PFF: Darron Lee Best Coverage LB In NFL So Far

BroadwayRay

Come on Lee haters, dive right in. I'm sure you can make some hay out of his mediocre run-defense ratings ...

Jets’ Darron Lee is the best coverage linebacker in football through Week 2

BY AUSTIN GAYLE • NEW YORK JETS  DARRON LEE  MATTHEW STAFFORD  THEO RIDDICK  DAVID NJOKU  DUKE JOHNSON JR. • SEP 18, 2018

USATSI_11221950_168384674_lowres.jpg?w=9

Darron Lee’s first-round pedigree set forth lofty expectations he simply fell far below in his first two seasons with the New York Jets. The former Ohio State product ranked dead last among the 87 NFL linebackers with at least 800 defensive snaps in overall grade (41.6), and coverage grade (35.5), across 1,666 defensive snaps played in 2016 and 2017.

However, early signs point to Lee shifting the trajectory of his career from bust to boom in 2018.

Lee currently leads all 73 linebackers with at least 50 defensive snaps through Week 2 in overall grade (92.0) and coverage grade (93.1) and has accumulated 13 combined tackles (11 solo), seven defensive stops and two interceptions in the process. Targeted 16 times, the sixth-most among linebackers, he has allowed just 77 yards, three first downs, and no touchdowns. His passer rating when targeted (47.1) and yards allowed per reception (5.5) rank fourth and fifth, respectively, among linebackers targeted at least five times this season.

Of course, sample size concerns will persist for at least the next few weeks, if not further, given the 1,666 defensive snaps Lee has played at a disastrous level. But the subtle improvements evident in his tape against the Detroit Lions and Miami Dolphins give weight to the argument that Lee’s success, specifically in coverage, is sustainable.

Running a 4.47-second 40-yard dash at 6-foot-1, 232 pounds at the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine, Lee was highly coveted for his speed and athleticism entering the draft, but up until his recent performances, it hasn’t been on display. The former high school cornerback struggled early in man coverage and was slow to pick up the needed tendencies and technique for various zone-coverage assignments. Three NFL offseasons, 843 coverage snaps later, Lee has limited his previous inefficiencies.

Lee’s two interceptions of Matthew Stafford were products of strong play in zone coverage. He returned his first pick 36 yards to the house after passing off Lions’ Golden Tate to his teammate’s zone and jumping in front of a pass intended for running back Theo Riddick. The latter was gifted to him from Stafford largely because he nailed his dropback depth to fill his assigned zone while reading the quarterback’s eyes.

The stark improvement in Lee’s coverage grade is largely responsible for his league-leading overall grade – and rightfully so, given the value of coverage play compared to run defense. However, Lee’s next steps towards a tenable seat among the league’s best linebackers will be to maintain his success in coverage and prove at least tolerable against the run.

Lee sits atop the list of the NFL’s 40 highest-graded linebackers (minimum 50 defensive snaps), but he is the only one on the list with a run-defense grade below 53.0. Lee’s Achilles heel when defending the run, dating back to his days at The Shoe, has been his inability to shed the second-level blocks of offensive linemen, and even Lee’s stellar start to the 2018 season hasn’t been without poor block-shedding. Through two weeks, Lee ranks 26th among the 43 linebackers with 30-plus run-defense snaps in percentage of snaps with a negative grade (15.0 percent).

Looking ahead to Week 3, the Cleveland Browns’ offense will test Lee’s legitimacy in coverage and against the run. Four-year veteran running back Duke Johnson Jr. and second-year tight end David Njoku have both proven to be mismatch problems in the past, putting the pressure on Lee to deliver for the third consecutive week.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

Great. Hope the positive trend continues.

It’s safe to expect the haters will complain about the “tiny” sample size though. 

guy who wrote the article mentioned sample size, that makes him a hater,? no it makes him someone who doesn't take 1666 snaps of crap and ignore them.

PFF is being pretty objective here.  Lee is doing well at what he was supposed to be good at.  

We saw him get run over last Sunday, and in Detroit.  

Its up to Kacey to have Lee focus on plays in space and not rely on him primarily to eat blockers and RBs through the line.   Adams is actually better at that, 20 pounds lighter.  

