You do the right thing long enough," he finally said, "you get blessed with great opportunities."Mosley's approach hasn't changed.

"He's always been locked in, very studious about the game," Jamey said.

That Jamey and C.J. play for the same NFL team is storybook stuff. Weekends will be easier for their parents, who used to attend Jamey's college games at Alabama and hop a flight to wherever the Ravens were playing the next day. Now the family will be together. Hardy's name will come up, because it usually does in happy times. Just the other day, Jamey received a photo from his mother of him wearing No. 32 in a youth-league game. The number is part of their lives.

"He's with us wherever we go," said Jamey, who wore No. 16 at Alabama.

On draft night in 2014, C.J. Mosley was exhausted after a long day of hype and speculation. After leaving Radio City in New York, Mosley -- selected 17th overall -- retired to his hotel room. He walked into the bedroom and saw an athletic T-shirt on his bed. Hardy's younger brother had left it for him. It had a number on the back.

Of course it was 32.

>    https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/80767/jets-c-j-mosley-embraces-new-start-but-wont-let-go-of-his-past

While the rest of the Jets prepare for their Week 1 opener against the Bills, Avery Williamson is getting ready to go under the knife.

The Jets linebacker will have surgery on Thursday to repair his torn ACL, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. Williamson’s surgery will be performed by Dr. James Andrews in Alabama.Williamson tore his ACL during the Jets’ preseason game against the Atlanta Falcons after Adam Gase left the starter in a little longer than usual. The injury ended the middle linebacker’s season.

The 27-year-old will be missed in the middle of New York’s defense after leading the team in tackles a season ago. The Jets listed Neville Hewitt as the starter in Williamson’s place opposite C.J. Mosley, and they have a promising rookie in Blake Cashman who can help against the run and pass. The Jets also brought in Albert McClellan for additional depth.

As for Williamson, he will have no choice but to spend his second year with the Jets rehabbing and on the sideline.

>      https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/05/jets-lb-avery-williamson-to-have-surgery-thursday/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero

When the Jets signed C.J. Mosley to a five-year, $85 million deal this offseason, many questioned why they would give an inside linebacker who couldn’t rush the passer $17 million annually. The Jets had several holes on defense and could have spread that money across multiple positions instead of giving it all to one player with 8.5 career sacks. But after Week 1, Mosley proved he was worth all the money, both for what he did on the field and what happened after he left the game with a groin injury.

The Jets brought in Mosley to be a culture-changer and the quarterback of the defense. He did just that by leading the Jets with two of the team’s four first-half takeaways. Mosley returned an interception for a touchdown, forced a fumble and broke up what would have been a Bills passing touchdown while also finishing with five total tackles in 3.5 quarters of play.Mosley was everywhere, and the Jets defense looked unstoppable with him in the lineup. Josh Allen looked like a deer in headlights, the running game couldn’t muster anything and the Bills offense sputtered on every drive in the first 40 minutes of the game. In his final act before leaving the game, the linebacker blanketed John Brown in the endzone and batted away Allen’s pass before Brown could haul it in for a touchdown late in the third quarter. 

It was on that play where everything changed for the Jets defense.

When Mosley injured his groin and left the game, the Jets suddenly couldn’t stop the Bills. The Bills scored all 17 of their second-half points with Mosley out of the lineup and the Jets allowed 170 yards on three defensive drives after allowing only 179 on the previous nine Bills drives. 

Simply put: Mosley is the glue that held the Jets defense together. Without him, they fell apart.

A lot of Mosley’s worth comes from his play on the field. He’s arguably one of the best coverage inside linebackers in the league and the Jets paid him to be that. But his leadership, experience and ability to solidify the middle of the defense makes him almost invaluable. The Jets don’t have a defensive leader if Mosley isn’t playing. Jamal Adams is a vocal piece who brings swagger to the unit, but he can’t command the defensive huddle or call the plays from the secondary. Defensive lineman Leonard Williams is too inconsistent and the rest of the linebackers are too young or unproductive. Mosley is the man, and without him, Gregg Williams and the rest of the defense looked lost.

Fellow inside linebacker Avery Williamson – who the Jets lost for the year with a torn ACL – said it best back in April when he explained how bringing in Mosley would help the Jets’ defense:“He’s going to be a great addition to this team,” Williamson said. “Not only in leadership-wise but with his play. That’s what we need: Guys like himself that can finish games and to get [us] to where we need to be.”