26 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

So in year three he can finally do what he was already supposed to be good at and has made no progress on what we knew he was bad at. SUCK IT HATERS.

I am just surprised a player can play, and get better.

Who would have guessed to not totally buy into mob message board snap judgements?

46 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Williamson is essentially playing the David Harris role

WHat I remember of David Harris in his prime is better than what I have seen so far from Willimson. Not killing the guy, just an observation. And, like, Lee, its a small sample. So we wait, we watch. We see.

Williamson was supposed to be very good against the run.  

I continue to believe that issues we have observed with both Lee and Williamson could also be in large part due to how they are used and schemed.  I am not getting the sense that our DC uses his personnel in the best way.  

2 hours ago, BroadwayRay said:

Lee sits atop the list of the NFL’s 40 highest-graded linebackers (minimum 50 defensive snaps), but he is the only one on the list with a run-defense grade below 53.0. Lee’s Achilles heel when defending the run, dating back to his days at The Shoe, has been his inability to shed the second-level blocks of offensive linemen, and even Lee’s stellar start to the 2018 season hasn’t been without poor block-shedding. Through two weeks, Lee ranks 26th among the 43 linebackers with 30-plus run-defense snaps in percentage of snaps with a negative grade (15.0 percent).

NYcB6uZ.gif

Let’s say game 1 was an aberration and skewing these stats...I wonder how well he did in coverage last week. Jets got gashed with big runs often so I’m only curious about coverage and I hope he puts it all together. 

Adams has looked really good in coverage so far besides that huge 3rd and 19th botch which I believe was on him and the coaching staff. 

Again, I would be happy to eat a ton of crow this year and crap feathers all the way to the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He has played well.  He did not play as well previously.  Everyone has been wrong about him.  Everyone has been right about him.

Exactly, let’s revisit this at mid-season and see where he stands.  If he can maintain this over a more prolonged period of time then we could have some more optimism.  

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I wonder what @RoadFan thinks of this. He seems to think Lee is worthless.

Lee hasn't had to play a TE worth a sh*t yet.  Only two weeks.  I didn't even notice him on the field against Miami.  Did anybody else?

Detroit doesn't even have a tight end and Miami's TE was in his 2nd game as a pro. 

Lee admitted he knew the Lions' signals.  Is it fair to assume that provided him an advantage in coverage for week 1?

Lee might be improving, I hope he is... I really do.  But I am tired of people trying to force a below average player at me the second he has a decent game.  And as for profootballfocus, it is just a piece of the puzzle.  The eyeball test is also a big piece.  

Keep trying JoJo... 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

PFF is being pretty objective here.  Lee is doing well at what he was supposed to be good at.  

We saw him get run over last Sunday, and in Detroit.  

Its up to Kacey to have Lee focus on plays in space and not rely on him primarily to eat blockers and RBs through the line.   Adams is actually better at that, 20 pounds lighter.  

Never understood the hate for Lee when he gets blocked out of a play by a pulling guard or OT. I mean, he was drafted as a speed player(those with short memories forget we had Harris and Bart Scott running in treacle for years and complained about our D lacking speed and pursuit) those speed guys inevitably give up bulk, they are not supposed to meet 315 pound linemen and expect to Win those battles....so basically, yeah he’ll get run over in those scenarios. The key is to not put him in that position in the first place.

i get complaining that if he doesn’t do well in coverage or pursuit but when you draft a player like Lee you have to accept he will lose those 1 on 1 battles with linemen in the same way as you’d expect Leonard Williams to lose one on one battles with WR’s if you played him at CB

Great. Hope the positive trend continues.
It’s safe to expect the haters will complain about the “tiny” sample size though. 

Im no Lee hater but someone would have a really strong point by mentioning that. No?

Mayhem mabin looked really good for the jets for two weeks one time. Member dat???

I give the guy full credit he made two really great plays on the ints.  I believe those both looked like zone defense to me.  I still don't think he can actually cover well one on one.  He can make plays fro side to side if kept clean.  Adams is a better up at the line run stopper....thus my continuing blasting of the two picks. 

Archived