The Jets needed Mosley to close out the game against the Bills. Without him, they crumbled under the pressure and blew the 16-0 lead Mosley helped deliver before his untimely departure. It’s unclear if Mosley’s groin injury is serious or not. If it is, Gregg Williams will need to rework his gameplan to account for the absence. Without his veteran linebacker, the Jets went with rookie Blake Cashman at the other inside linebacker spot alongside Neville Hewitt – another replacement-level player starting for the injured Williamson. That duo simply won’t cut it for the Jets, and it could be deadly for the rest of the defense if Mosley is out for an extended period of time.

Paying Mosley an exorbitant amount of money looked like another massive over-pay from a front office no longer in power. Week 1 proved that narrative false. Mosley was worth every penny the Jets paid him, and without him, New York looks like a completely different defense.

>       https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/09/c-j-mosleys-week-1-performance-shows-he-was-worth-the-money/

C.J. Mosley, not practicing because of a groin pull, is holding out hope for Monday night, but he didn't sound overly optimistic. "I expect to play (Monday), but if my body isn't there, I won't be able to," he said. Mosley said he hopes to test it tomorrow. He said he has to be smart because it's early in the season and he doesn't want to make it worse. He acknowledged he has difficult planting and driving because of the injury. His replacement at middle linebacker would be Neville Hewitt.

>     https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Rich Cimini  ESPN Staff Writer 

The Jets' already undermanned linebacking corps has absorbed another hit: Jordan Jenkins (calf) is doubtful to return. Remember, C.J. Mosley (groin) is out for the game and Avery Williamson (knee) is out for the season.

• 1 month later...

Jets LB C.J. Mosley, sidelined since Week 1 with a groin injury, said today he intends to play Monday night against the Patriots. Mosley said he was encouraged by how he did in individual drills and expects to increase his workload tomorrow. This would be huge for the Jets. Coach Adam Gase was cautious, saying earlier Mosley is day-to-day.

>      https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

• 2 weeks later...

The New York Jets have experienced an apocalyptic catastrophe to their linebacker position. Here are the latest details on Blake Cashman.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get worse, it has for New York Jets fans.

On Thursday Jets head coach Adam Gase spoke to the media and gave a cryptic injury update on rookie linebacker Blake Cashman:

“In addition (Blake) Cashman won’t practice today with a shoulder. We’re going through a lot of evaluations, we should have more information available later today.”

Cashman was hurt in practice earlier this week and when Gase was pressed for more information from reporters he said: “The team was really worried about him and that the injury was just an awkward thing.”

This continues a snake-bitten like rash of injuries for the team at the linebacker position.

In the preseason the Jets lost starting linebacker Avery Williamson for the season. During the season opener vs the Buffalo Bills, CJ Mosley hurt his groin, missed a month of action,came back and reaggravated the injury and likely won’t play again this season.A key reserve who had played really well in Mosley and Williamson’s place Neville Hewitt has been battling an array of injuries and he’s out for Sunday’s game vs the Miami Dolphins.The Jets placed Albert McClellan on injured reserve earlier this week due to injury. Now the cherry on top of this injured linebacker pie is Blake Cashman now being ruled out for the year with a torn labrum and fractured shoulder, per multiple reports.

Blake started the last five games for the green and white before suffering a serious shoulder injury in Wednesday’s practice.This is not only a problem for 2019, where the Jets are decimated at the position, but this Cashman shoulder injury continues a discouraging trend of shoulder issues he had at Minnesota in college.This means the only two healthy bodies are James Burgess and BJ Bello who was added to the roster this week. The likely starters for Sunday’s game are Burgess and outside linebacker Brandon Copeland, per ESPN’s Rich Cimini.

>    https://thejetpress.com/2019/10/31/new-york-jets-lbs-completely-imploded-blake-cashman-injury/

• 4 months later...

Neville Hewitt believes he’s ready to become a full-time starter and hopes to do that with the NY Jets. Here are all the details from an exclusive interview.

Last season the NY Jets dealt with some obscene levels of adversity.

The linebacker room was decimated by injuries (Avery Williamson tore his ACL in the preseason and CJ Mosley hurt his groin Week 1 vs the Buffalo Bills). This forced role players and practice squad players into the starting lineup.While the overall team success wasn’t great (7-9), the players made the best out of an incredibly crappy situation.One of those players that stepped up to the plate was NY Jets linebacker, Neville Hewitt.Hewitt recently sat down with Boy Green on The Jets Zone to answer some pressing questions ahead of free agency. Here is some of the top questions from that conversation. You can listen to the full interview by clicking here.

Q: What was going through your mind when the linebacker room got devastated by injuries last year?

A:

“I mean it was crazy but it wasn’t the first time I’ve seen something like this happen. Back in my third year with the Miami Dolphins, the same thing happened in our linebacker room. Koa Misi got hurt and his career was over. I got injured and Raekwon McMillan went down too. So I’ve seen it happen before.

The coaches always say prepare as if you’re a starter. So when this happened I was prepared for it. I had been playing will linebacker and I had that down so I wanted to learn another position so I cross studied mike linebacker. Then I was doing well there so I got some preseason reps at the mike position. They say everything happens for a reason.

On one side you hate to see your brothers get hurt, I played with Avery Williamson the year before, but at the same time we had to be ready for that opportunity and I thought all the guys who stepped up did a great job.”

Q: So what’s it like playing for defensive coordinator Gregg Williams?

A:

“It’s cool man. He’s going to get the best out of you, he’ll coach you hard, and everyone is held accountable. That’s the way it should be and I like that. You know we are all crazy in some way and he’s just a great coach and we love playing for him.”

Q: You seem like a really humble guy Neville, but let me give you a chance to talk about yourself, what do you bring to the table?

A:

“If you turn on the film you’ll see a lot. I don’t know how many linebackers play ‘mike’ and also play on special teams. I’m a versatile guy, I can play any of the linebacker positions. You tell me what you want and I’ll do it to the best of my abilities.I’m training to be ready for when that fourth quarter hits and a play needs to be made that I’m your guy. I’ve really taken the next step in becoming a better professional athlete. This entire offseason I’m trying to jump into that elite status. I’m doing way more than I’ve ever done from running to weightlifting and I’ve been doing that since two weeks after the season ended. If you bring me in I’m going to come to work every day.”

Q: So with you becoming an unrestricted free agent in a few weeks what is most important to you? What are you weighing when you’re making this decision on your future?

A:

“You know everybody wants to make some money, but the one thing I want to do before I’m doing playing is win a Super Bowl. I want to compete in the playoffs. I don’t care where I play once you get to a place you get familiar with people and then you get settled in and you can get to work. I just want to go somewhere that wants to win. If we all do our jobs, everyone is happy. If we go out and chase the championship and work as hard as we can: the fans will be happy, the owner will be happy, and when the time comes to get paid you’ll be happy.”

Q: Last one before we get you out of here, have you and the NY Jets started talking contract yet? And also after your experience last year, do you think you’re ready to be a starter full-time in this league?

A:

“We spoke at the meetings at the end of the season they told me they love me and I love the NY Jets. I’m going to let that stuff play out, I don’t really want to get into it, but at the end of the day everyone is going to make the best decision for them.In terms of being a starter, I absolutely think I’m ready to contribute at that level. This may not be humble to say this but I’m going to be one of the most in-shape guys in the league entering next year. I’m in the best shape of my life and if you ask any of the staffs I’ve been with before (Jets or Dolphins) they’ll tell you I come in top shape. I could step in and play in a football game right now.”

>     https://thejetpress.com/2020/03/03/ny-jets-neville-hewitt-ready-become-full-time-starter/

• 9 months later...

Rich Cimini   ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets MLB Neville Hewitt, who calls the defensive signals, says he "thought about checking to something" different on Ruggs TD. "At the time, I was like, ‘You know what? Let's try to get there.' I was close to getting a sack. I was close to getting him, but he stepped up and threw it up. Most of us would say we should've been ... in a different call, but I don't question GW's decision on that play. He wanted to get after him and that's what we tried to do." (Via Jets official podcast)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

680715848_1526936.gif

2 minutes ago, kelly said:

Rich Cimini   ESPN Staff Writer 

Jets MLB Neville Hewitt, who calls the defensive signals, says he "thought about checking to something" different on Ruggs TD. "At the time, I was like, ‘You know what? Let's try to get there.' I was close to getting a sack. I was close to getting him, but he stepped up and threw it up. Most of us would say we should've been ... in a different call, but I don't question GW's decision on that play. He wanted to get after him and that's what we tried to do." (Via Jets official podcast)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

Close!? Hewitt waited forever to blitz. He is still 2 yards from the line of scrimmage when Carr is 7 yards deep in his drop with some Jet defenders 10 yards past the line of scrimmage and Ruggs executing his hitch 13 yards down field. WTF were you waiting for Nevillel!!!!! 

jet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

it’s possible the Jets’ longest-tenured player has played his last down with the team.

Adam Gase said there is a “really good possibility” that Jordan Jenkins, an impending free agent, needs shoulder surgery, per ESPN’s Rich Cimini. Jenkins was a free agent last year and returned to New York on a team-friendly deal after his market never materialized. Any hopes of a better contract this offseason could be wiped out now, however.

Jenkins’ season, and possibly Jets career, ended with just two sacks and 32 tackles in 2020 prior to getting hurt.

rest of above article

>      https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/17/new-york-jets-injury-report-jordan-jenkins-shoulder-surgery/

bee1d5426128a17ab6803347d1d4e6e1.gif